The Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving and Carriage Procession: June 5, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Warren said:
The National Service of Thanksgiving
to Celebrate the Diamond Jubilee
of Her Majesty The Queen

pages 1-11
(page 3 blank)

☼ ☼ ☼

Here is a copy from the service from earlier in this thread! Sorry it did not transfer ad well ad I would like. It is from page one by Warren.

I think chelly means an order of service for the event, but I'm not sure :)

Tea-n-tiaras, you seem to have a problem with Camilla and her position in the family. The responses have disagreed with you; no more than that. There was some discussion in the press about how Camilla's role has changed over the last 10 years; but its tone was actually pretty positive.

Your suggestion that Clarence House has somehow pushed the Queen into letting Camilla sit beside the Queen or to exclude the rest of the family on the balcony, underestimates entirely the position and power of the Queen. The fact is she decided to have Camilla in the carriage with her; she decided to limit the balcony appearance to her heir and his family, she wanted it that way. If the Queen was comfortable with that who are we to take offence on her behalf?

As to bringing up controversy during the Diamond Jubilee, your post was the only one that did that. I saw no press coverage saying that Camilla should not have been in that carriage and I saw only positive coverage on the decision to limit the number of royals on the balcony. On the whole, the Jubilee went off beautifully, barring obviously the absence of Prince Philip.

A good ettiquette book, that will teach you to expression your opinion, in a non offensive way, might be in order.

A good ettiquette book, that will teach you to expression your opinion, in a non offensive way, might be in order.

Presumably this is aimed at me? Thanks for the advice; it's not at all offensive to tell someone that they need to look up an etiquette book to see how to behave.

I think chelly means an order of service for the event, but I'm not sure :)

Sorry for the confusion I meant video of the whole service. At first I wrote youtube but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate so I deleted it.

Diamond Jubilee 2012: Queen returns to Buckingham Palace in 1902 horse-drawn carriage | Mail Online

This is one of the articles I read along with the comments readers submitted. I wouldn't pretend to be a Camilla fan. And to be honest seeing her next to The Queen in that setting and on that occasion was jarring to me, as, I adore The Queen and was tuned in to see The Queen. For me, it was a little like a bout of acid reflux in the midst of a pleasant dessert. But, I don't hold Camilla alone responsible for all of the "unpleasantness" that went on in the 80's and 90's. I accept that she is there and part of the family. From the polls I have read, I don't think that the British public is particularly thrilled with her. I think they accept the fact that she is there. They seem more resigned to her presence. I think their enthusiasm for the future really lies with William and Catherine. And, from watching through the years, I believe that the Queen has come to accept her. And I think the palaces have become much more PR savvy and are trying to bolster her acceptance.
I do not understand why people continue to insist that I am saying the Queen is being pushed around. I think the Queen is in a position of authority and that her son, the PoW lobbies his mother for what he would like to see occur. I mean we have gone from the Queen not letting Camilla near her in public to the Jubilee procession. I think the Queen listens to her son. I think the Queen is very astute and realizes if the monarchy is to be in favor with the public she has to be seen to publicly accept Camilla. I think her decisions are based on personal and pragmatic reasons. I just wished they hadn't placed Camilla in the spotlight so prominently in the procession. I thought it detracted from Her Majesty. I am also certain that this was a last minute decision as no one expected Prince Philip to be absent. In retrospect, I would have liked to see a different arrangement. And, if I had been on the Camilla side of the street I wouldn't even have been able to see the Queen through Camilla's giant hat. ;-) (And, I am not saying I disliked her hat - it was lovely - just large.)

I have read many comments on the "streamlined" balcony appearance that felt the balcony looked empty and that they would have preferred to see the Queen surrounded by her family. And I know that the PoW is a big supporter of streamlining the British Royal Family. So, I naturally see his influence at work. I don't think that translates into the PoW "pushing" the Queen around. We are all influenced by the people around us. That doesn't mean they are pushing us around.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion I meant video of the whole service. At first I wrote youtube but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate so I deleted it.

If you type Diamond Jubilee Thanksgiving into youtube you'll get a variety of videos, the entire event hasn't been posted anywhere.

I think their enthusiasm for the future really lies with William and Catherine.

My opinion, as a british subject is that personally I don't like William and Catherine, I think they're incredibly boring and lacklustre and show no real desire for royal life at all.

I mean we have gone from the Queen not letting Camilla near her in public to the Jubilee procession.

Between the marriage in 2005 and right now, where has there ever been a suggestion that the Queen herself said she didn't want Camilla anywhere near her in public?

I thought it detracted from Her Majesty. I am also certain that this was a last minute decision as no one expected Prince Philip to be absent.

It seems like it is you who is ruining the occasion for yourself, you've taken it upon yourself to highlight in your own mind Camilla sitting in that position when you could have just ignored it and focused on The Queen. It was a last minute decision, hence the original arrangement of three carriages instead of two.

And, if I had been on the Camilla side of the street I wouldn't even have been able to see the Queen through Camilla's giant hat. ;-) (And, I am not saying I disliked her hat - it was lovely - just large.)

I believe Camilla's hat was the same size and HM's just a different style, something Camilla has adopted from HM is that the public like to see their royals so hats with upturned edges are a very good idea.

And I know that the PoW is a big supporter of streamlining the British Royal Family. So, I naturally see his influence at work.

Actually, Charles has never actually admitted he wants to streamline the royal family, this appeared from the press and stories about Beatrice and Eugenie, it was The Queen's decision to make the balcony appearance as it was and I am under no impression she was lobbied by anyone. If she doesn't like something, she won't do it. We know this from the numerous personal interviews we've seen these past two years

I don't think that Charles (or Clarence House for that matter) lobbied the Queen about anything to do with the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember reading in various places that over the winter holidays, the BRF has a meeting of what is called the Way Ahead committee which consists of members of the BRF and their advisers. (A brief guide to the British monarchy) This family does not do anything willy nilly and everything is planned well in advance. One reason they were able to pull off the huge funeral for Diana, Princess of Wales in such a short time is that they used the plans that had been set in motion and in fact practiced for the Queen Mother's funeral. They were able to adapt.

I think the reason for the seating in the carriage procession that really made the best sense to me was the one that Jack gave. Common courtesy that both the Queen and Camilla faced forward in the carriage.

You know, I think I'm an odd one, I loved the carriage procession but hated the balcony layout, and they were exactly the same!

If you type Diamond Jubilee Thanksgiving into youtube you'll get a variety of videos, the entire event hasn't been posted anywhere.

It seems like it is you who is ruining the occasion for yourself, you've taken it upon yourself to highlight in your own mind Camilla sitting in that position when you could have just ignored it and focused on The Queen. It was a last minute decision, hence the original arrangement of three carriages instead of two.

I believe Camilla's hat was the same size and HM's just a different style, something Camilla has adopted from HM is that the public like to see their royals so hats with upturned edges are a very good idea.

Actually, Charles has never actually admitted he wants to streamline the royal family, this appeared from the press and stories about Beatrice and Eugenie, it was The Queen's decision to make the balcony appearance as it was and I am under no impression she was lobbied by anyone. If she doesn't like something, she won't do it. We know this from the numerous personal interviews we've seen these past two years

Agreed. I had to choose to just focus on The Queen. And go on enjoying Her Majesty.

As to the hats, I think the pictures and a ruler say it all.

As, to the Press. Well, most of what we "know" about the Royal Family comes through press reports. Yes, there are scattered personal interviews with family/or insiders, but they don't really reveal to the world the inner workings of their private family life. The interviews are in and of themselves carefully crafted PR. And, that's OK by me.

Last edited:
I don't think that Charles (or Clarence House for that matter) lobbied the Queen about anything to do with the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember reading in various places that over the winter holidays, the BRF has a meeting of what is called the Way Ahead committee which consists of members of the BRF and their advisers. (A brief guide to the British monarchy) This family does not do anything willy nilly and everything is planned well in advance. One reason they were able to pull off the huge funeral for Diana, Princess of Wales in such a short time is that they used the plans that had been set in motion and in fact practiced for the Queen Mother's funeral. They were able to adapt.

Yes, I read that the Way Ahead Committee was put into place after the debacle that was the 90's. Agreed that this family does not do anything willy nilly. The Queen actually chairs a committee to advise her on how the monarchy should move ahead. Would that be pushing her around? ;-)
Is the PoW on this committee?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I read that the Way Ahead Committee was put into place after the debacle that was the 90's. Agreed that this family does not do anything willy nilly. The Queen actually chairs a committee to advise her on how the monarchy should move ahead. Would that be pushing her around? ;-)

Is the PoW on this committee?

I believe the committee is made up of the senior members of the royal family so most assuredly Charles is in on it. Actually if I'm not mistaken, as this is a committee that is family based, it is Philip that chairs the meeting and also includes Anne, Andrew and Edward. Its well known that when it comes to family matters, Philip rules the roost.

In effect, I think everything that we saw during the Jubilee celebrations was well planned out in advance with purpose in mind. Philip's illness was unexpected yet I think the changes that needed to be made were wisely chosen and most likely had Philip's stamp of approval from his hospital room.

I have seen leader pieces in several of the traditional pro-monarchy papers praising the reduced family dynamic. In the DM, the Telegraph and the Times the move has been strongly supported. Like it or not, most of HM's family are seen as 'hanger-on' which is unfair but is never going to change. The comments at the bottom of DM articles should never be used as any kind of barometer as to the feelings of the British people. Many of those people are at best loopers, at worst racist, sexist and libellous trolls.

Whomever sat next to the Queen would by definition be sharing her limelight. Had Harry accompanied the Queen all the speculation would've been that the Queen didn't want to sit with her son and daughter-in-law. There was no doubt, however, that even Elvis rising from the dead would not have taken away from the Queen on that day.

Many of those people are at best loopers

What is a 'looper'? :confused:

There was no doubt, however, that even Elvis rising from the dead would not have taken away from the Queen on that day.

Now on this I have to disagree. :p

P.S. Question: Why does this thread not appear on the side roll as an active thread? I've noticed that with all the Jubilee Threads - one has to actually go into the British Royals section in order to see if there are new posts. Any reason for the threads not showing up, anyone know?

Last edited:
What is a 'looper'? :confused:

Fruit loop, loopy I believe.:flowers:

P.S. Question: Why does this thread not appear on the side roll as an active thread? I've noticed that with all the Jubilee Threads - one has to actually go into the British Royals section in order to see if there are new posts. Any reason for the threads not showing up, anyone know?

I think it's the same reason as the wedding threads, because this has it's own section which I imagine was set up in haste not all the right dots were connected. :flowers:

Please note that several off topic posts have been deleted.

Hey I guess its quite late..but a question..

In Golden Jubilee Thanksgiving Service, all royals were wearing uniforms, and the Prince of Wales and The Princess Royal even rode behind the Queen.
Why was it not the same for this Thanksgiving? Is it a different type of Jubilee Thanksgiving or something?
Even if they wanted procession, they could have gone in uniforms. They could have rode to St Pauls on horses and come back in carriages..

I guess The Queen decided to scale down her Diamond Jubliee. I too thought there would be a grand Jubliee Thanksgiving Service with the crown heads of Europe attending, a State Reception/Dinner at Buckingham Palace and a official royal family portraits released but everything seemed to be scaled down compared to the Golden Jubliee. I think that was done due to the economic crises.

Now there are events coming up to help celebrate the 60th Anniversary of The Queen's Coronation this year. I think there will be a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminister's Abbey.

I did like that The Queen put the focus on the main senior royals during her Jubliee last year. The media and others had thought The Cambridges and Prince Harry would be put in the background to allow The Queen to shine during her Jubilee year but she decided to put them in the mian focus and I thought that was a brillant idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom