The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It works both ways. Has there been any report on this woman actually asking how Philip is doing? Or was the limelight too bright?

Can't decide which is worst. The sun glare which caused the accident or the blinding limelight that causes humanity to go out the window.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:34 AM
Serene Highness

If anyone had interviewed me after my accident, they wouldn't have been able to print the words I used about the other driver. I was injured, shocked, angry, upset & terrified about the "what ifs". Basically I was a mess for a while, which is why I feel those women are vulnerable.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm in agreement that those women had to be very visibly shook up and stunned and quite frankly, perhaps not all there. I sure wasn't. I kept asking the EMTs working on me if my dad was all right. I was driving alone and my dad had died 18 years prior to the accident. The brain can do wonderful things to protect someone when these kind of things happen sometimes.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The woman in the car basically said the royals have ignored her.
When some stupid woman bumped into the back of my car, and gave me Whiplash injuries a few years ago.. I didn't bleat on about it to her DAYS afterwards - we 'exchanged details' and left it to the insurers to sort out...
But I wasn't expecting or attempting to make Money out of it...as the Woman in this case is.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Majesty

One women had his arm broken , if it is the Mother of he 10 month child who was in the car also?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

There were 2 women and one child in the Kia. No idea on who the other lady was. I think the one who is being interviewed was the passenger.

LaRae
Old 01-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

The driver of the Kia was the mother of the child. She hurt her knee. The woman talking to the press was the passenger and she broke her wrist. The child was unharmed.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
If anyone had interviewed me after my accident, they wouldn't have been able to print the words I used about the other driver. I was injured, shocked, angry, upset & terrified about the "what ifs". Basically I was a mess for a while, which is why I feel those women are vulnerable.
Exactly.
Before pointing fingers at the women and attribute to them all kinds of negative motives, perhaps we should step back for a moment and consider this:
Are they, as Lilyflo points out, currently in a state of shock?
Have their words been blown out of proportion by the media?
Are they merely telling things as they themselves see it right now?
Have they expressed anything in regards to claiming a big compensation? That they are now more or less invalids? And so on and so on...
Do they actually have a point?

When looking at from outside the women do have a valid point IMO.
The Duke is an elderly man, who was driving on a public road at an age where most people have long since turned in their driving license or had it revoked by their doctors, or worse by the police.
After the accident there has AFAIK been no communication between the Duke, the BRF or the court and the other persons involved.
Okay, you can claim that might be for insurance reasons and advised by lawyers - and that would perhaps be acceptable, had the Duke been an ordinary person. - He isn't.
Would it have been damaging if the Duke had asked by letter or phone: How are you? And wished a full and speedy recovery.
Flowers perhaps? Chocolate?
It's not a big song and dance act that is required, but merely a gesture.
And that I think is the key in this matter!

And then while recovering from their injures and pretty shaken up and pestered by phone calls from the press, they can a couple of days later read in the papers that the Duke has got himself a brand new car (theirs is still a wreck mind you and they probably haven't even got a replacement car from their insurance company yet) and is driving around - without a seat-belt!
How do you think they would feel about that?

If I had been involved in an accident with a royal, in which my small child had been involved and in which I had been injured, I sure would have been hopping mad, if the only response I got from the from the royal family was silence.
It's a basic human reaction.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Exactly.
Before pointing fingers at the women and attribute to them all kinds of negative motives, perhaps we should step back for a moment and consider this:
Are they, as Lilyflo points out, currently in a state of shock?
Have their words been blown out of proportion by the media?
Are they merely telling things as they themselves see it right now?
Have they expressed anything in regards to claiming a big compensation? That they are now more or less invalids? And so on and so on...
Do they actually have a point?

When looking at from outside the women do have a valid point IMO.
The Duke is an elderly man, who was driving on a public road at an age where most people have long since turned in their driving license or had it revoked by their doctors, or worse by the police.
After the accident there has AFAIK been no communication between the Duke, the BRF or the court and the other persons involved.
Okay, you can claim that might be for insurance reasons and advised by lawyers - and that would perhaps be acceptable, had the Duke been an ordinary person. - He isn't.
Would it have been damaging if the Duke had asked by letter or phone: How are you? And wished a full and speedy recovery.
Flowers perhaps? Chocolate?
It's not a big song and dance act that is required, but merely a gesture.
And that I think is the key in this matter!

And then while recovering from their injures and pretty shaken up and pestered by phone calls from the press, they can a couple of days later read in the papers that the Duke has got himself a brand new car (theirs is still a wreck mind you and they probably haven't even got a replacement car from their insurance company yet) and is driving around - without a seat-belt!
How do you think they would feel about that?

