The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Somebody

Regardless she was in the car, it was not just the driver in the car period. And not for one minute do I think she ran out and contacted the tabloids, they came to her........they ask questions and she answered. Be it right or wrong is not the question for she can decide to talk or not talk to the media. And why should she not answer the questions? Is there a law that says you have to be quiet about an accident when involved in one?

Just because someone answers the questions from the media should she be accused of wanting money? And how do you know she is asking for money? Is it stated here that she has a lawsuit asking for money? Please show it to me so I can read it....
You were the one who kept referring to her as the driver. I do think it is different if you are the driver or the passenger - as the driver will have the additional question pondering in her head whether she could have avoided it. The passenger might have a sense of powerlessness but guilt is likely not in question.

Of course, the passenger is free to talk to the media. However, the consequence is that people will read her words and form an opinion both about the accident and about her. It is very likely (but not proven - I never presented it as a fact but as an option) that she was offered money to talk. If she cannot handle it (and yes, she might not have understood what she got herself into), she shouldn't talk to the tabloids - just like her friend the driver decided not to share her story while she surely was also approached by the media.

She had a choice about how to react to an accident like this one that luckily turned out quite well for everyone involved looking at the type of accident it was. I fully understand the situation must be unreal for her and I, among others, think that she is not handling it the best way but that's not to say that she isn't allowed to do so. Just that it is unwise.

Quote:
Just about everyone is trying to hang this all on her, she is the guilty one for talking to the media that came to her....so one sided opinions all over social media and forums.......look at both sides of this not just the royal side ...

I did the same as Philip a long time ago, I pulled out in front of someone and got them and me creamed in a bad accident..and boy did I pay the piper. PP is damn lucky there was no deaths and that the child was only scared.........he should be thanking his higher power for that!
That's exactly what we're doing. I don't read social media, so I don't know what is said there (and I think it's irrelevant for this discussion). But on this forum, so far I have seen people questioning how both Philip (and the royal family) and the passenger deal with the aftermath of the accident. The only one who isn't really questioned seems to be the driver.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Looks like the passenger plans to sue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...al-injury/amp/
It is interesting how she states that the duke should be treated as anybody else but that she clearly is NOT treating him like anybody else... And, if true, she is indeed after money. Would she have done exactly the same if it was a different senior citizen? And, what if the investigation shows that it was her friend who was in the wrong?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

@Somebody - she should have waited until the results of the investigation. This announcement looks like "pay up or I will drag you through the mud in court".
Old 01-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

“...that luckily turned out quite well for everyone involved...” Not really. One totaled car, and one severely damaged...one broken wrist which may prevent the passenger from working...one traumatized driver and baby.

Incidentally, it’s hard to believe the Duke wasn’t injured if he was not wearing his seat belt- he could have been thrown from the car. (And that is how you can injure others if not wearing a seat belt. You can land on someone else’s car, or you can land in the roadway, leading to another crash when someone swerves in order to miss hitting you.)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Absolutely and totally agree with you Dman, you make perfect sense here and given that the Duke is now driving without a seat belt shows he total disregard for everyone else but him......what arrogance he has is beyond belief now!
Newsflash : Royals are not perfect !
Yes the Duke is an arrogant and stubborn 97 years old man who probably terrorise his entourage and does't give a damn about the average Joe's opinion.
We are still dreaming a perfect royal family with stellar values, common touch and empathy. But let's face it these people are not like ordinary mortals, for them rules are different. Period.

I think the lady in the car symbolizes all the royal watchers who expected a "let's have some nice and cosy tea with us at Sandringham to forget all about this story". Knowing the Windsors, i mean really ? Nope, it doesn't work like this, especially for the Duke. And seeing him parading the next day with a brand new car and without a seatbelt was clearly a huge and royal middle finger pointed at all the PC in the world.
I think he's a badass, really, albeit now a dangerous one clearly in a loose cannon mode.
But again, why people seem so surprised ?
Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
“...that luckily turned out quite well for everyone involved...” Not really. One totaled car, and one severely damaged...one broken wrist which may prevent the passenger from working...one traumatized driver and baby.
Compared to the impact of the crash, yes, it turned out quite well. Nobody is in the hospital or died. I don't know anything about a traumatized driver or baby either. Of course, a broken wrist is painful and other minor injuries can also be real hindrances, but will hopefully all heal with time. Again, compared to the type of accident it could have been MUCH worse.

And cars can be replaced, lives cannot, and some accident might not be deadly but cause long term impacts in the lives of those involved and so far, that doesn't seem to be the case this time. Which is very fortunate as that wasn't a given.

Quote:
Incidentally, it’s hard to believe the Duke wasn’t injured if he was not wearing his seat belt- he could have been thrown from the car. (And that is how you can injure others if not wearing a seat belt. You can land on someone else’s car, or you can land in the roadway, leading to another crash when someone swerves in order to miss hitting you.)
As I pointed out previously, it has been said that the airbag worked, so that would suggest that he was wearing a seat belt. Or at least, the seat belt was fastened. And if he indeed wasn't (I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case), again, things could have been much worse and turned out quite well... (as far as is currently known)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

Oooh! It looks like the sharks have smelled blood and are circling!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Thanks.

