The Diamond Jubilee Luncheon and Dinner for the World's Monarchs: May 18, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be really surprised if any foreign royals attend the service at St Pauls. The cathedral will be full of officials and representatives of some of the charities that the RF have relationships with.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference and the respect one royal personage holds for another. If I remember correctly there is a video clip on ITN Source showing the Queen of Denmark curtseying to Queen Elizabeth II whilst simultaneously kissing her hand. This happened at Windsor during a ceremonial welcoming for an inward state visit from Denmark in early 2000.

Camilla, Kate and Charlene are now very much royals, by marriage.
The protocol is actually pretty simple (for most European countries):

- Camilla has to curtsey to all those who are of higher rank than she is. That includes all Monarchs and their spouses (such as King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway), as well as Heirs Apparent to the Throne (such as Crown Princess Victoria or Prince Felipe). She doesn't have to curtsey to wives of other Crown Princess (such as Crown Princess Maxima) because they are her equals. Everyone else has to curtsey to Camilla.

- Kate has to curtsey to all those who are of higher rank. That includes all Monarchs and their spouses (such as Prince Albert and Charlene), all Crown Princes and their spouses (such as Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit), all younger sons of a Monarch and their spouses (such as Prince Laurent and Princess Claire of Belgium), the Monarch's daughters (such as Princess Anne), and sometimes the Monarch's grandsons (but not their wives).

- Charlene only has to curtsey to Monarchs (such as Queen Elizabeth) but not their spouses (such as Prince Philip) who are her equals.

I am completely at a loss why would Charlene curtsey to Charles and Camilla, why Camilla wouldn't curtsey to Charlene and Albert, but would curtsey to Crown Princesses of Romania and Thailand, and why Kate curtseyed to the Duke of Gloucester. Basically, as someone mentioned in this thread, those rules aren't carved in stone and royals have relative freedom of choice. Mostly, they are guided by common sense and respect; it would be quite preposterous, for example, to expect Kate to curtsey to Prince Christian of Denmark should they meet antimony soon, although the boy does outrank Kate at this point.

Charlene chose to curtsey to Charles and Camilla out of respect, same as Kate and Duke of Gloucester, or Camilla and Crown Princess of Thailand.
Alternatively, there might have been so many royals around that female royals got a bit confused and just decided to curtsey to everyone to be on the safe side.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference and the respect one royal personage holds for another. If I remember correctly there is a video clip on ITN Source showing the Queen of Denmark curtseying to Queen Elizabeth II whilst simultaneously kissing her hand. This happened at Windsor during a ceremonial welcoming for an inward state visit from Denmark in early 2000.
I agree that sometimes personal preference is the crucial factor, although royals do try to follow protocol rules, at least between themselves.
However, it would surprise me no end if Margrethe II of Denmark - a Queen Regnant - would curtsey to Elizabeth II, and especially kiss her hand (unless it was meant as a joke). I might have understood if another Queen - a Queen Consort - did that (it would actually be in line with protocol since a Queen Regnant outranks a Queen Consort), but Margrethe?

^^^^^
What might have looked like a curtsey may have been the result of their difference in height.

I agree that sometimes personal preference is the crucial factor, although royals do try to follow protocol rules, at least between themselves.
However, it would surprise me no end if Margrethe II of Denmark - a Queen Regnant - would curtsey to Elizabeth II, and especially kiss her hand (unless it was meant as a joke). I might have understood if another Queen - a Queen Consort - did that (it would actually be in line with protocol since a Queen Regnant outranks a Queen Consort), but Margrethe?

A newbie question - would Queen Margarethe have curtsied to QEII because of Queen Elizabeth's seniority (even though they are both Queen Regnant - the kiss of the hand would signify that, perhaps ) or as NGalitzine said - it's got nothing to do with protocol but differences in height :unsure:

A newbie question - would Queen Margarethe have curtsied to QEII because of Queen Elizabeth's seniority (even though they are both Queen Regnant - the kiss of the hand would signify that, perhaps ) or as NGalitzine said - it's got nothing to do with protocol but differences in height :unsure:

What seniority does Queen Elizabeth have over Margrethe? Other than 20 years more of service that is.

If she curtseyed it was out of respect perhaps, but I think it was height difference.

As far as I can remember, Queen Margrethe has never curtseyed to Queen Elizabeth. Clearly, whenever they have met, QM has had to bend down to kiss QE because of the obvious height difference and bending down in such a way cannot possibly be miscontrude as being a curtsey.

Since international protocol holds that Heads of State rank in the order that they took office, Queen Elizabeth does hold a precedence over Queen Margrethe. In fact, Queen Elizabeth holds precedence over all Heads of State but one - King Bhumibol of Thailand, who ascended to the Throne 6 years earlier. However, that precedence would only manifest itself in sitting arrangements, and similar situations.

Woman to woman, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe have equal ranks. Protocol rules dictate that Heads of States, whether elected or hereditary, do not bow or curtsey to each other. Sometimes, male Heads of State chose to bow to female ones out of respect, but that's about it. I am inclined to agree with NGalitzine and Lumutqueen; what appeared to be a bow was just Queen Margrethe leaning to Queen Elizabeth because of their height difference.

sorry if posted before....

almost all of the world's royal families attended the Diamond Jubilee lunch (18 May 2012)

Jubilee monarchs' lunch: the full guest list - Telegraph

but Princess Anne seemed to be missing

also representatives from the Kingdoms of Spain, Bhutan and Cambodia (as well as the Sultanate of Oman) seemed to be missing....

also, how to monarchs greet each other? "Your Majesty" to "Your Majesty" ..or just...hi "Binky" its been so long....the weather's horrible isnt it?

thanks!

I noticed that the world's attending monarchs (18 reigning and 3 non-reigning) were seated/standing (in the first two rows) in strict seniority order according to the date of the their assumption of the throne....

however, I do not understand why the King of Tonga (albeit the most junior monarch having assumed his throne in March of 2012) is standing in the last row with mere princes/princesses...he should in the second row next to the King of Malaysia

Jubilee monarchs' lunch: the full guest list - Telegraph

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom