The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2021, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What a BEAUTIFUL moving service...worthy of a prince. If the late DoE chose those those hymns i commend him.
The Duke of Edinburgh apparently commissioned someone decades ago to set Psalm 104 to music, and it was first performed at his 75th birthday. Psalm 104 praises God's sovereignty over nature and also references the sea, the ships.

That was really a very poignant service. Lots of tributes in Scripture and in the music to Prince Philip's naval career (the sea), and his love of nature. He really planned this thoroughly.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Very moving service, the music was lovely. I felt for the Queen who sat alone. I watched it on CPAC (Canadian Parliamentary channel) which live streamed the BBC's coverage. I appreciated that commentators were quiet throughout the service and did not distract from the dignity of the service.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanDi View Post
What do they all stand for?

They are the banners of the current living Knights/Ladies of the Garter, I think.

During the broadcast, the standards of the King of Spain, the Queen of Denmark and the King of Sweden could be seen several times for example.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanDi View Post
What do they all stand for?
Those are the Garter banners of the living Knights and Ladies of the Garter. The banner with the three lions for example is Queen Margrethe II of Denmark's banner. Behind hers is King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden's.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
When the Garter King of Arms proclaimed Prince Philip's titles and styles, I wonder why his Commonwealth orders (e.g. Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Order of Canada, etc.) were not mentioned.

I understand foreign orders are not listed, but I don't think national Commonwealth orders should count as "foreign" since the Queen is the Sovereign of those orders and they have been established by Letters Patent under the Royal Sign Manual and the Great Seal of the respective realm.

I didn't see it clearly, but, in addition to the insignia of the Orders of the Garter, Thistle and of the British Empire, the Order of Merit and the Royal Victorian Order, I believe the Duke's Commonwealth orders were also laid on the altar.

Yes the commonwealth Orders where also on the Altar and also his greek and danish Orders

Old 04-17-2021, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank, you I did not realize, suddenly something was different.
I'm not used to this ceremonial, on Greece it goes to the earth ground in the cemetery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
The coffin was lowered into the Royal Vault during the service.
However it's likely that this is just a temporary arrangement - it's believed that both he and The Queen will eventually be interred in the King George VI Memorial Chapel - with King George VI, his wife Queen Elizabeth, and the ashes of Princess Margaret.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
A moving version of GSTQ.
Indeed it was and so poignant with the queen now on her own.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
When the Garter King of Arms proclaimed Prince Philip's titles and styles, I wonder why his Commonwealth orders (e.g. Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Order of Canada, etc.) were not mentioned.

I didn't see it clearly, but, in addition to the insignia of the Orders of the Garter, Thistle and of the British Empire, the Order of Merit and the Royal Victorian Order, I believe the Duke's Commonwealth orders were also laid on the altar.
It was stated on one of the shows on American TV showing a woman sewing the orders, etc. on the cushions, that Prince Philip personally chose exactly the ones he wanted presented. There were altogether too many more and he thought these were the ones. He must have had a reason that only he knew. Maybe just due to the size of where they were displayed. I am certain it was not due to any disrespect. JMO
Old 04-17-2021, 11:34 AM
Serene Highness

30 people are allowed for a funeral, but only 15 for a reception afterwards. Rather awkward having to tell 15 people that they didn't make the cut so they can't even come in for a cup of tea, but those are the rules ... although I suppose you can get away with the other 15 standing somewhere in the grounds.

The music was lovely, but it was very sad to see the Queen on her own. She seemed to hesitate for a few moments before she went into the chapel ... it was probably just according to plan, but it was as if she was waiting for Camilla and Kate to come through the doors behind her.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

Is it normal for the coffin to be brought to the Vault off-camera? I'm used to that being shown as well but here the cameras cut away.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Thank, you I did not realize, suddenly something was different.
I'm not used to this ceremonial, on Greece it goes to the earth ground in the cemetery.
In most funerals in the UK that would be the same, however, he is not buried in the ground on a graveyard but is interred in a royal crypt. That only happens to very few people/members of the royal family.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

It's a lovely afternoon so they can gather in groups of 6 in the garden, swapping around between groups as they wish.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

Has a woman ever been in a choir that sang at a royal ceremonial funeral before? Presumably a first? If anyone knows.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Is it normal for the coffin to be brought to the Vault off-camera? I'm used to that being shown as well but here the cameras cut away.

Actually i found this a good solution especially as the Family sat close by. At the Funeral of the Queen Mother it was different as the Funeral Service ws at Westminster Abbey and the actual Interment took place later in the day in private.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I was concerned about the family not having a private moment at the lowering of the coffin. So, I thought it was executed very well. We could see how the coffin was being lowered but only up to a certain point. After that the family was given a private moment at what for many might have been the most emotional moment of the service.

A different way to achieve the same as for example the Dutch royal family that will all go down in the crypt after which the curtains are closed so the family can say their goodbyes in private.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
The coffin was lowered into the Royal Vault during the service.
However it's likely that this is just a temporary arrangement - it's believed that both he and The Queen will eventually be interred in the King George VI Memorial Chapel - with King George VI, his wife Queen Elizabeth, and the ashes of Princess Margaret.

If the Plan is for both Philip and HM to be buried into the George VI. Memorial Chapel i wonder why he was not straight interred there

Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

That was very moving and very much personal as i always imagined P.Philip to be..

The bagpipe player especially made me tear up..

And the way the family after the service ditched the cars and decided to walk home, like so many families do after a funeralservice..
Old 04-17-2021, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It's a lovely afternoon so they can gather in groups of 6 in the garden, swapping around between groups as they wish.
I’m so glad about that...they need this.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I was concerned about the family not having a private moment at the lowering of the coffin. So, I thought it was executed very well. We could see how the coffin was being lowered but only up to a certain point. After that the family was given a private moment at what for many might have been the most emotional moment of the service.

A different way to achieve the same as for example the Dutch royal family that will all go down in the crypt after which the curtains are closed so the family can say their goodbyes in private.

I must have missed that. Perhaps I was taken aback by the Royal Family leaving and that seemed to be that.

As for how it works in the Dutch royal family - that is indeed what I meant with what I'm used to. I keep going back to how it was done when Prince Claus was interred into the Royal Vault.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just saw photos of HM and Charles with tears rolling down their cheeks...that’s broken me.

As a horse lover, this is especially poignant

Quote:
The Duke’s cap, gloves, and red pot from which he fed his Fell ponies sugar lumps after carriage driving in the castle quadrangle. Picture by @ianvogler
https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...692577799?s=21