The key words in that article are:
Having recently started a new job as a support worker, the newspaper, said, she is “now considering a personal injury claim after being told she could face two months off work”.

No direct quote, so it could, repeat could, smell like the answer to a leading question.
The question I ask myself, would I sue for damages in her place?
The answer is: Almost certainly.

Keep in mind that the police has not yet submitted a report about who, if any, was responsible for the accident. So the good ms. Fairweather could face the decision of whether she should sue her friend.
- But that is of course not mentioned in the article... That's not a good angle on the story.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

(eye roll) Oh please, how predictable !
Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I made a personal injury claim after my accident too. It's what lots of people do to recompense them for loss of earnings, extra expenses incurred eg taxis if you can't drive etc.

@Somebody
The man who caused my crash was a senior citizen and I'd have made my claim whoever it was. I think it was his insurance company who paid out and not him personally.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Philip WAS dazzled by the sun: New photographs show difficult driving conditions at junction where Duke of Edinburgh had his crash
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rgh-crash.html
Old 01-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I made a personal injury claim after my accident too. It's what lots of people do to recompense them for loss of earnings, extra expenses incurred eg taxis if you can't drive etc.

@Somebody
The man who caused my crash was a senior citizen and I'd have made my claim whoever it was. I think it was his insurance company who paid out and not him personally.
That makes sense. Are those things handled by the insurance companies or did you need to go to court?

I guess 'sue' could be the media's way of dramatizing the filing of a claim. It probably also works differently from country to country.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here you typically don't sue until after you have had offers and negotiations with the insurance company can't be settled. Then if you feel like you aren't being compensated fairly you go to court. But the second day after an accident...not sure how you would have already decided to sue the other party.

LaRae
Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here’s a random question: say you have a verrrry elderly parent or spouse who is still driving, although he/she has complete access to a personal driver at all times.

He/she continues to drive, and is involved in a serious but not deadly accident- doesn’t see the other car and drives in front of it.

Would you want/allow that person to continue to drive? And if you would, why?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That makes sense. Are those things handled by the insurance companies or did you need to go to court?

I guess 'sue' could be the media's way of dramatizing the filing of a claim. It probably also works differently from country to country.
I didn't go to court. My insurance company handled everything & I also had legal cover within that. I did have to provide medical & financial evidence & also go to an assessment with an orthopedic consultant, who wrote a report for the other insurance company.

I had a front passenger who was more injured than I was & I think she had to claim off my insurance, who claimed it back from the other side but I might have got that wrong. It's a long time ago so there might be details I've forgotten but I do remember the whole process took a long time.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Regarding the new pictures published by 'the Fail', showing the sun dazzled conditions at the time and location of the accident. As I understand it they will not exonerate HRH, since the law is explicit - A driver 'pulling out' into a main road MUST be certain his/her way is clear.. and it is his/her responsibility to be so...[regardless of the conditions].
Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Regarding the new pictures published by 'the Fail', showing the sun dazzled conditions at the time and location of the accident. As I understand it they will not exonerate HRH, since the law is explicit - A driver 'pulling out' into a main road MUST be certain his/her way is clear.. and it is his/her responsibility to be so...[regardless of the conditions.
It's the same here...I had someone pull out in front of me from a side road (they had a stop sign) and impact the side of my car...the police on the scene even told the girls mom (the driver was in her early 20's and her mom came to the scene from her home) it didn't matter if I was driving with my eyes closed...I had the right of way and her daughter had the stop sign.

LaRae
Old 01-20-2019, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It is interesting how she states that the duke should be treated as anybody else but that she clearly is NOT treating him like anybody else... And, if true, she is indeed after money. Would she have done exactly the same if it was a different senior citizen? And, what if the investigation shows that it was her friend who was in the wrong?
Thank you. This is exactly what I’ve been saying.

It has now been revealed that the RF have made several attempts to contact the people in the car, and they have been ignored. People are so so very quick at jumping to hideous conclusions and assuming the worst in someone, when actually what they’ve done is exactly what anyone should have done.

https://twitter.com/skyrhiannon/stat...770354690?s=21

Quote:
After claims royal family haven’t been in touch with women involved in Thursday’s crash I understand senior members of the household have been trying to make contact since yesterday. Until this morning they’d been unsuccessful but may now have made contact with one of them 1/2
https://twitter.com/skyrhiannon/stat...278560770?s=21

Quote:
Police liaison officers had passed on a message of support before asking if it was ok for the royals to make direct contact #PrincePhilip 2/2
Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

Looks like that passenger has opened up a big mess on her now. Watch the tabloids start digging for dirt on her.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

All of this could’ve been avoided. Somebody have to start using their royal brains.

A.W. TOZER