The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The choir is beautiful, even it only has 4 people.

Anne looks so contemplative during this first lesson's reading.

Which are the standards in the coffin? The blue and white is looking like the Greek royal flag, but couldn't be

Royal standards of Greece and Denmark plus Mountbatten and Edinburgh standards, I suppose (Prince Philip's personal standard).

Last edited:
Eternal Father, strong to save, Whose arm doth bind the restless wave, Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep, Its own appointed limits keep; O hear us when we cry to thee, For those in peril on the sea.

O Saviour, whose almighty word, The winds and waves submissive heard, Who walkedst on the foaming deep, And calm amid its rage didst sleep: O hear us when we cry to thee, For those in peril on the sea.

O sacred Spirit, who didst brood Upon the chaos dark and rude, Who bad'st its angry tumult cease, And gavest light and life and peace: O hear us when we cry to thee, For those in peril on the sea.

O Trinity of love and power, Our brethren shield in danger's hour; From rock and tempest, fire and foe, Protect them whereso'er they go: And ever let there rise to thee, Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

It's noticeable that this hymn and the first reading both invoke the sea and sailing. HRH presumably chose them in remembrance of his Royal Navy days.

The vivid imagery and the bold descriptions of natural forces in the hymn and the reading are also quite fitting for the Prince, both in terms of personality and his environmental advocacy.

ETA: And the Psalm 104 set to music also uses imagery of the sea and nature.

Last edited:
There are no crowds due to the Covid19 restrictions and thats why there's only 30 at the Service.

I am watching BBC television live. There are indeed crowds in the streets of the area surrounding the Castle substantial ones...along with foreign press and security agents.

No power on this planet could compel me to watch American news coverage of another Royal event...with the possible exception of PBS.

I am watching BBC television live. There are indeed crowds in the streets of the area surrounding the Castle substantial ones...along with foreign press and security agents.

No power on this planet could compel me to watch American news coverage of another Royal event...with the possible exception of PBS.
None inside the castle I meant.

Yes despite the Government advice for crowds not to gather there are crowds in Windsor and outside Buckingham Palace.

It is sad that the full choir is not present but this quartet is really wonderful.

In the best tradition of Anglican choral music. Bravo!

The balance of soprano & tenor/bass is a marvellous substitute.

It is so terribly sad to see the Queen sitting alone. She looks so vulnerable somehow.

Oh, that shot of HM during the Litany, with her head bowed - breaks my heart for her. And Charles reaching out to hold Camilla's hand.

Enter not into judgement with thy servant, O Lord.
For in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
Grant unto him eternal rest.

And let light perpetual shine upon him.
We believe verily to see the goodness of the Lord.
In the land of the living.

O Lord, hear our prayer.
And let our cry come unto thee.

William Smith 1603-1645

It is the same as his coat of arms. The arms/flag of Greece are in the second quarter.

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news-grants/news/item/187-hrh-the-duke-of-edinburgh

Royal standards of Greece and Denmark plus Mountbatten and Edinburgh standards, I suppose (Prince Philip's personal standard).

Which are the standards in the coffin? The blue and white is looking like the Greek royal flag, but couldn't be

For those asking it is Prince Phillips personal standard, here is a picture of it flying.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ey7ViFeWEAAZFz8?format=jpg&name=360x360

The three blue lions of Denmark, the cross of Greece, the B&W colours of Battenberg/Mountbatten and the arms of Edinburgh.

Oh, that shot of HM during the Litany, with her head bowed - breaks my heart for her. And Charles reaching out to hold Camilla's hand.

She looks so fragile. It breaks my heart too. Charles is broken. He has taken this very hard.

I felt the sadness. Alone and with the head down. It is maybe the first time we see her so fragile.
It is so terribly sad to see the Queen sitting alone. She looks so vulnerable somehow.

Give rest, O Christ, to thy servant with thy Saints:
where sorrow and pain are no more; neither sighing, but life everlasting.
Thou only art immortal, the Creator and Maker of man:
And we are mortal, formed of the earth, and unto earth shall we return.
For so thou didst ordain, when thou createdest me, saying, Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
All we go down to the dust;
and, weeping, o'er the grave, we make our song:
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.

Russian Kontakion of the Departed

Translated William John Birkbeck (1859-1916)

Kiev Melody, arranged by Sir Walter Parratt, KCVO (1841-1924)

From the Order of Service

A nod to the duke's Orthadox heritage. Beautiful.

Last edited:
And another naval touch with the prayer for those who go down to the asea.

For those asking it is Prince Phillips personal standard, here is a picture of it flying.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ey7ViFeWEAAZFz8?format=jpg&name=360x360

The three blue lions of Denmark, the cross of Greece, the B&W colours of Battenberg/Mountbatten and the arms of Edinburgh.

Thanks. Then his personal standard is indeed the same as his coat of arms. I think that is typical in the British royal family.

I love the Kontakion. We always sing it on Remembrance Sunday. It's very cathartic and atmospheric.

The arrival of Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Beatrice and Zara Tindall at St George's Chapel ahead of the Funeral .

The Procession and arrival of H.M. The Queen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom