The Funeral of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moved to different thread.

Last edited:
It does feel so very strange. It almost feels like the world itself is a bit off kilter this week. I’m sure it won’t stay that way for long but he’s been such an ingrained part of life for so long...

I'll be honest, it never even occurred to me to think that such a change would be made.....I've lost my grandparents, but I haven't lost any parent or siblings, and so I really don't handle death well. I can't bear to think that Philip is gone, even though he lived a very wonderful and incredible 99 years. It just seems strange, like you said.........

BetseyPaige said:
Does this mean any threads about Philip are going to be moved to British history?

No, we will leave the threads where they are for the upcoming years, as we did for Prince Henrik of Denmark, Prince Friso of the Netherlands and Mr Ari Behn after their deaths.

Last edited:
Todays events were beautifully arranged and carried out perfectly. The procession and ceremony were very poignant, very tranquil and very moving.

Most particularly I found two parts very emotional indeed: to see the Queen sitting alone, head bowed yet stoic and the piper playing and as Prince Philip's coffin was being lowered into the vault - then he turned and walked outside with the sound of the bagpipes getting quieter as they drifted off into the distance.

As an aside, we have the following thread where we discussed Prince Philip stating that he did not want to have a state funeral: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/philip-i-dont-want-a-state-funeral-36023.html

No, we will leave the threads where they are for the upcoming years, as we did for Prince Henrik of Denmark, Prince Friso of the Netherlands and Mr Ari Behn after their deaths.

Thanks! Ok, so HM isn't so lonely........I don't know why, that makes me feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does feel so very strange. It almost feels like the world itself is a bit off kilter this week. I’m sure it won’t stay that way for long but he’s been such an ingrained part of life for so long...

My sentiments exactly.

The funeral was very moving. Watching the Queen alone was heart-wrenching, but you can tell her family is rallying around her.

The most emotional part was the call of the Last Post - signified how the military was central to the late Duke.

I was unable to watch the funeral in its entirety because a dear friend died today. But I caught some glimpses and the sight of the Queen, all alone, head bowed, was touching.

I'll watch it in the next days. This far, from the little I've seen, it was dignified, moving and all it should have been.

Loved the jubullate deo.
Thinking back on the day- personally I share HM’s deep Christian faith- though I’d say I’m less religious and more spiritual.

I enjoy the works of Neale Donald Walsch- and my thoughts on seeing her head bowed most of the time- it made perfect sense though I’ve never seen it before- my thought was “ Oh, she’s having a conversation with God, and Phillip, and Phillip is beside her,, whispering in her ear.” I have no doubt that Phillip conversed with her.

I was unable to watch the funeral in its entirety because a dear friend died today. But I caught some glimpses and the sight of the Queen, all alone, head bowed, was touching.

I'll watch it in the next days. This far, from the little I've seen, it was dignified, moving and all it should have been.

I’m so sorry....??

I just saw the video of the Royal Marines playing Last Post ...how incredibly moving and beautiful; the way the notes echoed in the Chapel...it was haunting.

I just read that the sword on the coffin was a gift from George VI...???

I’m glad you brought this up. Truly, it was a lovely, moving, and dignified service. The only thing that bothered me was the cameras on the 30 mourners. I did not think it appropriate for the public to essentially intrude on the grief of this family. There were no cameras on the mourners at Diana’s funeral. The readers, clergy, singers - absolutely. I was honestly shocked that they showed the family during the service. Before and after - ok. But not during a religious service even though for the most part, the cameras were at a distance. Just my opinion. I believe it would have been more respectful to allow them their privacy.

To be fair, the coverage was extremely respectful to all attendees. Also at Diana's funeral we have seen images during the service. For an example during the eulogy spoken by Lord Spencer, we have seen the royal family captured in the cameras.

I must have missed that. I can’t remember cameras showing the reactions of any members of the Royal Family during or after Earl Spencer’s eulogy to his sister.

I enjoyed the footage of all the regiments marching up into the quadrangle and the band music was lovely. The British do ceremony so very well. When , I Vow to thee my country music started I was feeling a bit emotional then when her car started off and they played her anthem I teared up. The music inside the nave was haunting and lovely. The acoustics so beautiful and crisp with that part of the building being empty.
It was heartbreaking to see the Queen looking so tiny and all alone with her head bowed.
The Last Post always makes me emotional. I thought the whole service was lovely and I am sure the Duke would have been proud.
As the family walked up the hill it looked to me that Lord Linley was consoling an upset Peter Philips.
A lovely tribute to the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Tarlita I agree, as I watched the footage of the family walking back to the State Apartments I also thought that Peter Phillips was visibly upset and being consoled by the Earl of Snowden.

Has a woman ever been in a choir that sang at a royal ceremonial funeral before? Presumably a first? If anyone knows.

I think so. St. George's doesn't have a girls choir and neither does WA. But I couldn't say for sure if they had any female lay clerks (adult choir members) I don't think so, although St Paul's does.

About the choir, according to Charlie Proctor of Royal Central:
Charlie Proctor
@MonarchyUK
The choir at Prince Philip’s funeral consisted of soprano Miriam Allan and lay clarks Tom Liliburn, Nick Madden and Simon Whiteley.

#PrincePhilipFuneral
10:50 PM · Apr 17, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Charlie Proctor
@MonarchyUK
The three men were members of the royal choir. Miriam was not, but lived locally to St George’s Chapel and was asked to take part in proceedings.
11:49 AM · Apr 18, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

The service, no fuss, no spectators, carriage, pipers, the straightforwardness, everything, is so Philip.

While I'm on youtube, I re-watch this:

"To try and create a memorial for yourself while you are alive is indecent."

