The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
The service was beautiful but I think my favorite images are those we just saw of the family walking together afterwards. The scenes of William, Kate, and Harry together along with Sophie, Kate, and Louise along with Charles and Camilla, Peter and David, etc. were beautiful and so needed both for them and for all of us. They were clearly still wiping their eyes and were quite understandably emotional but it was so nice to see them all together and less formal that they were before the service.
Were Charles and Harry together at any point?

Ultimately, I hope that people understand that the BRF is still just a family...they love like we do, fight like we do and feel loss like we do.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
No, Philip didn't want one. Homilies/addresses/eulogies are allowed.

I respect his wish, but I found it strange that there wasn't one. In my opinion, it helps the family to grieve when they hear a eulogy.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Is there now a reception planned? Or will everyone now go to the own home?
Probably a family lunch or dinner?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-17-2021, 11:10 AM
Serene Highness

It was a deeply moving service from the very first notes of the bands playing 'I vow to thee my country' to the last notes of the bagpipes fading away. Military precision, poignant choral pieces, softly spoken words and our grieving Queen bowed beneath her hat. RIP
Old 04-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Why was The Last Post (traditionally piped in the evening, if I understand correctly) played before and not after Reveille (traditionally piped in the morning)?
My interpretation -as it was played during the lowering of the coffin into the royal vault- is that it symbolizes him 'leaving earth' and his 'entrance into heaven'.

All in all, a very well-executed ceremonial royal funeral; not particularly personal - but it represented the Duke.
Nobility

What a moving tribute! The music was absolutely glorious, poignant, and perfectly selected by The Duke of Edinburgh. May he Rest In Peace, and I pray that The Queen and the Royal Family found comfort in the beautiful service.
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Minutes Silence at 3pm and Gun Salutes to mark the Funeral of the Duke.

The arrival of the late duke's Hearse And Carriage at Windsor.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Will be buried straight now? Where?
The coffin was lowered into the Royal Vault during the service.
However it's likely that this is just a temporary arrangement - it's believed that both he and The Queen will eventually be interred in the King George VI Memorial Chapel - with King George VI, his wife Queen Elizabeth, and the ashes of Princess Margaret.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Were Charles and Harry together at any point?

Ultimately, I hope that people understand that the BRF is still just a family...they love like we do, fight like we do and feel loss like we do.
I didnít see them walking together but maybe they were after cameras cut away. Charles and Camilla walked together, the Yorks all seemed to be grouping together. Peter and David were together. William, Harry, and Kate were together at one point but then at another William and Harry were together while Kate was with Sophie and Louise.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
No, Philip didn't want one. Homilies/addresses/eulogies are allowed.
I know I am probably in the minority, but I don't really like them...at least not the American style ones that sometimes border on inappropriate. I prefer to keep eulogies and homilies for the wake or the reception.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-17-2021, 11:14 AM
Majesty

So many moving moments before and during the service on this historic day. The ponies and Prince Philipís carriage standing in the quad, the Last Post and Reveille, the Queen making her entrance alone, with the Dean. All memorable.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes it sounds as if the coffin will rest in the Royal vault until after The Queen passes at which point it will join hers in the George VI Memorial Chapel. I guess that will be a lovely moment for the family seeing the Queen reunited with "her strength and stay".
Old 04-17-2021, 11:15 AM
Majesty

A lovely service. I was very happy choosing to watch the service on BBC, despite several Scandinavian channels also sending it. With the military participation, and music before the procession, it was very moving. Especially when the carriage came in.

I found it appropriate also, that despite the Viscount Severn being the youngest grandson and it would have been lovely to have all four grandsons in the procession, the royal family learned from Harry's trauma after walking after his mother's coffin, and he arrived with his mother and sister instead.

I appreciated the family walk and chat up to the castle afterwards, but it felt slightly odd as the cars passed by them.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I didnít see them walking together but maybe they were after cameras cut away. Charles and Camilla walked together, the Yorks all seemed to be grouping together. Peter and David were together. William, Harry, and Kate were together at one point but then at another William and Harry were together while Kate was with Sophie and Louise.
Thank you! My hope is that, on a day when Charles buried his dear papa, that he and his son have some moments together...
Old 04-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Majesty

When the Garter King of Arms proclaimed Prince Philip's titles and styles, I wonder why his Commonwealth orders (e.g. Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Order of Canada, etc.) were not mentioned.

I understand foreign orders are not listed, but I don't think national Commonwealth orders should count as "foreign" since the Queen is the Sovereign of those orders and they have been established by Letters Patent under the Royal Sign Manual and the Great Seal of the respective realm.

I didn't see it clearly, but, in addition to the insignia of the Orders of the Garter, Thistle and of the British Empire, the Order of Merit and the Royal Victorian Order, I believe the Duke's Commonwealth orders were also laid on the altar.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What a BEAUTIFUL moving service...worthy of a prince. If the late DoE chose those those hymns i commend him.

And I could not possibly admire Elizabeth II more than I do.

I saw Beatrice's husband Edoardo gently put his right arm around her, caress her back and embrace her as they were exiting with the family. He always appears so loving and solicitous of Beatrice.

Unfortunately, I overslept and missed some of the service. I pray there will be a recast of it later.
I think it will also be available on The Royal Family channel on YouTube, so if you've missed a part, you'll still be able to watch it there.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
A lovely service. I was very happy choosing to watch the service on BBC, despite several Scandinavian channels also sending it. With the military participation, and music before the procession, it was very moving. Especially when the carriage came in.
One point I enjoyed very much is the BBC commentators being able to remain silent when it was needed. Had I watched the service on my national channels, there would have been many comments even when silence would have been the most appropriate attitude. It was a very dignified broadcast.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

The flags in the chapel?

What do they all stand for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_164903.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	302527  
Old 04-17-2021, 11:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I know I am probably in the minority, but I don't really like them...at least not the American style ones that sometimes border on inappropriate. I prefer to keep eulogies and homilies for the wake or the reception.
I agree with you - I donít like them either. Sometimes they strike the right note, sometimes they really donít. I donít know about in the CofE but in the American Episcopal Church (we are part of the worldwide Anglican Communion of which the Archbishop of Canterbury is head), we rarely have them. The clergy always do them and depending on if/how well the clergy knew the person who died... it makes a huge difference obviously.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Huw Edwards recalled once how during the funeral of Pope John Paul II one of his guests, a priest, told him to be quiet and just listen. Clearly he does the same still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanDi View Post
What do they all stand for?
I believe they are the banners of the members of the Order of the Garter.