The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Some of this, Philip, brought on himself. He needs some tough love.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl44 View Post
The passenger said in her interview they saw the Land Rover coming out of the junction some 150 yards away. Shouldnít they be braking when they saw it pulling out? How can the Kia over turn a heavy armoured Land Rover? This woman better make sure sheís not saying anything inconsistent on her different media interviews or she might ruin her friendís insurance claims.
Even if the car was driving 60 miles an hour; 150 yards should be enough to break and not hit the other car. However, I seem to recall that they had not expected him to pull up. I am sure all of this will be taken into account in the investigation (that will most likely be executed more thoroughly than normally because his royal highness is involved).

Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Two things the Fail gets wrong. At least the major ones I've noticed.

1. They list Emma Fairchild, 46 as the baby's mother. Wrong. She was the passenger in the car. It states that the family of Ellie Townsend have said that they're not blaming the DoE at all and just getting through it. Emma's the one making all the noise.

2. Philip *was* spotted driving without a seat belt after the accident but they fail to say *where* Philip was spotted at. If Philip was on Sandringham private roads, he can go beltless to his heart's content. If he's on public roads *at all*, he faces the same penalties for not buckling up as anyone would.

As for Wharfe and Arbiter, everyone's coming out of the woodwork with their two cents worth that really don't amount to a hill of beans in the long run. They make some good points though.

I'm just surprised there haven't been any satirical cartoons printed yet about all of this.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Nobility

The interview on national TV today revealed that the injured passenger hasnít been spoken to by the police nor contacted to give a witness statement.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...-a4044601.html
Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

They apparently couldn't get a hold of her at all over the weekend but will take her statement tomorrow. This gets weirder by the minute.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Two things the Fail gets wrong. At least the major ones I've noticed.
(...)
2. Philip *was* spotted driving without a seat belt after the accident but they fail to say *where* Philip was spotted at. If Philip was on Sandringham private roads, he can go beltless to his heart's content. If he's on public roads *at all*, he faces the same penalties for not buckling up as anyone would.
To be fair they did publish 2 maps showing exactly the places he was photographed without a seat belt & both places were on public roads.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

OK. Thanks. I must have somehow missed that. If he continues on public roads without a seat belt, they'll be looking out for him and pull him over. He's been warned.

Stubborn is a stubborn does but seat belts *do* save lives.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I completely get that Philip hasn’t done well in the last few days- driving without a seatbelt was ridiculous but this woman going on and on... she keeps harping on about how the royals haven’t been in touch but has ignored police calls herself, showing it is easy to miss calls from people, and hasn’t even been able to give them a statement but has been able to tour tv studios and give interviews (all whilst off work because she is so injured). She is clearly now trying to get fame and money out of a bad situation. I find it odd for the passenger in the car to keep going on yet the other driver has stayed (wisely) silent and said she doesn't blame Philip and just wants to get better.

Accidents happen- thats why we have insurance and airbags etc. We all hope they don’t but sadly they do, and they are just that- accidents. I assume this woman has never had an accident ever in her life - in a car or elsewhere.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It is so difficult to get an elderly person to surrender the car keys!
It's like they consider it giving up on life, or something.
So true. For some elderly, they consider it as family members or authorities trying to take their independence away.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Please note that posts discussing the Queen and passports have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...als-37682.html thread.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
So true. For some elderly, they consider it as family members or authorities trying to take their independence away.
For SOME elderly? For most of them! Iíve had to do this twice.

My sister, 1500 miles away, called to tell me that our mother had randomly driven to a town she did not know about 200 miles away. The police called my sister and said they would keep her there until she could be picked up. Both my sister and her husband then left work and drove 4 hours there and 4 hours back to bring her and her car home.

My feisty mother refused to consider giving up driving (she was nearly 85, and had always been a safe driver). So I had to fly down there and enforce it. Not pleasant, but we couldnít be sure she wouldnít do the same thing again, and we couldnít be sure that she wouldnít forget other things while driving, like not pulling out in front of cars that had the right of way, or driving through red lights or stop signs.

We felt that we would be responsible if she caused harm to herself or others by continuing to drive. And how many times would she have to be retrieved from strange towns far away?

My 90-year-old FIL turned left out of traffic and was t-boned by an oncoming car he didnít see coming. No injuries, the cops drove him home, he hung up his keys for good, drank a glass of brandy, and called us. He didnít need to be told his driving days were over. And his genius brain continued til the end of his life, but his eyesight and reflexes did not.

The Dukeís family needs to take the lead on this before something else happens. He will not be inconvenienced, and he will appear more dignified if he retires from driving with grace.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I feel badly for her, even if her choices of the last few days have not been the best. The British press is very good at luring unsuspecting people in so that they can be built up and then torn back down. She seems to be following that arc now. I don't think the next few days are going to be very pleasant for her, especially if some reporter digs up some irrelevant foible from her personal life.
if she doesn't know how the British press operates...Ö by now....
Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

I can understand the Prince or Royal Family not contacting the parties in the other car. I was hit, LE said and my insurance company said not to talk to or contact the other party, other then giving them my insurance sompany name. Let the insurance companies talk and contact each other.

This may be what is happening, it is behind the scene, which we are not privileged to hear, insurance companies talking and waiting for LE report. The lady talking could really mess things up in many ways.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

I for one wanted to give this woman the benefit that she was very upset and in shock and did not know what she was doing in talking to the media,(been in her situation) I did not want to crucify her and did not want anyone else to either........since she went into hiding and is apparently talking to and taking advice from someone who knows nothing about the BRF and the media on how they operate, she is now doing a great job of crucifying herself...... this is not going to play out well for any party be they the royal family or this woman. If the driver of the car was a friend and is not talking she would be a better friend to tell her friend to shut the hell up and let the insurance companies take care of business....she is beginning to sound like someone down in Florida wanting attention and money and contact with the BRF......they do not do tea with just anybody from what I have seen over the years....
Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Courtier

I did a quick search on social media to see how people are reacting to Ms. Fairweather's latest interviews, and the nicest comments I could find were "shut up Emma." It seems that sentiment is quickly turning against her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Do normal people (like you and me) have lawyers?

