The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is part of what I mean about being vulnerable. Her expectations of the Queen & DoE are daft but a police liaison officer could have visited her & explained how it's advisable for people in accidents not to contact each other & let the insurers sort it out. They also could have told her not to expect any contact from the DoE & strongly advised her not to speak to the media. It's a globally reported case involving the most famous family in the world so it's wrong to leave someone exposed like this, whether she's currently enjoying the limelight or not. The after-shock might cause her to make some poor decisions & she should be protected from that.

Her own quote in Muhler's post--
She says: “I was just advised not to speak to anyone...."

This poor woman, in her own words, said that she had a bad year and was more or less left without any money. It's of course pure caviar fot the British Tabloîds and their doubtful methods. Obviously she was offered a good amount of cash to tell her story, with of course, some over dramatic tones.
I'm not saying that Philip has not his faults in this case, very far from it, but we can all agree that this kind of interview depicting, of course, the senior royals as rude, aloof and out of touch (and with the sad face picture) was sadly expected.
And judging by the somewhat hopeless call (meant in a way to protect her) "I was just advised not to speak to anyone", the royals expected it too.
It's human nature. I bet there was some eye rolls at Sandringham...

Last edited:
A 97 year old, no matter how mentally astute he seems to be, should be driving, much less on a public road. This accident was the perfect time to say “No more driving”, not a time to give him a new car.
it is perfectly legal for someone of 97 to drive... according to some reports there are some people over 100 who are driving....

it is perfectly legal for someone of 97 to drive... according to some reports there are some people over 100 who are driving....

There are loads of people over 100 driving, there’s a show on television that’s dedicated to older drivers.

All those quotes seem to indicate Ms. Fairweather is enjoying the attention the media is giving her and is disappointed the accident didn't lead to a personal relationship with the BRF.

You’re right on point here. She’s clearly expecting that her news story will somehow foster her relationship with them.

It works both ways. Has there been any report on this woman actually asking how Philip is doing? Or was the limelight too bright?

Exactly! 5 minutes of fame can land her in a lot of trouble.

The woman who was interviewed was probably approached by the press rather than the other way around.

Yes they probably were, but that doesn’t mean she should talk. No comment would have sufficed. It’s not like she’s even gone big, is the Sunday Mirror.

I'll continue to be the devil's advocate here as there are others willing to defend the Duke and the BRF. ;)

Of course the media will exploit this to the fullest! It's a great story! Even the serious foreign papers write about it!
However, that does not mean that ms. Fairweather is a bad person, or even that she has (or ever will) profit a lot from this.
It's not that she can or will sue the BRF for say fourteen million Pounds. She is likely to be awarded a fairly modest compensation from her own or the insurance company of the BRF.

She has, as far as I understand, been quoted by the Mirror, Daily Mail and pretty much every other paper in Britain worth mentioning and unless she has given an exclusive, she has merely been talking to the press in general and answered their questions - to the best of her abilities...

All she has said is that she didn't understand how the accident could happen. (Sunlight in the eyes.) That makes her no worse than the average witness, who can hardly tell what day it is.
She said she was told and expected a call from the Palace, or at least a get-better card and she is disappointed she hasn't got any. - Well, so would I in her place. It's a gesture that IMO wouldn't influence any legal proceedings, especially considering who the Duke is.
Instead she got a phone call from the police, that she obviously didn't quite comprehend.

For all we know, this may be the first traffic accident she has been involved in all her life!

I just find it hard to vilify the motives of someone who may more likely be confused, naive or ignorant/inexperienced. - Otherwise that vast majority of us would be villains. ?

I don't want to get into Prince Philip's guilt (or lack thereof) and what he should (or should not) have done afterwards. It was, however, inevitable that the press would seize on this incident to cast the Royal Family in a bad light.

Last edited:
She has, as far as I understand, been quoted by the Mirror, Daily Mail and pretty much every other paper in Britain worth mentioning and unless she has given an exclusive, she has merely been talking to the press in general and answered their questions - to the best of her abilities...

