The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting.

This apology, because that's what it is, where he is placing the responsibility at his own door, suggests to me that Prince Phillip at least unofficially now know the result of the police investigation. It should after all be a pretty banal investigation.
Otherwise there would be no need for him to explain the accident from his point of you.
A simply expression sympathy and wishing a speedy recovery would suffice.

I see Ms. Fairweather has already provided the letter to The Mirror while the driver of the Kia has held onto hers.

Interesting.

This apology, because that's what it is, where he is placing the responsibility at his own door, suggests to me that Prince Phillip at least unofficially now know the result of the police investigation. It should after all be a pretty banal investigation.
Otherwise there would be no need for him to explain the accident from his point of you.

Interestingly, the letter is dated 21 January, so it has been around for nearly a week. The aggrieved lady certainly kept that under wraps for a few days!

Interestingly, the letter is dated 21 January, so it has been around for nearly a week. The aggrieved lady certainly kept that under wraps for a few days!

And she received it on the 23th, according to the article...

Has ms. Fairweather been "active" from the 24th until today?

Given that the prince appears to accept liability within the contents of this letter, this story is going to run and run further. Following the investigation, there will be much comment on a decision to prosecute or not to prosecute?

Interesting.

He has apologised for his part in the accident not the accident in its entirety.

He hasn't accepted total responsibility at all.

He has apologised for his part in the accident not the accident in its entirety.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

"I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road."
- In other words: He was familiar with the conditions at that crossing. Traffic and surroundings.

He then goes on to explain how the sun was low and in his eyes, and as such he imagines that's how the accident happened.
- In other words: He couldn't see anything but crossed the road anyway. A main road where he knew there was traffic.

That is, in my eyes, a de facto admission of responsibility.

I agree. At the moment, he doesn't know whether the speed or actions of the other driver were contributory factors & that will be decided following the police investigation.

I suspect that given an the fuss in the media, the letters will have been seen by his Private Secretary and possibly a lawyers for the RF as well.

Nice to see Miss Fairweatehr is on top form and making sure to use this for another 5 minutes of fame.

I suspect that given an the fuss in the media, the letters will have been seen by his Private Secretary and possibly a lawyers for the RF as well.

Nice to see Miss Fairweatehr is on top form and making sure to use this for another 5 minutes of fame.

It is interesting that Ms Fairweather is reported to have said that it was nice that the Duke "signed off as Philip, not the formal title", which she interpreted as an indication that the letter had a "personalized nature".

Apparently, she didn't know that royals always sign with their first name only.

Last edited:
It's all in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

"I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road."
- In other words: He was familiar with the conditions at that crossing. Traffic and surroundings.

He then goes on to explain how the sun was low and in his eyes, and as such he imagines that's how the accident happened.
- In other words: He couldn't see anything but crossed the road anyway. A main road where he knew there was traffic.

That is, in my eyes, a de facto admission of responsibility.

He starts with 'I would like you to know how sorry I am for MY PART in the accident.'

He is taking some responsibility but not all and that is very clear with the opening sentence - he is sorry for HIS PART.

He then goes on to simply explain what he remembers happening.

By saying 'my part' he is also making it very plain that he believes the other driver also contributed to the accident. Had he left out the words 'my part' then he would have been taking all the blame but by putting them in there it is making it plain as day that he isn't completely responsible.

She was always upset that she didn't have some sort of contact from the royals, she wanted flowers and a card from the Queen and when she didn't get it she went to the press. Sometime I guess its just easier to give in

Again it’s just quite clear this woman is fame hungry. The driver involved in this hasn’t said a word to the press, hasn’t fussed at all. Ms Fairweather has gone to town, even now when she’s got a letter she was probably always going to get, she gives it to the press to make her side of the story known.

He starts with 'I would like you to know how sorry I am for MY PART in the accident.'

He is taking some responsibility but not all and that is very clear with the opening sentence - he is sorry for HIS PART.

He then goes on to simply explain what he remembers happening.

By saying 'my part' he is also making it very plain that he believes the other driver also contributed to the accident. Had he left out the words 'my part' then he would have been taking all the blame but by putting them in there it is making it plain as day that he isn't completely responsible.

Well, I'm really trying to be as unbiased as possible, but sorry, I don't buy that one.
Firstly: He didn't have to say sorry and describe the accident from his point of view.
Secondly: Unless the driver of the other car was DUI or speeding, how can she be responsible for anything driving along on a main road?

Sometimes royals, also those we like and respect, make mistakes.

I would imagine too that the wording of Philip's letter was read and approved by lawyers and advisors before it was sent. Just as all parties were advised not to talk about the accident, the same would apply to any communication.

I have no doubt it will have been worded carefully, with extra caveats such as "my part in..." being added by advisors/lawyers to ensure it can't be taken as an admission of complete fault.

All said and done it seems it is not in the prince’s nature to admit guilt and apologise for all his gaffes and mistakes so it must have been a strained campaign by advisors to cajole him to put his signature to this letter. Off course the prince doesn’t accept total liability as he probably blames the county council for the speed limit and probably the Almighty for the blinding sun!

I think the driver is quiet because in the end she would be held responsible if the inquest finds her at fault. The passenger is getting her 15 minutes. That letter better not find its way to EBay, but then debris from the crash has already been sold.

