The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I also thought that more people than 13 million would turn in to Watch the Duke's funeral, for the same reasons you stated.
WOW 31 million for Diana's funeral, I didn't know that. That's a record that I wonder if anyone can replicate!!
We have more options now, you tube, catch up tv etc etc

Old 04-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

I must say that I was VERY disappointed with CBC coverage of the funeral rites. I started off watching Canadian TV( as I previously posted there was no way in the world I will ever again watch American coverage of a Royal event)

But the chattering by commentators on the CBC was just as bad or even worse than anything that I have seen on CBS or ABC.

During the recitation of the beautiful Sentences as the DoE's body was being carried into St.George's, a female commentator actually turned to someone and said "Let's discuss what his loss will mean" or some other inane statement....and they actually TALKED OVER the Sentences! I couldn't believe it.

I finally switched to the BBC..which was absolutely perfect all the way to the end.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-18-2021, 02:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
We have more options now, you tube, catch up tv etc etc
True but Diana was a world icon, and she had died tragically young.. Philip's death is sad but at 99.. people are not shocked and grieved in teh same way....
Old 04-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

TV programmes in general get much lower audiences than they used to. In 1997, not everyone had Sky - a lot of people got Sky in 1992, when they took over coverage of the Premier League, but many people who weren't into sport only had the 5 basic channels - and there was no Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. It's very rare for audiences now to reach the levels they did in the '80s and '90s.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

There’s an arrival in the Guardian saying that BP should be worried about the hundred thousand complaints to BBC about their coverage of Philip’s passing...but of course, it’s the Guardian, so...They also ripped Charles and pretty much everyone except Anne and Edward...really unseemly. I couldn’t believe Victoria Murphy called it a “very good” article
Old 04-18-2021, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
TV programmes in general get much lower audiences than they used to. In 1997, not everyone had Sky - a lot of people got Sky in 1992, when they took over coverage of the Premier League, but many people who weren't into sport only had the 5 basic channels - and there was no Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. It's very rare for audiences now to reach the levels they did in the '80s and '90s.
Amazing how much things have changed in Philip's lifetime. In 1934, 60% of homes had radios. Philip would have been 13 at that time. At 6 years old, the first "talking picture" was released. He's seen the advent of movies and newsreels. He's seen the advent of television and the metamorphosis over the years into cable TV, the internet and cell phones and video conferencing. So many changes in those 99 years on this earth.

I still get a chuckle thinking of how Philip would hang up on a zoom call. Just close the laptop. I have to say though he was more knowledgeable of things than my hubby is. Hubby just recently joined the 21st century with a smart phone is is going bonkers with Snoopy emojis.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Thank you, Betsypaige and Tatiana Maria.

I'm making a progress with the videos. So many of the family look devastated.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I must say that I was VERY disappointed with CBC coverage of the funeral rites. I started off watching Canadian TV( as I previously posted there was no way in the world I will ever again watch American coverage of a Royal event)

But the chattering by commentators on the CBC was just as bad or even worse than anything that I have seen on CBS or ABC.

During the recitation of the beautiful Sentences as the DoE's body was being carried into St.George's, a female commentator actually turned to someone and said "Let's discuss what his loss will mean" or some other inane statement....and they actually TALKED OVER the Sentences! I couldn't believe it.

I finally switched to the BBC..which was absolutely perfect all the way to the end.

That's the BBC for ya - deliverer to your television doorstep
Old 04-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
There’s an arrival in the Guardian saying that BP should be worried about the hundred thousand complaints to BBC about their coverage of Philip’s passing...but of course, it’s the Guardian, so...They also ripped Charles and pretty much everyone except Anne and Edward...really unseemly. I couldn’t believe Victoria Murphy called it a “very good” article
In addition to claiming that right wing forces are trying to exploit Prince Philip's death to wage culture wars, which is utter nonsense. I find it best to ignore 99% of what the Guardian says: this is the newspaper which claimed that wealthy people don't get upset if their children die, because they only feel "privileged pain".

I don't think people moaning about the TV coverage has anything to do with lack of support for the monarchy. Some people were just narked because popular programmes like the Masterchef final were postponed. On the day he died, the BBC and ITV both pulled every programme on every channel and replaced them with tribute programmes, and I can see why people felt that that might have been a bit much, especially as the programmes were all repeated. Showing them on BBC1 and the main ITV channel might have sufficed. But the Guardian is making a big deal out of nothing - people have also moaned about the amount of pandemic coverage, and there are frequent complaints when soap operas are moved from their usual spots because of sports events. Some people just love to moan!
Old 04-18-2021, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Thank you, Betsypaige and Tatiana Maria.

I'm making a progress with the videos. So many of the family look devastated.
You’re welcome ! They are, and it’s profoundly moving to see.

Interesting article in the Telegraph ...I suppose it was to be expected, but there will be a summit - led by Charles and William - to determine the future of the Monarchy.

Quote:
Royal insiders say that the two matters cannot be decided in isolation, as the issues of patronage and personnel are inextricably linked.

Because any decisions made now will have repercussions for decades to come, the Prince of Wales will take a leading role in the talks. He has made it clear that the Duke of Cambridge, his own heir, should be involved at every stage because any major decisions taken by 72-year-old Prince Charles will last into Prince William’s reign.

Royal sources explained that the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge, with the help of the Queen, would now have to decide whether the monarchy should continue with its traditional model of thousands of engagements each year, spread out between a broad base of full-time and part-time working royals, or cut down the number of engagements and patronages and use fewer members of the family to fulfil them.

