The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Yes despite the palace claiming that Philip was in contact with them one of the women has said it's not true and that they haven't even had so much as an apology.
An apology can be taken as an admission of fault. In Queensland there are Acts of Parliament that specify an apology cannot be taken an admission of fault. No reason though why there cannot be a call to ask how the other person is.

I think there are a number of studies that show the largest group that are involved in motor vehicle accidents are young men. Are the critics suggesting they shouldnít be allowed to drive. If an older person (any older person) satisfies the DVLC that they are a safe driver then I donít see why they should not be able to. I know the Queen doesnít have a licence but I think (a) she should and (b) this retesting should also apply to her.

Iíve said before, I think itís bad for for members of the Royal Family not to wear seat belts even when driving on private land. If the Queen wears a lap belt then the Palace should point that out, instead every engagement the Queen turns up to it looks as if she isnít wearing a seat belt - whether she is she isnít it sets a bad example and looks as if the Royal Family are saying ďthe law doesnt apply to usĒ. I was also not crazy at photos last year (I think it was) showing Viscount Severn behind the wheel of a car on the private estate.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The woman in the car basically said the royals have ignored her. This is such a bad look and Philip out here driving without his seat belt on. My goodness.

https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1086745790075281410

This cover story is so bad. They need to get ahead of this because right now their PR seems lost.
Honestly, not that surprising IMO

Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
My car was once hit by a car that blew through a stop sign at a minimum 45mph--because the sun was in his eyes. That driver was 17 or 18 years old. I had my 14 month old daughter in the car. My seat belt and her car seat saved us from any serious injuries. Should that young man have lost his license because he failed to see the stop sign and a baby was in the car he hit?

My brother's best friend's mother was killed in a car accident because of sun glare-none of the three drivers involved was elderly.

That same accident may have happened with sun glare even if the driver were 27 rather than 97, especially since it is a known dangerous section of road with many serious accidents.

They did change something-they voted to reduce the speed limit that they'd been thinking about for while but the high profile of Prince Philip made it finally happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Re: the DoE driving today - I think there's possibly an issue of humility & taste. I accept he was dazzled by the low sun but he caused a serious accident that could easily have killed people. Those people have been through hell & it must be galling to see pics of the DoE out driving his other Freelander today. When I had my crash (caused by someone else who was convicted) I had my children in the back & it was weeks before I could get behind the wheel again. I was given a temporary replacement car by my insurance company but I felt sick every time I drove anywhere & was fearful whenever my children were in anyone else's car.

Maybe I'm just being over sensitive because I've been through it but I think it would have been better for the DoE to keep a low profile until after the police investigation into whether he'll be charged with an offence. If he wants to drive, he has private roads out of sight.
Perhaps Prince Philip felt if he didn't get behind the wheel pretty quickly, he may never drive again. I am sure if it was obvious to the Police that Prince Philip had been negligent they would have taken his licence, issued a summons and we'd all see what happens in court. But they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The woman in the car basically said the royals have ignored her. This is such a bad look and Philip out here driving without his seat belt on. My goodness.

https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1086745790075281410

This cover story is so bad. They need to get ahead of this because right now their PR seems lost.
The first report said he walked over and asked if everyone was alright. Now the other driver is headlining in every paper and Philip is a monster. Worse, other gutless wonders are coming forward and saying hit either hit them or nearly hit them. But, they never reported it.

It is bad optics . . . the only thing the uninformed mob is missing is its pitchforks!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philip and The Queen can help calm things down by inviting the two ladies and baby that was in the crash to Sandringham to help wish them well and express some face to face sympathy over what happened. A few photos would help too. Also, they could invite Mr. Warne to express an official thanks for pulling Prince Philip out of the car.

