The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2019, 04:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
Prince Phillip should be made to take a test to check his driving abilities.
He has, as the rest of the population over 70 have. Prince Philip has met and passed all that is required of him by law to drive. What happened in this accident could have happened to any member of the royal family, or frankly anyone at all. We're picking on his age when frankly that has very little baring on the issue.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...01283102740480

Quote:
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: ““After careful consideration The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence.”
All Royal Reporters are reporting on the same story, BP have confirmed.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke of Edinburgh has officially stopped driving-
https://mobile.twitter.com/re_dailym...01138843828225

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, I see this as good news. Philip isn't stupid but he is stubborn. It took this accident to drive home the lesson that perhaps driving himself isn't in his best interest and has voluntarily surrendered his license.

I can only hope that I can follow the DoE's example and turn my license to drive in at 97 years young.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Courtier

I think this is a good decision on his part. I dreaded my parents getting older and the day we would have to tell them they needed to give up their keys. Fortunately, that day didn't happen as my dad quit because he just didn't feel good. My mom quit because she didn't want to be a story in the newspaper as in "elderly female driver in accident".
Old 02-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

He surrendered his pilot license when he reaches his 50s saying if he caused an accident it would be seen as his fault. I think after some time to let things settle HRH knows this is the best thing to do for himself and others.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Nobility

I wonder who persuaded Philip? My money is on the Queen.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe he simply decided it on his own?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Article from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47186875
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

'After careful consideration'...to be a fly on the wall during that
Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Likely: The Queen, Family, palace officials, lawyers and, most of all, knowing he could’ve died in that crash or killed someone in the crash.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

Will be interesting to see who is at church tomorrow. Plus will be interesting to see the CPS decision
Old 02-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder if this means that he has been officially found to have been the one SOLELY responsible for the accident by the police and this is just a pre-emptive strike/decision before the release of the official report. IF he is, then he could be facing charges and legal payouts to the victims.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
That's what I wondered as well. The accident itself didn't convince him at first, so I do think he's received some recommendations

And while he still can get to places it must be hard to loose another bit of perceived freedom. I hope he had an enjoyable last ride on the estate.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

“Norfolk Police can confirm that the 97 year old driver of the Land Rover involved in the collision at Sandringham ... has today voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers...
The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service”

https://twitter.com/maxfostercnn/sta...946913793?s=21
Old 02-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Don't quote me on this but I think Philip most likely doesn't need an "official" driver's license to drive on private land. He'd just have to steer clear of public roads. I'm sincerely hoping though that he's hung up all his keys and lets someone else drive him. Everywhere.

Now that he's voluntarily handed in his driver's license and hopefully having a driver take him where he wants to go, there remains a big question. Will Philip now also give up carriage driving?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Nobility

However the decision was reached (my money is on the Queen persuading him) IMO it was the right one. While Prince Philip is extraordinarily healthy for a 97 year old nobody at that age has the reflexes needed to drive a vehicle safely.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Eminently sensible, altho' doubtless a hard choice for the Duke, but he can continue to drive on the private roads on the the Estates at Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral if he so chooses and his RPO, or wife can drive in other locations or circumstances.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Majesty

I think, all things considered, this is a good decision, whether Prince Philip made this on his own or not. The woman in the other car will be having a plate put in her arm as a result of this accident and if the licence hadn't been surrendered the Press would have been on the attack.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Wise decision. At 97, Prince Phillip does not have the situational awareness as soneone even 20 years younger than him.

I also believe that the Queen and family helped Prince Phillip with the decision.

Does the Queen still drive on public roads?