The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here’s why we took my mother’s keys away: although we believed her to be a good driver at 85, we refused to take a chance that she would hurt others.

Plus, she would get lost when she was going to places she had been before. And since neither of us had ridden with her in years, we had no idea if she was forgetting other things behind the wheel.

Unlike many seniors, Philip will never be stranded at home, isolated and alone.

The Duke is a legend but i doubt he's the kind of man who listens very much his entourage and/or family and likes to be told what he has to do.
I guess it's a warning call, but in a classic Philip's way it will propably be "at 97, why bother ? Just' go with it".

For himself maybe, but I really don't think he wants to injure (or kill) anyone else.

It might have been an accident that could have happened to anyone at that particular spot under those circumstances or not. I'm sure the police will be investigating further.

I am one of those people who had to tell my now 91 year old mother she couldn't drive anymore a few years ago. Her driving knee hurts, her reaction time is slow and she gets confused when things are not exactly what she expects. She hadn't driven on the highway or at night in years, but still went to the grocery store or doctor's office by herself. She is still not happy about having to ask people to take her places.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I was in a car accident a few years ago. Even though I lived and didn't have any major injuries, I suffered a burnt injury on my shoulder because of the belt. I also hit with my head and my foreheard was swollen. Because of the adrenaline, I was physically okay except for those injuries, however, a few days later I had lots of sore pains everywhere, my muscles hurt so much. I couldn't even sit on the toilet, and I won't forget how embarrasing that was to me to ask for others to help me undress. I'm pretty sure that he will feel pain in the next couple of days. But I'm glad he survived.
I feel ya and I doubt Philip and the woman and kid involved aren't going to feel something. I was in a major car accident a few months back (crashed into the guardrail on the freeway with a speed of over 115 km an hour) and though I got out unscatched, I still need some fysiotherapy to release tension in my neck because the neck does make quite the impact regardless if it's injured or not.

Glad that no one was injured. You wouldn't want to live with yourself knowing that a car accident you were in severely wounded someone or even killed someone. :sad:

More details about the crash from Emily Andrews:

Philip pulled out from a side road onto main road when he drove into the path of a Kia carrying a mum and 10-month-old.

Prince Philip told eyewitnesses at the scene he’d been “dazzled by the sun” which was very low in the sky at the time of the crash (3pm) today. Fortunately he wasn’t hurt, but one lady had a suspected broken arm & the mum and baby boy were very shaken up.

It's good that there were no fatalities but this is far from over. Two people were injured. The lawyers will be coming out soon and no doubt the royals do not want this playing out in courts of law and public opinion.

The Queen cannot be sued as she has sovereign immunity, but the DoE can.

Well his guardian angel certainly got a workout today! HRH is very very fortunate not to be dead or seriously injured. I think the next few days will tell the tale, undoubtedly the adrenaline was flowing but once that wears off he'll be feeling some after effects. Hopefully they won't be too serious.

As for his continuing to drive? I think the only person who could persuade him to give it up is the Queen.

Wishing him and the people in the other car a very speedy & thorough recovery!

I read somewhere else that the location of the accident is a place where there have been multiple collisions ...perhaps some changes need to be made to that location.

LaRae

I am glad that the Prince does not have injuries, but I even think that for a person of 97 years this is serious. I wish him to recover soon.

Terrible at 97 ! Younger it would not have been an enormous problem but at his age !
I fear for him !

At this point I'm actually more concerned for the 10 month old baby and the two women who suffered injuries. I'm glad Philip isn't seriously injured, as far as we know, but the eyewitness accounts of the accident demonstrate what a bad accident it was, and how lucky all four of the people involved are.

There is a slight bend in the road from the aerial map on the link provided page 2 I think. At high speed it may cause trouble when a car from a stop position pulls onto the road.
So the first thing the council should do is reduce the speed limit for that bend. And warn drivers of incoming traffic from a side road. Like they do here.

I agree with you all when you say he will feel affects from muscles contracting during impact.
Like I said before he should have a nurse monitoring him for the next couple of days at least.
Oh how he will love all the Fuss. Not!

Here in Australia your Dr can have your licence cancelled, either permanently or temporarily whether you agree or not. If the same can be done in UK then it is past time it was done.
PPhillip is a grown man and should face this himself, he should not need a Dr or his wife or his children to broach the subject and 'convince' him to be responsible.
I am very disappointed this all been about PPhilip. There were innocent people in that other car, reports say a child as well. PPhillip also had his own passenger/s safety to consider.
Just because he is royal and clearly has the respect of many does not mean he should be given a free pass on this.
Other innocent people could easily have been killed or maimed for life. You also don't just walk away from a car accident without phsycological effects either. How long until the other people can get in a car again without being scared, heart racing etc?
No free pass for him on this from me.

Last edited:
Here in Australia your Dr can have your licence cancelled, either permanently or temporarily whether you agree or not. If the same can be done in UK then it is past time it was done.
PPhillip is a grown man and should face this himself, he should not need a Dr or his wife or his children to broach the subject and 'convince' him to be responsible.
I am very disappointed this all been about PPhilip. There were innocent people in that other car, reports say a child as well. PPhillip also had his own passenger/s safety to consider.
Just because he is royal and clearly has the respect of many does not mean he should be given a free pass on this.
Other innocent people could easily have been killed or maimed for life. You also don't just walk away from a car accident without phsycological effects either. How long until the other people can get in a car again without being scared, heart racing etc?
No free pass for him on this from me.

This sounds like jumping to conclusions. There is no evidence that Philip's age was the cause of this accident. That may turn out to be the case, but it sounds like that particular stretch of road has already had numerous accidents and that they have been considering actions to reduce accidents there. I doubt that everyone who has had one of those accidents has been elderly.

Being in an accident is scary and difficult but it sounds like everyone came out of it without serious injuries, it could have been so much worse.

Ellen Whinnett writer for AFP, found on news.com says;
The Queen has the power (as monarch) to revoke his license anytime she wishes.

I think The Duke is perfectly capable of driving on the estate roads. It is just unfortunate he had to enter a busy A road to cross over to the other part of the estate.
I am sure his cognitive scores are quite high.
And I definately would not like to say who is at fault at this point. That's up to the police.
Personally I believe the road conditions are at fault here.
Speed limit too fast. 40 accidents and five fatalities on this A road. So the road needs a slower speed for sure at some sections.

I wonder if Prince Philip and The Queen will meet up with, Mr. Roy Warne, and have a chance to thank him for helping with the accident?

Also, i'm sure you're aware there is a "" button on all posts, that allows you quote more than one post in the same response. This prevents threads from getting clogged.

No I am not aware of any such button and so have no idea how to quote more than one post in the same response.

No what button?
Perhaps here in the Southern Hemisphere we are Buttonless!
Ho ho ho.

No I am not aware of any such button and so have no idea how to quote more than one post in the same response.

Press the button to the right of the quote button (the one that is quotation marks) for the first message you are wish to quote-it won’t do anything until you then press the quote button on the second message you wish to quote. Both should pop up in the reply box.

Last edited:
I wonder if Prince Philip and The Queen will meet up with, Mr. Roy Warne, and have a chance to thank him for helping with the accident?

I would imagine that the Queen would not only get in touch personally with Mr. Warne but also with the other casualties involved in the accident. She's that kind of a person that will be concerned about their well being.

It was an accident in the truest sense of the word. It can and does happen to the best of drivers. I've had it happen to me. I lost my brakes in rush hour traffic going into downtown Detroit and underbellied a semi. The ca was totaled and they needed the jaws of life to get me out but I only suffered a broken nose and a small head laceration but the aches and pains were quite the after effects and like Empress Merel, I required physical therapy for my back after. To this day, I still get the heebeejeebees when I'm next to a semi on the freeway.

