The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Lady Pamela Hicks was not attending the funeral. I assumed it was Countess Mountbatten of Burma (her niece-in-law) who did attend whom valeas was asking for.
Yes, thank you very much.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

What a lovely gesture.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
King Konstantinos and Queen Anna-Maria wished to convey their personal wreath to the religious service in memory of Prince Philip,at the Saint Spyridon Church in his birthplace Corfu Island, Greece.

https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn.n...e9&oe=60A16FBF
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...52&oe=60A361C4
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...a8&oe=60A38DEB
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn.n...ec&oe=60A2DA69

The wreath is lovely. Are those laurel leaves?
Old 04-19-2021, 02:12 PM
Gentry

I bet it was already discussed and I'm already sorry, but where was Prince Michael?
Old 04-19-2021, 02:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatten View Post
I bet it was already discussed and I'm already sorry, but where was Prince Michael?
He could not be accommodated among the 30 mourners that were allowed. This also applied to for example The Duchess of Gloucester who also couldn't come due to the limited number of spots available. And I am sure there were many others whom they truly had hoped to include but unfortunately couldn't.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Gentry

Quote:
He could not be accommodated among the 30 mourners that were allowed. This also applied to for example The Duchess of Gloucester who also couldn't come due to the limited number of spots available. And I am sure there were many others whom they truly had hoped to include but unfortunately couldn't.
The Countess Mountbatten of Burma before a cousin? I mean Princess Alexandra was there too.

By the way, it's a shame that you can't see her completely, I mean Princess Alexandra.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Iíve no idea if this is true or not but I hope that it is. I think heíd want her to have them and it seems absolutely fitting and appropriate. She seems to be the only one who has picked up this sport that was so important to the late Duke so I canít imagine anyone objecting.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ge-ponies.html
I was really hoping Louise would inherit the ponies and carriage.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The Family and guests at the funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56765468
Old 04-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles has gone to Wales to privately grieve... This sounds very much like how HM mourns her father every February 6, privately with her thoughts. Wales seems to be gloriously beautiful - it seems the perfect place for Charles to mourn and ponder what lies ahead. Iím glad for the baby steps he and his sons took.

Quote:
'There was no official wake after the funeral, but Charles, William and Harry took the opportunity to speak and catch-up face to face after many months apart.

'They were only able to spend a short time together outdoors given Covid restrictions and also without staff, including senior courtiers, overhearing what was being said.

'It was important to Charles and William that they were both there together. It means nothing spoken about can be misconstrued in the future.'

Given the tensions, sparked by claims of racism and uncaring behaviour by the Royal Family when Meghan says she was suffering from mental health issues, a full rapprochement did not occur.

Another senior royal insider said: 'There is much pain and hurt on both sides, so this reconciliation will take place in baby steps.

'First, they need to decide on some ground rules as to how they conduct business going forward in a way that makes all parties feel safe and protected.'

Crucially, Charles and William have the Queen's support to deal with the situation.

The source explained: 'The Queen has made it clear to senior advisers that she is united with Charles and William, and was disappointed with aspects of Harry and Meghan's interview.'

But Charles decided he needed to contemplate on a solitary basis in peace at his Welsh hideaway, a £1.2million converted farmhouse in the Brecon Beacons.

It is believed his wife Camilla has remained in London, where she is continuing with private commitments.

My source added: 'Charles felt he wanted to reflect alone.

'He also wants to attend to the thousands of letters sent to him in condolence of his father's death.

'He is acutely aware that this is a hugely significant moment in his life and he feels like he has the weight of the world of his shoulders.

'All his life he has been heir to throne, but Prince Philip was the patriarch of the family.

'Overnight that's changed, and it's impacted him both professionally and personally.

