The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 01-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coastal California, United States
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
... The only thing that turns me off is the news media and other driver, who was definitely hurt with broken bone, is making a much bigger drama out of it. Being paid for her story and probably wanting millions for her pain and suffering knowing that the royal will probably do it. If she was hit by any other old gent, she would be shutting her mouth and the media would look to have another William against Harry saga...
Unless things have changed in the last couple of hours and there's a media report I haven't seen, the other driver has said nothing to the media, so perhaps we should not falsely accuse her.
The woman who has spoken to the media was the passenger in the Kia.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 01-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Why do you say “victims”? The women and the baby ARE victims of a driver who failed to follow the rules of the road, not yielding the right of way and not proceeding safely. It’s quite shocking to be ikn a major collision like that, and those people deserve our sympathy, empathy, and respect for their suffering.

It’s unfair to absolve the DoE of all fault while blaming and shaming the victims. And even if the driver were at fault (she wasn’t), the passenger certainly wasn’t. It seems some think that she is somehow to blame because she has chosen to speak with the press. She’s 58 years old and may very well lose the job she has recently started. She’s entitled to make a bit of money to tide her over in that event. Too bad if the BRF looks bad in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don't think they should be treated any differently than if they had had an accident with any other driver. They don't get extra sympathy because the other car in their accident was driven by the Queen's husband. It is not like he was inebriated or driving 20 mph over the speed limit.
Yes, it is a pain to be involved in an accident but it is not worse because it was with a member of the Royal family, (unless you have expectations of special treatment and your expectations are not met.)
Some posters were shaming the victims; that is why I wrote that.
They were being denied sympathy by some.
And I do think that the DoE could have been more gracious, never mind police reports or insurance issues. He has nothing to fear, and he could have looked like a prince if he had sent flowers. Noblesse oblige...
__________________

__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 01-22-2019, 04:10 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This is a short video that explains an attorney's point of view on what actions Philip could take. The important thing right now is to remember that there is a criminal investigation ongoing. Emma Fairweather is to give her statement to the Norfolk police today.

Interesting points made in the video, thanks for sharing Osipi. I've heard people commenting before that if he apologises it would pinpoint that he was guilty of causing the accident (for which yet we don't know who caused it).
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
First off it's a false comparison to use children in something that is adult controlled behavior.

An adult choosing to not wear a helmet or seatbelt is not the same thing as a woman drinking while pregnant. Situations aren't even comparable.

A person choosing to not wear a seatbelt has no bearing on your safety.

The Queen has ridden horses for decades without a helmet. The only risk is to herself.

No I don't think we need laws to tells us what to do in these situations. If you want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet or a horse or drive without seatbelt that's no one's business but yours. I don't need you (the state) to save me from myself.


LaRae
I think I get where you are coming from but even though you might be willing to loose your life in an accident, anyone else involved in that accident might feel guilty for life because you died while they wouldn't have to be devastated if you had chosen or had been required to wear a seat belt. It also helps others to enforce those rules in their cars. So, I do support helmets or seat belt for high speed vehicles.

Yet, I am aware that I'm not completely consistent in my logic because I don't apply the same rules to those on bycicles who imo should be free to decide to wear a helmet or not - to defend myself: if wearing a helmet it is obligated less people ride theirs bikes and that's worse for everyone's safet. Requiring it for those on (race-type) road is fine with me, so I guess it comes down to speed and therefore expected impact of collission.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 01-22-2019, 05:53 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,517
I cannot believe we are on page 20 and counting, worse, most people are complaining that he does not wear his seatbelt. Did that cause the Accident? No, it did not but if people are going to lecture ad nauseum, please note that HM does not wear a seat belt either!

She was seen shortly after the crash without a seatbelt and last Sunday both she and Prince Andrew were driven to St Peters Church. Neither wore a seatbelt and never do when they go to church, whether St Mary Magdalene Church, St Peters or Crathie Kirk she didn't even wear one to St Georges Chapel for Harry and Eugenie's weddings. Being past ninety, will she too have to give up driving?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 698
Actually, the initial reports of the accident described HRH Prince Philip as "hanging" when people approached the crashed vehicle. The only reason someone would "hang" in an overturned car is if he or she was restrained by a seatbelt.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,198
Despite the later photos, I feel Prince Philip must have been wearing a seatbelt at the time of his crash, otherwise how could he have rolled over the Land Rover and escaped uninjured?
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 01-22-2019, 07:35 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Actually, the initial reports of the accident described HRH Prince Philip as "hanging" when people approached the crashed vehicle. The only reason someone would "hang" in an overturned car is if he or she was restrained by a seatbelt.
The Land Rover was on its driver's side, so I'm not sure where he would have been hanging.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Why do you say “victims”? The women and the baby ARE victims of a driver who failed to follow the rules of the road, not yielding the right of way and not proceeding safely. It’s quite shocking to be in a major collision like that, and those people deserve our sympathy, empathy, and respect for their suffering.

It’s unfair to absolve the DoE of all fault while blaming and shaming the victims. And even if the driver were at fault (she wasn’t), the passenger certainly wasn’t. It seems some think that she is somehow to blame because she has chosen to speak with the press. She’s 58 years old and may very well lose the job she has recently started. She’s entitled to make a bit of money to tide her over in that event. Too bad if the BRF looks bad in this.
I assume that you have access to the police findings as you have found the Duke guilty of an offence.

If you haven't access to the police findings you are speculating and thus are guilty of shaming people without all the evidence to hand - the very thing you are accusing others of doing.

Are you aware that accidents happen with no one at fault?

I have no idea who was to blame for this accident.

What I do know is that it would take a great deal of force to overturn a reinforced vehicle - designed to stop this very thing from happening.

We also have the passenger saying they saw the Duke's car pulling out from 150 metres which would mean he should have had time to get around and they had time to prevent the accident by breaking.

Trial by media and public vilification is NOT fair to anyone and just blaming one person because of his age and/or his status is unfair to him.

If the police determine Philip is in the wrong they will act accordingly - as they will if they determine the other driver is in the wrong. It is not up to the public or the media to make that determination.
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I do agree with you on your points. If it wasn't DoE in the accident and of course his age, this would not be headline news. When the police report is made public, all will be known. The only thing that turns me off is the news media and other driver, who was definitely hurt with broken bone, is making a much bigger drama out of it. Being paid for her story and probably wanting millions for her pain and suffering knowing that the royal will probably do it. If she was hit by any other old gent, she would be shutting her mouth and the media would look to have another William against Harry saga.

As far as seat belts, I wear one because it is the law. That is the only reason. Helmets are not required here [even on motorcycles] except on very young children and only on public grounds. People wear if they want, which most do.

I look back years ago, no seat belts required, no baby car seats required, no helmets required, etc. and wonder how we old ones have survived. Just maybe it the ridiculous speed that is permitted on narrow two lane roads that should be change back to years ago.
If you only wear a seatbelt because it's the law you are foolish. They have a reason and work very well. Yes, many years ago we didn't have them and we had many accidents that ended people lives or harmed them, when now they are much safer. What ridculous speeds on two lane roads, 45 MPH. Hardly ridiculous. In many States helmets are required for those who ride motorcycles. Bikes cannot be controlled. It was the passenger who has a broken writs. She did nothing but sit in a car. And as far as the sun blinding one, then you drive very cautiously, as you know you cannot see well.
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
If you only wear a seatbelt because it's the law you are foolish. They have a reason and work very well. Yes, many years ago we didn't have them and we had many accidents that ended people lives or harmed them, when now they are much safer. What ridculous speeds on two lane roads, 45 MPH. Hardly ridiculous. In many States helmets are required for those who ride motorcycles. Bikes cannot be controlled. It was the passenger who has a broken writs. She did nothing but sit in a car. And as far as the sun blinding one, then you drive very cautiously, as you know you cannot see well.
The broken wrist was bad luck. No one intentionally broke it.

The passenger said it was overcast. Sometimes the sun is not blinding you as you drive along but the clouds suddenly part and boom-the sun is now in your eyes. It takes just a second.
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:13 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't really get your point. Where I live these things are still allowed. Are there places where children aren't allowed to ride without a helmet or where pregant women aren't allowed to drink? Especially the last one, are women supposed to have a pregnancy test before getting a drink? Drinking while pregnant might not always be a good idea, but it's still legal.
Yes actually, there are many places where bike helmets are required.

As for alcohol are you serious ??? Obviously I mean when you Know you are pregnant. I am clearly talking about when you know. The list of dangers and problems you can cause your unborn child by drinking while pregnant, yeah there is no logical reason to drink while pregnant.

Sorry maybe its the nurse in me who have watched too many small children suffer because of the stupid choices made by their parents. Tiny babies born premature. Little kids with serious head injuries as they got hit while riding their bike. So yes, I think that when you have the lives of children in your care, you take precautions to make them safe.

My point was that as humans we have realized certain dangers. Royals used to marry their first cousins, even their nieces. Yeah not everyone got hemophilia or birth defects, but plenty did. Does that mean that royals should still marry close family to keep blood pure? Hope not. Common sense and science has run out in that case.

The royals are role models. People watch them like celebrities. Considering how Diana died, the idea of car safety should be even more ingrained.

Spend a night working in a hospital ER (thankfully a short stint) and you may understand where others come from.


Quote:
The broken wrist was bad luck. No one intentionally broke it.

The passenger said it was overcast. Sometimes the sun is not blinding you as you drive along but the clouds suddenly part and boom-the sun is now in your eyes. It takes just a second.
No one said that the broken wrist was intentional. That is why we call it an Accident.