I don't think this is a cause to revoke Philip's driving license but I would imagine that Philip, himself, will be paying much closer attention to the road to avoid a repeat of what happened.

Who is le the law in UK? In many countries after a certain advanced age the driver has to pass regular exams, medical but also for his driving capacity and reflexes. I wonder if prince Philip would pass these exams.
Nevertheless independently of his own skills and capacities, 97 is too old.... He could just play with this car inside the palaces domain....

Thanks Anglophile. Learn something new every day.

This sounds like jumping to conclusions. There is no evidence that Philip's age was the cause of this accident. That may turn out to be the case, but it sounds like that particular stretch of road has already had numerous accidents and that they have been considering actions to reduce accidents there. I doubt that everyone who has had one of those accidents has been elderly.

Being in an accident is scary and difficult but it sounds like everyone came out of it without serious injuries, it could have been so much worse.

No jumping to conclusions involved. Doesn't matter what the causes of the other accidents were. What matter is what was the cause of THIS accident. Jumping to conclusions could be very well be assuming that all accidents at this location had the same root cause.

If his Dr says it's time, it's time. But he should also have the sense to realise and accept it himself. It's not like he will have to take a bus, he will always have a driver. The reality of life it that at some point a person WILL become too old (reflexes, eyesight etc) to drive.

Additionally, as I said in relation to physiological injury, just because people walk away with no physical injury does NOT mean they are not injured. As anyone who has been involved in a car accident, or assisting people in the aftermath knows, the effects can stay with you, sometimes you get 'over it' sometimes certain effects are forever.

He gets no pass on this from me.

I am glad everybody involve in the accident is ok, but I must agree with BorgQueen, he shouldn't be driving.
My husband is 3o years older than me and he has short term memory lost , he is having some tests and I think he has some Alzheimer. Not easy. But one thing that I notice it was his driving , how he forgets where to go, so I contacted the Doctor , had some checks, and now in order for him to get his license back is to pass his written test first for driving and once he pass that he can do a driving test, so far he did the written test 3 times and he didn't pass, I see it difficult for him to pass because he can not remember what we just talk 3 minutes ago. Of course he is very upset, angry and with bad temper , specially for a man to be taken away his driving license is a big thing specially here that it is not public transportation , you do not drive you are in a mess. And it is really hard on me because I have to drive our daughter everywhere and work it is very difficult but I do not want him to course any accident, I do not want get hurt, nor my daughter o somebody else for that matter and my husband it is 20 years younger than Prince Phillip. But I think we have all to use some common sense .

More details about the crash from Emily Andrews:

His car had apparently crossed one side of the road when it was hit on its passenger side by the Kia which is thought to have been travelling south.

The impact spun his car around into the path of traffic heading north and turned it over in a layby on the western side of the road.[/I]

So we currently have two "versions" of the crash. One says Philip was hit by the Kia, the other says Philip drove into the path of the Kia.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/0...e_Land_Rover_Freelande-a-21_1547764323717.jpg

This is the picture of the road, the Land Rover entered from the right, and was in the middle lane waiting to turn right from that position. Philip entered the southbound carriage way with this sun in his eyes and potentially drove into the Kia.

If this is the case, then it's less about due care and attention afterall. Doesn't matter your age, as we're all affected by low sun.

Last edited:
I find it surprising the others in the accident weren't included in the Archbishop's prayers and the news is not make much mention of their wellbeing beyond saying minor injuries. I think it's shortsighted for both the palace and the archbishop not to pay attention to everyone involved.

I completely agree with this. While I'm glad that DoE was physically unharmed, and didn't require immediate hospital care, the two ladies in the other car were injured, and there was that baby in the other car too. It is very short sighted and callous to not mention them in the prayers.

Our news media here keep referring to his vehicle as a Landrover, not a Rangerover.
I am certain there is a big difference. Even when the news cross to a UK witness who refers to the car as a Rangerover.

Ok. I wonder why UK people were calling it a Rangerover.

Back
Top Bottom