The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke simply doesn't care anymore about anything (well he didn't really care even before his retirement) : what his family thinks, what the Press thinks and what we think...
I guess this will not end well, probably ...

Old 01-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

48 hours later and Philip is driving again without an protection officer and without a seat belt. Bad optics here. Any good will Philip had when he retired from public life is going to go up in smoke.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

without a seatbelt on a public road ... best case people will book it off as senile stubborness.
worst case, something like this happens again.
i think public opinion will now turn against philip, if it hasnt already, as he is putting people deliberately in danger including himself by driving without seatbelt.
not sure joe average can do the same on a public road without being fined.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Courtier

hmm. Maybe. Phillip has never been hugely popular so isn't going to have a spectacular "fall from grace" necessarily and once the Brexit/other more photogenic "scandals" within the Royal Family start up again tomorrow, it might be written off so to speak. This isn't a reflection on whether it should be or not.

I'm not sure he would have had his license taken away if he were a commoner, it's not always as easy as you might think in these circumstances.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The seatbelt thing, for both HM & Philip, I really don't understand. You're causing the majority of damage to yourself if you're not wearing a seat belt. This family should realise that more than anything.

Everything else people are complaining about I don't see the issue, Philip has gone through all DVLA measures required of anyone at that age, and passed them.

I really don't believe who was in the other car, the age of the driver, or the vehicles involved had anything to do with the accident. A driver drove into traffic due to poor visibility. It's clear that that road is an issue, evident by the fact changes have been made to the speed limit on that road, road improvements lined up and average speed cameras installed.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The seatbelt thing, for both HM & Philip, I really don't understand. You're causing the majority of damage to yourself if you're not wearing a seat belt. This family should realise that more than anything.

Everything else people are complaining about I don't see the issue, Philip has gone through all DVLA measures required of anyone at that age, and passed them.

I really don't believe who was in the other car, the age of the driver, or the vehicles involved had anything to do with the accident. A driver drove into traffic due to poor visibility. It's clear that that road is an issue, evident by the fact changes have been made to the speed limit on that road, road improvements lined up and average speed cameras installed.
Agree, it is absurd for the queen and Philip not to wear seatbelts. It's a safety measure not a nice add on that normal people have to do because the lawmakers liked to make their lives more difficult. The law should apply to all.

But... normally airbags only work if a seat belt is worn, so how can Philip's car have employed the airbag if he wasn't wearing a seat belt?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
But... normally airbags only work if a seat belt is worn, so how can Philip's car have employed the airbag if he wasn't wearing a seat belt?
I haven't heard that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt during the accident? He wasn't wearing one on his trip out today.

https://twitter.com/LizzieITV/status...92017885855744

Quote:
A source confirmed tonight that the Duke of Edinburgh took and passed a police eyesight test today. This test is standard procedure for an investigation of this nature. #PrincePhilip
Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

I would guess they aren't going to reveal details of anything even if Prince Philip had sustained some minor injuries.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I haven't heard that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt during the accident? He wasn't wearing one on his trip out today.

https://twitter.com/LizzieITV/status...92017885855744
I assumed that wearing a seatbelt is about a habit: so, if even after an accident he is not wearing one, it seems likely that he normally isn't wearing one. And I got the impression by other posters that the two of them never wear a seat belt.

However, that would be inconsistent with the airbag working...
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Re: the DoE driving today - I think there's possibly an issue of humility & taste. I accept he was dazzled by the low sun but he caused a serious accident that could easily have killed people. Those people have been through hell & it must be galling to see pics of the DoE out driving his other Freelander today. When I had my crash (caused by someone else who was convicted) I had my children in the back & it was weeks before I could get behind the wheel again. I was given a temporary replacement car by my insurance company but I felt sick every time I drove anywhere & was fearful whenever my children were in anyone else's car.

