The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2021, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen sat on her own was heartbreaking. What a cruel time we live in when even comfort is denied to the grieving in a chapel. How many others has this happened to over the last year I wonder.

She looked so small & frail & vulnerable.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Where are those reports coming from?
I think that one was Hello magazine!

I remember there being a very distressing report in the papers last year about some official at a crematorium who'd reprimanded a son who'd gone to comfort his grieving mother at his father's funeral. I appreciate that the virus doesn't care what the occasion is, but it's very hard for someone to have to sit alone at a loved one's funeral.

Maybe James just didn't feel comfortable walking behind the coffin. He hasn't been in the public eye very much, and this would have been a very difficult time to have public attention on him.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:12 PM
Royal Highness

The wreaths of the Presidents and foreign royals have been placed on the outside of the chapel. Right of the entrance. You can see it on the TV coverage. We saw Edward and Sophie looking at them on Thursday. There is a really striking on from the people of Canada.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I think everything they read was printed out in the order of service available from the monarchy website.
Yes, it was, except for the Blessing by the Archbishop.

It was first posted by Iluvbertie and reposted by Tatiana Maria as a courtesy but I guess a third time won't hurt for those who missed their posts in the many posts about his death and funeral.

Order of Service

I personally thought they did a rather good job in keeping sufficient distance from the mourners; there were some more close up images but mostly it was from a distance. I agree with you that those that were seated in the second section were not seen as often; it was rather dark and clearly the cameras could only 'reach' them from a distance.

Check the entrance of the procession into the quire for some images of both the German relatives and partial/limited images of the other family members; the dukes of G and K could be seen several times during the service (but it might help if you know where they are seated).
Old 04-17-2021, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

My heart broke for the Queen- I so admire her. Like “ Mummy “ on Diana’s coffin “ I love you, Lilybet “ seemed to say everything.
I cried a lot today- at the carriage of ponies- at the staff standing guard , at the coffin with his hat. He would have rolled his eyes.
One little bit of humor- I had no idea the floor would open- I said “ Oh my, YRH hope they don’t drop you”! He would have laughed!
You’re never ready for this day, but I am happy. No doubt it was a Royal send off, but it was so Phillip- no fuss.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A look back at today's Funeral of the late Duke of Edinburgh.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM
Nobility

This is a sad send off and it shows just how horrible Covid is because Prince Philip's fundraising and public service deserved a much more numerous funeral than this.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

The BBC has posted an edited version of the funeral:

So beautiful...the music is gorgeous. Seeing tiny HM look so fragile is difficult...Everyone is so obviously bereft ...I truly hope they can spend some time together

https://twitter.com/victoriaarbiter/...432625155?s=21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
My heart broke for the Queen- I so admire her. Like “ Mummy “ on Diana’s coffin “ I love you, Lilybet “ seemed to say everything.
I cried a lot today- at the carriage of ponies- at the staff standing guard , at the coffin with his hat. He would have rolled his eyes.
One little bit of humor- I had no idea the floor would open- I said “ Oh my, YRH hope they don’t drop you”! He would have laughed!
You’re never ready for this day, but I am happy. No doubt it was a Royal send off, but it was so Phillip- no fuss.
Is that what the note said? 💔💔💔💔😭😭😭😭😭
Old 04-17-2021, 05:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Princess had some lovely words about her great uncle.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-56783817
She speaks really good English and it's nice when a family member can say such warm statements about a relative.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
The note on the floral from The Queen was "In loving memory"
Old 04-17-2021, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
The note on the floral from The Queen was "In loving memory"
I can't imagine her putting anyting like "I love you Lilybet"....
Old 04-17-2021, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
This is a sad send off and it shows just how horrible Covid is because Prince Philip's fundraising and public service deserved a much more numerous funeral than this.
God willing, the Royal Family will probably plan something appropriate in his memory, after COVID.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
its not a sad send off at all. He never wanted a big funeral and it is quite impossible to have one at presnet.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Personally I found this far more poignant, tranquil, beautiful and immensely regal than any big public funeral in overcrowded streets of London would have been.

The same for the Trooping. The ceremony in the quadrangle last year was so beautiful. It must be the combination of the mediaeval setting in lush green countryside. It is so different from marching through London's streets with public behind fenzes gazing at royals.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, that’s a gut punch seeing the board change to just the. Queen ...
Old 04-17-2021, 06:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Wow, that’s a gut punch seeing the board change to just the. Queen ...
I hadn't noticed until you said and it is a gut punch.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:38 PM

I am always intrigued by the seating chart at royal events. If Prince Philip’s funeral was in non-COVID times, who would have been invited from the extended Royal Family, the Germans, the Mountbattens, the Greeks, foreign royals, etc? Would it have been a couple of representatives or would it have been everyone? Who would have sat opposite the Queen and in the rest of the Quire? How many seats are there in the Quire anyway?

I am going down the rabbit hole looking at weddings and funerals at both Westminster and St George’s.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I hadn't noticed until you said and it is a gut punch.
I am a bit confused, what board.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

The title of the sub forum has changed to just "Queen Elizabeth II"

I read somewhere that HM has hosted up to 15 people for a reception after, the current Covid guidelines only allow up to 15 people to take part in something like this but I'm glad it means (if it did happen) that HM didn't just have to go back to her apartments by herself.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The title of the sub forum has changed to just "Queen Elizabeth II"

I read somewhere that HM has hosted up to 15 people for a reception after, the current Covid guidelines only allow up to 15 people to take part in something like this but I'm glad it means (if it did happen) that HM didn't just have to go back to her apartments by herself.
Oh dear I missed that. Thank you.