The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure it must be one they already own and just had it relocated to Sandringham. The one he drove has special armor if the articles are to be believed. Even Range Rover couldn't put that together so quickly and if the palace was going to buy a new car, they would have taken time to decide on other amenities or upgrades they would one.

And as said the model that was involved yesterday is not made any more. Even Jaguar Land Rover can’t remake an old model in 24 hours.

It is being reported that The Duke of Edinburgh has reached out privately to those involved in the accident.

It's good that there were no fatalities but this is far from over. Two people were injured. The lawyers will be coming out soon and no doubt the royals do not want this playing out in courts of law and public opinion.

Why would this need to go to court. Can't it just be arranged by the insurance companies of those involved? What's common practice in the UK?

Why would this need to go to court. Can't it just be arranged by the insurance companies of those involved? What's common practice in the UK?

All depends on the injured party and who the fault lies with and ultimately who the insurers would find fault with. A lot of accidents can appear to be just one sided, and then insurers get involved and it’s actually 50/50.

I personally don’t think any lawyers are going to come out for this, IF Philip was at fault, insurers would take care of anything needed/necessary for the injured party.

I don’t see this becoming a criminal issue.

The Queen seen drove in Sandringham yesterday little more than a mile from the scene of Prince Philip accident.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-92-drives-Range-Rover-without-seatbelt.html

The Duke of Edinburgh has been spotted driving into the Sandringham Estate, 48 hours after his crash. He was travelling alone in his replacement Land Rover and seen wearing tinted glasses.

Via ITV

Article from DM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6610325/Philip-rides-Duke-Edinburgh-97-wheel.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just amazed that a Kia could t-bone an armoured Freelander so hard it spun and rolled over twice. It sounds crazy.

Oh Wyevale thats funny. Bet he has plenty of words to say now. But as a gentleman he would never swear in front of the Queen.

I am not so sure.

Many years ago a man was heard to swear in front of the Queen and then apologised profusely to which she replied 'I am the wife of a sailor, the mother of a sailor and the daughter of a sailor. I have heard it all before.'

I'm pretty sure he doesn't pull any punches when he's around his family....I'd think she's heard it all.

LaRae

In one book I've read it states that Philip is the only man on the planet that can tell the Queen to "shut up". :lol:

When an accident like this happens and emergency crews rush to the scene, these are professional people and they're trained to take care of and provide assistance for *all* victims and can quickly access who needs assistance first. This would have been the more severely injured in the accident (including the baby) while others attended to Philip and checking his vitals. The fact that he's a prince of the UK doesn't enter into the picture. I don't know how it works in the UK but one rule here is that if one person in a car was a fatality, *all* passengers of that car are treated on scene at the fatality level and rushed to the hospital.

In another thread we were talking about a test and it mentioned Philip's cars. He's got quite a garage full of vehicles that he can use at Sandringham even but I imagine the Freelander was a specific made to order "armored" car for his protection and with one down, one similar to that from a different estate was driven to Sandringham overnight for him.

I am just amazed that a Kia could t-bone an armoured Freelander so hard it spun and rolled over twice. It sounds crazy.

I am here smacking my head with the same thoughts. A Kia is certainly not a huge car. What in the world is the speed limits in that intersection? Were there actual any witnesses that are willing to come forward to police? How about CCTV cameras? Sincerely hope Prince Philip is ok and this situation doesn't raddle him and affect his system. I really adore the old guy and love his straight way of talking and sense of humor. One would always know exactly where they stand with him and that I have always appreciated in life.

I've wondered the same thing about the speed limit. Especially after reading in "Our Queen" about how Philip has posted the speed limit for the Sandringham estate at 38 kph (23.6121 MPH. Yes, I had to look it up). Then again, that might not apply to any public road that runs through the estate.

That Kia had to be clipping along the road at a pretty good pace to impact that Freelander so hard.

