The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Countess Mountbatten of Burma before a cousin? I mean Princess Alexandra was there too.

By the way, it's a shame that you can't see her completely, I mean Princess Alexandra.

Yes, given that the Countess Mountbatten of Burma was not only a family member but also a close friend of the duke of Edinburgh who shared his passion for buggy riding. So, it makes sense to include someone from his own Mountbatten-family (although by marriage) whom he was extremely close to over a cousin that he never was truly close to (as far as we know0.

I am sure prince Michael would have been included if they had 40 spots available but they had to make choices (just like the Duchess of Gloucester; and princess Michael of Kent were unfortunately left off the list). The Countess Mountbatten of Burma was probably first on the list after the children and grandchildren. Next, Philip's German cousins/great-nephews, his nephew and niece (by marriage) and only then came the queen's cousins; and they picked the working senior royals (by birth) over the non-working royal.

Last edited:
The Countess Mountbatten of Burma before a cousin? I mean Princess Alexandra was there too.

Aside from being a close friend of Philip, Penny was also there as a representative for Louis Mountbatten's side of the family and as such a representative for Philip's extended family.

The Family and guests at the funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56765468

Always helpful to have a visual representation - although it would have been even nicer if they were consistent in their use of titles instead of some kind of weird mixture. Happy to see that it completely matches the overview I created on Saturday.

I'm not surprised Charles needs to be alone. He looked absolutely gutted on Saturday. No matter how much you think you're prepared, you're never really ready for someone you love to die.

Truth. I think it’s been underreported now close he and his father had become over the last decade or two; people prefer/preferred to rehash old stuff (same with Charles’ relationship with his mother). From what I’ve read, Charles idolized his dad, sought his approval - ultimately he got it. I can’t comprehend how he’s feeling now, and I think being out in gorgeous Wales, in nature, is just the thing for him.

I'm not surprised Charles needs to be alone. He looked absolutely gutted on Saturday. No matter how much you think you're prepared, you're never really ready for someone you love to die.

So true. You’re never ready for it. He did look gutted. So did Anne.

He could not be accommodated among the 30 mourners that were allowed. This also applied to for example The Duchess of Gloucester who also couldn't come due to the limited number of spots available. And I am sure there were many others whom they truly had hoped to include but unfortunately couldn't.

It's also possible that they were invited and decline for some reason. We can't assume they were omitted from the original guest list.

It's also possible that they were invited and decline for some reason. We can't assume they were omitted from the original guest list.

True but it seems rather unlikely (unless the Duchess of Gloucester was ill) that she was invited but declined. There isn't anybody that I would expect to have been lower on the list than prince Michael of Kent - and promoted because he chose not to attend. He probably would have been number 31...

The only one that someone might mention is Daniel Chatto but it seems David & Sarah are considered part of the 'inner' family and so, Daniel was treated the same way the spouses of the grandchildren were treated.

I’ve just seen Katie Nichol’s error now going back to the part I missed yesterday. Shocked to see her making such an error after seeing her on so many Royal documentaries during lockdown.

That must have been Reeta, I was sure that was what she said but haven’t needed to go back to my recording as it’s all on YouTube to watch back. The BBC coverage on YouTube cuts off just before Reeta’s error as it was when the news started.

Edward being both the youngest child and the oldest when he became a parent himself (39; Charles was 33, Anne 27 and Andrew 28) does put Louise and James closer in age to their cousins once removed rather than their cousins, but in COVID times it was a surprising error. That they were seated with Edward and Sophie during the service should have made it obvious who they were.

Yes, it was as the news began.

I was really hoping Louise would inherit the ponies and carriage.

Me too. Especially seeing Louise out exercising the ponies in the carriage the morning her grandfather died. It was her own personal way, I think, of grieving and "doing" for Grandpa.

With Louise over to the stables a lot with the ponies and the carriage and the Queen being based at Windsor more, I bet it'll draw those two women even closer together now. They have something very special to bond them together.

Just read that the signal 'Action Stations' means that everyone on the ship needs to take his position. So, we had:
1. Last Post: Final Farewell for a soldier laid to rest
2. Reveille: Symbolizing Philip's welcome into/waking up in heaven I assume (or something along those lines)
3. Action Stations: Call for everyone (left behind) to take in their position

Just read that the signal 'Action Stations' means that everyone on the ship needs to take his position. So, we had:
2. Reveille: Symbolizing Philip's welcome into/waking up in heaven I assume (or something along those lines)

That so sounds like Philip.

When I read that - on Saturday - I got so emotional. There’s something wonderful and moving about military tributes.

The Court Circular entry for the Funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh:

17 April 2021
Windsor Castle
The Funeral of The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh took place in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, this afternoon.

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke of Sussex, The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank and Mr. Jack Brooksbank, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, accompanied by the Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and Viscount Severn, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Mr. Peter Phillips, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Tindall, the Earl of Snowdon, Mr. Daniel and the Lady Sarah Chatto, The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy were present.

The Hereditary Prince of Baden, The Landgrave of Hesse, The Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and the Countess Mountbatten of Burma attended.

The Dean of Windsor conducted the Service and offered the Commendatory Prayer.

The Archbishop of Canterbury pronounced the Blessing.

Garter Principal King of Arms proclaimed The Duke of Edinburgh's Styles and Titles.