Simply that it was not her driving that caused the accident. She was just along for the ride. That its not simply the drivers of either car who can be at risk. Think of how much worse it could have been if she had not been wearing a seatbelt.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,326
I just want to add to Countessmeout's post about pregnancy and drinking alcohol here. I'm in West Virginia in the US and in our grocery stores and places where alcohol is sold, there are signs up visibly warning that consumption of alcohol while pregnant may lead to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

OK. We now return to #Philipgate. Anyone hear if Ms. Fairweather has been able to give her statement to the Norfolk Police?
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
I didn’t know this happened back in ‘64.’
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisship...35277503201281

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-24/...-1964-emerges/
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,326
Sheesh. I was 12 years old and in the 7th grade at that time. I think I was more interested in the original "Fab Four" then than Philip so its not surprising it never entered my scope of knowing.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 01-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,978
A bit of a weird article on why royals don't always wear seatbelts. If it's the law, they should (and apparently there are a few exceptions in which they don't have to) and if they don't, they at least should consistently be fined.

It seems the younger royals typically do wear seat belts in front seats but not always in back seats.

Edit: I even found this picture of the queen without and Catherine with seat belt (on Balmoral Estate, so it's allowed not to wear one)
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
To be honest, that article smells more like a pro-royal explain-away article to me.

If we look at the risk assessment the chances of a royal being involved in accident is considerably higher than being the victim of a kidnap/assassination attempt.
It's not like the royals are commando soldiers expected to dive to the floor or leap out of the car instantly.
You can for the same reason ask why there are no explosive bolts in the doors...

I think the explanation for royals not wearing seat-belts is much more down to earth and can be summed up in one word: Comfortable.
You have more freedom of movement without a seat-belt, especially on the backseat.
I can however, see one reason where a seat belt would be impractical. When the royals are on full regalia. A seat-belt may make it uncomfortable when you are wearing orders, stars and jewellery as the belt pushes them against your body.
It's a theory though as I don't usually were orders, stars, brooches and parures...
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,190
So what the article really means is there is no good reason for royals not to wear a seatbelt. I remember there being a fuss when Will & Kate were dating that she arrived driving herself to some military ball without a seatbelt. No one then excused it as a good reason not to wear a seatbelt.

Creasing your dress or custom made outfit is not IMO a good reason. And the security threat is rubbish - why have some of the royal protection officers commented they all made protectees buckle up then?
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 01-26-2019, 06:35 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
So what the article really means is there is no good reason for royals not to wear a seatbelt. I remember there being a fuss when Will & Kate were dating that she arrived driving herself to some military ball without a seatbelt. No one then excused it as a good reason not to wear a seatbelt.

Creasing your dress or custom made outfit is not IMO a good reason. And the security threat is rubbish - why have some of the royal protection officers commented they all made protectees buckle up then?
As far as I can see, it is decided on a case by case basis... there may be timtes when it is better not to have one on, most times it is obviously advisable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I cannot believe we are on page 20 and counting, worse, most people are complaining that he does not wear his seatbelt. Did that cause the Accident? No, it did not but if people are going to lecture ad nauseum, please note that HM does not wear a seat belt either!

She was seen shortly after the crash without a seatbelt and last Sunday both she and Prince Andrew were driven to St Peters Church. Neither wore a seatbelt and never do when they go to church, whether St Mary Magdalene Church, St Peters or Crathie Kirk she didn't even wear one to St Georges Chapel for Harry and Eugenie's weddings. Being past ninety, will she too have to give up driving?
I would say that if Philip is being attacked for the accident, for being an elderly driver and for not wearing his seatbelt, then the quen should be as well....
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
As far as I can see, it is decided on a case by case basis... there may be timtes when it is better not to have one on, most times it is obviously advisable...
I think that's rubbish. Why would for example one royal be wearing a seatbelt and another royal not while in the same car both in front seats? And why would the younger generation show different patterns than the older generation?

I can't think of any situation in which not wearing a seatbelt is advisable because of a security thread. Can you? Typically those guys would check on whether everyone is buckled up but apparently that's not a priority or some royals refuse to listen...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sandringham House colynsmomma British Royal Residences 247 09-10-2020 10:19 AM
Prince Kardam seriously injured in Madrid car accident, August 2008 LadyFinn The Royal Family of Bulgaria 198 04-07-2015 09:05 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism british british royals chittagong countess of snowdon cover-up dutch royals emperor family tree haakon vii heraldry hill history house of glucksburg interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent kids movie king salman king willem-alexander list of rulers luxembourg mailing maxima monaco history nepal nepalese royal family nobel 2019 norwegian royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn prince daniel princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth pronunciation queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress saudi arabia spain speech startling new evidence stuart swedish royal family taiwan thailand tracts unsubscribe videos von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×