The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, I am new and have been reading this thread for a while.
I hope HM and the closest folks are comforted by the ceremony the Duke had so well prepared for them. Here in my hometown Copenhagen we had the flags halfway down to show the connection and respect for a prince of ours (royal house P. was born to) who has died. Our Queen admired the british for her lifelong service and dedication. Though surely our royals would have loved to be able to attend for the BRF it seemed to be a very intimate and probably therefor appreciated service.

I do not know the Lady Mountbatten, can someone explain where she was seated or seen?Txs.
Somebody asked where the German princes sat. Well, when the coffin stopped at the beginning of the choir on the left side row 1 Philipp sat and on the top row the Princes from Baden and Hesse. Philipp can again be seen in the background when the Tindals are leaving the choir and walking away from the chapel.

Lady Pamela Mountbatten is Lady Pamela Hicks. She is the cousin of Prince Philip.

I also thought that more people than 13 million would turn in to Watch the Duke's funeral, for the same reasons you stated.
WOW 31 million for Diana's funeral, I didn't know that. That's a record that I wonder if anyone can replicate!!

Worth pointing out the 13.6million figure is not the final figure, in a week or so those that watched online (via iplayer, ITV Hub and on catchup services) will be added to that. I'm sure it won't skyrocket loads higher but another million here or there possibly. Add to that the figures from youtube channels aren't included and it certainly isn't anything for the Palace to worry about IMO. This article gives the ten most watched shows in the 12 months from March 20
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/meghan--harry-bake-bgt-20206441
The top one is a statement by the PM announcing the easing of lockdown restrictions - 18.8m viewers, the second with 14.6 million viewers is another PM statement, the Queen's address mid Covid got 14million viewers.... so all in all nothing to worry about IMO. (Worth noting the PM's address announcing the first lockdown got 26million viewers but that really was history making announcement that affected everyone and everyone wanted to watch it live as it happened)

Worth pointing out the 13.6million figure is not the final figure, in a week or so those that watched online (via iplayer, ITV Hub and on catchup services) will be added to that. I'm sure it won't skyrocket loads higher but another million here or there possibly. Add to that the figures from youtube channels aren't included and it certainly isn't anything for the Palace to worry about IMO. This article gives the ten most watched shows in the 12 months from March 20
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/meghan--harry-bake-bgt-20206441
The top one is a statement by the PM announcing the easing of lockdown restrictions - 18.8m viewers, the second with 14.6 million viewers is another PM statement, the Queen's address mid Covid got 14million viewers.... so all in all nothing to worry about IMO. (Worth noting the PM's address announcing the first lockdown got 26million viewers but that really was history making announcement that affected everyone and everyone wanted to watch it live as it happened)

They really should figure out a way to include YouTube views. I'm know many people, including myself, watched that way.

Having watched the procession again on YouTube it touched me so much to see the family all waiting for the coffin to pass by. I noticed the Countess of Wessex holding Louise’s hand with her other arm around James and just thought how normal it was, a mother comforting her children.

I thought the funeral was very well done, in spite of covid. Amazing that four singers could sound like a whole choir. I watched it on BBC here in NZ; we didn't have ITV here so i have no idea what that was like. I did notice the woman who said there were great-grandchildren there (Louise and James); I would have thought she could have got such a basic thing as that right. I loved how Sophie had her arm around James. Everyone looked so sad.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me why the pallbearers had no gloves when they first put Prince Philip's coffin on the landrover, but had switched to gloves when they took him inside St George's?

Two different groups of pallbearers: the first was The Queen's Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards (leaving the Castle; Philip previously was Colonel of the Grenadier Guards - taken over by Andrew) and the second group was from the Royal Marines (into St George's Chapel; Philip previously was Captain General of the Royal Marines - taken over and removed from Harry).

A background story on the pallbearers of the Grenadiers.

Last edited:
Lady Pamela Mountbatten is Lady Pamela Hicks. She is the cousin of Prince Philip.

Lady Pamela Hicks was not attending the funeral. I assumed it was Countess Mountbatten of Burma (her niece-in-law) who did attend whom valeas was asking for.

Last edited:
The funeral of Prince Philip was very moving and a perfect farewell.
I loved the readings, the music and the attention to small personal details.
The uniformed armed forces on the grass were amazing.
I liked the bugle and connection to all fallen - in War and Covid - it seemed to me.
The carriage and ponies.
The flowers on mirror polished green Land Rover.
I think Prince Philip would have been very proud of his family.
It was a beautiful day of fine weather.
My thoughts and prayers were with the Queen, her family and all of the UK.

Thankfully, we were able to watch on free to air TV, with no advertisements. We chose Prime 7 Ballarat because it offered the longest live coverage, and a full screen at all times. I appreciated the silence along with relevant commentry imparting non opinionated, respectful views.

Last edited:
The Queen sat on her own was heartbreaking. What a cruel time we live in when even comfort is denied to the grieving in a chapel. How many others has this happened to over the last year I wonder.

She looked so small & frail & vulnerable.

I thought so too. I know she is an elderly lady but IMO she has always given the impression (in public at least) of being an energetic person despite her years. But yesterday...it was just so sad to see her as you say looking so small, fragile & vulnerable.