Sunday Mirror took the exclusive, and others have quoted I understand.

What I don’t understand in all of this, is why has she gone to the press? For what reason other than her minute in the sun. As others have said, including yourself, that she may get compensation from a solicitor so it’s doesn’t have to be about the money.

If I was the passenger, I would be keeping quiet and recovering at home before getting on with my life.

As she wasn’t driving and it wasn’t her vehicle, she has no reason to go through insurance companies.

Senior members of the royal household have attempted to contact the driver and passenger involved in Thursday’s crash to deliver good wishes from the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, a source said. They attempted to make contact over the weekend but have so far been unsuccessful.

A police liaison officer made contact with the driver and passenger on Friday to deliver a message from the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Good wishes were returned.

Last edited:
I don't want to get into Prince Philip's guilt (or lack thereof) and what he should (or should not) have done afterwards. It was, however, inevitable that the press would seize on this incident to cast the Royal Family in a bad light.

Absolutely!

Sunday Mirror took the exclusive, and others have quoted I understand.

What I don’t understand in all of this, is why has she gone to the press? For what reason other than her minute in the sun. As others have said, including yourself, that she may get compensation from a solicitor so it’s doesn’t have to be about the money.

If I was the passenger, I would be keeping quiet and recovering at home before getting on with my life.

As she wasn’t driving and it wasn’t her vehicle, she has no reason to go through insurance companies.

Thanks, an exclusive it is then. :flowers:

Like said before she seem to me, to not being herself, still pretty shook up or simply naive - you pick.
And all of a sudden someone is knocking on your door and asking you what happened. It sure is such a nice person and he/she offer all the sympathy you need - and there is a little contract here he/she would like you to sign. After all you can use the money, having a broken wrist (or was it a hand, whatever.)
And the next moment you find yourself in the papers.

A lot and also more smart people than her have fallen for that - otherwise there would be no Nigeria-letters... :D

Lots of *assumptions* here and not a lot of *facts*. It sure would of been great PR for the BRF if they had done a better job of handing this then what they are currently doing. What is so *wrong* with someone from the BRF actually talking to this lady, giving her advice and being kind and caring? Showing some decency and compassion would go a long way with the public instead of hiding behind palace walls, haven't they learned that lesson yet about hiding behind the walls of BP/KP? So many are ready to crucify this woman, she was driving on a public road and someone regardless of who it was pulled out in front of her ..........regardless of the sun or not, someone pulled out in front of her and there was an accident.......is the Duke above the law just because he is married to HM or that he is a Duke? Are royals anywhere above laws that are for all the people or just some of them?

I just do not get this one sided idea that Philip did not wrong here, it was a public road he was pulling on to ......no seat belt and again the next day he is out driving without a seat belt.........good grief the man is so arrogant and thinks of no one but himself..........boy did he put his foot in the muck!

This will not go down good for the BRF if they don't show some compassion for all the people, not just themselves.

Did she go to the press or did they go to her? It's highly likely the latter.

We all say that we didn't talk to the press's after an accident but did you have a chance? Unless your accident is a major news story, you usually don't have reporters knocking down your door.

I have been in two major accidents in my life. And how I reacted was very different in each case. Situations are always different. The last the woman ran a red light and slammed into me. I was in shock, the off duty cop who was a witness had to get me out and get my car as best as he could off the side. The lady admitted she was running late for a massage. I can admit a few days later when the shock wore off, I was pissed that my car was written off, and I missed three days of work due to serious whip lash because she was running late.

The first time I was still a nanny before I went into nursing. I had dropped one of the kids off at preschool and was stopped at a pedestrian crossing. A lady slammed into me going 60km an hour as she was on her cell phone and didn't notice we were stopped. She got out of her car but didn't even bother coming to see if we were okay. She was busy on her cell phone talking to insurance. The bus that was next to me, the driver and a few passengers got out to check on me and the little girl I had in my car.

The woman came over eventually and I admit it I lost it. She didn't apologize or ask how we were. She could see I had a kid in the back seat. It takes a lot to get me to lose my cool but that did it. If the media had called me, I probably would have let the woman and her lack of concern for us, have it in the paper.

And no it doesn't have to be your own kid to be upset. The passenger has every right to be just upset about her friends 10 month old.

There is no issue with Philip driving at 97 if he is still medically passed. But he needs to be wearing seat belts. Thus isn't driving on private land where he doesn't have to worry about other cars. Or some of the public events where we see royals without them, which bothers me still, but where traffic is controlled.

Last edited:
Her own quote in Muhler's post--
She says: “I was just advised not to speak to anyone...."

You missed out the important bit.
"I was just advised not to speak to anyone and told to expect a call from the Palace yesterday."

So she didn't speak to anyone but then she didn't get a call from "the Palace" & now she feels let down. She only spoke to the press after this & she probably wouldn't have if she'd had a visit from the police and been given the advice & support required after being injured in a car crash with the Queen's husband, which is being reported globally & daily across all media.

"I was just advised not to speak to anyone and told to expect a call from the Palace yesterday."

So she didn't speak to anyone but then she didn't get a call from "the Palace" & now she feels let down. She only spoke to the press after this & she probably wouldn't have if she'd had a visit from the police and been given the advice & support required after being injured in a car crash with the Queen's husband, which is being reported globally & daily across all media.

if she was advised not to speak to anyone I presume that meant don't speak to the Media...

Interesting wording to say the least. Perhaps its nitpicking but did she state exactly what she had been told? Did she mistakenly say "palace"? Last I've heard, Sandringham (where the Queen and Philip are in residence) is not a palace. Perhaps by "palace" it was meant that someone from the royal household or the palace team of legal eagles would be in touch with them and she mistakenly took it to mean either the Queen or the DoE?

Reading through a couple of media reports on the accident, I've seen this posted. "A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “A full message of support was sent to both the driver and the passenger.”

We're going in circles here and picking this apart bone by bone and I'm guilty of it as well. Royal watching at its best (or worse). ?

She presumably meant Palace in the sense of the Royal family/organisation.. She probably thought that a lady in waiting or some staff member would call her up and then put the queen on the Phone...

So? There is absolutely no evidence thus far that Philip’s age was the cause of this accident. Sun glare that could and would have affected anyone may have been the main factor with the speed limit being so high on the road the Kia was traveling being another factor- based on previous accidents there.

I didn’t say anything about his age. Folks gotta understand it’s tone deaf to be even seen driving around without a seatbelt after such a horrible crash. Then, The Queen was seen not wearing one and then decided to put it on after a little nescessary noise was made about her not wearing one. After one family member died without having a seatbelt on, the royal family should be the very last ones seen not wearing one when driving.

Look, there may be an investigation underway, but, this whole thing could’ve been handled better. Everyone should be thankful that this crash wasn’t worse because, the royal family and nation could’ve been in mourning or the families of the two ladies and baby could’ve been in mourning.

:previous:

Absolutely and totally agree with you Dman, you make perfect sense here and given that the Duke is now driving without a seat belt shows he total disregard for everyone else but him......what arrogance he has is beyond belief now!

Lots of *assumptions* here and not a lot of *facts*. It sure would of been great PR for the BRF if they had done a better job of handing this then what they are currently doing. What is so *wrong* with someone from the BRF actually talking to this lady, giving her advice and being kind and caring? Showing some decency and compassion would go a long way with the public instead of hiding behind palace walls, haven't they learned that lesson yet about hiding behind the walls of BP/KP? So many are ready to crucify this woman, she was driving on a public road and someone regardless of who it was pulled out in front of her ..........regardless of the sun or not, someone pulled out in front of her and there was an accident.......
She was NOT driving. She was a passenger in the car. Unfortunately, she ended up with a broken wrist. Why does she need to talk to the press while the actual driver does not feel that need (and might even be upset that her friend is 'using' this situation for her own fame or to get money out of it)? As I expressed before, I hope she has help of her friends and family as that seems what she needs most in this unreal situation.

is the Duke above the law just because he is married to HM or that he is a Duke? Are royals anywhere above laws that are for all the people or just some of them?