All said and done it seems it is not in the prince’s nature to admit guilt and apologise for all his gaffes and mistakes so it must have been a strained campaign by advisors to cajole him to put his signature to this letter. Off course the prince doesn’t accept total liability as he probably blames the county council for the speed limit and probably the Almighty for the blinding sun!
Phillip has always struck me as quite intelligent and capable of brutal honesty, as such, I suspect he’s smart enough and honest enough to recognize when he’s made a mistake. He’s a pragmatist and calls it like he sees it, including recognizing when he himself blows it. He reportedly said at the scene that he was a fool, and it is possible that he feels remorse for the harm he caused and that no campaign by courtiers/advisors was needed.
I seem to recall reports that household workers like working for Phillip best of all the Royals, which suggests to me that he has self awareness.

I think the driver is quiet because in the end she would be held responsible if the inquest finds her at fault. The passenger is getting her 15 minutes. That letter better not find its way to EBay, but then debris from the crash has already been sold.

There won't be an inquest - nobody died and inquests inquire into the reasons for people's deaths.

There may be a court hearing but that isn't a given for a simply traffic accident.

The police have quite a lot of leeway with a range of things - they could simply write it up as an accident, with no one 'at fault', they could decide to simply issue a fine to one or both drivers, they could decide to recommend to the CPS that charges be laid and a court case follow. What they decide will be determined once they have all the evidence and not on the demands on the mob being stirred up by the media.

There won't be an inquest - nobody died and inquests inquire into the reasons for people's deaths.

There may be a court hearing but that isn't a given for a simply traffic accident.

The police have quite a lot of leeway with a range of things - they could simply write it up as an accident, with no one 'at fault', they could decide to simply issue a fine to one or both drivers, they could decide to recommend to the CPS that charges be laid and a court case follow. What they decide will be determined once they have all the evidence and not on the demands on the mob being stirred up by the media.

Never mind the “mob” and free press, we hope our rural police are not influenced by outdated deference, freemasonry and corruption within their ranks as has shielded so much bad media in the past. The queen’s nephew is lucky.

Nevertheless, regardless of whatever incident you are referring to, these are times when the world is at our fingertips and if the Police Crash Investigation Team are anything like ours, they live in a world of their own and are a formidable and quite unique group. Owing to the Politics of this particular crash, it is possible that their version of our Serious Crash Unit may have been deployed.

Their seemingly boundless knowledge of mathematics, trigonometry and physics with a large dash of meteorological extrapolation, combined with the psychology of both drivers and witnesses, makes for remarkable expert evaluation that stands up in court as 'expert' and will ensure an open, honest and fair verdict will be reached.

I believe they are utilising their best to appease people who will refuse to believe the verdict regardless, and the time elapsed since the accident tends to make one think they are covering all their bases.

What if the investigation finds Philip is at fault but doesn't charge him? Will the passenger try to sue him? He is not immune to civil liability.

What if the investigation finds Philip is at fault but doesn't charge him? Will the passenger try to sue him? He is not immune to civil liability.

I would imagine that should Philip be found at fault and there is no charge or compensation awarded, it would be then feasible for the passenger to file a claim in court.

The downside to this though would be, most likely, that hiring an attorney and having court costs to pursue this matter would be far too expensive to pay out of pocket. Not to mention most likely have to take off work to be in court.

I don't see it happening unless this person wants to extend her 15 minutes of fame to 30 minutes. :D

If, repeat if, Prince Phillip is found to bear the responsibility of this accident I cannot see the BRF going down the road where the driver not to mention the passenger(!) will end up in a position where they will have to go to court to seek compensation.
That would be a PR-disaster and the press would revel in the story!

I believe firmly that the BRF would far prefer this to be handled quietly to everybody's satisfaction. There is no risk of the driver or the passenger winning a lawsuit where they are awarded millions of Pounds. That's totally unrealistic.

Anyway, assuming the driver has an insurance (which may even cover the passenger a well) wouldn't it be more likely her insurance company would file a civil lawsuit against Prince Phillip?

Don't know how it works in Britain. But elsewhere salary paid out by the employer during a sick leave of an employee is usually reimbursed either through an insurance or by the local municipality.
Is there a similar system in place in Britain? If so then the employers insurance company or the municipality will seek to get their expenses covered as well.
(For example: If I am off sick for a longer period, i.e. more than a couple of weeks or so, there is a form from the municipality I need to fill out, and one of the questions is whether this is an accident and if so whether there is someone responsible for the accident - so that the municipality can file a claim to have their expenses covered.)

The reality is, even if this angry passenger takes Philip to court she does not have horrendous injuries, she can still walk, talk (more than enough) and go about an almost normal life. A broken arm is not going to get you millions, at most she would get a 5 figure payout.

I’m not sure about sick leave as far as I know there is statutory sick pay and companies may offer additional payment to this.

He can be found at fault for the accident, and not be prosecuted it happens on a daily basis. The driver is quite clearly someone who wants to stay out of the papers so I don’t see anything coming from her.

The reality is, even if this angry passenger takes Philip to court she does not have horrendous injuries, she can still walk, talk (more than enough) and go about an almost normal life. A broken arm is not going to get you millions, at most she would get a 5 figure payout.

I’m not sure about sick leave as far as I know there is statutory sick pay and companies may offer additional payment to this.

And that IMO would be extremely generous! Even is she should suffer a few percents diminished ability to use her hand.
She is after all not a surgeon, a pianist or something like that.

That's when treking down to London to be interviewed on This Morning probably hasn’t helped... she can’t be that hurt!

Back
Top Bottom