The royals and Palace officials need to start using their brains now.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

They just need to get ahead of it. I am not surprised the woman is talking because the press are in her face making it easy. Prince Philip driving around without a seatbelt and being talked to by the police is not helping matters either. The whole things is a bit of a mess.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Prince Philip and The Queen can help calm things down by inviting the two ladies and baby that was in the crash to Sandringham to help wish them well and express some face to face sympathy over what happened.
They shouldn't do this. Now these women try to receive more money or put blame solely on Philip.
All contacts should be after court's decision.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am just amazed that a Kia could t-bone an armoured Freelander so hard it spun and rolled over twice. It sounds crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I've wondered the same thing about the speed limit. Especially after reading in "Our Queen" about how Philip has posted the speed limit for the Sandringham estate at 38 kph (23.6121 MPH. Yes, I had to look it up). Then again, that might not apply to any public road that runs through the estate.

That Kia had to be clipping along the road at a pretty good pace to impact that Freelander so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Instead of telling Philip no longer to drive, his car from Balmoral was driven to Sandringham the following day so he was able to drive again asap.
Unfortunate that heís been enabled to continue on as if thereís no need to pause and consider whether allowing him to continue to drive is a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We do not know who caused the accident. The car Philip was driving was probably reinforced so for it to be flipped over means that there was an element of force used against it. That force is usually caused by speed.
Letís not ignore basic physics as we conjecture about what caused this crash. SUVs have a higher rate of rollover crashes (including solo rollover crashes) than sedans because of their higher center of gravity, thus the Kiaís speed is likely far less significant than the fact that the Kia was a smaller vehicle and hit the SUV lower down. SUV Rollover Risks Phillip is very lucky he pulled in front of a light weight Kia - if it had been a heavier, larger, vehicle the consequences to him could have been far worse.
Phillip said the sun glare blinded him - suggesting that he simply did not see the Kia traveling on the public road that he pulled in front of, rather than that he saw the Kia but miscalculated how fast it was going.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
They shouldn't do this. Now these women try to receive more money or put blame solely on Philip.
All contacts should be after court's decision.
I agree with this. From a legal stand point the last thing they should be doing is interacting with these women.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Palace officials are digging themselves in a hole here. At first, it was made to seem like Prince Philip personally reached out to the ladies and wished them well. As it turns out, that’s not what happened at all. A police family liaison called her.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
An apology can be taken as an admission of fault. In Queensland there are Acts of Parliament that specify an apology cannot be taken an admission of fault. No reason though why there cannot be a call to ask how the other person is.
That's what I was thinking to. She even says that she understood he was advised not to apologize. And furthermore she shares that they did see Philip's car and as far as we now know Philip didn't see them. So, while he should have seen them, they did see but thought he would stop and braked too late.

Moreover, there was a call by a policy family liaison officer. I assume the BRF referred to that call but it seems the message was conveyed quite messy. A personal call would have been nice but I don't think she would necessarily have expected that if they had run into another car.

Quote:
I think there are a number of studies that show the largest group that are involved in motor vehicle accidents are young men. Are the critics suggesting they shouldnít be allowed to drive. If an older person (any older person) satisfies the DVLC that they are a safe driver then I donít see why they should not be able to. I know the Queen doesnít have a licence but I think (a) she should and (b) this retesting should also apply to her.

Iíve said before, I think itís bad for for members of the Royal Family not to wear seat belts even when driving on private land. If the Queen wears a lap belt then the Palace should point that out, instead every engagement the Queen turns up to it looks as if she isnít wearing a seat belt - whether she is she isnít it sets a bad example and looks as if the Royal Family are saying ďthe law doesnt apply to usĒ. I was also not crazy at photos last year (I think it was) showing Viscount Severn behind the wheel of a car on the private estate.
I fully agree with all of the above.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

It is just wrong. He shouldn't be driving at all and I haven't felt so angry for a long time. Other people have put it more eloquently but we're talking people's lives and what could have been a more serious incident. It's a wake up call that he and those that surround him need to hear - time to stop driving!!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

The whole thing seems to being handled badly and to have him being seen driving again and without a seatbelt has made things worse.

