The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
“Norfolk Police can confirm that the 97 year old driver of the Land Rover involved in the collision at Sandringham ... has today voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers...
The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service”

A good decision on Philip's part, but I'm wondering what the significance of the investigation file having been turned over to the Crown Prosecution Service is. I'm assuming that this may have influenced him. I suppose we'll have to stay tuned to see what happens next.

A good decision on Philip's part, but I'm wondering what the significance of the investigation file having been turned over to the Crown Prosecution Service is. I'm assuming that this may have influenced him. I suppose we'll have to stay tuned to see what happens next.

ABC News said the case has been referred for prosecution. I can’t see that happening but who knows. He was at-fault in the accident.

Smart decision, however it was come to. While I think the queen likely had some words to say, Philip likely made the choice in the end.

Like his wife, he will likely continue driving on the private estate when he chooses. I don't see him giving up a car all together.

Wise decision. At 97, Prince Phillip does not have the situational awareness as soneone even 20 years younger than him.

I also believe that the Queen and family helped Prince Phillip with the decision.

Does the Queen still drive on public roads?
I believe she was seen driving herself a few days after Phil's accident

ABC News said the case has been referred for prosecution. I can’t see that happening but who knows. He was at-fault in the accident.

Trial by media and the mob isn't the legal processes in the UK, fortunately. There are a number of cases where the evidence presented in the media has then been thrown out of court as insufficient or only telling half the story e.g. the Ben Stokes affray charges, largely based on a short clip filmed by a member of the public but when the entirety of the story and other footage was shown in court he was found not guilty ... but the baying mob still refuse to accept that verdict as they only base their decision on the short clip sold to the media.

We do NOT know who was at fault at this point in time.

There is a possibility of 'no fault' in accidents you realise - that it was an 'accident'.

The passenger says the were 150 metres away when they first saw Philip. Unless they were speeding 150 metres was plenty of time to stop. So either she was lying, misjudged the distance or speed the car was going.

We know there was an accident in which a KIA and a reinforced landrover came into contact with sufficient force that the reinforced car was overturned.

We know that there were a couple of relatively minor injuries - no one was kept in hospital overnight. We know that the older driver has given up his license but no reason has been given - i.e. he wasn't ordered to do so as that would need a court case or at least some legal procedure which hasn't happened.

We know that the police have passed the file to the CPS - that doesn't mean anything as most police files end up with the CPS - who will decide IF there are any charges that are to be laid. The CPS will determine if charges should be laid and they will only do that IF they believe there is sufficient evidence of a crime being committed and a conviction being obtainable. With traffic incidents, most do not end up with charges being laid, as there isn't an actual 'crime'. They may recommend a fine as a traffic offence but not charges as no crime. The CPS don't prosecute every police report that comes before them - they decide IF they think a prosecution is viable.

The fact that Philip has voluntarily surrendered his license will also be taken into account by the CPS who may close the file at that point - as they do with many elderly people involved in car accidents.

Last edited:
I think, all things considered, this is a good decision, whether Prince Philip made this on his own or not. The woman in the other car will be having a plate put in her arm as a result of this accident and if the licence hadn't been surrendered the Press would have been on the attack.

Yes on every point. I see that comments on news sites are overwhelmingly supportive of the Duke for giving up his license.

I believe she was seen driving herself a few days after Phil's accident

Yes she was criticized for seemingly not having a seatbelt on, just after the accident. It was said she was near her estate at the time.

Well, for what it’s worth the BBC article reports that Phillip has admitted to being at fault.
Fortunately Phillip has access to a driver thus he’s free to go wherever he wants whenever he wants, unlike many elderly people (including my own mother) who must rely on family members or friends to ferry them around.

It is a hard decision and though he'll miss the freedom to drive, Philip can still enjoy holding the driving reins on his own carriage.

He can also drive his car across private fields.
I commend his decision; he knows best his capacity and how shook up he was after the accident.

I hope he was more bothered by the injuries ot to other people....

Hallelujah, common sense has trumped royal privilege.

It's nor an easy decision to come to, I know. But it was a good decision. :flowers:

It is a hard decision and though he'll miss the freedom to drive, Philip can still enjoy holding the driving reins on his own carriage.

He can also drive his car across private fields.
I commend his decision; he knows best his capacity and how shook up he was after the accident.
I thought he'd give up carriage driving...

He's been photographed quite recently still driving a carriage in Windsor (before the accident though). Can't keep a good man down. :D

Oh thought that he had given up, due to arthritis in his hands? Or maybe that was carriage racing..

common sense has trumped royal privilege.

TRULY a ridiculous [and unworthy] remark..Many non Royal elderly people face precisely the SAME dilemma..and often it takes an incident of some sort to prompt a decision...

Last edited:
I think this was a wise and sensible decision. This must be quite a blow from Philip though because he seems to be very determined and strong, even when he's nearly 100. However it's best for everyone that he's revoked his license. I wonder if he'll still continue carriage driving - I'm not sure if there's the same licensing system for carriages.

Well, at least he can still drive around the estates, just as he drives his carriage.

Just because Philip has turned in his driver's license, it doesn't mean he's going to become the proverbial couch potato. This is a man that loves to do and keep active and he'll find a way to continue doing what he loves to do. :D

Just because Philip has turned in his driver's license, it doesn't mean he's going to become the proverbial couch potato. This is a man that loves to do and keep active and he'll find a way to continue doing what he loves to do. :D

Yes, just adapt and find new ways to do it. Staying active is important for people his age to remain healthy. He took up carriage racing when he was no longer able to continue with polo. Arthritis has kept him from racing, but he still actively drives, including training his granddaughter. Between riding with Gran and carriage driving with Grandpa, Louise will be quite the horsewoman.

Of course. Philip, being Philip, will find other ways to keep active though I'm sure he will miss driving around the local area and beyond!

:previous:No it will not!

Queue all the complaints and accusations of special treatment in 1..2..3...4....

No it will not!

ANYONE with even the most cursory knowledge of the British legal system knows that our Justice system is WHOLLY independent of the Government, and the State, [by extension] of the Head of State.

A prosecution is less likely to be needed if, for example, a court would be likely to fix a minimal or token penalty, or the loss or harm connected with the offence was minor and the result of a single incident.
The decisions made by the CPS are based on publicly available, clear and visible legal guidance.

Philip has surrendered his license. From what I have read, it is not uncommon for the authorities to consider the matter closed when that is the case, barring serious injury, death, or other egregious circumstances. I think the accusation of special treatment would have had more legs if Philip had retained his license and continued to drive, and there had been no prosecution.

Philip has surrendered his license. From what I have read, it is not uncommon for the authorities to consider the matter closed when that is the case, barring serious injury, death, or other egregious circumstances. I think the accusation of special treatment would have had more legs if Philip had retained his license and continued to drive, and there had been no prosecution.

I'm quite sure that he will drive on the private roads on the estates.

I'm quite sure that he will drive on the private roads on the estates.

Of course he will. That is not illegal and one does not need a license to drive anything on their private property.

Back
Top Bottom