Sisters of the Duke of Edinburgh

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since 2013, yes. But when Prince Charles was single, no - although if she'd converted to Protestantism then presumably it would have been OK.

I feel it could be mislabelled as she's carrying what looks like flowers in it (a bridal bouquet?) , I will do some more checking. I do seem to recall reading somewhere that Prince Philip attended her 2nd wedding in 1946.

But appreciate that they probably did recycle outfits in those austere times.

To me she seems to be wearing a different piece underneath her dress and a different hat; also with slightly different flowers.

Philip used the Allied army to get the transport to end up at Sophie's wedding, but is there a record of whether he stayed in uniform for the ceremony or changed into a civilian suit? Perhaps a British uniform wouldn't have been the most tactful thing at the wedding...?

I am new and have just read this interesting thread.

So much has been said about royal bonds and relations, concerning Prince Philip's sisters.
Times and moods were very different from today's. One fact struck me a little, Margaritas's husband Gottfried was once engaged with Gloria Vanderbilt who was although connected romantically to the then Prince of Wales.
So M. was not his first choice and though Gloria had been expected to bring a fortune to Gottfried's little town but huge castle after the break-up of the engagement he was lucky enough to find Margareta.
And somebody mentioned M. was not ready to convert for a catholic prince before Gottfried's proposal, but finally did when she married Gottfried as his house is protestant which is a much bigger thing than converting from orthodox to catholic church.
They had a love match finally.
Yes Margarita was once interested in an Isenburg Prince, but didn’t want to convert to Catholicism. Prince Gottfried was briefly engaged to Gloria Morgan Vanderbilt (Gloria Vanderbilt’s mother (Anderson’s mother) ).

Considering the age difference and by 7 he was at school in the UK and living with his grandmother (and Uncles) he wasn't likely close to any. But Sophie and Cecile are closest in age (7 and 10 older) so likely closest. No surprise he is very close to the Mountbattan cousins He and David (his father George was Philip's guardian) were 2 years apart. He went to naval college with Philip and was his best man. Sisterly he likely closer to Louis' daughters. Unfortunately due to his mother's hospitalization and dad's estrangement, Philip was basically raised a Mountbatten, and that bond reflects later in his and his kids' lives. Iver (David's son) is Louise's godfather and of Charles/Louis/Knatchbulls is well known.

He did spend 2 terms at school in Germany thanks to his BIl Berthold (Theodora's husband) but with the rise of Naziism he moved back, the head of his German school founded Gordonstoun. Not sure if he would have seen her at all while in Germany. Berthold was one of 2 Nazi BILs.
Berthold of Baden was no Nazi.

Yes Margarita was once interested in an Isenburg Prince, but didn’t want to convert to Catholicism. Prince Gottfried was briefly engaged to Gloria Morgan Vanderbilt (Gloria Vanderbilt’s mother (Anderson’s mother) ).

The Prince was Prince Francois Ferdinand of Isenburg-Birstein. He and Margarita met in 1926. He was Catholic.

Back
Top Bottom