The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it surprising the others in the accident weren't included in the Archbishop's prayers and the news is not make much mention of their wellbeing beyond saying minor injuries. I think it's shortsighted for both the palace and the archbishop not to pay attention to everyone involved.

I found it surprising and off-putting, too, to be honest.

I guess he will stop driving now, even in private areas.
While the Duke may wish to drive on, even after this scare, I doubt very much he would wish t be a risk to others. So I think he won't sit behind a wheel from now on.
97 and still driving is impressive! Most lose their license ten or twenty years prior to that.

:previous: I hope he reconsiders driving, but we'll see, I suppose. Personally, I have a lot of respect for people who voluntarily choose not to drive past a certain point. My father gave up his license when he was in his 80's because although he hadn't had any accidents, he couldn't bear the thought that he might injure someone else, and he was very aware that his reflexes were simply not as good as they had been when he was younger.

I am a big fan of His Royal Highness and with his good health and fitness I would like to see him around for a good while yet.
So the question is -- Who is going to give him the riot act/bollocking that he may need to accept all the help that is available to him. I don't think the softly softly approach will work with Philip. The whole family will be a bit shaken up by this.
His policeman should have driven. It is not like he has the experience that many of the rest of us have of driving most days in traffic and long distances.
Most of his driving has been on private estates. And I think he is perfectly capable of keeping on driving on the estates. But busy public highways he should give over to his policeman.
I agree with all of you that shock will probably set in. I understand him being a proud man and having the independence to drive himself is important to him.
The other people had minor injuries thankfully.
It doesn't matter to me who was at fault. The point is there was bad judgement made on this night, that possibly a younger man might not have made.

And I think he is perfectly capable of keeping on driving on the estates. But busy public highways he should give over to his policeman.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing here, just mentioning that Philip was driving from one private estate to another this afternoon. He had to cross a public section of road to do that, that is believed to have been the cause of the accident pulling out onto a road without due care and attention to oncoming traffic.

:previous: I hope he reconsiders driving, but we'll see, I suppose. Personally, I have a lot of respect for people who voluntarily choose not to drive past a certain point. My father gave up his license when he was in his 80's because although he hadn't had any accidents, he couldn't bear the thought that he might injure someone else, and he was very aware that his reflexes were simply not as good as they had been when he was younger.

My Dad was the same a very proud man, but he knew when it was time to surrender his license before he caused an accident.
Then of course he had daughters who had to drop everything to run him around. :cool:bang:

I am not agreeing or disagreeing here, just mentioning that Philip was driving from one private estate to another this afternoon. He had to cross a public section of road to do that, that is believed to have been the cause of the accident pulling out onto a road without due care and attention to oncoming traffic.

There you go, without due care and attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt Philip drives long distances on public roads, it seems he was crossing a public road from one part of a private estate to another so driving a mile, getting out to let the policeman cross the junction then swapping back again would seem a little daft. A lot of people are saying it is a very busy road with lots of accidents, apparently the council are even meant to be discussing tomorrow whether average speed cameras should be placed along the road to help slow down the traffic.
Yes driving at Philip's age is perhaps an added risk but it sounds like this could have happened to anyone else.

That’s what I hear about what happens after an accident. In some cases, the effects of a crash don’t show up until later. I’m sure he’ll be monitored.

Very true. I was recently in a car crash but didn't discover until the following day that I had a broken arm.

I don't think anyone over the age of 80 should drive, unless they can pass a yearly test.
Age does take its toll.

Philip really has no excuse, because he will have no trouble finding other means of transportation.

I am so glad that Prince Philip is okay, though shock might set in within the next few hours. Perhaps, with his 98th birthday this year it's time for him to bow to the inevitable and stop driving altogether, though I doubt he will.

There you go, without due care and attention.

I put that because that is what I assume was the cause, anyone that pulls out into oncoming traffic without checking to see if it's clear is not paying due care and attention. I have it happen to be at least 3 or 4 times a day, and I can tell you the people who are doing it aren't 97.

It's been noted that the accident happened on a road with several blindspots, and is known as a bit of a black spot. It could well be the driver of the other car with driving too fast for the road, Philip believing he was safe to pull out, did so.

Frankly I don't think it's something we're ever going to know, and I don't think we should for the sake of the other people involved in the accident.

Time for the kids to take the keys away from Dad. Been there, done that, and it’s not easy.

Unlike most elderly drivers, he ALWAYS has someone to drive him.

Last edited:

He could look at his imperial majesty the emperor of Japan who did not renew his license (a decision he made two years ago when he renewed his for another two years but deciding it was the final time he did so) for an example in royal circles and it doesn't get higher in rank ?.

:previous: Yes, I thought the Emperor was admirable for doing that, because he certainly valued the freedom that represented.

I am a big fan of His Royal Highness and with his good health and fitness I would like to see him around for a good while yet.
So the question is -- Who is going to give him the riot act/bollocking that he may need to accept all the help that is available to him.

The Queen or the Princess Royal i’d imagine. The only people in the family with the tits for it. (Side note: You need to listen to the Lily Allen “hard out here” song to get the jokes just made).

Last edited:
Thank goodness Prince Philip is okay. Hopefully he will continue to drive.

Two women were in the other car, a Kia. The driver suffered cuts while the passenger received an arm injury - both needed hospital treatment. They have since been released.

The Duke of Edinburgh and the other driver were breathalysed at the scene, both tested negative. The DOE has a driving license and follows all DVLA processes.

He wasn't driving 'from one private estate to another'. He was driving on the Sandringham estate that due to its size and location has both private and public roads. This estate includes a couple of actual villages and a number of homes such as Wood Farm and Anmer Hall.

I put that because that is what I assume was the cause, anyone that pulls out into oncoming traffic without checking to see if it's clear is not paying due care and attention. I have it happen to be at least 3 or 4 times a day, and I can tell you the people who are doing it aren't 97.

It's been noted that the accident happened on a road with several blindspots, and is known as a bit of a black spot. It could well be the driver of the other car with driving too fast for the road, Philip believing he was safe to pull out, did so.

Frankly I don't think it's something we're ever going to know, and I don't think we should for the sake of the other people involved in the accident.

As the police were called, people went to hospital for treatment and both drivers were breathalysed at the scene there will, no doubt, be a report into the accident, which will be on the public record. There may even be a court case to come out of this due to the injuries involved so we will find out who was at fault, eventually but it may take a couple of years for any such case to come to trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Norfolk Police have released the following statement:
Sandringham collision statement
Norfolk Police can confirm officers attended a collision on the A149 at Sandringham today (Thursday 17 January 2019).

Officers were called to the scene shortly before 3pm after a Landrover and Kia were involved in a collision.

The male driver of the Landrover was uninjured. The female driver of the Kia suffered cuts while the female passenger sustained an arm injury, both requiring hospital treatment.

We can confirm both casualties from the Kia have been treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn and have since been discharged.

The road remained open and both vehicles were recovered a short time later.

It is force policy to breath test drivers involved in collisions. We can confirm both drivers were breath tested and provided negative readings.

https://www.norfolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/17-01-2019/sandringham-collision-statement

As the police were called, people went to hospital for treatment and both drivers were breathalysed at the scene there will, no doubt, be a report into the accident, which will be on the public record. There may even be a court case to come out of this due to the injuries involved so we will find out who was at fault, eventually but it may take a couple of years for any such case to come to trial.

All drivers are required to be breathalysed at the scene of an accident if injury is caused, thats standard. I somehow doubt there will be a court case.

He wasn't driving 'from one private estate to another'. He was driving on the Sandringham estate that due to its size and location has both private and public roads. This estate includes a couple of actual villages and a number of homes such as Wood Farm and Anmer Hall.

My apologies, he was driving from one private road to another.

Also, i'm sure you're aware there is a "" button on all posts, that allows you quote more than one post in the same response. This prevents threads from getting clogged.

Last edited:

Are you saying the Duke was also breathalyzed ? That must have been awkward.

Although I agree that a 97-year-old should not drive, I also think we should not immediately rush to the conclusion that the accident was caused by the Duke's old age. Lots of young people are involved in car accidents for multiple different reasons. Without knowing the facts, we are in no position to assign a cause to what happened.

At this age unfortunately there must have been minor injuries and some only appear hours later. I think at the age he already has he should not drive.

I agre. The fact that he was able to walk away unscathed proves what a tough old guy HRH is for sure...but a 97 year old should not be driving anymore imo.:sad:

Are you saying the Duke was also breathalyzed ? That must have been awkward.

As per the law, yes both parties involved in the accident were breathalysed.

He might want a good stiff drink after he gets home. Surely they will have a nurse to keep an eye on his blood pressure/ heart rate for a day or so. And won't he hate the fuss.

If that part of the road is a blind spot and there have been previous accidents there, then if they can't straighten the road, possibly traffic lights might be a good idea, or a reduction in speed limit for the corner to past the entry of private road.

It was a serious accident. I would be surprised if there’s not major advice for the Duke to give up personally driving himself or driving without a protection officer in the car with him and one driving behind him.

The Duke is a legend but i doubt he's the kind of man who listens very much his entourage and/or family and likes to be told what he has to do.
I guess it's a warning call, but in a classic Philip's way it will propably be "at 97, why bother ? Just' go with it".

I doubt very much that Prince Philip came out of that accident physically unscathed. It sounds as though he avoided any significant injury, thank goodness, but any time airbags and other passive restraint systems deploy, there are physical effects on the driver and passengers. At a minimum, he is going to be sore/stiff for several days, and if he is less lucky, there may be other effects that show up over time.
You're absolutely right. I was in a car accident a few years ago. Even though I lived and didn't have any major injuries, I suffered a burnt injury on my shoulder because of the belt. I also hit with my head and my foreheard was swollen. Because of the adrenaline, I was physically okay except for those injuries, however, a few days later I had lots of sore pains everywhere, my muscles hurt so much. I couldn't even sit on the toilet, and I won't forget how embarrasing that was to me to ask for others to help me undress. I'm pretty sure that he will feel pain in the next couple of days. But I'm glad he survived.

Last edited:
One have to worry about his old bones and both his hip replacements. He’s likely to feel something later. I mean, the mans car flipped over. He didn’t just bump a bumper.

I have to say I find interesting that so many people are saying he should have his license taken away. For all we know the other driver may have been driving erratically too fast etc. If, god forbid, William or Harry or Andrew or Anne were to have an accident would people say they should have their license taken off them?

Interestingly this old BBC article as the facts:
The RAC Foundation says the UK's oldest licensed driver is a 107-year-old woman, and there are 191 people over the age of 100 with a licence. They are among 4,018,900 people aged over 70 with full UK driving licences.

But how dangerous are older drivers?

The Department for Transport (DfT) says there is no evidence older drivers are more likely to cause an accident, and it has no plans to restrict licensing or mandate extra training on the basis of age.

Though it does point out that:
But although both charities believe older drivers are as safe as any other driver, there are some exceptions.

"In key locations such as high-speed junctions, high-speed roundabouts and slip roads onto motorways and dual carriageways - locations where drivers are required to look around quickly and make quick decisions - some drivers over the age of 70 struggle," says Greig.

"Everywhere else - in towns, the countryside, the overtaking manoeuvre - they are as good as anybody else."

The DM ( I know!) has some additional "facts" about the crash

It is believed that Philip's Land Rover was heading out of a private estate road on the western side of the A149 when he was hit.

Villagers believe that he was trying to ross the road to get on to the B1349 which leads back to Sandringham House.

His car had apparently crossed one side of the road when it was hit on its passenger side by the Kia which is thought to have been travelling south.

The impact spun his car around into the path of traffic heading north and turned it over in a layby on the western side of the road.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6604071/Duke-Edinburgh-involved-road-crash.html

The dangers of the 60mph road where the Duke of Edinburgh crashed are to be discussed by Norfolk county councillors today.

The A149 is an accident blackspot – with the high speed limit and the road’s design blamed for a series of crashes, some of them fatal.

In the six years to May 2018 there were 40 injury accidents on the A149, five of which resulted in deaths.

County council officers, who blame speeding motorists, are proposing to install speed cameras.

But Sandringham Parish Council chairman Ben Colson said local councillors believe that junction designs are to blame.

‘It has a bad accident record,’ he said last night. ‘There are conflicting views as to what the causes of that are.

‘My personal view is that the high accident rate in the area generally arises from the junction design more than it does from speeds because often the roads are heavily congested and it’s impossible to do 60mph anyway.’

Mr Colson said the 15-miles between King’s Lynn and Hunstanton was the most dangerous stretch of the road.

Describing the spot where Prince Philip’s car overturned, he added: ‘At that point, as you’re coming north from the King’s Lynn direction, you’re coming from a wider stretch of road on to a narrower stretch. It’s a dangerous stretch of road.’

Last edited:
It's good that there were no fatalities but this is far from over. Two people were injured. The lawyers will be coming out soon and no doubt the royals do not want this playing out in courts of law and public opinion.

I know this accident must’ve scared the shortcake out of the family. Given their experiences with events like this and his age.

Back
Top Bottom