I just do not get this one sided idea that Philip did not wrong here, it was a public road he was pulling on to ......no seat belt and again the next day he is out driving without a seat belt.........good grief the man is so arrogant and thinks of no one but himself..........boy did he put his foot in the muck!

This will not go down good for the BRF if they don't show some compassion for all the people, not just themselves.

I don't think anyone is saying that Philip was not in the wrong. Many have pointed out that we don't know exactly how the accident happened. I think even most people would say that Philip was more likely in the wrong than the woman who was driving the other car- although for now, we don't know for sure. Many also pointed out that it was not wise (euphemism) to be driving without a (visible) seat belt and that the law should apply to the royal family equally. So, I'm not sure how you get such a black and white picture that Phillip is above the law and can do no wrong. It's not that by questioning this lady's motives, the prince is excused from his wrongdoings.

Last edited:
I would expect more considerate and courteous behavior from a member of the royal family than I would from a member of the general public. It would have cost (virtually) nothing and would have reflected favorably on the Duke.

And once a person that age has had a driving accident, it’s almost inevitable that another will follow. A 97 year old’s driving skills will not improve. If the Duke should, heaven forbid, have another accident, will his defenders feel the same way?*

The last accident I had was about 25 years ago. I was stopped, signalling for a turn, and a car slammed into the rear of mine. The other driver and I both got out of our cars, and she ran toward me weeping and saying I’m sorry, I’m sorry. We hugged, and she wept in my arms.

*This accident could have been deadly. A T-bone crash frequently is.

Last edited:
:previous:Somebody

Regardless she was in the car, it was not just the driver in the car period. And not for one minute do I think she ran out and contacted the tabloids, they came to her........they ask questions and she answered. Be it right or wrong is not the question for she can decide to talk or not talk to the media. And why should she not answer the questions? Is there a law that says you have to be quiet about an accident when involved in one?

Just because someone answers the questions from the media should she be accused of wanting money? And how do you know she is asking for money? Is it stated here that she has a lawsuit asking for money? Please show it to me so I can read it....
You were the one who kept referring to her as the driver. I do think it is different if you are the driver or the passenger - as the driver will have the additional question pondering in her head whether she could have avoided it. The passenger might have a sense of powerlessness but guilt is likely not in question.

Of course, the passenger is free to talk to the media. However, the consequence is that people will read her words and form an opinion both about the accident and about her. It is very likely (but not proven - I never presented it as a fact but as an option) that she was offered money to talk. If she cannot handle it (and yes, she might not have understood what she got herself into), she shouldn't talk to the tabloids - just like her friend the driver decided not to share her story while she surely was also approached by the media.

She had a choice about how to react to an accident like this one that luckily turned out quite well for everyone involved looking at the type of accident it was. I fully understand the situation must be unreal for her and I, among others, think that she is not handling it the best way but that's not to say that she isn't allowed to do so. Just that it is unwise.

Just about everyone is trying to hang this all on her, she is the guilty one for talking to the media that came to her....so one sided opinions all over social media and forums.......look at both sides of this not just the royal side ...

I did the same as Philip a long time ago, I pulled out in front of someone and got them and me creamed in a bad accident..and boy did I pay the piper. PP is damn lucky there was no deaths and that the child was only scared.........he should be thanking his higher power for that!
That's exactly what we're doing. I don't read social media, so I don't know what is said there (and I think it's irrelevant for this discussion). But on this forum, so far I have seen people questioning how both Philip (and the royal family) and the passenger deal with the aftermath of the accident. The only one who isn't really questioned seems to be the driver.

It is interesting how she states that the duke should be treated as anybody else but that she clearly is NOT treating him like anybody else... And, if true, she is indeed after money. Would she have done exactly the same if it was a different senior citizen? And, what if the investigation shows that it was her friend who was in the wrong?

@Somebody - she should have waited until the results of the investigation. This announcement looks like "pay up or I will drag you through the mud in court".

“...that luckily turned out quite well for everyone involved...” Not really. One totaled car, and one severely damaged...one broken wrist which may prevent the passenger from working...one traumatized driver and baby.

Incidentally, it’s hard to believe the Duke wasn’t injured if he was not wearing his seat belt- he could have been thrown from the car. (And that is how you can injure others if not wearing a seat belt. You can land on someone else’s car, or you can land in the roadway, leading to another crash when someone swerves in order to miss hitting you.)

:previous:

Absolutely and totally agree with you Dman, you make perfect sense here and given that the Duke is now driving without a seat belt shows he total disregard for everyone else but him......what arrogance he has is beyond belief now!

Newsflash : Royals are not perfect !
Yes the Duke is an arrogant and stubborn 97 years old man who probably terrorise his entourage and does't give a damn about the average Joe's opinion.
We are still dreaming a perfect royal family with stellar values, common touch and empathy. But let's face it these people are not like ordinary mortals, for them rules are different. Period.

I think the lady in the car symbolizes all the royal watchers who expected a "let's have some nice and cosy tea with us at Sandringham to forget all about this story". Knowing the Windsors, i mean really ? Nope, it doesn't work like this, especially for the Duke. And seeing him parading the next day with a brand new car and without a seatbelt was clearly a huge and royal middle finger pointed at all the PC in the world.
I think he's a badass, really, albeit now a dangerous one clearly in a loose cannon mode.
But again, why people seem so surprised ?

“...that luckily turned out quite well for everyone involved...” Not really. One totaled car, and one severely damaged...one broken wrist which may prevent the passenger from working...one traumatized driver and baby.

Compared to the impact of the crash, yes, it turned out quite well. Nobody is in the hospital or died. I don't know anything about a traumatized driver or baby either. Of course, a broken wrist is painful and other minor injuries can also be real hindrances, but will hopefully all heal with time. Again, compared to the type of accident it could have been MUCH worse.

And cars can be replaced, lives cannot, and some accident might not be deadly but cause long term impacts in the lives of those involved and so far, that doesn't seem to be the case this time. Which is very fortunate as that wasn't a given.

Incidentally, it’s hard to believe the Duke wasn’t injured if he was not wearing his seat belt- he could have been thrown from the car. (And that is how you can injure others if not wearing a seat belt. You can land on someone else’s car, or you can land in the roadway, leading to another crash when someone swerves in order to miss hitting you.)
As I pointed out previously, it has been said that the airbag worked, so that would suggest that he was wearing a seat belt. Or at least, the seat belt was fastened. And if he indeed wasn't (I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case), again, things could have been much worse and turned out quite well... (as far as is currently known)

Thanks. :flowers:

The key words in that article are:
Having recently started a new job as a support worker, the newspaper, said, she is “now considering a personal injury claim after being told she could face two months off work”.

No direct quote, so it could, repeat could, smell like the answer to a leading question.
The question I ask myself, would I sue for damages in her place?
The answer is: Almost certainly.

Keep in mind that the police has not yet submitted a report about who, if any, was responsible for the accident. So the good ms. Fairweather could face the decision of whether she should sue her friend.
- But that is of course not mentioned in the article... That's not a good angle on the story. ;)

I made a personal injury claim after my accident too. It's what lots of people do to recompense them for loss of earnings, extra expenses incurred eg taxis if you can't drive etc.

@Somebody
The man who caused my crash was a senior citizen and I'd have made my claim whoever it was. I think it was his insurance company who paid out and not him personally.

Back
Top Bottom