The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2019, 03:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There won't be an inquest - nobody died and inquests inquire into the reasons for people's deaths.

There may be a court hearing but that isn't a given for a simply traffic accident.

The police have quite a lot of leeway with a range of things - they could simply write it up as an accident, with no one 'at fault', they could decide to simply issue a fine to one or both drivers, they could decide to recommend to the CPS that charges be laid and a court case follow. What they decide will be determined once they have all the evidence and not on the demands on the mob being stirred up by the media.

Never mind the “mob” and free press, we hope our rural police are not influenced by outdated deference, freemasonry and corruption within their ranks as has shielded so much bad media in the past. The queen’s nephew is lucky.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 AM
Majesty

Nevertheless, regardless of whatever incident you are referring to, these are times when the world is at our fingertips and if the Police Crash Investigation Team are anything like ours, they live in a world of their own and are a formidable and quite unique group. Owing to the Politics of this particular crash, it is possible that their version of our Serious Crash Unit may have been deployed.

Their seemingly boundless knowledge of mathematics, trigonometry and physics with a large dash of meteorological extrapolation, combined with the psychology of both drivers and witnesses, makes for remarkable expert evaluation that stands up in court as 'expert' and will ensure an open, honest and fair verdict will be reached.

I believe they are utilising their best to appease people who will refuse to believe the verdict regardless, and the time elapsed since the accident tends to make one think they are covering all their bases.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:42 AM
Royal Highness

What if the investigation finds Philip is at fault but doesn't charge him? Will the passenger try to sue him? He is not immune to civil liability.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
What if the investigation finds Philip is at fault but doesn't charge him? Will the passenger try to sue him? He is not immune to civil liability.
I would imagine that should Philip be found at fault and there is no charge or compensation awarded, it would be then feasible for the passenger to file a claim in court.

The downside to this though would be, most likely, that hiring an attorney and having court costs to pursue this matter would be far too expensive to pay out of pocket. Not to mention most likely have to take off work to be in court.

I don't see it happening unless this person wants to extend her 15 minutes of fame to 30 minutes.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
She will be compensated privately.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

If, repeat if, Prince Phillip is found to bear the responsibility of this accident I cannot see the BRF going down the road where the driver not to mention the passenger(!) will end up in a position where they will have to go to court to seek compensation.
That would be a PR-disaster and the press would revel in the story!

I believe firmly that the BRF would far prefer this to be handled quietly to everybody's satisfaction. There is no risk of the driver or the passenger winning a lawsuit where they are awarded millions of Pounds. That's totally unrealistic.

Anyway, assuming the driver has an insurance (which may even cover the passenger a well) wouldn't it be more likely her insurance company would file a civil lawsuit against Prince Phillip?

Don't know how it works in Britain. But elsewhere salary paid out by the employer during a sick leave of an employee is usually reimbursed either through an insurance or by the local municipality.
Is there a similar system in place in Britain? If so then the employers insurance company or the municipality will seek to get their expenses covered as well.
(For example: If I am off sick for a longer period, i.e. more than a couple of weeks or so, there is a form from the municipality I need to fill out, and one of the questions is whether this is an accident and if so whether there is someone responsible for the accident - so that the municipality can file a claim to have their expenses covered.)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

The reality is, even if this angry passenger takes Philip to court she does not have horrendous injuries, she can still walk, talk (more than enough) and go about an almost normal life. A broken arm is not going to get you millions, at most she would get a 5 figure payout.

I’m not sure about sick leave as far as I know there is statutory sick pay and companies may offer additional payment to this.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He can be found at fault for the accident, and not be prosecuted it happens on a daily basis. The driver is quite clearly someone who wants to stay out of the papers so I don’t see anything coming from her.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The reality is, even if this angry passenger takes Philip to court she does not have horrendous injuries, she can still walk, talk (more than enough) and go about an almost normal life. A broken arm is not going to get you millions, at most she would get a 5 figure payout.