“I’d rather other people decide what legacy I have left - I’m not trying to create one."

“If I can make life marginally more tolerable for people who come afterwards I’d be delighted.”

- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

They don't make men like him anymore. :sad:

The images of The Countess Mountbatten of Burma are haunting. She looks utterly devastated- more so than anyone else at the funeral to be honest.

Did it?

i've heard several discussions on social media as "In Loving Memory" was what The Queen had written on the floral tribute on her mother's coffin.

I don't think anything has been confirmed, and a lot of people are merging floral tributes from past funerals.

I couldn't read the card but from waht I could see it looked more like "In loving memory". I cant see the queen writing someting like "I love you Lilybet" or Even "Lillibet"...

There were such beautiful moments: Catherine being consoled by Sophie, Peter being comforted by the Earl of Snowdon, the two York daughers being held by/holding hands with their husbands as to not break down...

Everyone was in a deep state of mourning, he truly was the patriarch, the North Star of the family and they all feel that loss deeply, Charles looked completely devastated and he knows he has to take over as the "man of the family", specially now that HM looks so fragile and sad.

A long life, well lived and with a great legacy, but it is still a loss and they as a family feel it keenly.

Did it?

i've heard several discussions on social media as "In Loving Memory" was what The Queen had written on the floral tribute on her mother's coffin.

I don't think anything has been confirmed, and a lot of people are merging floral tributes from past funerals.

I saw In Loving Memory also, watching the BBC Coverage. It’s around the 2:25:50 mark.

At first watch I did wonder if there might have been something else written below the flowers where the cameras couldn’t catch it and splash it all over the press, but it must have been from a different angle as I don’t think there could be from that shot.

Was Lady Sarah Chatto present ?

She probably was but I must have missed her.

It may or may not be “In Loving Memory”, but you can see there is something written underneath, and I do believe it is “Lilibet”. I don’t understand this notion that the Queen wouldn’t do such a thing - she’s saying goodbye forever to the man she’s loved for 70 plus years. Sending her beloved Philip into eternity with his pet nickname for her sounds exactly like what she’d do...

It may or may not be “In Loving Memory”, but you can see there is something written underneath, and I do believe it is “Lilibet”. I don’t understand this notion that the Queen wouldn’t do such a thing - she’s saying goodbye forever to the man she’s loved for 70 plus years. Sending her beloved Philip into eternity with his pet nickname for her sounds exactly like what she’d do...

I understand that once when she was going to see him in hospital she had a card for him that was addressed to HRH P Philip or something formal like that... so I can't see her putting a pet name or "I love you", on a publicly seen card.... it wasn't his name for her particularly, it was the name her family called her...I think that she showed that her grief is something she keeps very private, the way she looked down all through the service...
I think that at the time of Diana's death, someone noted that she referred to her as "Diana", and that that was very rare for her to just use a family members name.. by her standards it was very informal..

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss, Moran.

Where should obituaries and other articles about the Duke of Edinburgh be posted from now on, as the Death thread and his former News/Events threads have been closed?

For those who missed it earlier, here is an infographic identifying the insignia chosen by the Duke of Edinburgh for display in the chapel. Essentially, they are his decorations from the Commonwealth, Greece and Denmark.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-personal-regalia-placed-altar-cushions.html

I understand that once when she was going to see him in hospital she had a card for him that was addressed to HRH P Philip or something formal like that... so I can't see her putting a pet name or "I love you", on a publicly seen card.... it wasn't his name for her particularly, it was the name her family called her...I think that she showed that her grief is something she keeps very private, the way she looked down all through the service...
I think that at the time of Diana's death, someone noted that she referred to her as "Diana", and that that was very rare for her to just use a family members name.. by her standards it was very informal..

That’s very likely because other people were going to see it...this was private and final. Her parents called her Lilibet, but no one else after except Philip. We’re just going to have to disagree...we’ll never know for sure, in any case.

I wonder why Princess Anne wore her medals and the Garter while even The Queen did not?

I have just finished watching the funeral on the Royal Family Youtube Channel. It was very poignant and beautiful from the military tribute and procession to the chapel service. I got emotional when I Vow to Thee My Country, Jerusalem and Nimrod were played, as well as A Lament, The Last Post and God Save the Queen. The singing from the Choir, (consisting of soprano Miriam Allan and lay clarks Tom Liliburn, Nick Madden and Simon Whiteley) were absolutely beautiful. I was moved especially by Psalm 104.

One of the memorable moments was Prince Philip's driving carriage with his two ponies (being comforted by two drivers), as well as his cap, coat, gloves, blanket and bottle (with red cap/lid) of sugar treats for the ponies. This was where Nimrod was played.

Last edited:
True. Though I do prefer British coverage always, I heard both Katie Nichol before the funeral and a BBC presenter/reporter after the funeral reference great-grandchildren being present of which of course there were none. I can only guess they were thinking of Lady Louise and James, Viscount Severn, but it's a surprising error.

I’ve just seen Katie Nichol’s error now going back to the part I missed yesterday. Shocked to see her making such an error after seeing her on so many Royal documentaries during lockdown.

That must have been Reeta, I was sure that was what she said but haven’t needed to go back to my recording as it’s all on YouTube to watch back. The BBC coverage on YouTube cuts off just before Reeta’s error as it was when the news started.

Edward being both the youngest child and the oldest when he became a parent himself (39; Charles was 33, Anne 27 and Andrew 28) does put Louise and James closer in age to their cousins once removed rather than their cousins, but in COVID times it was a surprising error. That they were seated with Edward and Sophie during the service should have made it obvious who they were.

Back
Top Bottom