One source said: “The question is whether you start off by deciding how many patronages and engagements there should be, and then work out how many people are needed to achieve them, or whether you decide how many people there should be, which will dictate how many engagements and patronages they can take on.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...harles-prince/
Old 04-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
That's the BBC for ya -default deliverer.
Insert obligatory comment about Diamond Jubilee River Pageant coverage here. And I'm not talking about the rain. Commentator barely knew what a boat was.

My Mum the huge monarchist moaned a bit about the coverage on every single channel of the Beeb and the fact that it seemed to be just the same 15 minute report with guests swapped in and out, I don't think it means anything in terms of the popularity of the monarchy.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
In addition to claiming that right wing forces are trying to exploit Prince Philip's death to wage culture wars, which is utter nonsense. I find it best to ignore 99% of what the Guardian says: this is the newspaper which claimed that wealthy people don't get upset if their children die, because they only feel "privileged pain".

I don't think people moaning about the TV coverage has anything to do with lack of support for the monarchy. Some people were just narked because popular programmes like the Masterchef final were postponed. On the day he died, the BBC and ITV both pulled every programme on every channel and replaced them with tribute programmes, and I can see why people felt that that might have been a bit much, especially as the programmes were all repeated. Showing them on BBC1 and the main ITV channel might have sufficed. But the Guardian is making a big deal out of nothing - people have also moaned about the amount of pandemic coverage, and there are frequent complaints when soap operas are moved from their usual spots because of sports events. Some people just love to moan!
The Guardian said that? No wonder they had no shame in saying today that Charles “appeared” to be broken-up...

Good points ! Plus, it means millions did NOT complain !
Old 04-18-2021, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Insert obligatory comment about Diamond Jubilee River Pageant coverage here. And I'm not talking about the rain. Commentator barely knew what a boat was.

My Mum the huge monarchist moaned a bit about the coverage on every single channel of the Beeb and the fact that it seemed to be just the same 15 minute report with guests swapped in and out, I don't think it means anything in terms of the popularity of the monarchy.

Perhaps I don't watch the BBC often enough and it probably also depends on who the commentator is/guests are. But I found this coverage excellent and that was actually the point that I was trying to make

On a lighter note, that one bagpiper they spoke to before the funeral itself started had his looks going for him
Old 04-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

May I respectfully request that, when press reports or opinion columns appearing in the press are discussed on this forum, the links to the articles be posted so that those of us who have not read the articles yet will be able to understand what the content is that is being discussed?

While I am posting it here, my request is a general one and not particular to this discussion or this thread.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
no, there were no images of hte RF during the service.. mainly I think to protect the boys, who were probalby in tears by then....
there were fictional "reaction shots" to Spencer's eulogy in the film The Queen. Not in real life as I recall.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness

I thought the funeral was perfect. The BRF does large scale, impressive pomp and pageantry very well but this smaller, more intimate gathering was immensely moving. The bands playing beforehand, the beautiful setting, the quiet and stillness during the service broken up by the music, which was sublime. I thought this was one of the most truly regal royal events I’ve seen, and also one that allowed for contemplation and reflection, which I think the Queen would have appreciated.

I imagine that this quietly dignified and relatively simple ceremony was much closer to what Philip would have chosen for himself than the very large and grand event originally planned. Royal life demanded that the Duke of Edinburgh make sacrifices, which he did without fail, (although not always without complaint), for over 70 years, so I’m glad he unexpectedly got to do things his way at the very end.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
there were fictional "reaction shots" to Spencer's eulogy in the film The Queen. Not in real life as I recall.
Yes, what has the QUeen film got to do with it?
Old 04-18-2021, 05:20 PM
Commoner

On the complaints, it’s not surprising. The internet makes it much easier to complain about things when we can submit an online form or send an email, rather than having to send a letter and go as far as to pay for a stamp (I presume this would be the way of complaining in the 80’s and 90’s.) Perhaps people didn’t know how to go about complaining 20 or so years ago, now they can just pull out their phone or tablet and Google it.

The BBC gets a lot of criticism anyway for forcing people who don’t like their output to still pay the licence fee. You can avoid it if you Netflix or use ITV et al on catch up, but that means sports events for example are off as there isn’t a Sky Sports catch up player.

It’s possible some of the complaints were people who didn’t like Philip because of his gaffes, while others might have liked him and thought he didn’t want fuss so why was every BBC station showing the same thing? Main programming could have been moved to BBC2 with coverage on BBC1 and the News Channel, as you would expect. I heard that even the BBC Local Radio Stations had it on and BBC4 was taken off air.

Also, as he was never to overshadow HM, it’ll have had people wondering what it’ll look like when that very sad day comes.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Yes she was and wearing a 50s style hat.
Lady Sarah Chatto departs after attending
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/1313010101
Old 04-18-2021, 06:17 PM
Courtier

I thought the funeral was very well done, in spite of covid. Amazing that four singers could sound like a whole choir. I watched it on BBC here in NZ; we didn't have ITV here so i have no idea what that was like. I did notice the woman who said there were great-grandchildren there (Louise and James); I would have thought she could have got such a basic thing as that right. I loved how Sophie had her arm around James. Everyone looked so sad.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me why the pallbearers had no gloves when they first put Prince Philip's coffin on the landrover, but had switched to gloves when they took him inside St George's?