Detachments of Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard, the Military Knights of Windsor, a Dismounted Detachment of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, the Royal Navy Piping Party, a Guard of Honour, found by The Rifles, and Defence Advisers from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Trinidad and Tobago were on duty outside the Chapel.

Representatives from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Army and Royal Air Force lined the processional route.

Minute Guns were fired for the duration of the Procession from the East Lawn of the Castle by The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, under the command of Major Victoria Flood.

Mike Tindall has spoken about Prince Philip's funeral on The Good, The Bad & The Rugby podcast with Alex Payne and James Haskell. He stated that the funeral is exactly what Philip wanted: No fuss and get on with it. He used the word "eerie" twice, especially with Philip's cap on the carriage and naval hat on the coffin. He also stated his love for The Queen, who sat alone and led by example in aligning with COVID-19 restriction.

The relevant part started at 1:40 with Alex Payne first contributing and asking Mike Tindall on the funeral and ends at 3:47.

For those who are interested in the music performed/played during Prince Philip's funeral, I found an Youtube video with time stamps capturing every live footages of each piece. The channel CHOR GESANG - Das Musikmagazin has also listed the time stamp and name of each piece in both the description box and pinned comment.
00:00​ | "I Vow to Thee My Country"
02:39​ | "Supreme Sacrifice"
05:14​ | "Jerusalem" Hubert Parry
07:14​ | "Nimrod the Hunter" Edward Elgar
11:08​ | "God Save the Queen"
11:53​ | "Funeral March" Johann Walch
18:54​ | "I am the Resurrection" William Croft
22:10​ | "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" William Witting
25:26​ | "Jubilate Deo" Benjamin Britten
28:12​ | "Psalm 104" William Lovelady
33:32​ | The Lord's Prayer "Our Father"
36:25​ | "Russian Kontakion of the Departed" Sir Walter Parratt
40:39​ | "Flowers of the Forest" by Pipe Major of The Royal Regiment of Scotland
42:44​ | "A Lament and The Last Post" played by the Royal Marines
44:26​ | "Reveille" played by the State Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry
45:32​ | "God Save the Queen"
Some users in the comment section have noted that "Isle of Beauty" between "Jerusalem" and "Nimrod the Hunter" was left out.

Last edited:
I thought so too. I know she is an elderly lady but IMO she has always given the impression (in public at least) of being an energetic person despite her years. But yesterday...it was just so sad to see her as you say looking so small, fragile & vulnerable.

I'm sure the weeks of his final illness were a great trial for her. I don't care what anyone says, no matter how long you may know in your mind that a loved one is dying, in your heart you are never prepared for it.

May God grant her peace, strength and courage to go on without her "strength and stay".

Beautifully stated.

Mike Tindall confirmed that after the funeral (and the walk up to the Castle) the family members went to their cars and left.

"Then the funeral finished and it was 'get in your cars and go home', but that is what was allowed, that is what the rules state, so that is what happened."

Y'know, I'm glad Mike Tindall came out and went public with this statement. It shows that even how big and important and well known the Duke of Edinburgh was and the fact that it was a royal family funeral, they still strictly adhered to the guidelines in place and followed them to the letter. To me, this is a prime example of being of service to the people. There's no "do as I say and not as I do" with this family. Setting an example. They could have very easily found loopholes around things for themselves on this occasion but they didn't.

Y'know, I'm glad Mike Tindall came out and went public with this statement. It shows that even how big and important and well known the Duke of Edinburgh was and the fact that it was a royal family funeral, they still strictly adhered to the guidelines in place and followed them to the letter. To me, this is a prime example of being of service to the people. There's no "do as I say and not as I do" with this family. Setting an example. They could have very easily found loopholes around things for themselves on this occasion but they didn't.

Yes, very true.......... For all the privileges afforded the BRF, it doesn't shield them from loss such as everyone else suffers. In the way that the Queen was so alone, that her family couldn't comfort her and each other........just like so many of us.

For those who are interested in the music performed/played during Prince Philip's funeral, I found an Youtube video with time stamps capturing every live footages of each piece. The channel CHOR GESANG - Das Musikmagazin has also listed the time stamp and name of each piece in both the description box and pinned comment.

Some users in the comment section have noted that "Isle of Beauty" between "Jerusalem" and "Nimrod the Hunter" was left out.

Elegant...somber...a flawless service from start to finish.

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but this thread seems appropriate.

How beautiful, and that photo of father and son...������..in a boat, which is so appropriate ������

This is the card - with black borders - you will receive if you wrote to the Prince Charles a condolence letter or card on the occasion of Prince Philip’s death.

Credits: lise_m_d on IG.

For the Queen:

So poignant...what a gorgeous photo of Philip ������

This the card you will receive if you wrote to the Queen a condolence letter or card on the occasion of Prince Philip’s death.

Credits to sunshine_and_santa_claus on IG.

Last edited:
I love that photo of Charles and Philip. It seems fitting that he chose a photo of them on the water.

I love that photo of Charles and Philip. It seems fitting that he chose a photo of them on the water.

I said the same thing - and my tweet was included in the Daily Mail article ! It's right under the photo of Charles from the funeral........the middle one. I guess I'm infamous, lol.

I love the fact it's a photo of them in a boat.....Charles is looking at his papa like he's the sun and moon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ce-Philip.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Famous, infamous ~ you’re very quotable!

I am ! Now that I think about it, I’m surprised that they didn’t ask, but I’m ok with that....I guess I’ve had my second 15 minutes of fame, lol

Back
Top Bottom