The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank, you I did not realize, suddenly something was different.
I'm not used to this ceremonial, on Greece it goes to the earth ground in the cemetery.

In most funerals in the UK that would be the same, however, he is not buried in the ground on a graveyard but is interred in a royal crypt. That only happens to very few people/members of the royal family.

It's a lovely afternoon so they can gather in groups of 6 in the garden, swapping around between groups as they wish.

Has a woman ever been in a choir that sang at a royal ceremonial funeral before? Presumably a first? If anyone knows.

Last edited:
Is it normal for the coffin to be brought to the Vault off-camera? I'm used to that being shown as well but here the cameras cut away.

Actually i found this a good solution especially as the Family sat close by. At the Funeral of the Queen Mother it was different as the Funeral Service ws at Westminster Abbey and the actual Interment took place later in the day in private.

Is it normal for the coffin to be brought to the Vault off-camera? I'm used to that being shown as well but here the cameras cut away.

I was concerned about the family not having a private moment at the lowering of the coffin. So, I thought it was executed very well. We could see how the coffin was being lowered but only up to a certain point. After that the family was given a private moment at what for many might have been the most emotional moment of the service.

A different way to achieve the same as for example the Dutch royal family that will all go down in the crypt after which the curtains are closed so the family can say their goodbyes in private.

The coffin was lowered into the Royal Vault during the service.
However it's likely that this is just a temporary arrangement - it's believed that both he and The Queen will eventually be interred in the King George VI Memorial Chapel - with King George VI, his wife Queen Elizabeth, and the ashes of Princess Margaret.

If the Plan is for both Philip and HM to be buried into the George VI. Memorial Chapel i wonder why he was not straight interred there

That was very moving and very much personal as i always imagined P.Philip to be..

The bagpipe player especially made me tear up..

And the way the family after the service ditched the cars and decided to walk home, like so many families do after a funeralservice..❤️

I was concerned about the family not having a private moment at the lowering of the coffin. So, I thought it was executed very well. We could see how the coffin was being lowered but only up to a certain point. After that the family was given a private moment at what for many might have been the most emotional moment of the service.

A different way to achieve the same as for example the Dutch royal family that will all go down in the crypt after which the curtains are closed so the family can say their goodbyes in private.

I must have missed that. Perhaps I was taken aback by the Royal Family leaving and that seemed to be that.

As for how it works in the Dutch royal family - that is indeed what I meant with what I'm used to. I keep going back to how it was done when Prince Claus was interred into the Royal Vault.

I just saw photos of HM and Charles with tears rolling down their cheeks...that’s broken me.

As a horse lover, this is especially poignant

The Duke’s cap, gloves, and red pot from which he fed his Fell ponies sugar lumps after carriage driving in the castle quadrangle. Picture by @ianvogler

Last edited:
If the Plan is for both Philip and HM to be buried into the George VI. Memorial Chapel i wonder why he was not straight interred there

Do we know for sure that he won't be moved there? I assume the most practical thing was to have him be lowered into whatever happened to be below the quire. I guess the 'rooms' below St George's Chapel are connected, so the coffin could be moved. There will be some more that needs to be done than just lower the coffin (such as removing his standard, his hat and sword); he will be put into a specific spot - whether that will be a temporary or final one is anybody's guess (or has this been confirmed by the Palace?).

There really haven't been very many televised British royal funerals. The Queen Mother, Diana...Lord Mountbatten if you want to include him in that category, I think that might be it. And none of them were interred as part of the funeral service.

I think the plan is he will be moved there when the Queen dies. I guess they are looking at it practically and why mess the chapel up twice and then have to re-do the memorial stone.

This is the first time the internment has been done on camera as such, usually there is a larger service at Westminster abbey then a more intimate family only internment service or the whole funeral it at Windsor in private.

Beautiful service, wonderful singers A fine tribute.

There really haven't been very many televised British royal funerals. The Queen Mother, Diana...Lord Mountbatten if you want to include him in that category, I think that might be it. And none of them were interred as part of the funeral service.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That is a difference from how it's being done here. That makes sense.

Has a woman ever been in a choir that sang at a royal ceremonial funeral before? Presumably a first? If anyone knows.

I think so. St. George's doesn't have a girls choir and neither does WA. But I couldn't say for sure if they had any female lay clerks (adult choir members) I don't think so, although St Paul's does.

This is the most encouraging thing to me, the family truly coming together as a family, not wanting to be separated ... This was Charles’ idea. and I can’t help thinking of his last conversation with his father, about how he’s to lead the family going forward. This was, to me, significant, that he’s emphasizing family

There were cars waiting to transport the royals back to the castle but they chose to walk as a family. Having been separated in the Chapel they’re now able to come together which will be a comfort to the Queen.

Just out of interest - was Princess Alexandra there? I didn't see her in any of the coverage.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ng-lady-susan-hussey-queen-loneliest-journey/

It was her loneliest journey, but she was not alone, writes Hannah Furness. In her darkest day on public duty, the Queen had her loyal lady-in-waiting by her side, Lady Susan Hussey.

Carried in the State Bentley for the short journey from the Sovereign’s Entrance of Windsor Castle to the Galilee Porch of St George’s Chapel, the Queen and Lady Susan travelled in companionable silence.

In quiet contemplation, with rugs over their knees, the two women faced the cameras and the watching world with dignified calm.

The Queen had personally asked Lady Susan to join her for the journey, as she prepared to say farewell to her husband of 73 years.

One of a close inner circle of ladies-in-waiting, Lady Susan has been by the Queen’s side since the birth of Prince Andrew, when she joined the royal household to help answer a flood of letters.

30 people are allowed for a funeral, but only 15 for a reception afterwards. Rather awkward having to tell 15 people that they didn't make the cut so they can't even come in for a cup of tea, but those are the rules ... although I suppose you can get away with the other 15 standing somewhere in the grounds.

The music was lovely, but it was very sad to see the Queen on her own. She seemed to hesitate for a few moments before she went into the chapel ... it was probably just according to plan, but it was as if she was waiting for Camilla and Kate to come through the doors behind her.

If we’re thinking about the same moment, I thought she seemed to be turning and looking at something related to the procession. But maybe she was waiting for Camilla and Catherine.

It was sad to see her on her own. Mostly she was looking down, but there was one photo I saw of her looking up, and her eyes were heartbreakingly sad. Eyes are truly windows to the soul. That was apparent with everyone today.

Last edited:
I think so. St. George's doesn't have a girls choir and neither does WA. But I couldn't say for sure if they had any female lay clerks (adult choir members) I don't think so, although St Paul's does.

Looks like it was a first then. A small bit of royal history made today.?

I didn't see the three German relatives in the chapel. Did anyone else?

She looks so fragile. It breaks my heart too. Charles is broken. He has taken this very hard.

I can't help but think the Queen looks like she's aged a decade in the last week. And both Charles and William look heartbroken. Philip clearly meant so much to that entire family. The loss of him has obviously been devastating.

Flags at half mast at the Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen today.

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?start=0&zoektype=2&search=17-04-2021 Denmark

Members of the RF leaving after the funeral service

And in Dublin too ,The residence of the President of Ireland

I love that they chose to walk back to the castle. I imagine that was due to the weather being so nice.

I also noticed Sophie link arms with Edward on the walk back. Nice little touch. Nice to see the family chatting and being a normal family. It's a shame they couldn't have a proper family gathering for this due to the current pandemic but nice to see them all walking back.

Back
Top Bottom