The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2021, 11:11 AM
Aristocracy

Hello, I am new and have been reading this thread for a while.
I hope HM and the closest folks are comforted by the ceremony the Duke had so well prepared for them. Here in my hometown Copenhagen we had the flags halfway down to show the connection and respect for a prince of ours (royal house P. was born to) who has died. Our Queen admired the british for her lifelong service and dedication. Though surely our royals would have loved to be able to attend for the BRF it seemed to be a very intimate and probably therefor appreciated service.

I do not know the Lady Mountbatten, can someone explain where she was seated or seen?Txs.
Somebody asked where the German princes sat. Well, when the coffin stopped at the beginning of the choir on the left side row 1 Philipp sat and on the top row the Princes from Baden and Hesse. Philipp can again be seen in the background when the Tindals are leaving the choir and walking away from the chapel.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

"The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral was watched by more than 13 million television viewers in the UK, overnight figures showed. The one-hour service was viewed by 11 million people on the BBC, 2.1 million on ITV, and around 450,000 on Sky.
(...)
In 2002, more than 10 million watched the funeral of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in the UK - though that ceremony was held on a Tuesday. In 1997, the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was watched by 31 million people - a record audience figure. And some 13.1 million tuned into the BBC's coverage of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56792086

I thought a lot of people would watch it live because the Duke has been a prominent public figure here for as long as most of us can remember.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Gordonstoun in Scotland held its on tribute yesterday to the late duke and past pupil.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
"The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral was watched by more than 13 million television viewers in the UK, overnight figures showed. The one-hour service was viewed by 11 million people on the BBC, 2.1 million on ITV, and around 450,000 on Sky.
(...)
In 2002, more than 10 million watched the funeral of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in the UK - though that ceremony was held on a Tuesday. In 1997, the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, was watched by 31 million people - a record audience figure. And some 13.1 million tuned into the BBC's coverage of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018."

I thought a lot of people would watch it live because the Duke has been a prominent public figure here for as long as most of us can remember.

And these numbers will only go up, the overnight figures are always lower than the total which come out in about a week or so and include those who watched on iplayer, itvplayer etc.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:21 PM
Commoner

A photographer was hidden in a fake pillar at the top of the stairs. Flawless preparation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/146819...pain-up-close/

I was so impressed with the planning and the changes that needed to be made due to Covid. The overhead shot of the pallbearers on the steps outside encapsulates the gorgeous and detailed work that went into this event:

https://twitter.com/zezenzuska/statu...324128771?s=21
Old 04-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanHarry View Post
A photographer was hidden in a fake pillar at the top of the stairs. Flawless preparation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/146819...pain-up-close/

I was so impressed with the planning and the changes that needed to be made due to Covid. The overhead shot of the pallbearers on the steps outside encapsulates the gorgeous and detailed work that went into this event:

That’s Arthur Edwards, who is highly respected by the BRF. Prince Philip suggested he “hide” there for photos..
Old 04-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
And these numbers will only go up, the overnight figures are always lower than the total which come out in about a week or so and include those who watched on iplayer, itvplayer etc.
The Dean of Canterbury seems to have thought that around 2.5 billion people world wide would have watched at least some of it but I can't find out where he saw that figure or if it's at all accurate.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Telegraph article on Philip and Charles’ relationship - by Charles’ biographer, Sally Bedell Smith. I love reading

Quote:
The long-held conventional wisdom about Prince Philip and his eldest son emphasised their perceived differences: the father brusque, resilient, stoic, assertive, disciplined and self-contained; the son sensitive, insecure, introspective, emotive and vacillating. As Philip once said: “He’s a romantic, and I’m a pragmatist.” Yet both men were also known for their inquiring minds, their probing questions in conversation and their absorption in intellectual pursuits such as interfaith dialogue, as well as their shared interests in sports and culture. Prince Philip was as sensitive as his son, but he worked hard to hide that side of his personality.

In fact, their similarities were far more important and helped smooth their relationship as each man grew more mellow and tolerant in recent years. Charles equally came to accept his father’s influences that he had previously resisted and even rejected. This new mutual affection was evident throughout Philip’s final illness, when Charles stayed in constant contact with him. As Charles assumes his new role as paterfamilias as well as chief supporter of the Queen, the imprint of Prince Philip will likely come into sharper relief.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...ky-beginnings/
Old 04-18-2021, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I already loved Kate, and I loved her relationship with Charles, but these photos.....