Or did she seek legal counsel after the accident? And if so, why? Wouldn't insurance companies normally arrange all of this, so no lawyer involved/needed?
Well, I might not be totally normal since I'm from a family of lawyers.

The insurance company of the driver/owner of the car would definitely have taken the lead on this so no lawyer would have been needed. However, Ms. Fairweather really should have sought out a lawyer on her own before speaking to the media. Here in the United States, there's a number of personal injury lawyers who advertise on radio, television, and highway billboards, so it would not be hard to find one.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just to be clear, how does it work in Britain when you are having a car accident like this, involving three parties?
I ask because quite a few here refer to how it is in other countries.

We have driver A. (The Duke.) He is insured.
Driver B. (The mother.) She is also insured.
Passenger C. (Ms. Fairweather.)
And a fictional passenger D. Who for the sake of argument does not have a basic insurance covering accidents. Nor is she covered by other insurance companies, like her her employer. And for the sake or argument, she broke her foot and due to complications is sick from her job for three months.

What happens now?
When will a civil lawsuit come in? If it comes in at all.
What damages can the persons in question expect? A very rough estimate will do.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

BTW how does the system work in Britain, if you are on sick leave very shortly after getting a new job, do you get compensation?
Usually as you're in a probationary period of about 3 months, you aren't entitled to any sick pay in that period from the company. Statutory sick pay which comes from the government starts from the minute you're registered as an employee, you must be ill for four consecutive days before you can claim. You also need a doctors note.

However usually when you start a new job you are in the probationary period you have a shorter notice period on both sides, so the company Ms Fairweather works for can just say we don't want you to come back. Depends on the company, and what job she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Just to be clear, how does it work in Britain when you are having a car accident like this, involving three parties?
I ask because quite a few here refer to how it is in other countries.
We have driver A. (The Duke.) He is insured.
Driver B. (The mother.) She is also insured.
Passenger C. (Ms. Fairweather.)
And a fictional passenger D. Who for the sake of argument does not have a basic insurance covering accidents. Nor is she covered by other insurance companies, like her her employer. And for the sake or argument, she broke her foot and due to complications is sick from her job for three months.

What happens now?
When will a civil lawsuit come in? If it comes in at all.
What damages can the persons in question expect? A rough estimate will do.
Unfortunately it is very much dependent on a number of factors that are hard to predict. Mostly it comes down to liability, which is easier to ascertain if someone admits or it is quite clear they were at fault.

It also depends on whether the driver wishes to go through insurance companies at all, as before insurance companies can make weird decisions and it can go from being 100% one way, to 50/50 which means they both have to fork out for their own repairs. When if The Duke for instance offered to fix the damage privately, then it's much easier. Driver B also doesn't lose their no claims discount, which depending on how long she's been driving can have an impact on the price of her insurance.

Passenger A, again her outcome depends on whether insurers are brought into the matter. If it goes 50/50, she's likely not to have a leg to stand on. If it's settled outside of the insurers, then she can claim that's Philip admitting responsibility and perhaps go to a "no win no fee" lawyer for whiplash, but I doubt someones going to pick that case up considering what they're up against. The insurances companies have adjusted quite dramatically to deal with the rise of whiplash claims in the recent years.

I don't think we'll see any real movement on the situation for a couple of weeks. It's quite clear the mother doesn't want to be involved in the situation Ms Fairweather is making for herself.

Just gone on google and typed in "car injury compensation payouts", thousands of results but the first one allowed me to "calculate my claim". Broken wrist for Ms Fairweather can get her anywhere from £5,600 to £18,620.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Even if the car was driving 60 miles an hour; 150 yards should be enough to break and not hit the other car. However, I seem to recall that they had not expected him to pull up. I am sure all of this will be taken into account in the investigation (that will most likely be executed more thoroughly than normally because his royal highness is involved).
I havenít seen the passengerís interview, but seeing a vehicle waiting to merge is not the same as saying the vehicle pulled onto the road 150 yards ahead. Hereís the stopping distance numbers
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...ing-distances/
I canít tell from the photos whether the Kia left any skid marks prior to impact, and civilian eye witnesses are remarkably bad at estimating distances, so I wouldnít take the passengerís statement too literally, particularly in trying to reconstruct what happened. From what we do know and what Iíve seen in the photos it doesnít seem the Kia had much time to brake or take evasive action.
The Kia had the right of way, Phillip admitted that he did not see the other vehicle which he blamed on sun glare, so itís not really a case of Phillip seeing the other car and thinking that he had enough time to safely enter the roadway and being wrong because the Kia was traveling faster than he thought.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It is interesting, as Osipi has pointed out, that it just seems to be Emma Fairweather raising her voice about the crash (she appeared on This Morning today apparently). I haven't heard any comments from anyone else involved in the crash apart from the man who helped Philip up after his car had turned over.
Without wanting to start a whole Diana discussion, I am surprised that the royal staff and advisors aren't more hot on seatbelt usage with the BRF since Diana's death. Especially when it comes to older members like HM and Philip who may be more prone to serious accidents in a crash.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

It wouldn't matter if someone was 'on to' the DoE about it or not...he's going to do what he's going to do. Like most people quite frankly.

Plus older people too as they start to lose some of their autonomy will hold on really hard to the things they can do/control.

LaRae