I'm sure the weeks of his final illness were a great trial for her. I don't care what anyone says, no matter how long you may know in your mind that a loved one is dying, in your heart you are never prepared for it.

May God grant her peace, strength and courage to go on without her "strength and stay".

I came across something today that totally tugged at my heartstrings. On Facebook, there was a picture posted of the Queen at the funeral service with a single tear running down her face. That grabbed me. Although I rarely do, I decided to read the comments that people have left. So many of them were women that became widows also during this pandemic and wrote to truly empathize with the Queen.

Perhaps it really was unintentional but for so many people, the Queen, starkly sitting so alone embodied what so many women have felt and are still feeling in the recent past. They identified with her loss. Once again, the Queen represented not only herself but reflected the loss of so many other women.

I came across something today that totally tugged at my heartstrings. On Facebook, there was a picture posted of the Queen at the funeral service with a single tear running down her face. That grabbed me. Although I rarely do, I decided to read the comments that people have left. So many of them were women that became widows also during this pandemic and wrote to truly empathize with the Queen.

Perhaps it really was unintentional but for so many people, the Queen, starkly sitting so alone embodied what so many women have felt and are still feeling in the recent past. They identified with her loss. Once again, the Queen represented not only herself but reflected the loss of so many other women.

I saw that photo, though not on FB.........I felt like I was intruding on that private moment. That was incredibly heartbreaking. Of course, I also felt that way looking at Charles in particular, but that photo of the Queen with the tear running down her cheek was so moving, so powerful, so poignant. She really did look fragile and vulnerable, and I'm so glad that she has her children and grandchildren to be there for her.

From ITV's This Morning a refection and discussion on the Funeral of the late Duke.

Lady Pamela Hicks was not attending the funeral. I assumed it was Countess Mountbatten of Burma (her niece-in-law) who did attend whom valeas was asking for.

Yes, thank you very much.

The wreath is lovely. Are those laurel leaves?

I bet it was already discussed and I'm already sorry, but where was Prince Michael?

I bet it was already discussed and I'm already sorry, but where was Prince Michael?

He could not be accommodated among the 30 mourners that were allowed. This also applied to for example The Duchess of Gloucester who also couldn't come due to the limited number of spots available. And I am sure there were many others whom they truly had hoped to include but unfortunately couldn't.

He could not be accommodated among the 30 mourners that were allowed. This also applied to for example The Duchess of Gloucester who also couldn't come due to the limited number of spots available. And I am sure there were many others whom they truly had hoped to include but unfortunately couldn't.

The Countess Mountbatten of Burma before a cousin? I mean Princess Alexandra was there too.

By the way, it's a shame that you can't see her completely, I mean Princess Alexandra.

Charles has gone to Wales to privately grieve... This sounds very much like how HM mourns her father every February 6, privately with her thoughts. Wales seems to be gloriously beautiful - it seems the perfect place for Charles to mourn and ponder what lies ahead. I’m glad for the baby steps he and his sons took.

'There was no official wake after the funeral, but Charles, William and Harry took the opportunity to speak and catch-up face to face after many months apart.

'They were only able to spend a short time together outdoors given Covid restrictions and also without staff, including senior courtiers, overhearing what was being said.

'It was important to Charles and William that they were both there together. It means nothing spoken about can be misconstrued in the future.'

Given the tensions, sparked by claims of racism and uncaring behaviour by the Royal Family when Meghan says she was suffering from mental health issues, a full rapprochement did not occur.

Another senior royal insider said: 'There is much pain and hurt on both sides, so this reconciliation will take place in baby steps.

'First, they need to decide on some ground rules as to how they conduct business going forward in a way that makes all parties feel safe and protected.'

Crucially, Charles and William have the Queen's support to deal with the situation.

The source explained: 'The Queen has made it clear to senior advisers that she is united with Charles and William, and was disappointed with aspects of Harry and Meghan's interview.'

But Charles decided he needed to contemplate on a solitary basis in peace at his Welsh hideaway, a £1.2million converted farmhouse in the Brecon Beacons.

It is believed his wife Camilla has remained in London, where she is continuing with private commitments.

My source added: 'Charles felt he wanted to reflect alone.

'He also wants to attend to the thousands of letters sent to him in condolence of his father's death.

'He is acutely aware that this is a hugely significant moment in his life and he feels like he has the weight of the world of his shoulders.

'All his life he has been heir to throne, but Prince Philip was the patriarch of the family.

'Overnight that's changed, and it's impacted him both professionally and personally.

'He needs time to think and contemplate the future of the Royal Family after what was a very difficult week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-Welsh-bolthole-privately-grieve-father.html

Charles has gone to Wales to privately grieve... This sounds very much like how HM mourns her father every February 6, privately with her thoughts. Wales seems to be gloriously beautiful - it seems the perfect place for Charles to mourn and ponder what lies ahead. I’m glad for the baby steps he and his sons took.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-Welsh-bolthole-privately-grieve-father.html

I'm not surprised Charles needs to be alone. He looked absolutely gutted on Saturday. No matter how much you think you're prepared, you're never really ready for someone you love to die.

Back
Top Bottom