The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2021, 06:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Has a woman ever been in a choir that sang at a royal ceremonial funeral before? Presumably a first? If anyone knows.
At Dianaís funeral, Lynne Dawson (soprano) sang with the BBC Singers part of Verdiís Requiem, Libera Me. It was stunningly beautiful but absolutely gut wrenching.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Majesty

The Jubilate by Benjamin Britten in C was stupendous.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Wow, thatís a gut punch seeing the board change to just the. Queen ...
It is a change - the thread title seems lonely now.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Wow, thatís a gut punch seeing the board change to just the. Queen ...
It does feel so very strange. It almost feels like the world itself is a bit off kilter this week. Iím sure it wonít stay that way for long but heís been such an ingrained part of life for so long...
Old 04-17-2021, 07:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBettie View Post
I am always intrigued by the seating chart at royal events. If Prince Philip’s funeral was in non-COVID times, who would have been invited from the extended Royal Family, the Germans, the Mountbattens, the Greeks, foreign royals, etc? Would it have been a couple of representatives or would it have been everyone? Who would have sat opposite the Queen and in the rest of the Quire? How many seats are there in the Quire anyway?

I am going down the rabbit hole looking at weddings and funerals at both Westminster and St George’s.
Already before COVID the Duke stated: no fuss please. Also that simple Landrover showed his desire to keep it sober. Undoubtedly we would have seen more people but it would have been Prince Philip's wish not to endulge in too pompous ceremonies.

The fact that it was his wish that no sermon or eulogy was spoken already shows the desired simplicity. So a big Westminster or St Paul's funeral? Maybe it also would have been a Windsor funeral, like today, when there was no COVID.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Yesss! Saw it again. That's an astute observation. Btw, Sir Timothy Laurence and Prince Harry bowed before leaving the chapel. Whom did they bow to?
They were bowing to the cross at the altar. Anglicans do this (bow our heads) as the cross processes up (or down) the aisles and if you walk by the altar, we stop and bow. Genuflecting is a bit different: you go down on one knee, generally before the sacrament.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I think I did read somewhere once in one of those very speculative articles journalists right frequently that Philip had said he wanted his funeral to be at Windsor, this was reported back a long time ago i.e. years and years ago. That said I read in recent days about the Land Rover being earmarked to take Philip from London to Windsor etc as if a London aspect was planned. TBH I could imagine something very much like today but with a longer route - maybe down the Long Walk and back into town to St George's through the Henry VIII gateway.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Catholics genuflect to the altar only when the Blessed Sacrament is kept behind it. I don't know what the Anglican custom is.
Anglicans genuflect for the sacrament as well; but they didnít have Holy Eucharist at this funeral - which some people do, so there wasnít anything to genuflect to. People were bowing to the cross as an act of thanks and devotion.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBettie View Post
I am always intrigued by the seating chart at royal events. If Prince Philip’s funeral was in non-COVID times, who would have been invited from the extended Royal Family, the Germans, the Mountbattens, the Greeks, foreign royals, etc? Would it have been a couple of representatives or would it have been everyone? Who would have sat opposite the Queen and in the rest of the Quire? How many seats are there in the Quire anyway?

I am going down the rabbit hole looking at weddings and funerals at both Westminster and St George’s.
Originally they had planned for 800 People to attend though that would have been for the Funeral in London at Westminster’s Abbey. It would have included Royals from all the current houses in Europe and representatives from all the commonwealth countries.

I imagine Jill Biden would have attended as a representative of the U.S., Our First Ladies usually attend these kind of events
Old 04-17-2021, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
They were all marvelous. Having buried several people I love I can't even being to imagine how difficult it must be to have to mourn and say goodbye someone you love dearly with thousands of people watching. They all did it so beautifully even as you could see the sorrow and heartbreak on their faces.
Iím glad you brought this up. Truly, it was a lovely, moving, and dignified service. The only thing that bothered me was the cameras on the 30 mourners. I did not think it appropriate for the public to essentially intrude on the grief of this family. There were no cameras on the mourners at Dianaís funeral. The readers, clergy, singers - absolutely. I was honestly shocked that they showed the family during the service. Before and after - ok. But not during a religious service even though for the most part, the cameras were at a distance. Just my opinion. I believe it would have been more respectful to allow them their privacy.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It is a change - the thread title seems lonely now.
She does look lonely. Does this mean any threads about Philip are going to be moved to British history?
Old 04-17-2021, 07:34 PM
Majesty

Moved to different thread.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
It does feel so very strange. It almost feels like the world itself is a bit off kilter this week. Iím sure it wonít stay that way for long but heís been such an ingrained part of life for so long...
I'll be honest, it never even occurred to me to think that such a change would be made.....I've lost my grandparents, but I haven't lost any parent or siblings, and so I really don't handle death well. I can't bear to think that Philip is gone, even though he lived a very wonderful and incredible 99 years. It just seems strange, like you said.........
Old 04-17-2021, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetseyPaige
Does this mean any threads about Philip are going to be moved to British history?
No, we will leave the threads where they are for the upcoming years, as we did for Prince Henrik of Denmark, Prince Friso of the Netherlands and Mr Ari Behn after their deaths.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Todays events were beautifully arranged and carried out perfectly. The procession and ceremony were very poignant, very tranquil and very moving.

Most particularly I found two parts very emotional indeed: to see the Queen sitting alone, head bowed yet stoic and the piper playing and as Prince Philip's coffin was being lowered into the vault - then he turned and walked outside with the sound of the bagpipes getting quieter as they drifted off into the distance.

As an aside, we have the following thread where we discussed Prince Philip stating that he did not want to have a state funeral: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ral-36023.html
Old 04-17-2021, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
No, we will leave the threads where they are for the upcoming years, as we did for Prince Henrik of Denmark, Prince Friso of the Netherlands and Mr Ari Behn after their deaths.
Thanks! Ok, so HM isn't so lonely........I don't know why, that makes me feel better.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post

My sentiments exactly.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

The funeral was very moving. Watching the Queen alone was heart-wrenching, but you can tell her family is rallying around her.

The most emotional part was the call of the Last Post - signified how the military was central to the late Duke.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:06 PM
Nobility

I was unable to watch the funeral in its entirety because a dear friend died today. But I caught some glimpses and the sight of the Queen, all alone, head bowed, was touching.

I'll watch it in the next days. This far, from the little I've seen, it was dignified, moving and all it should have been.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Loved the jubullate deo.
Thinking back on the day- personally I share HM’s deep Christian faith- though I’d say I’m less religious and more spiritual.

I enjoy the works of Neale Donald Walsch- and my thoughts on seeing her head bowed most of the time- it made perfect sense though I’ve never seen it before- my thought was “ Oh, she’s having a conversation with God, and Phillip, and Phillip is beside her,, whispering in her ear.” I have no doubt that Phillip conversed with her.