'He needs time to think and contemplate the future of the Royal Family after what was a very difficult week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ve-father.html
Old 04-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Charles has gone to Wales to privately grieve... This sounds very much like how HM mourns her father every February 6, privately with her thoughts. Wales seems to be gloriously beautiful - it seems the perfect place for Charles to mourn and ponder what lies ahead. Iím glad for the baby steps he and his sons took.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ve-father.html
I'm not surprised Charles needs to be alone. He looked absolutely gutted on Saturday. No matter how much you think you're prepared, you're never really ready for someone you love to die.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The Countess Mountbatten of Burma before a cousin? I mean Princess Alexandra was there too.

By the way, it's a shame that you can't see her completely, I mean Princess Alexandra.
Yes, given that the Countess Mountbatten of Burma was not only a family member but also a close friend of the duke of Edinburgh who shared his passion for buggy riding. So, it makes sense to include someone from his own Mountbatten-family (although by marriage) whom he was extremely close to over a cousin that he never was truly close to (as far as we know0.

I am sure prince Michael would have been included if they had 40 spots available but they had to make choices (just like the Duchess of Gloucester; and princess Michael of Kent were unfortunately left off the list). The Countess Mountbatten of Burma was probably first on the list after the children and grandchildren. Next, Philip's German cousins/great-nephews, his nephew and niece (by marriage) and only then came the queen's cousins; and they picked the working senior royals (by birth) over the non-working royal.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Aside from being a close friend of Philip, Penny was also there as a representative for Louis Mountbatten's side of the family and as such a representative for Philip's extended family.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Family and guests at the funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56765468
Always helpful to have a visual representation - although it would have been even nicer if they were consistent in their use of titles instead of some kind of weird mixture. Happy to see that it completely matches the overview I created on Saturday.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I'm not surprised Charles needs to be alone. He looked absolutely gutted on Saturday. No matter how much you think you're prepared, you're never really ready for someone you love to die.
Truth. I think itís been underreported now close he and his father had become over the last decade or two; people prefer/preferred to rehash old stuff (same with Charlesí relationship with his mother). From what Iíve read, Charles idolized his dad, sought his approval - ultimately he got it. I canít comprehend how heís feeling now, and I think being out in gorgeous Wales, in nature, is just the thing for him.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

So true. Youíre never ready for it. He did look gutted. So did Anne.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
It's also possible that they were invited and decline for some reason. We can't assume they were omitted from the original guest list.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It's also possible that they were invited and decline for some reason. We can't assume they were omitted from the original guest list.
True but it seems rather unlikely (unless the Duchess of Gloucester was ill) that she was invited but declined. There isn't anybody that I would expect to have been lower on the list than prince Michael of Kent - and promoted because he chose not to attend. He probably would have been number 31...

The only one that someone might mention is Daniel Chatto but it seems David & Sarah are considered part of the 'inner' family and so, Daniel was treated the same way the spouses of the grandchildren were treated.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meee View Post
Iíve just seen Katie Nicholís error now going back to the part I missed yesterday. Shocked to see her making such an error after seeing her on so many Royal documentaries during lockdown.

That must have been Reeta, I was sure that was what she said but havenít needed to go back to my recording as itís all on YouTube to watch back. The BBC coverage on YouTube cuts off just before Reetaís error as it was when the news started.

Edward being both the youngest child and the oldest when he became a parent himself (39; Charles was 33, Anne 27 and Andrew 28) does put Louise and James closer in age to their cousins once removed rather than their cousins, but in COVID times it was a surprising error. That they were seated with Edward and Sophie during the service should have made it obvious who they were.
Yes, it was as the news began.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I was really hoping Louise would inherit the ponies and carriage.
Me too. Especially seeing Louise out exercising the ponies in the carriage the morning her grandfather died. It was her own personal way, I think, of grieving and "doing" for Grandpa.

With Louise over to the stables a lot with the ponies and the carriage and the Queen being based at Windsor more, I bet it'll draw those two women even closer together now. They have something very special to bond them together.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Yes, it was as the news began.
What did she say?