The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2019, 02:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting.

This apology, because that's what it is, where he is placing the responsibility at his own door, suggests to me that Prince Phillip at least unofficially now know the result of the police investigation. It should after all be a pretty banal investigation.
Otherwise there would be no need for him to explain the accident from his point of you.
A simply expression sympathy and wishing a speedy recovery would suffice.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I see Ms. Fairweather has already provided the letter to The Mirror while the driver of the Kia has held onto hers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Interesting.

This apology, because that's what it is, where he is placing the responsibility at his own door, suggests to me that Prince Phillip at least unofficially now know the result of the police investigation. It should after all be a pretty banal investigation.
Otherwise there would be no need for him to explain the accident from his point of you.
Interestingly, the letter is dated 21 January, so it has been around for nearly a week. The aggrieved lady certainly kept that under wraps for a few days!

Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Interestingly, the letter is dated 21 January, so it has been around for nearly a week. The aggrieved lady certainly kept that under wraps for a few days!
And she received it on the 23th, according to the article...

Has ms. Fairweather been "active" from the 24th until today?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:09 AM
Nobility

Given that the prince appears to accept liability within the contents of this letter, this story is going to run and run further. Following the investigation, there will be much comment on a decision to prosecute or not to prosecute?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Interesting.

He has apologised for his part in the accident not the accident in its entirety.

He hasn't accepted total responsibility at all.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He has apologised for his part in the accident not the accident in its entirety.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

"I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road."
- In other words: He was familiar with the conditions at that crossing. Traffic and surroundings.

He then goes on to explain how the sun was low and in his eyes, and as such he imagines that's how the accident happened.
- In other words: He couldn't see anything but crossed the road anyway. A main road where he knew there was traffic.

That is, in my eyes, a de facto admission of responsibility.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I agree. At the moment, he doesn't know whether the speed or actions of the other driver were contributory factors & that will be decided following the police investigation.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I suspect that given an the fuss in the media, the letters will have been seen by his Private Secretary and possibly a lawyers for the RF as well.

Nice to see Miss Fairweatehr is on top form and making sure to use this for another 5 minutes of fame.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I suspect that given an the fuss in the media, the letters will have been seen by his Private Secretary and possibly a lawyers for the RF as well.

Nice to see Miss Fairweatehr is on top form and making sure to use this for another 5 minutes of fame.

It is interesting that Ms Fairweather is reported to have said that it was nice that the Duke "signed off as Philip, not the formal title", which she interpreted as an indication that the letter had a "personalized nature".

Apparently, she didn't know that royals always sign with their first name only.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It's all in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

"I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road."
- In other words: He was familiar with the conditions at that crossing. Traffic and surroundings.

He then goes on to explain how the sun was low and in his eyes, and as such he imagines that's how the accident happened.
- In other words: He couldn't see anything but crossed the road anyway. A main road where he knew there was traffic.

That is, in my eyes, a de facto admission of responsibility.
He starts with 'I would like you to know how sorry I am for MY PART in the accident.'

He is taking some responsibility but not all and that is very clear with the opening sentence - he is sorry for HIS PART.

He then goes on to simply explain what he remembers happening.

By saying 'my part' he is also making it very plain that he believes the other driver also contributed to the accident. Had he left out the words 'my part' then he would have been taking all the blame but by putting them in there it is making it plain as day that he isn't completely responsible.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

She was always upset that she didn't have some sort of contact from the royals, she wanted flowers and a card from the Queen and when she didn't get it she went to the press. Sometime I guess its just easier to give in
Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Again itís just quite clear this woman is fame hungry. The driver involved in this hasnít said a word to the press, hasnít fussed at all. Ms Fairweather has gone to town, even now when sheís got a letter she was probably always going to get, she gives it to the press to make her side of the story known.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philip out in Sandringham at the passenger seat this time

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...t,_sandringham
Old 01-27-2019, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He starts with 'I would like you to know how sorry I am for MY PART in the accident.'

He is taking some responsibility but not all and that is very clear with the opening sentence - he is sorry for HIS PART.

He then goes on to simply explain what he remembers happening.

By saying 'my part' he is also making it very plain that he believes the other driver also contributed to the accident. Had he left out the words 'my part' then he would have been taking all the blame but by putting them in there it is making it plain as day that he isn't completely responsible.
Well, I'm really trying to be as unbiased as possible, but sorry, I don't buy that one.
Firstly: He didn't have to say sorry and describe the accident from his point of view.
Secondly: Unless the driver of the other car was DUI or speeding, how can she be responsible for anything driving along on a main road?

Sometimes royals, also those we like and respect, make mistakes.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine too that the wording of Philip's letter was read and approved by lawyers and advisors before it was sent. Just as all parties were advised not to talk about the accident, the same would apply to any communication.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no doubt it will have been worded carefully, with extra caveats such as "my part in..." being added by advisors/lawyers to ensure it can't be taken as an admission of complete fault.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 AM
Nobility

All said and done it seems it is not in the princeís nature to admit guilt and apologise for all his gaffes and mistakes so it must have been a strained campaign by advisors to cajole him to put his signature to this letter. Off course the prince doesnít accept total liability as he probably blames the county council for the speed limit and probably the Almighty for the blinding sun!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Royal Highness

I think the driver is quiet because in the end she would be held responsible if the inquest finds her at fault. The passenger is getting her 15 minutes. That letter better not find its way to EBay, but then debris from the crash has already been sold.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
All said and done it seems it is not in the princeís nature to admit guilt and apologise for all his gaffes and mistakes so it must have been a strained campaign by advisors to cajole him to put his signature to this letter. Off course the prince doesnít accept total liability as he probably blames the county council for the speed limit and probably the Almighty for the blinding sun!
Phillip has always struck me as quite intelligent and capable of brutal honesty, as such, I suspect heís smart enough and honest enough to recognize when heís made a mistake. Heís a pragmatist and calls it like he sees it, including recognizing when he himself blows it. He reportedly said at the scene that he was a fool, and it is possible that he feels remorse for the harm he caused and that no campaign by courtiers/advisors was needed.
I seem to recall reports that household workers like working for Phillip best of all the Royals, which suggests to me that he has self awareness.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I think the driver is quiet because in the end she would be held responsible if the inquest finds her at fault. The passenger is getting her 15 minutes. That letter better not find its way to EBay, but then debris from the crash has already been sold.
There won't be an inquest - nobody died and inquests inquire into the reasons for people's deaths.

There may be a court hearing but that isn't a given for a simply traffic accident.

The police have quite a lot of leeway with a range of things - they could simply write it up as an accident, with no one 'at fault', they could decide to simply issue a fine to one or both drivers, they could decide to recommend to the CPS that charges be laid and a court case follow. What they decide will be determined once they have all the evidence and not on the demands on the mob being stirred up by the media.