I’m not sure about sick leave as far as I know there is statutory sick pay and companies may offer additional payment to this.
And that IMO would be extremely generous! Even is she should suffer a few percents diminished ability to use her hand.
She is after all not a surgeon, a pianist or something like that.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

That's when treking down to London to be interviewed on This Morning probably hasn’t helped... she can’t be that hurt!
Old 01-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And that IMO would be extremely generous! Even is she should suffer a few percents diminished ability to use her hand.
She is after all not a surgeon, a pianist or something like that.
Nor am I, but I still wish for a grip strong enough to whip up an omelet, hold a future grandchild, drive a standard shift car, deadhead a rose, arm wrestle in a biker bar...just kidding about that last one!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Nor am I, but I still wish for a grip strong enough to whip up an omelet, hold a future grandchild, drive a standard shift car, deadhead a rose, arm wrestle in a biker bar...just kidding about that last one!
That is sad!

However, I meant a few percent, say 5 % diminished use of her hand. That would hardly lead to her getting a particularly high amount from a settlement or the insurance companies. If any...
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another question here. How likely is it for Ms. Fairweather to actually find an attorney that would be willing to take on The Duke of Edinburgh and the team of legal eagles the Windsors most likely have?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Another question here. How likely is it for Ms. Fairweather to actually find an attorney that would be willing to take on The Duke of Edinburgh and the team of legal eagles the Windsors most likely have?
I'm not sure that would be necessary. I think his insurance company will be the ones to pay out rather than him personally. That's what happened in my accident, even though the other driver was prosecuted by the police, my personal injury compensation came from his insurers.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
As likely as it is that an adult film actress or a Playboy model would find an attorney willing to sue the President of the United States. No such thing as bad publicity, just publicity.

There are plenty of solicitors who would not be bothered that the Duke of Edinburgh is the Defendant in an action - they may think their client is in the right and believe everyone is entitled to legal representation (which is why even the worst criminals still get someone to represent them). Maybe they are not monarchists/have no feelings one way or the other about the monarchy. Maybe they just relish the opportunity to thumb their nose at the establishment.

Diana had no difficulty in finding a lawyer who was prepared to negotiate a divorce on her behalf. When she sued one of the tabloids for publishing photos of her in her gym, the barrister retained by the paper (Geoffrey Robertson QC) was said to be looking forward to the opportunity to cross examine her about her own collusion with the media until the paper caved. Mohammed Fayed had no difficulty finding a barrister who would run his arguments at the inquest into Diana's death.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
As likely as it is that an adult film actress or a Playboy model would find an attorney willing to sue the President of the United States. No such thing as bad publicity, just publicity.

There are plenty of solicitors who would not be bothered that the Duke of Edinburgh is the Defendant in an action - they may think their client is in the right and believe everyone is entitled to legal representation (which is why even the worst criminals still get someone to represent them). Maybe they are not monarchists/have no feelings one way or the other about the monarchy. Maybe they just relish the opportunity to thumb their nose at the establishment.

Diana had no difficulty in finding a lawyer who was prepared to negotiate a divorce on her behalf. When she sued one of the tabloids for publishing photos of her in her gym, the barrister retained by the paper (Geoffrey Robertson QC) was said to be looking forward to the opportunity to cross examine her about her own collusion with the media until the paper caved. Mohammed Fayed had no difficulty finding a barrister who would run his arguments at the inquest into Diana's death.
I think all the scenarios you list are very different to the one Philip may find himself in. President Trump is hardly the model man and whilst he is the president, he certainly does not have the same reverence as the RF.

Diana finding lawyers to fight her corner was never going to be hard and Mr Fayed just chucked money at the situation. Diana got her divorce but Fayed never got anywhere with his ranting.

Whilst either party might attempt to “sue”, such an American term, the royal family would not let it get as far as anything damaging that is quite clear.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Finding an attorney who will represent her is probably very easy, although the attorney will actually be litigating against the Duke of Edinburgh's insurer.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Commoner

Prince Phillip should be made to take a test to check his driving abilities.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Why?

Have the police said he was 'at fault'?

If not then why pick on him.

When the police determine who was 'at fault' they will take the appropriate action which may include any or all of the following: charge one or both drivers with some driving offence, recommend the cancellation of one or both drivers' licences; determine no action is required as it was a 'no fault' accident (they do happen).

Until they have made their determination it is only discriminatory to insist that a) Philip's age was the issue or b) Philip, being a member of the BRF is automatically at fault.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

A Satirical GEM -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philip.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	301646