The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2021, 07:56 PM
Majesty

A black pennant was added to the flag at both Huis ten Bosch and Paleis Noordeinde last Saturday in remembrance of the duke of Edinburgh (and acknowledgement of his funeral).

Old 04-19-2021, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Just read that the signal 'Action Stations' means that everyone on the ship needs to take his position. So, we had:
1. Last Post: Final Farewell for a soldier laid to rest
2. Reveille: Symbolizing Philip's welcome into/waking up in heaven I assume (or something along those lines)
3. Action Stations: Call for everyone (left behind) to take in their position

Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Just read that the signal 'Action Stations' means that everyone on the ship needs to take his position. So, we had:
2. Reveille: Symbolizing Philip's welcome into/waking up in heaven I assume (or something along those lines)

That so sounds like Philip.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
When I read that - on Saturday - I got so emotional. There’s something wonderful and moving about military tributes.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Court Circular entry for the Funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh:

17 April 2021
Windsor Castle
The Funeral of The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh took place in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, this afternoon.

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke of Sussex, The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank and Mr. Jack Brooksbank, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, accompanied by the Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and Viscount Severn, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Mr. Peter Phillips, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Tindall, the Earl of Snowdon, Mr. Daniel and the Lady Sarah Chatto, The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy were present.

The Hereditary Prince of Baden, The Landgrave of Hesse, The Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and the Countess Mountbatten of Burma attended.

The Dean of Windsor conducted the Service and offered the Commendatory Prayer.

The Archbishop of Canterbury pronounced the Blessing.

Garter Principal King of Arms proclaimed The Duke of Edinburgh's Styles and Titles.

Detachments of Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard, the Military Knights of Windsor, a Dismounted Detachment of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, the Royal Navy Piping Party, a Guard of Honour, found by The Rifles, and Defence Advisers from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Trinidad and Tobago were on duty outside the Chapel.

Representatives from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Army and Royal Air Force lined the processional route.

Minute Guns were fired for the duration of the Procession from the East Lawn of the Castle by The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, under the command of Major Victoria Flood.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 AM
Serene Highness

Mike Tindall has spoken about Prince Philip's funeral on The Good, The Bad & The Rugby podcast with Alex Payne and James Haskell. He stated that the funeral is exactly what Philip wanted: No fuss and get on with it. He used the word "eerie" twice, especially with Philip's cap on the carriage and naval hat on the coffin. He also stated his love for The Queen, who sat alone and led by example in aligning with COVID-19 restriction.

The relevant part started at 1:40 with Alex Payne first contributing and asking Mike Tindall on the funeral and ends at 3:47.

https://youtu.be/8xbCSwXPPrY?t=100
Old 04-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Serene Highness

For those who are interested in the music performed/played during Prince Philip's funeral, I found an Youtube video with time stamps capturing every live footages of each piece. The channel CHOR GESANG - Das Musikmagazin has also listed the time stamp and name of each piece in both the description box and pinned comment.
Quote:
00:00​ | "I Vow to Thee My Country"
02:39​ | "Supreme Sacrifice"
05:14​ | "Jerusalem" Hubert Parry
07:14​ | "Nimrod the Hunter" Edward Elgar
11:08​ | "God Save the Queen"
11:53​ | "Funeral March" Johann Walch
18:54​ | "I am the Resurrection" William Croft
22:10​ | "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" William Witting
25:26​ | "Jubilate Deo" Benjamin Britten
28:12​ | "Psalm 104" William Lovelady
33:32​ | The Lord's Prayer "Our Father"
36:25​ | "Russian Kontakion of the Departed" Sir Walter Parratt
40:39​ | "Flowers of the Forest" by Pipe Major of The Royal Regiment of Scotland
42:44​ | "A Lament and The Last Post" played by the Royal Marines
44:26​ | "Reveille" played by the State Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry
45:32​ | "God Save the Queen"

Some users in the comment section have noted that "Isle of Beauty" between "Jerusalem" and "Nimrod the Hunter" was left out.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I thought so too. I know she is an elderly lady but IMO she has always given the impression (in public at least) of being an energetic person despite her years. But yesterday...it was just so sad to see her as you say looking so small, fragile & vulnerable.