If I had been involved in an accident with a royal, in which my small child had been involved and in which I had been injured, I sure would have been hopping mad, if the only response I got from the from the royal family was silence.
It's a basic human reaction.

The driver is not the one talking to the media. The passenger is..and it's not her child.

The car was brought down from Balmoral (not new that fast with the required safety features typically used by the BRF).

We don't know anything about their car situation (many folks have rental coverage too).

No seatbelt required when driving on private lands which apparently Phillip was driving on AND we can't see lap belts if he had one on.

He passed a police administered eye test yesterday.

LaRae
Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The driver is not the one talking to the media. The passenger is..and it's not her child.

The car was brought down from Balmoral (not new that fast with the required safety features typically used by the BRF).

We don't know anything about their car situation (many folks have rental coverage too).

No seatbelt required when driving on private lands which apparently Phillip was driving on AND we can't see lap belts if he had one on.

He passed a police administered eye test yesterday.

LaRae
I was describing the human reaction.

In the aftermath after an accident, you don't sit down and think rationally at what happened, how it happened and whose fault it was. Especially when you are on top of that being contacted by the media.
You don't sit thinking: Sure, I didn't get a call, because of the layers, silly me! And no get-better card either, and I'm just okay-dokey with that. No problem.

And that the Duke got an all clear from the police is pretty academic too.
So is the fact that he was driving on private property. - He was driving. Shortly after the accident. And without a seat belt. (A lap belt BTW is IMO pretty unlikely as they are next to worthless in preventing people from smashing their faces through a windscreen or against the steering wheel.)
Whether the car the Duke drove in afterwards is brand new or brought from Balmoral doesn't matter in that stage of mind. - It's still a "new" car.
Also, I doubt very much a new car was parked outside the home of the female driver a few hours later. Not considering the circumstances.
And that it wasn't her child, doesn't mean you are not scared for that child (or for that child losing its mother). Chances are the passenger was a friend or a co-worker and as such knew the child.

And again, AFAIK there has been no personal gesture from the BRF to the women involved in the accident.

It's all about emotions.

ADDED:

This is not about pointing my finger at anyone. That will have to wait for the police having finished their investigation.

It's about me objecting against attacking a woman who has just been involved in and injured in a car accident. And whose friend was also injured. That her friend's child was unhurt is great, but the child could very well have been injured. It's quite a shocker! For anyone.
So I think we should give the women the benefit of doubt before labeling them "compensation hunters" and worse...

That I personally feel that PR-wise the BRF could have handled this much better is another matter.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

I've been in a few accidents (none determined to be my fault) ..one of them fairly serious. So yes I know all about the emotions ..however I was not that out of it where I was unable to determine rational thought the day after. Regardless if the media approached the passenger...she made the choice to do the interview. The optics for the passenger are not great and quite frankly most folks would consider her actions to be questionable to suspect.

I've had a rental car the same day as an accident happened....just depends on how fast everything is done...next day is fairly common.

There's no reason the DoE shouldn't be driving after the accident. There's no law saying you have to wait X days to drive..he was cleared by the doctors and whatever police testing needed to be done. The lap belt issue was raised earlier that the BRF have been known to use them. Even if he was not wearing one..so what, private property doesn't require them therefore I don't understand the outrage. The only reason you care about optics is because the media is quick to jump on this and make a to-do about it. Stop getting sucked into media narrative.

We also don't know about personal contact by the representatives of the BRF. The passenger hasn't said there has been no contact..just that the DoE has not apologized...based on what I have read and to be honest I don't trust that the media is reporting anything accurately. It doesn't make sense for the BRF (their PR) to have lied about contacting someone to see if they were okay. We have not heard from the driver.

You can say you aren't pointing fingers..but you are.

LaRae
Old 01-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
This is becoming a mess that Olivia Pope from Scandal couldn't "handle". And the police didn't acquit itself by letting Philip off with a warning. And when the results of the investigation are published - and it clears Philip - will the public have confidence in the findings or will it believe the royals leaned on the police to exonerate him?
That was my thought as well at first but later I figured that the police most likely cannot fine people based on pictures in the media. I assume they need to observe it themselves in person or via approved methods (such as speed cameras) to be able to fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen is above the law. She doesn't have a licence and yet has been allowed to drive on UK roads since she became Queen. She doesn't have a passport and yet is able to travel freely around the world.

They wear lap belts I believe on many occasions.
Maybe they can change that in the next reign. I don't believe other heads of states have these weird perks. I guess other countries don't think it is worth the turmoil but why should they accept someone into their country who does not possess a valid travel document...
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Majesty

This is crazy. The elderly gentleman who helped PP out of the car said he was shocked and shakey and disoriented. No surprise there. After about ten minutes he went over to ask if everyone was all right in the Kia.

Hardly the callous, privileged man some have been accusing him of being. The helper said he had checked the Kia first and the driver and front seat passenger were being tended to by other passers-by so he and another man got the baby out of the car because it was smokey. Then he went to check out the Range Rover.

In all the interviews with those first on the scene, no one mentioned the screamer which would surprise me. The Police asked them not to discuss the accident, presumably because the drivers of both cars had been in no state to give a statement. It seems the lure of the DM was too much for the passenger in the Kia.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Well of course she thinks it’s his fault - he’s the husband of the Queen. The press aren’t going to be interested in paying for a story “I almost killed the Duke of Edinburgh”.

As for not talking about the accident, maybe the police want to actually investigate what happened and come to an objective conclusion without “facts” getting muddied by misinformation - deliberate or not.
She didn't even drive. So far, it sems the driver who was also the mother of the baby is not talkinh to the media. Only her friend who happened to be in the car with her and whom unfortunately broke her wrist/arm due to the accident.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
This is crazy. The elderly gentleman who helped PP out of the car said he was shocked and shakey and disoriented. No surprise there. After about ten minutes he went over to ask if everyone was all right in the Kia.

Hardly the callous, privileged man some have been accusing him of being. The helper said he had checked the Kia first and the driver and front seat passenger were being tended to by other passers by so he and another man got the baby out of the car because it was smokey. Then he went to check out the Range Rover.

In all the interviews with those first on the scene no one mentioned the screamer which would surprise me. The Police asked them not to discuss the accident, presumably because the drivers of both cars had been in no state to give a statement. It seems the lure of the DM was too much for the the passenger in the Kia.

Amazing how the media is now ignoring all this.

LaRae
Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just a second, Pranter.

It's the guilt question I am not pointing my finger at, and that I made clear in my previous post.
I am however pointing my finger at how this has been handled PR-wise. And that I still do.
I also question how wise it is to drive basically right after the accident. Even if it's "to get back in the saddle." Even if it is on private ground and even if it is legal to drive without a seat belt in private land.
The Duke is not a normal senior citizen and he will not be treated as such. The public verdict is much harder, because he is supposed to be a role model in everything he does. - It's no different for him than it would be for any other royal in that respect.

Okay, the finger business out of the way. I'm glad you recovered well from your accidents. However, I doubt you had a crash with one of the most well-known persons in your country and that you as a consequence of that would have the press knocking at your door within hours. - That I imagine, would have a tendency to disturb any rational reflections you have...
I will also quietly point out that most people are very rarely involved in unexpected accidents where they are injured more than a few times during their entire lives and as such most tend to be a less than rational for a period after.

As for my outrage... Well, let's turn things around a little.
I do not feel an urge to point my finger at the passenger, who is speaking to the press and explaining what, in her opinion, happened. There is no law preventing her from doing that, is there?
She is, in contrast to the Duke, unlikely to have a PR-staff or trained lawyers advising her IMO.

So suggesting (as has been done here and elsewhere )that she (and the driver) is out to get attention, to profit from "telling her story" or that she is angling for as large a compensation as possible is IMO too harsh!
At present at least.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Still, it's interesting that she talks and the actual driver does not. So, that clearly was a possibility... And she is not just sharing what happened but also tries to gain sympathy by explaining how hard her life is. Of course, an accident is quite a shock and even more confusing when the other party happens to be a famous person but it would have been much better had she taken the advice given and processed all that happened with her friends and family instead of with the media.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Yes despite the palace claiming that Philip was in contact with them one of the women has said it's not true and that they haven't even had so much as an apology.
An apology means taking the blame and as yet fault has not been legally determined. The BRF learned from Diana’s death-do not let the media dictate your reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
They just need to get ahead of it. I am not surprised the woman is talking because the press are in her face making it easy. Prince Philip driving around without a seatbelt and being talked to by the police is not helping matters either. The whole things is a bit of a mess.
Of course the police talked to Philip!! I’m sure they talked to the women in the other car as well. They are investigating an accident. It is not a negative reflection on Philip.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Serene Highness

It looks like it was a public road where the DoE was photographed without a seat belt. There are a couple of maps on the DM of his route where he was snapped. Google maps lets you travel on the same roads so they aren't private. They don't become inaccessible until you get to the gates of the private part of the Sandringham estate. Personally, I don't care whether he wears a seat belt or not but he's silly to be seen flouting the law, especially now.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It looks like it was a public road where the DoE was photographed without a seat belt. There are a couple of maps on the DM of his route where he was snapped. Google maps lets you travel on the same roads so they aren't private. They don't become inaccessible until you get to the gates of the private part of the Sandringham estate. Personally, I don't care whether he wears a seat belt or not but he's silly to be seen flouting the law, especially now.
Can you see he was not wearing a lap belt?