I am here smacking my head with the same thoughts. A Kia is certainly not a huge car. What in the world is the speed limits in that intersection? Were there actual any witnesses that are willing to come forward to police? How about CCTV cameras? Sincerely hope Prince Philip is ok and this situation doesn't raddle him and affect his system. I really adore the old guy and love his straight way of talking and sense of humor. One would always know exactly where they stand with him and that I have always appreciated in life.

60MPH

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-46912556

"Prince Philip, 97, escaped unhurt after his Land Rover overturned near the Queen's Sandringham estate on Thursday.
It happened a day before Norfolk councillors agreed to cut the speed limit on the A149, where there have been five deaths in six years.
Councillor Colleen Walker said the duke's involvement had brought the issue "right to the forefront".
The Labour councillor told the county's transport committee drivers often raced along the road, with its "blind corners and little bends".
She and her fellow members approved proposals to drop the speed limit from 60mph to 50mph and install average speed cameras along the A149."

That explains it. 60 mph is fast enough that it would impact the Freelander the way it did. Where I am, there's so many roads that have blind spots and twists and turns that even with lower speeds posted, there still are quite a few accidents occurring because someone is going too fast on the road regardless of if the speed limit is observed or not. Trick is to slow down and be extra cautious in rainy weather or when there is sun glare. Perhaps someone will think to send Philip some of those HD sunglasses that help with sun glare.

At least some good did come out of this accident (besides no one being seriously injured) and the speed limit voted to be reduced in the area.

The Duke of Edinburgh has been spotted driving into the Sandringham Estate, 48 hours after his crash. He was travelling alone in his replacement Land Rover and seen wearing tinted glasses.

Via ITV

Via ITV

Well, as they used to say, “a hard head makes a soft ass.”

By the diagram of Daily mail, I see this was a T junction, don't you have priority from the right? For what I understand the other car had right of way not Prince Phillip.
Now it is really not smart to go back on the wheel bu also I understand he might be very difficult to convince .

A communor would have his Drive licence confiscate for ever..
By the way the British Royals do they have a drive licence like each UK Citizen?.

Last edited:
Saying Philip is stubborn or hard headed isn't good enough IMO.

No one wants accidents to happen but the fact is despite how the palace tried to down play it this was a major accident and people were hurt. A 10 month old baby was in the other car. This accident was at the brink of becoming a tragedy to all those involved.

Everyone was lucky that the injuries weren't worse but this is the massive wake up call they needed to change something but instead it looks like BP is doubling down and backing Phillip's driving.

Saying Philip is stubborn or hard headed isn't good enough IMO.

No one wants accidents to happen but the fact is despite how the palace tried to down play it this was a major accident and people were hurt. A 10 month old baby was in the other car. This accident was at the brink of becoming a tragedy to all those involved.

Everyone was lucky that the injuries weren't worse but this is the massive wake up call they needed to change something but instead it looks like BP is doubling down and backing Phillip's driving.

My car was once hit by a car that blew through a stop sign at a minimum 45mph--because the sun was in his eyes. That driver was 17 or 18 years old. I had my 14 month old daughter in the car. My seat belt and her car seat saved us from any serious injuries. Should that young man have lost his license because he failed to see the stop sign and a baby was in the car he hit?

My brother's best friend's mother was killed in a car accident because of sun glare-none of the three drivers involved was elderly.

That same accident may have happened with sun glare even if the driver were 27 rather than 97, especially since it is a known dangerous section of road with many serious accidents.

They did change something-they voted to reduce the speed limit that they'd been thinking about for while but the high profile of Prince Philip made it finally happen.

Glad to see he is well and already active, but it's about time he stops driving. If he doesn't think about his own safety, his family should think about the safety of others in the streets. 97 is not an age when a man can be left alone driving, reflexes aren't quite the same. I mean, it's like he can't afford a driver that can be at his disposal 24/7.

Via ITV

Whether it is wise for him to continue driving I leave for those who are in the know but I do notice that some change was made: he was seen wearing tinted glasses. That suggests sun glare was likely part of what went wrong at the time of the accident earlier this week - as has been speculated by many.

The Duke simply doesn't care anymore about anything (well he didn't really care even before his retirement) : what his family thinks, what the Press thinks and what we think...
I guess this will not end well, probably ...

48 hours later and Philip is driving again without an protection officer and without a seat belt. Bad optics here. Any good will Philip had when he retired from public life is going to go up in smoke.

without a seatbelt on a public road ... best case people will book it off as senile stubborness.
worst case, something like this happens again.
i think public opinion will now turn against philip, if it hasnt already, as he is putting people deliberately in danger including himself by driving without seatbelt.
not sure joe average can do the same on a public road without being fined.

hmm. Maybe. Phillip has never been hugely popular so isn't going to have a spectacular "fall from grace" necessarily and once the Brexit/other more photogenic "scandals" within the Royal Family start up again tomorrow, it might be written off so to speak. This isn't a reflection on whether it should be or not.

I'm not sure he would have had his license taken away if he were a commoner, it's not always as easy as you might think in these circumstances.

The seatbelt thing, for both HM & Philip, I really don't understand. You're causing the majority of damage to yourself if you're not wearing a seat belt. This family should realise that more than anything.

Everything else people are complaining about I don't see the issue, Philip has gone through all DVLA measures required of anyone at that age, and passed them.

I really don't believe who was in the other car, the age of the driver, or the vehicles involved had anything to do with the accident. A driver drove into traffic due to poor visibility. It's clear that that road is an issue, evident by the fact changes have been made to the speed limit on that road, road improvements lined up and average speed cameras installed.

The seatbelt thing, for both HM & Philip, I really don't understand. You're causing the majority of damage to yourself if you're not wearing a seat belt. This family should realise that more than anything.

Everything else people are complaining about I don't see the issue, Philip has gone through all DVLA measures required of anyone at that age, and passed them.

I really don't believe who was in the other car, the age of the driver, or the vehicles involved had anything to do with the accident. A driver drove into traffic due to poor visibility. It's clear that that road is an issue, evident by the fact changes have been made to the speed limit on that road, road improvements lined up and average speed cameras installed.
Agree, it is absurd for the queen and Philip not to wear seatbelts. It's a safety measure not a nice add on that normal people have to do because the lawmakers liked to make their lives more difficult. The law should apply to all.

But... normally airbags only work if a seat belt is worn, so how can Philip's car have employed the airbag if he wasn't wearing a seat belt?

But... normally airbags only work if a seat belt is worn, so how can Philip's car have employed the airbag if he wasn't wearing a seat belt?

I haven't heard that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt during the accident? He wasn't wearing one on his trip out today.

A source confirmed tonight that the Duke of Edinburgh took and passed a police eyesight test today. This test is standard procedure for an investigation of this nature. #PrincePhilip

I would guess they aren't going to reveal details of anything even if Prince Philip had sustained some minor injuries.

I haven't heard that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt during the accident? He wasn't wearing one on his trip out today.

I assumed that wearing a seatbelt is about a habit: so, if even after an accident he is not wearing one, it seems likely that he normally isn't wearing one. And I got the impression by other posters that the two of them never wear a seat belt.

However, that would be inconsistent with the airbag working...

Re: the DoE driving today - I think there's possibly an issue of humility & taste. I accept he was dazzled by the low sun but he caused a serious accident that could easily have killed people. Those people have been through hell & it must be galling to see pics of the DoE out driving his other Freelander today. When I had my crash (caused by someone else who was convicted) I had my children in the back & it was weeks before I could get behind the wheel again. I was given a temporary replacement car by my insurance company but I felt sick every time I drove anywhere & was fearful whenever my children were in anyone else's car.

Maybe I'm just being over sensitive because I've been through it but I think it would have been better for the DoE to keep a low profile until after the police investigation into whether he'll be charged with an offence. If he wants to drive, he has private roads out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom