The Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving and Carriage Procession: June 5, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can!t understand the Queen!s own children not being there

The fly-past just started.
First planes: a Dakota flanked by two King Air aircraft.
They were followed by a Lancaster, Spitfires, and a Hurricane.
And finally, the Red Arrows! Perfect red, white and blue. :)

If Edward, Sophie and the children have gone to visit his father then I think any hopes of a last minute "Oh, bring them all out" have gone :(

It's such a shame that Lady Louise had to sit through the long service (no doubt extremely boring for a youngster!) and then isn't getting the fun of being out on the balcony.

If Edward, Sophie and the children have gone to visit his father then I think any hopes of a last minute "Oh, bring them all out" have gone :(

It's such a shame that Lady Louise had to sit through the long service (no doubt extremely boring for a youngster!) and then isn't getting the fun of being out on the balcony.
:previous:
Richard Palmer 's Twitter account:
Prince Edward is visiting Prince Philip in hospital in London at the moment, according to reporters at the King Edward VII Hospital.

And the royals are on the balcony!
The cheers are quite deafening. :)

It's a bit weird seeing so few members of the Royal Family up there though.

Much smaller in number than previous balcony appearances!

The Queen appears to be delighted.
They are all positively beaming.

Much smaller in number than previous balcony appearances!
It's been said that during this particular event, the Queen wanted the focus to be on her immediate successor (Prince Charles) and his family.

the Queen wanted the focus to be on her immediate successor (Prince Charles) and his family

It's indeed very clear ...

HM looked very happy and pleased with the reception on the balcony. She was positively beaming.

Jemma Samuel explained on Twitter what really happened with her flub during the service of thanksgiving.

@jemmasamuel: David Cameron forgot to turn the page, hense why I got my reading wrong

That's why she was lost, because she had to find the correct page. Now I'm even more impressed with how well she recovered.

The Queen appears to be delighted.
They are all positively beaming.

It's been said that during this particular event, the Queen wanted the focus to be on her immediate successor (Prince Charles) and his family.

The next generation,that makes sense.

Elly C said:
I can!t understand the Queen!s own children not being there

This is the start of the view of the official party in a King Charles reign. It has been talked about for awhile. He wants it down and this is sort of the phasing in of the furrier. You have now seen the NEW royal family.

What an amazing end to the Diamond Jubilee! The carriage procession was very nice and the crowds were unbelievable! I so wish I could have been there. I feel prouder of my Queen today than I have ever been before and truly believe that Elizabeth II is perhaps the greatest person of the modern era :ausstandard::ausflag::flowers:

I was a tad disappointed that the carriage procession was only 2 carriages strong and I felt disappointed that her whole family was not really included in the celebrations on the balcony and through the procession. I still am in awe of the amazing event that was a more than fitting tribute to our remarkable sovereign, but I really felt as if the Princess Royal, Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children should have also taken part - especially as you could see everyone behind the Queen craning for a look out onto the Mall. I think this would have given the occasion a bit more of the gravitas it deserved - I know that a King Charles is supposed to be all about a stream-lined royal family but it was the Queen's Day and it was about celebrating her, not what is to come, so I'm not sure what they were trying to say by only having Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry as part of the celebrations.

Nevertheless I think the Jubilee has been remarkable and I will treasure my memories of it - even if they are from the couch:lol:

This is the start of the view of the official party in a King Charles reign. It has been talked about for awhile. He wants it down and this is sort of the phasing in of the furrier. You have now seen the NEW royal family.
This nothing new I think King George VI had balcony appearance with just his wife and daughters. :flowers:

What an amazing end to the Diamond Jubilee! The carriage procession was very nice and the crowds were unbelievable! I so wish I could have been there. I feel prouder of my Queen today than I have ever been before and truly believe that Elizabeth II is perhaps the greatest person of the modern era :ausstandard::ausflag::flowers:

I was a tad disappointed that the carriage procession was only 2 carriages strong and I felt disappointed that her whole family was not really included in the celebrations on the balcony and through the procession. I still am in awe of the amazing event that was a more than fitting tribute to our remarkable sovereign, but I really felt as if the Princess Royal, Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children should have also taken part - especially as you could see everyone behind the Queen craning for a look out onto the Mall. I think this would have given the occasion a bit more of the gravitas it deserved - I'm not sure what they were trying to say by only having Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry as part of the celebrations.

Nevertheless I think the Jubilee has been remarkable and I will treasure my memories of it - even if they are from the couch:lol:

The Queen has said all along,that she only wanted the Airs to the Throne, Aka Prince Of Wales and his family On The Balcony.

The Balcony

Why were so few of the royals on the balcony - would have thought that this would have been a perfect opportunity to see the children and grandchildren? What was the reason for choosing only 1 son and 2 grandchildren. I'm confused and a bit disappointed

The Queen has said all along,that she only wanted the Airs to the Throne, Aka Prince Of Wales and his family On The Balcony.

Can someone provide some source of this? I've only heard if this "Royal Family lite" concept in connection to Charles's accession. I simply think that on such a grand occasion such as this it was a tiny bit of a let down to see six of them on the balcony, that's all.

I hate that too I know Kate probably doesn't but she will be Queen one day. I glad that Duchess of Cambridge is becoming more common now. :)

I Am Glad she is too. I just Wish The American Magazine's Would Get It Right. Like They Get The Duchess Of Cornwall Right. Why Not Kate!!!

I'm not sure what they were trying to say by only having Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry as part of the celebrations.

Well the sign is clear : the next reign is getting irremediably closer. We are now in a transition phase.
How brillant it was, these celebrations had, imo, a far more serious and grave aspect than the joyous golden jubilee. The absence of the DOE and the sometimes exhausted figure of the Queen didn't help to dissipate the sad feeling that we're now seeing the final phase of Elizabeth II 's reign.

Well the sign is clear : the next reign is getting irremediably closer. We are now in a transition phase.
How brillant it was, these celebrations had, imo, a far more serious and grave aspect than the joyous golden jubilee. The absence of the DOE and the sometimes exhausted figure of the Queen didn't help to dissipate the sad feeling that we're now seeing the final phase of Elizabeth II 's reign.

I thought Her Majesty looked VERY tired today....

Why were so few of the royals on the balcony - would have thought that this would have been a perfect opportunity to see the children and grandchildren? What was the reason for choosing only 1 son and 2 grandchildren. I'm confused and a bit disappointed
The entire Royal Family has been out in force for all the previous occasions, from Pageant, to today's Thanksgiving Service. This balcony appearance, however, was about continuity and succession; as such, Her Majesty saw it fit that only her Heir (Prince Charles) and his family were present.

Come Trooping the Colour, we'll see a more familiar Buckingham Palace balcony - with all the children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins present. :)

I thought Her Majesty looked VERY tired today....
Which is only understandable.
The exhausting Pageant in dreadful conditions, followed by her husband being hospitalised, followed by a late night concert she felt compelled to attend (not to disappoint the hundreds of thousands who had gathered), followed by today's action-packed events. Even someone much younger would have looked tired (and indeed, all the younger royals did), but for a 86-year-old woman, Her Majesty looked pretty relaxed and composed.

Do you know this is the one thing that really annoys me....

Kate Middleton, Prince William Salute Queen Elizabeth II at Service of Thanksgiving - UsMagazine.com

The fact that over a year since their wedding The Duchess Of Cambridge is still been called Kate Middleton in the American Tabloids

Well, is the Middleton part that annoys you? I don't see why as British papers do this as well, and futher more they still call The Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of York, and The Late Diana,Princess of Wales by their former names as well... seems not too much of a big deal. She has been Kate Middleton for 28 an half years, and the later for only one...seems natural.

Last edited:
Which is only understandable.
The exhausting Pageant in dreadful conditions, followed by her husband being hospitalised, followed by a late night concert she felt compelled to attend (not to disappoint the hundreds of thousands who had gathered), followed by today's action-packed events. Even someone much younger would have looked tired (and indeed, all the younger royals did), but for a 86-year-old woman, Her Majesty looked pretty relaxed and composed.

With the concert,she had to attend in order to light the final beacon of the jubilee to be lit. we couldn't have Prince Charles or Another Royal Doing it,Cos it's not their Jubilee Celebrations.

Whilst I get the comments about this signalling a new era , so much of the jubilee celebrations have been about celebrating the 60 years. Now the Queen!s children have been at the centre of things throughout much of her reign, so I would have thought they should have shared the balcony appearance too. But hey ho it has been a terrific four days.

Can someone provide some source of this? I've only heard if this "Royal Family lite" concept in connection to Charles's accession. I simply think that on such a grand occasion such as this it was a tiny bit of a let down to see six of them on the balcony, that's all.

Isn't this part of the Way Ahead strategy, the downsizing of the Royal Family to the immediate heirs? It still would have been nice to see HM's other children there, though, for what is an historic event and celebrating the Queen's accomplishments of the past 60 years. A second appearance with her other children and grandchildren would have been lovely to see, especially if this is no longer being done.

Last edited:
I agree they look tired. I've thought Prince William looked tired and stressed for a lot of the weekend. It must be hard to work the hours he does, sometimes till the last shift before then to hurry back to London (or wherever) to make an appearance. He just seemed to have a lot on his mind, even during the flotilla, before his grandfather became ill.

I agree they look tired. I've thought Prince William looked tired and stressed for a lot of the weekend. It must be hard to work the hours he does, sometimes till the last shift before then to hurry back to London (or wherever) to make an appearance. He just seemed to have a lot on his mind, even during the flotilla, before his grandfather became ill.

I might be wrong with this, but i think he has to decide by the end of the year whether to continue in the RAF or Commit Fully to the Royal Family.

Back
Top Bottom