The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder why Princess Anne wore her medals and the Garter while even The Queen did not?

I think she was, like the men, wearing the medals and star in lieu of the uniform she would have been wearing had circumstances been different. The Queen would have been wearing civilian clothes no matter what.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss, Moran.

Where should obituaries and other articles about the Duke of Edinburgh be posted from now on, as the Death thread and his former News/Events threads have been closed?

We will create a new thread for the Duke of Edinburgh today where such information can be posted.

Edit: you can find the thread here.

Last edited:
To be fair, the coverage was extremely respectful to all attendees. Also at Diana's funeral we have seen images during the service. For an example during the eulogy spoken by Lord Spencer, we have seen the royal family captured in the cameras.
I don’t remember seeing other family members. I do remember the other readers including Diana’s sister and I do remember her brother’s eulogy.

I have just finished watching the funeral on the Royal Family Youtube Channel. It was very poignant and beautiful from the military tribute and procession to the chapel service. I got emotional when I Vow to Thee My Country, Jerusalem and Nimrod were played, as well as A Lament, The Last Post and God Save the Queen. The singing from the Choir, (consisting of soprano Miriam Allan and lay clarks Tom Liliburn, Nick Madden and Simon Whiteley) were absolutely beautiful. I was moved especially by Psalm 104.

One of the memorable moments was Prince Philip's driving carriage with his two ponies (being comforted by two drivers), as well as his cap, coat, gloves, blanket and bottle (with red cap/lid) of sugar treats for the ponies. This was where Nimrod was played.

That was when I started blubbering, combination of the ponies, hat and gloves along with Nimrod.

I’ve just seen Katie Nichol’s error now going back to the part I missed yesterday. Shocked to see her making such an error after seeing her on so many Royal documentaries during lockdown.

That must have been Reeta, I was sure that was what she said but haven’t needed to go back to my recording as it’s all on YouTube to watch back. The BBC coverage on YouTube cuts off just before Reeta’s error as it was when the news started.

Edward being both the youngest child and the oldest when he became a parent himself (39; Charles was 33, Anne 27 and Andrew 28) does put Louise and James closer in age to their cousins once removed rather than their cousins, but in COVID times it was a surprising error. That they were seated with Edward and Sophie during the service should have made it obvious who they were.
Katie Nicholl, and other British and non-British royal reporters, make errors all the time. She made an egregious error in a written cover story she did on Princess Anne for Vanity Fair, which is much more damaging because that misrepresentation has been and will be used as evidence of a "royal tradition" that is in fact not a royal tradition.

I think this comes about because a reporter may start reporting a certain royal (or royal adjacent), and they get certain visibility and media outlets start inviting them, or they make themselves available, to give commentary about royals and miscellaneous royal matters. Apparently how knowledgeable they are about royals in general, royal history and conventions isn't a deciding factor in them getting these assignments and opportunities.

Again, Katie Nicholl is not the only royal reporter I have seen give erroneous information, but the Vanity Fair misinformation was (to me) beyond to pale.

I don’t remember seeing other family members. I do remember the other readers including Diana’s sister and I do remember her brother’s eulogy.

no, there were no images of hte RF during the service.. mainly I think to protect the boys, who were probalby in tears by then....

Yes she was and wearing a 50s style hat.

Many thanks

Flags have been raised at Buckingham Palace and other buildings ending the period of National mourning for the late Duke of Edinburgh.

The Queen sat on her own was heartbreaking. What a cruel time we live in when even comfort is denied to the grieving in a chapel. How many others has this happened to over the last year I wonder.

She looked so small & frail & vulnerable.

It has happened many times. when my mother died inn March last year, we were allowed 10 at the funeral, and that included the minister and 2 funeral people. There were only her six children and one granddaughter who recorded the service for the rest of our family, No hugging, no common meal, no get together, It was horrible. we went to the funeral, had a 40min service and came home again. We didn't like it, but we had to accept. Sadly, these things happen sometimes. We had an outdoors graveside service. It turned out, it was not we wanted as a family, but our Mother only ever wanted a small service. In years to come, they will remember today's service as what Prince Philip wanted.

I couldn't read the card but from waht I could see it looked more like "In loving memory". I cant see the queen writing someting like "I love you Lilybet" or Even "Lillibet"...

I just saved a still of the image and rotated it to try and read the words. I'm pretty sure it is "In loving memory", but what is written below is obscured by some foliage. I wouldn't be surprised if it was "Lillibet" though. That message is quite appropriate and proper, and consistent with what we know of HM, I think. No reason for her not to write "Lillibet" as it is well known that is a family name used for her.

It has happened many times. when my mother died inn March last year, we were allowed 10 at the funeral, and that included the minister and 2 funeral people. There were only her six children and one granddaughter who recorded the service for the rest of our family, No hugging, no common meal, no get together, It was horrible. we went to the funeral, had a 40min service and came home again. We didn't like it, but we had to accept. Sadly, these things happen sometimes. We had an outdoors graveside service. It turned out, it was not we wanted as a family, but our Mother only ever wanted a small service. In years to come, they will remember today's service as what Prince Philip wanted.

It is a pity but realy we know that there are rules and theyr're there for a purpose.. The queen isn't going to be one who breaks the rules.. and PHillip himself has always said he didn't want a big fuss so I suspect the smaller service would have pleased him...

Was Lady Sarah Chatto present ?

She probably was but I must have missed her.

Yes, she was definitely there. I don't know how to link it from my Android but she photographed sitting in a car, on the front page of the Daily Mail.

It was a beautiful funeral, I liked the music
the picture of the Queen sitting alone in the chapel, made me sad, but I think, it fitted her state. She lost her companion and husband of 73 years.

I've read a few articles saying that the wake was cancelled, yet people walked to the castle after the service, so there had to have been a gathering. Do we know who were among the 15 people who attended.

That’s very likely because other people were going to see it...this was private and final. Her parents called her Lilibet, but no one else after except Philip. We’re just going to have to disagree...we’ll never know for sure, in any case.

Pretty sure more than those three people called her Lillibet. Like Pamela and Patricia Mountbatten amongst others....

I've read a few articles saying that the wake was cancelled, yet people walked to the castle after the service, so there had to have been a gathering. Do we know who were among the 15 people who attended.

We do not know for sure if 15 attended, we have been told there was no wake. They all needed to go back to the castle for their transport home, so under any circumstances of any funeral even in Covid, there would be farewells and transport arranged.

They possibly split in to their own family groups, it is a big castle with lots of rooms, I am not sure but I thought the senior royals had their own rooms there but I could be wrong.

Pretty sure more than those three people called her Lillibet. Like Pamela and Patricia Mountbatten amongst others....

I think that all her family called her Lillibet..

I just saved a still of the image and rotated it to try and read the words. I'm pretty sure it is "In loving memory", but what is written below is obscured by some foliage. I wouldn't be surprised if it was "Lillibet" though. That message is quite appropriate and proper, and consistent with what we know of HM, I think. No reason for her not to write "Lillibet" as it is well known that is a family name used for her.

In the end it doesn't really matter and it was a private note. It could have been "Lillibet" or "your devoted wife", but it would have been very charming if she had signed it "cabbage."

Hello, I am new and have been reading this thread for a while.
I hope HM and the closest folks are comforted by the ceremony the Duke had so well prepared for them. Here in my hometown Copenhagen we had the flags halfway down to show the connection and respect for a prince of ours (royal house P. was born to) who has died. Our Queen admired the british for her lifelong service and dedication. Though surely our royals would have loved to be able to attend for the BRF it seemed to be a very intimate and probably therefor appreciated service.

I do not know the Lady Mountbatten, can someone explain where she was seated or seen?Txs.
Somebody asked where the German princes sat. Well, when the coffin stopped at the beginning of the choir on the left side row 1 Philipp sat and on the top row the Princes from Baden and Hesse. Philipp can again be seen in the background when the Tindals are leaving the choir and walking away from the chapel.

"The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral was watched by more than 13 million television viewers in the UK, overnight figures showed. The one-hour service was viewed by 11 million people on the BBC, 2.1 million on ITV, and around 450,000 on Sky.
(...)
In 2002, more than 10 million watched the funeral of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in the UK - though that ceremony was held on a Tuesday. In 1997, the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was watched by 31 million people - a record audience figure. And some 13.1 million tuned into the BBC's coverage of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56792086

I thought a lot of people would watch it live because the Duke has been a prominent public figure here for as long as most of us can remember.

Gordonstoun in Scotland held its on tribute yesterday to the late duke and past pupil.

"The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral was watched by more than 13 million television viewers in the UK, overnight figures showed. The one-hour service was viewed by 11 million people on the BBC, 2.1 million on ITV, and around 450,000 on Sky.
(...)
In 2002, more than 10 million watched the funeral of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in the UK - though that ceremony was held on a Tuesday. In 1997, the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was watched by 31 million people - a record audience figure. And some 13.1 million tuned into the BBC's coverage of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56792086

I thought a lot of people would watch it live because the Duke has been a prominent public figure here for as long as most of us can remember.

And these numbers will only go up, the overnight figures are always lower than the total which come out in about a week or so and include those who watched on iplayer, itvplayer etc.

Last edited:
A photographer was hidden in a fake pillar at the top of the stairs. Flawless preparation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14681960/yards-away-raw-emotion-philips-funeral-pain-up-close/

I was so impressed with the planning and the changes that needed to be made due to Covid. The overhead shot of the pallbearers on the steps outside encapsulates the gorgeous and detailed work that went into this event:

That’s Arthur Edwards, who is highly respected by the BRF. Prince Philip suggested he “hide” there for photos..

And these numbers will only go up, the overnight figures are always lower than the total which come out in about a week or so and include those who watched on iplayer, itvplayer etc.

The Dean of Canterbury seems to have thought that around 2.5 billion people world wide would have watched at least some of it but I can't find out where he saw that figure or if it's at all accurate.

Telegraph article on Philip and Charles’ relationship - by Charles’ biographer, Sally Bedell Smith. I love reading

The long-held conventional wisdom about Prince Philip and his eldest son emphasised their perceived differences: the father brusque, resilient, stoic, assertive, disciplined and self-contained; the son sensitive, insecure, introspective, emotive and vacillating. As Philip once said: “He’s a romantic, and I’m a pragmatist.” Yet both men were also known for their inquiring minds, their probing questions in conversation and their absorption in intellectual pursuits such as interfaith dialogue, as well as their shared interests in sports and culture. Prince Philip was as sensitive as his son, but he worked hard to hide that side of his personality.

In fact, their similarities were far more important and helped smooth their relationship as each man grew more mellow and tolerant in recent years. Charles equally came to accept his father’s influences that he had previously resisted and even rejected. This new mutual affection was evident throughout Philip’s final illness, when Charles stayed in constant contact with him. As Charles assumes his new role as paterfamilias as well as chief supporter of the Queen, the imprint of Prince Philip will likely come into sharper relief.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...hilip-prince-charles-forged-rocky-beginnings/

I watched the funeral later in the day our time .. deeply moving simply who Prince Philip was devoted honourable it was a quiet celebration of a massive life the music was magnificently chosen by HRH everything was perfect I remain in awe of HM ...

Back
Top Bottom