Maybe I'm just being over sensitive because I've been through it but I think it would have been better for the DoE to keep a low profile until after the police investigation into whether he'll be charged with an offence. If he wants to drive, he has private roads out of sight.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
48 hours later and Philip is driving again without an protection officer and without a seat belt. Bad optics here. Any good will Philip had when he retired from public life is going to go up in smoke.
It is so difficult to get an elderly person to surrender the car keys!
It's like they consider it giving up on life, or something.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I’m sure the family was very shaken up by that car crash. The mans car flipped over on the hood and then landed on its side. The whole thing could’ve ended his life or the other ladies and baby. But who have the guts to tell Philip to get somewhere and sit the hell down and give up the keys? Nobody, other than his doctors. It’s gonna take a serious illness for him to not be able to drive anymore. The same for The Queen.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Instead of telling Philip no longer to drive, his car from Balmoral was driven to Sandringham the following day so he was able to drive again asap.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Nobility

In the UK the law states that seat belts must be worn and there is a £500 fine for failing to wear one, and yet both the Queen and Prince Philip regularly drive without wearing one. In fact, just hours after the accident, the Queen was seen driving without one. They are not above the law but regular flaunt it. Well, hell mend the two of them.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

We do not know who caused the accident. The car Philip was driving was probably reinforced so for it to be flipped over means that there was an element of force used against it. That force is usually caused by speed.

Until the police have determined who is at fault why should Philip give up his licence now and then be ruled not the driver at fault.

In one of the articles on this story there are figures of the number of drivers in the UK with licences and thus with their own independence and there are over 100,000 over 100 with 4 aged 107.

Philip would have been tested last year - as he has been every year since he turned 70.

The Queen is the only one who doesn't require a drivers licence - just like she doesn't have a passport.

A number of the royal cars have lap seatbelts and not shoulder seat belts and for some people that is even what they are told to have (a friend of mine is only required to wear a lap belt due to health reasons so it always look like she isn't wearing a seat belt but she is).

The British legal system will deal with this and not the general public. Trial by media isn't fair to anyone and only leads to miscarriages of justice, destruction of reputations and even suicides.

I would prefer to wait until the investigation is complete rather than rush to judgement that an elderly man was to blame. He may have been, but so may the other driver.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Bit strong to wish hell on them IMO.

Noticeably the Queen was spotted today wearing a seatbelt so clearly, even if ONLY for PR purpose, HM is conscious of trying to to the right thing.

I think what none of us will truly understand is that the Queen and Philip are so use to driving around private estates on private roads that sometimes I suspect they are travelling on private estates then public roads to get to another part of the private estates without really noticing that they are and therefore need to wear seatbelts etc as they are on public highways not private roads. Of course many would argue they should for their own safety always wear a seatbelt but they are not legally required to do so on private roads.

At the moment no one really knows what caused the accident. I was in a car accident not that long ago - I went into the back of a car in front of me that was pulling out into a roundabout, many would say it was my fault but actually the car in front pulled out into the roundabout then braked suddenly - I was lucky in that a police car happened to be sitting on the roundabout in exactly the right place to see that actually it wasn't my fault and as such it wasn't my fault in the eyes of the insurance. As many family / friends pointed out if that police car hasn't of been there I would have been the one blamed as I had gone into the back of someone. My point is - no one bar Philip and the people in the other car know what happened really so I think everyone needs to dial back the blaming Philip argument. If this happened to William or Harry would we be saying they should have their licence taken off them? Beatrice had two accidents in London in a short space of time a few years back - didn't see people saying she should have her licence taken off her- The fact is accidents happen all the time it just a fact that with so many cars on the road there will be some accidents.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The woman in the car basically said the royals have ignored her. This is such a bad look and Philip out here driving without his seat belt on. My goodness.

https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1086745790075281410

This cover story is so bad. They need to get ahead of this because right now their PR seems lost.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The woman in the car basically said the royals have ignored her. This is such a bad look and Philip out here driving without his seat belt on. My goodness.
Yes despite the palace claiming that Philip was in contact with them one of the women has said it's not true and that they haven't even had so much as an apology.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I saw that article and yeah this looks bad. The queen has immunity from civil and criminal prosecution I believe but she realizes this can become a PR nightmare for the BRF so she is publicly seen wearing a seat belt.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Car crash victim, Emma Fairweather, speaks out-
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...mpression=true

This is a problem that needs to be solved.

The police had a word with Prince Philip after he was pictured driving without wearing a seatbelt-
https://news.sky.com/story/police-sp...crash-11612300

A.W. TOZER