Y’all know Prince Philip was very close to killing himself or the other party in the next car, right? This is bad.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

This is all remarkably tone-deaf on the royal family's part. Either Philip doesn't give a flying fig for public opinion (what I suspect) and/or no one was able to make him see reason. It's not so much the driving again so quickly, although the optics of that are questionable, as it is the driving again so quickly without a PPO, and without a seatbelt. The combination just screams arrogance and lack of concern for anyone's opinion or convenience except his own. That may not be the way he feels, but it's certainly the impression that is being given.

I'm really surprised that the palace PR haven't done a better job managing this, and I'm disappointed in the overall impression Philip is giving. Being the crusty and irreverent consort is all well and good, but being an arrogant horse's patootie is not.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

My car shrieks like a banshee if the seat belt isn't fastened.
Is this not the case in the UK?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
My car shrieks like a banshee if the seat belt isn't fastened.
Is this not the case in the UK?
I know, right? I suspect it is the same in the UK but maybe he had his alarm disconnected or maybe he does like some people here and fastens the belt before he sits down so it's behind him instead of around him.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
This is all remarkably tone-deaf on the royal family's part. Either Philip doesn't give a flying fig for public opinion (what I suspect) and/or no one was able to make him see reason. It's not so much the driving again so quickly, although the optics of that are questionable, as it is the driving again so quickly without a PPO, and without a seatbelt. The combination just screams arrogance and lack of concern for anyone's opinion or convenience except his own. That may not be the way he feels, but it's certainly the impression that is being given.
I do understand the driving again quickly. It's an advice that's been given quite regularly, to do whatever it was that ended badly (whether it be falling of a horse or having an accident) sooner rather than later as in that way that initial fear is gone. In this case, it would have been much wiser had the prince wanted to heed that advice to do so on his own grounds (as he has plenty, unlike the rest of us).

Other than that, yes, it seems that he doesn't care about public opinion at all - hopefully he does care about the safety of others when deciding on whether it is responsible to be behind the wheel or not. I wonder what his wife, children and grandchildren think of all of this...
Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The whole thing seems to being handled badly and to have him being seen driving again and without a seatbelt has made things worse.

Yíall know Prince Philip was very close to killing himself or the other party in the next car, right? This is bad.
I donít envy the householdís task this week.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Royal Highness

This is becoming a mess that Olivia Pope from Scandal couldn't "handle". And the police didn't acquit itself by letting Philip off with a warning. And when the results of the investigation are published - and it clears Philip - will the public have confidence in the findings or will it believe the royals leaned on the police to exonerate him?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:21 PM
Nobility

Any chance this women had of being reached out to ended when she posed for a magazine literally holding up a cast to the camera lens, wiping away (invisible) tears from her eyes, and telling a sob story about her divorce. "Ignored and rejected?" Poppycock.

Anyone who has been in a car accident can surely relate to the horror she felt but I feared my eyes were going to get lost in the back of my head reading that one.

I especially grimaced at the the point where she described the ongoing trauma she is experiencing because of her "terror" that she was "forgotten about" whilst "trapped" in her vehicle because everyone rushed to help Philip before her. The baby was presumably not readily visible, and anyone arriving on the scene of an accident with two seemingly healthy younger woman in an upright vehicle and another victim, visibly very elderly, in an inverted vehicle, would certainly rush to the elderly man.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
In the UK the law states that seat belts must be worn and there is a £500 fine for failing to wear one, and yet both the Queen and Prince Philip regularly drive without wearing one. In fact, just hours after the accident, the Queen was seen driving without one. They are not above the law but regular flaunt it. Well, hell mend the two of them.
The Queen is above the law. She doesn't have a licence and yet has been allowed to drive on UK roads since she became Queen. She doesn't have a passport and yet is able to travel freely around the world.

They wear lap belts I believe on many occasions.