The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Nobility

Oh I have just heard this on the news. What a scarry accident. I am glad that everyone seemed to have walked away without serious injuries, but I highly doubt the Duke is uninjured. Having been in a similar accident before, while the safety measures keep larger injuries at bay, they do a horrible number on your body - especially on a near 100 year old man. I hope he is closely monitered the following days - he might feel fine now due to shock, but the crash will come sooner than later.

Praying for a speady and full recovery.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I doubt very much that Prince Philip came out of that accident physically unscathed. It sounds as though he avoided any significant injury, thank goodness, but any time airbags and other passive restraint systems deploy, there are physical effects on the driver and passengers. At a minimum, he is going to be sore/stiff for several days, and if he is less lucky, there may be other effects that show up over time.

I'm very glad that he and anyone else in the car survived, but much as I hate to say it, it might be time to reconsider if at his age driving on public roads is a good idea. No matter how alert he is, the reaction times cannot possibly be as good as they were 20-30 years ago.
Thatís what I hear about what happens after an accident. In some cases, the effects of a crash donít show up until later. Iím sure heíll be monitored.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

What about the drive if the other car?
It is unacceptable to drive at this age. Public danger! He should give the example.
Was he alone?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
It is unacceptable to drive at this age. Public danger! He should give the example.
Was he alone?
Im sure he had his policeman with him...ÖÖÖ..
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I'm curious about the driver of the other car, too, as well as any passengers in either car. That there were no fatalities is wonderful, but it could so easily have gone the other way. Do we know who was at fault?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well its legal to drive at his age so hardly "unacceptable", avoidable for someone in his position - yes, unadvisable - maybe. I suspect that Philip had curtailed most of his driving on public roads but some of the private roads around Sandringham lead to public roads so even "driving around the Estate" means crossing public roads sometimes.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I doubt very much that Prince Philip came out of that accident physically unscathed. It sounds as though he avoided any significant injury, thank goodness, but any time airbags and other passive restraint systems deploy, there are physical effects on the driver and passengers. At a minimum, he is going to be sore/stiff for several days, and if he is less lucky, there may be other effects that show up over time.

I'm very glad that he and anyone else in the car survived, but much as I hate to say it, it might be time to reconsider if at his age driving on public roads is a good idea. No matter how alert he is, the reaction times cannot possibly be as good as they were 20-30 years ago.
I agree. I am sure he will be feeling things tomorrow once that adrenaline wears off and the soreness truly takes over. They are all very lucky. And I also agree that maybe it is time to take away the keys. I know it is a touchy subject and DoE is a very proud man but that is a conversation that likely needs to be had.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So it *looks* like The Duke was at fault. It appears he pulled out into oncoming traffic. I have google mapped, and think I have found the road in question and it does look pretty dicey.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...79585064435712
Quote:
A colleague with good knowledge of Sandringham tells me the accident spot is at a junction where the track from Wood Farm (where the Duke has spent a lot of time) to the main Sandringham House crosses the main A149 road. A scene of many accidents he says, with lots of blind spots
Old 01-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Was he alone?
I donít know. Sometimes we see, Prince Philip, driving alone on the royal estates.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes, I'm curious about the driver of the other car, too, as well as any passengers in either car. That there were no fatalities is wonderful, but it could so easily have gone the other way. Do we know who was at fault?
I find it surprising the others in the accident weren't included in the Archbishop's prayers and the news is not make much mention of their wellbeing beyond saying minor injuries. I think it's shortsighted for both the palace and the archbishop not to pay attention to everyone involved.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I find it surprising the others in the accident weren't included in the Archbishop's prayers and the news is not make much mention of their wellbeing beyond saying minor injuries. I think it's shortsighted for both the palace and the archbishop not to pay attention to everyone involved.
I found it surprising and off-putting, too, to be honest.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

I guess he will stop driving now, even in private areas.
While the Duke may wish to drive on, even after this scare, I doubt very much he would wish t be a risk to others. So I think he won't sit behind a wheel from now on.
97 and still driving is impressive! Most lose their license ten or twenty years prior to that.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I hope he reconsiders driving, but we'll see, I suppose. Personally, I have a lot of respect for people who voluntarily choose not to drive past a certain point. My father gave up his license when he was in his 80's because although he hadn't had any accidents, he couldn't bear the thought that he might injure someone else, and he was very aware that his reflexes were simply not as good as they had been when he was younger.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

I am a big fan of His Royal Highness and with his good health and fitness I would like to see him around for a good while yet.
So the question is -- Who is going to give him the riot act/bollocking that he may need to accept all the help that is available to him. I don't think the softly softly approach will work with Philip. The whole family will be a bit shaken up by this.
His policeman should have driven. It is not like he has the experience that many of the rest of us have of driving most days in traffic and long distances.
Most of his driving has been on private estates. And I think he is perfectly capable of keeping on driving on the estates. But busy public highways he should give over to his policeman.
I agree with all of you that shock will probably set in. I understand him being a proud man and having the independence to drive himself is important to him.
The other people had minor injuries thankfully.
It doesn't matter to me who was at fault. The point is there was bad judgement made on this night, that possibly a younger man might not have made.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
And I think he is perfectly capable of keeping on driving on the estates. But busy public highways he should give over to his policeman.
I am not agreeing or disagreeing here, just mentioning that Philip was driving from one private estate to another this afternoon. He had to cross a public section of road to do that, that is believed to have been the cause of the accident pulling out onto a road without due care and attention to oncoming traffic.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I hope he reconsiders driving, but we'll see, I suppose. Personally, I have a lot of respect for people who voluntarily choose not to drive past a certain point. My father gave up his license when he was in his 80's because although he hadn't had any accidents, he couldn't bear the thought that he might injure someone else, and he was very aware that his reflexes were simply not as good as they had been when he was younger.
My Dad was the same a very proud man, but he knew when it was time to surrender his license before he caused an accident.
Then of course he had daughters who had to drop everything to run him around. bang:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I am not agreeing or disagreeing here, just mentioning that Philip was driving from one private estate to another this afternoon. He had to cross a public section of road to do that, that is believed to have been the cause of the accident pulling out onto a road without due care and attention to oncoming traffic.
There you go, without due care and attention.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt Philip drives long distances on public roads, it seems he was crossing a public road from one part of a private estate to another so driving a mile, getting out to let the policeman cross the junction then swapping back again would seem a little daft. A lot of people are saying it is a very busy road with lots of accidents, apparently the council are even meant to be discussing tomorrow whether average speed cameras should be placed along the road to help slow down the traffic.
Yes driving at Philip's age is perhaps an added risk but it sounds like this could have happened to anyone else.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Thatís what I hear about what happens after an accident. In some cases, the effects of a crash donít show up until later. Iím sure heíll be monitored.
Very true. I was recently in a car crash but didn't discover until the following day that I had a broken arm.

I don't think anyone over the age of 80 should drive, unless they can pass a yearly test.
Age does take its toll.

Philip really has no excuse, because he will have no trouble finding other means of transportation.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Majesty

I am so glad that Prince Philip is okay, though shock might set in within the next few hours. Perhaps, with his 98th birthday this year it's time for him to bow to the inevitable and stop driving altogether, though I doubt he will.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
There you go, without due care and attention.
I put that because that is what I assume was the cause, anyone that pulls out into oncoming traffic without checking to see if it's clear is not paying due care and attention. I have it happen to be at least 3 or 4 times a day, and I can tell you the people who are doing it aren't 97.

It's been noted that the accident happened on a road with several blindspots, and is known as a bit of a black spot. It could well be the driver of the other car with driving too fast for the road, Philip believing he was safe to pull out, did so.

Frankly I don't think it's something we're ever going to know, and I don't think we should for the sake of the other people involved in the accident.