Old 04-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I watched the funeral later in the day our time .. deeply moving simply who Prince Philip was devoted honourable it was a quiet celebration of a massive life the music was magnificently chosen by HRH everything was perfect I remain in awe of HM ...
Old 04-18-2021, 01:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeas View Post
I do not know the Lady Mountbatten, can someone explain where she was seated or seen?Txs.
Somebody asked where the German princes sat. Well, when the coffin stopped at the beginning of the choir on the left side row 1 Philipp sat and on the top row the Princes from Baden and Hesse. Philipp can again be seen in the background when the Tindals are leaving the choir and walking away from the chapel.
Happy to repeat the full seating arrangement as I figured out by rewatching parts of the video (entrance of the procession into the quire) to get the 'second section' right as that was hardest to decipher.

The seating arrangement in the quire was as follows:

Queen's side:
First section - second row: HM The Queen, the Duke of York, the vice-admiral sir Timothy Laurence & the Princess Royal, the Duke of Sussex
Second section - third row: The Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Second section - end of first row: The Landgrave of Hesse

Prince of Wales's side:
First section - first row: The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor & The Countess of Wessex (& Forfar) & Viscount Severn & The Earl of Wessex (& Forfar), the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
First section - third row: Princess Beatrice & Edo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank, Zara & Mike Tindall
Second section - third row: Peter Phillips, The Earl of Snowdon, Lady Sarah & Daniel Chatto, The Hereditary Prince of Baden
Second section - end of first row: The Fürst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

So, Lady Mountbatten of Burma was seated next to princess Alexandra. In addition, the Landgrave of Hesse did NOT sit on the same row as the hereditary prince of Baden (you mistook Daniel Chatto for the landgrave) but opposite the Fürst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg on the front row.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
In the end it doesn't really matter and it was a private note. It could have been "Lillibet" or "your devoted wife", but it would have been very charming if she had signed it "cabbage."
From what I can see (on a few pictures some letters are visible), I would say it says 'Lilibet'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Pretty sure more than those three people called her Lillibet. Like Pamela and Patricia Mountbatten amongst others....
Agreed, including for example the king of Spain (and probably many of the younger generation of royals), who even used 'aunt Lilibet' in his telegram to the Queen upon learning of the death of the duke of Edinburgh aka 'Uncle Philip'.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Aristocracy

I recorded the funeral to watch later. It was beautifully done, the music magnificent, the readings appropriate--all orchestrated by Philip himself.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
They got it totally right too on the royal family websites after the funeral was all said and done. That photo of Philip walking away doffing his hat as a "So long..." really was elegant in its simplicity.

Everything about Saturday from start to finish was done to perfection. Just as a perfectionist would have wanted it to be.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmaiden23 View Post
the hauntingly beautiful russian kontakion for the departed was perfect at the end.
****attn moderators: Please delete this comment as it is a duplicate. Apologies. Thank you***,,

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-18-2021, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
They got it totally right too on the royal family websites after the funeral was all said and done. That photo of Philip walking away doffing his hat as a "So long..." really was elegant in its simplicity.

Everything about Saturday from start to finish was done to perfection. Just as a perfectionist would have wanted it to be.

Totally agree. It was. From start to finish it was beautifully handled. Including the family websites.

I do get a kick out of the fact that it apparently wasn’t planned for the family to walk after the service. I think Philip would have liked going a little off script there.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I already loved Kate, and I loved her relationship with Charles, but these photos.....

That is very sweet.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Katie Nicholl, and other British and non-British royal reporters, make errors all the time. She made an egregious error in a written cover story she did on Princess Anne for Vanity Fair, which is much more damaging because that misrepresentation has been and will be used as evidence of a "royal tradition" that is in fact not a royal tradition.

I think this comes about because a reporter may start reporting a certain royal (or royal adjacent), and they get certain visibility and media outlets start inviting them, or they make themselves available, to give commentary about royals and miscellaneous royal matters. Apparently how knowledgeable they are about royals in general, royal history and conventions isn't a deciding factor in them getting these assignments and opportunities.

Again, Katie Nicholl is not the only royal reporter I have seen give erroneous information, but the Vanity Fair misinformation was (to me) beyond to pale.
I must've missed it - what happened with Vanity Fair and Katie Nicoll's misinformation regarding Princess Anne?.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
From what I can see (on a few pictures some letters are visible), I would say it says 'Lilibet'.

Agreed, including for example the king of Spain (and probably many of the younger generation of royals), who even used 'aunt Lilibet' in his telegram to the Queen upon learning of the death of the duke of Edinburgh aka 'Uncle Philip'.
I watched a documentary years ago about the Queen's coronation and Prince Michael was one of the people being interviewed. He referred to the Queen at one point as Lilibet so I imagine her cousins must also be allowed to call her that.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
(...)

I also thought that more people than 13 million would turn in to Watch the Duke's funeral, for the same reasons you stated.
WOW 31 million for Diana's funeral, I didn't know that. That's a record that I wonder if anyone can replicate!!