I'm sure the weeks of his final illness were a great trial for her. I don't care what anyone says, no matter how long you may know in your mind that a loved one is dying, in your heart you are never prepared for it.

May God grant her peace, strength and courage to go on without her "strength and stay".
Beautifully stated.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Mike Tindall confirmed that after the funeral (and the walk up to the Castle) the family members went to their cars and left.

Quote:
"Then the funeral finished and it was 'get in your cars and go home', but that is what was allowed, that is what the rules state, so that is what happened."
Old 04-30-2021, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Y'know, I'm glad Mike Tindall came out and went public with this statement. It shows that even how big and important and well known the Duke of Edinburgh was and the fact that it was a royal family funeral, they still strictly adhered to the guidelines in place and followed them to the letter. To me, this is a prime example of being of service to the people. There's no "do as I say and not as I do" with this family. Setting an example. They could have very easily found loopholes around things for themselves on this occasion but they didn't.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Y'know, I'm glad Mike Tindall came out and went public with this statement. It shows that even how big and important and well known the Duke of Edinburgh was and the fact that it was a royal family funeral, they still strictly adhered to the guidelines in place and followed them to the letter. To me, this is a prime example of being of service to the people. There's no "do as I say and not as I do" with this family. Setting an example. They could have very easily found loopholes around things for themselves on this occasion but they didn't.
Yes, very true.......... For all the privileges afforded the BRF, it doesn't shield them from loss such as everyone else suffers. In the way that the Queen was so alone, that her family couldn't comfort her and each other........just like so many of us.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
For those who are interested in the music performed/played during Prince Philip's funeral, I found an Youtube video with time stamps capturing every live footages of each piece. The channel CHOR GESANG - Das Musikmagazin has also listed the time stamp and name of each piece in both the description box and pinned comment.

Some users in the comment section have noted that "Isle of Beauty" between "Jerusalem" and "Nimrod the Hunter" was left out.
Elegant...somber...a flawless service from start to finish.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but this thread seems appropriate.

How beautiful, and that photo of father and son...������..in a boat, which is so appropriate ������

Quote:
This is the card - with black borders - you will receive if you wrote to the Prince Charles a condolence letter or card on the occasion of Prince Philip’s death.

Credits: lise_m_d on IG.

https://twitter.com/the_qvds/status/...025344003?s=21

For the Queen:

So poignant...what a gorgeous photo of Philip ������

Quote:
This the card you will receive if you wrote to the Queen a condolence letter or card on the occasion of Prince Philip’s death.

Credits to sunshine_and_santa_claus on IG.
https://twitter.com/the_qvds/status/...879731207?s=21
Old 05-02-2021, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love that photo of Charles and Philip. It seems fitting that he chose a photo of them on the water.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I love that photo of Charles and Philip. It seems fitting that he chose a photo of them on the water.
I said the same thing - and my tweet was included in the Daily Mail article ! It's right under the photo of Charles from the funeral........the middle one. I guess I'm infamous, lol.

I love the fact it's a photo of them in a boat.....Charles is looking at his papa like he's the sun and moon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...er_dailymailUK
Old 05-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I said the same thing - and my tweet was included in the Daily Mail article ! It's right under the photo of Charles from the funeral........the middle one. I guess I'm infamous, lol.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...er_dailymailUK
Famous, infamous ~ you’re very quotable!
Old 05-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye1850 View Post
Famous, infamous ~ you’re very quotable!
I am ! Now that I think about it, I’m surprised that they didn’t ask, but I’m ok with that....I guess I’ve had my second 15 minutes of fame, lol