The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I missed it, but apparently Camilla squeezed Charles’ hand. It breaks my heart that The Queen can’t have that, and no longer has her husband to do that.

She looks so fragile. It breaks my heart too. Charles is broken. He has taken this very hard.

He has...no matter how old your parent is, there’s never a “right” time to die..

Oh wow, I’d hoped they’d play bagpipes - I love them, so beautiful, so mournful, so appropriate for the DoE.m

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish piper - Flowers of the Forest.

Last edited:
Why was The Last Post (traditionally piped in the evening, if I understand correctly) played before and not after Reveille (traditionally piped in the morning)?

A moving version of GSTQ.

It was such a moving service.

Beautiful service. RIP Prince Philip.

Wasn't that also played at the late queen mothers funeral too?

Possibly. I can't remember. I do recall that the Irish lament Oft in the Stilly Night was played at the funeral of the QM.

Last edited:
Lovely, poignant service that I believe Philip would have approved of.

The Queen left a note on the coffin,,.????

I truly felt for The Queen. For the first time to me she truly seemed alone. She appeared so tiny with her head down and unsure. It must be horrible, no matter how strong your faith, to realize that your husband, sister and parents...those you have known you best and longest are only memories.

Is there now a reception planned? Or will everyone now go to the own home?

The Royal "29" have chosen to walk back to Windsor Castle instead of by car.

Lovely, poignant service that I believe Philip would have approved of.

The Queen left a note on the coffin,,.????

It was a beautiful and moving service. God bless the Queen. She was very strong today, as she always has been.

That was a beautiful, poignant service.

What a BEAUTIFUL moving service...worthy of a prince. If the late DoE chose those hymns i commend him.

And I could not possibly admire Elizabeth II more than I do.

I saw Beatrice's husband Edoardo gently put his right arm around her, caress her back and embrace her as they were exiting with the family. He always appears so loving and solicitous of Beatrice.

Unfortunately, I overslept and missed some of the service. I pray there will be a recast of it later.:sad:

Last edited:
The service was beautiful but I think my favorite images are those we just saw of the family walking together afterwards. The scenes of William, Kate, and Harry together along with Sophie, Kate, and Louise along with Charles and Camilla, Peter and David, etc. were beautiful and so needed both for them and for all of us. They were clearly still wiping their eyes and were quite understandably emotional but it was so nice to see them all together and less formal that they were before the service.

The fact that this funeral was conducted according to the correct Covid regulations shows that the monarchy is an integral part of our national story.

If you are watching the BBCs youtube coverage you can rewind it back Moonmaiden

Would there normally be a homily by the Archbishop during the service if it were not for Covid?

Will be buried straight now? Where?

The coffin was lowered into the vault while they were playing the trumpets. It was done off-camera, I think.

Last edited:
Would there normally be a homily by the Archbishop during the service if it were not for Covid?

No, Philip didn't want one. Homilies/addresses/eulogies are allowed.

Complaints about the commentary on American television networks can be addressed by emailing these networks. TRF is not able to do anything about it.

Remarks about the duke and duchess of Sussex can be made in their thread in the Sussex forum, not here.

The cap and whip on the seat of the carriage with his ponies pulling it really got me.
That was for me one of the most emotional moments. First, when the ponies and carriage arrived and then seing the cap and whip and everything.

Back
Top Bottom