The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen sat on her own was heartbreaking. What a cruel time we live in when even comfort is denied to the grieving in a chapel. How many others has this happened to over the last year I wonder.

She looked so small & frail & vulnerable.

Where are those reports coming from?

I think that one was Hello magazine!

I remember there being a very distressing report in the papers last year about some official at a crematorium who'd reprimanded a son who'd gone to comfort his grieving mother at his father's funeral. I appreciate that the virus doesn't care what the occasion is, but it's very hard for someone to have to sit alone at a loved one's funeral.

Maybe James just didn't feel comfortable walking behind the coffin. He hasn't been in the public eye very much, and this would have been a very difficult time to have public attention on him.

Last edited:
The wreaths of the Presidents and foreign royals have been placed on the outside of the chapel. Right of the entrance. You can see it on the TV coverage. We saw Edward and Sophie looking at them on Thursday. There is a really striking on from the people of Canada.

I think everything they read was printed out in the order of service available from the monarchy website.

Yes, it was, except for the Blessing by the Archbishop.

It was first posted by Iluvbertie and reposted by Tatiana Maria as a courtesy but I guess a third time won't hurt for those who missed their posts in the many posts about his death and funeral.

Order of Service

I personally thought they did a rather good job in keeping sufficient distance from the mourners; there were some more close up images but mostly it was from a distance. I agree with you that those that were seated in the second section were not seen as often; it was rather dark and clearly the cameras could only 'reach' them from a distance.

Check the entrance of the procession into the quire for some images of both the German relatives and partial/limited images of the other family members; the dukes of G and K could be seen several times during the service (but it might help if you know where they are seated).

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart broke for the Queen- I so admire her. Like “ Mummy “ on Diana’s coffin “ I love you, Lilybet “ seemed to say everything.
I cried a lot today- at the carriage of ponies- at the staff standing guard , at the coffin with his hat. He would have rolled his eyes.
One little bit of humor- I had no idea the floor would open- I said “ Oh my, YRH hope they don’t drop you”! He would have laughed!
You’re never ready for this day, but I am happy. No doubt it was a Royal send off, but it was so Phillip- no fuss.

A look back at today's Funeral of the late Duke of Edinburgh.

This is a sad send off and it shows just how horrible Covid is because Prince Philip's fundraising and public service deserved a much more numerous funeral than this.

The BBC has posted an edited version of the funeral:

So beautiful...the music is gorgeous. Seeing tiny HM look so fragile is difficult...Everyone is so obviously bereft ...I truly hope they can spend some time together

My heart broke for the Queen- I so admire her. Like “ Mummy “ on Diana’s coffin “ I love you, Lilybet “ seemed to say everything.
I cried a lot today- at the carriage of ponies- at the staff standing guard , at the coffin with his hat. He would have rolled his eyes.
One little bit of humor- I had no idea the floor would open- I said “ Oh my, YRH hope they don’t drop you”! He would have laughed!
You’re never ready for this day, but I am happy. No doubt it was a Royal send off, but it was so Phillip- no fuss.

Is that what the note said? ?????????

Last edited by a moderator:

The note on the floral from The Queen was "In loving memory"

This is a sad send off and it shows just how horrible Covid is because Prince Philip's fundraising and public service deserved a much more numerous funeral than this.

God willing, the Royal Family will probably plan something appropriate in his memory, after COVID.

its not a sad send off at all. He never wanted a big funeral and it is quite impossible to have one at presnet.

Personally I found this far more poignant, tranquil, beautiful and immensely regal than any big public funeral in overcrowded streets of London would have been.

The same for the Trooping. The ceremony in the quadrangle last year was so beautiful. It must be the combination of the mediaeval setting in lush green countryside. It is so different from marching through London's streets with public behind fenzes gazing at royals.

Last edited:
Wow, that’s a gut punch seeing the board change to just the. Queen ...

I am always intrigued by the seating chart at royal events. If Prince Philip’s funeral was in non-COVID times, who would have been invited from the extended Royal Family, the Germans, the Mountbattens, the Greeks, foreign royals, etc? Would it have been a couple of representatives or would it have been everyone? Who would have sat opposite the Queen and in the rest of the Quire? How many seats are there in the Quire anyway?

I am going down the rabbit hole looking at weddings and funerals at both Westminster and St George’s.

The title of the sub forum has changed to just "Queen Elizabeth II"

I read somewhere that HM has hosted up to 15 people for a reception after, the current Covid guidelines only allow up to 15 people to take part in something like this but I'm glad it means (if it did happen) that HM didn't just have to go back to her apartments by herself.

The title of the sub forum has changed to just "Queen Elizabeth II"

I read somewhere that HM has hosted up to 15 people for a reception after, the current Covid guidelines only allow up to 15 people to take part in something like this but I'm glad it means (if it did happen) that HM didn't just have to go back to her apartments by herself.

Oh dear I missed that. Thank you.

Has a woman ever been in a choir that sang at a royal ceremonial funeral before? Presumably a first? If anyone knows.
At Diana’s funeral, Lynne Dawson (soprano) sang with the BBC Singers part of Verdi’s Requiem, Libera Me. It was stunningly beautiful but absolutely gut wrenching. :sad:

The Jubilate by Benjamin Britten in C was stupendous.

Wow, that’s a gut punch seeing the board change to just the. Queen ...

It does feel so very strange. It almost feels like the world itself is a bit off kilter this week. I’m sure it won’t stay that way for long but he’s been such an ingrained part of life for so long...

I am always intrigued by the seating chart at royal events. If Prince Philip’s funeral was in non-COVID times, who would have been invited from the extended Royal Family, the Germans, the Mountbattens, the Greeks, foreign royals, etc? Would it have been a couple of representatives or would it have been everyone? Who would have sat opposite the Queen and in the rest of the Quire? How many seats are there in the Quire anyway?

I am going down the rabbit hole looking at weddings and funerals at both Westminster and St George’s.

Already before COVID the Duke stated: no fuss please. Also that simple Landrover showed his desire to keep it sober. Undoubtedly we would have seen more people but it would have been Prince Philip's wish not to endulge in too pompous ceremonies.

The fact that it was his wish that no sermon or eulogy was spoken already shows the desired simplicity. So a big Westminster or St Paul's funeral? Maybe it also would have been a Windsor funeral, like today, when there was no COVID.

Last edited:
Yesss! Saw it again. That's an astute observation. Btw, Sir Timothy Laurence and Prince Harry bowed before leaving the chapel. Whom did they bow to?
They were bowing to the cross at the altar. Anglicans do this (bow our heads) as the cross processes up (or down) the aisles and if you walk by the altar, we stop and bow. Genuflecting is a bit different: you go down on one knee, generally before the sacrament.

I think I did read somewhere once in one of those very speculative articles journalists right frequently that Philip had said he wanted his funeral to be at Windsor, this was reported back a long time ago i.e. years and years ago. That said I read in recent days about the Land Rover being earmarked to take Philip from London to Windsor etc as if a London aspect was planned. TBH I could imagine something very much like today but with a longer route - maybe down the Long Walk and back into town to St George's through the Henry VIII gateway.

Catholics genuflect to the altar only when the Blessed Sacrament is kept behind it. I don't know what the Anglican custom is.
Anglicans genuflect for the sacrament as well; but they didn’t have Holy Eucharist at this funeral - which some people do, so there wasn’t anything to genuflect to. People were bowing to the cross as an act of thanks and devotion.

Originally they had planned for 800 People to attend though that would have been for the Funeral in London at Westminster’s Abbey. It would have included Royals from all the current houses in Europe and representatives from all the commonwealth countries.

I imagine Jill Biden would have attended as a representative of the U.S., Our First Ladies usually attend these kind of events

They were all marvelous. Having buried several people I love I can't even being to imagine how difficult it must be to have to mourn and say goodbye someone you love dearly with thousands of people watching. They all did it so beautifully even as you could see the sorrow and heartbreak on their faces.
I’m glad you brought this up. Truly, it was a lovely, moving, and dignified service. The only thing that bothered me was the cameras on the 30 mourners. I did not think it appropriate for the public to essentially intrude on the grief of this family. There were no cameras on the mourners at Diana’s funeral. The readers, clergy, singers - absolutely. I was honestly shocked that they showed the family during the service. Before and after - ok. But not during a religious service even though for the most part, the cameras were at a distance. Just my opinion. I believe it would have been more respectful to allow them their privacy.

Back
Top Bottom