The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2021, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It was Thelma Furness that was involved with David (Edward VIII). She was aunt to Gloria Vanderbilt and great aunt to Anderson Cooper (CNN). Thelma also introduced Wallis Simpson to David. We know how that ended.
There were two Gloria Vanderbilts. The elder was twin sister to Lady Furness as the Morgan girls, involved with Friedel Hohenlohe, Nada Milford Haven, and the famous custody trial for her daughter, "Little Gloria" (Anderson's mom). Margarita was misidentified at the trial as "a German woman".

Old 04-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Majesty

Yes, Thelma Furness was mistress to David Prince of Wales until she went to the US to support her sister Thelma in her custody case. When she returned to Britain she found Wallis had nabbed him. (She had asked Wallis to take care of him for her, and she certainly did!)

It was Edwina Mountbatten, Lord Louis’s wife who allegedly had an affair with Nadejda (de Torby) the wife of George Marquis of Milford Haven, her sister in law, and aunt to Philip and his sisters as she was herself. Both women were free spirits who travelled together at times, away from their husbands.

Gottfried, Margarita’s husband, was indeed once engaged to Gloria Vanderbilt snr. Years later he returned to the US to help her as a witness in her custody battle for her daughter, ‘little Gloria’, a cause célèbre that consumed newspaper coverage at the time.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
There were two Gloria Vanderbilts. The elder was twin sister to Lady Furness as the Morgan girls, involved with Friedel Hohenlohe, Nada Milford Haven, and the famous custody trial for her daughter, "Little Gloria" (Anderson's mom). Margarita was misidentified at the trial as "a German woman".
Thanks for spotting my error. I've corrected my post. Not enough coffee today. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thanks for spotting my error. I've corrected my post. Not enough coffee today. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Well, Thelma was sister to Gloria, but aunt to her daughter Gloria, and great-aunt to Anderson Cooper. You were right, you just missed a Gloria.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, Thelma Furness was mistress to David Prince of Wales until she went to the US to support her sister Thelma in her custody case. When she returned to Britain she found Wallis had nabbed him. (She had asked Wallis to take care of him for her, and she certainly did!)

It was Edwina Mountbatten, Lord Louis’s wife who allegedly had an affair with Nadejda (de Torby) the wife of George Marquis of Milford Haven, her sister in law, and aunt to Philip and his sisters as she was herself. Both women were free spirits who travelled together at times, away from their husbands.

Gottfried, Margarita’s husband, was indeed once engaged to Gloria Vanderbilt snr. Years later he returned to the US to help her as a witness in her custody battle for her daughter, ‘little Gloria’, a cause célèbre that consumed newspaper coverage at the time.

During the Vanderbilt custody trial, a maid testified that she had walked into a bedroom to find Nadejda Milford Haven in bed with Gloria Sr., with her arm around her and kissing her "like a lover." Her testimony created an immediate sensation. Gloria Sr. fell to the floor and had to be carried from the courtroom sobbing.

The British press refused to print Lady Milford Haven's name, referring only to "lurid accusations" involving a "titled woman." Lady Milford Haven publicly denied the accusation and hired a lawyer but never testified in court, although both Gottfried and Margarita did.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

An interesting Documentary about the hessian routs of Prince Philip. Unfortunately only in german.In it also his nephew, Prince Rainer of Hesse who lives at Wolfsgarten Castle. He has recently written a book about Wolfsgarten and he had asked Philip to write a preface. But then Philip came into the Hospital and he didn't ant to remeber him so he had already given up. then one Thursday he received a Letter from Buckingham Palace with the preface. And on the next Philip died.

https://www.hr-fernsehen.de/sendunge...mix67CLqwgJCsg

Old 04-23-2021, 06:56 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Lovely story, thanks for posting it as I hadn't seen it elsewhere.

As a sidequestion: didn't Wolfsgarten belong to the Darmstadt branch? And the properties of that branch were inherited by Landgrave Moritz, as he was adopted by Prince Ludwig. How come Prince Rainer is living there now, as he is only a cousin of the late Mortiz.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:46 PM
Majesty

I have read (but it was Wiki!) that the present Landgrave, Donatus, lives at Schloss Wolfsgarten. Perhaps, as it is quite a large building, various members of the von Hesse family live there at different times and that would include Prince Rainier. The family own several homes and maybe the same arrangements pertain in each? I don’t know, just asking!
Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
An interesting Documentary about the hessian routs of Prince Philip. Unfortunately only in german.In it also his nephew, Prince Rainer of Hesse who lives at Wolfsgarten Castle. He has recently written a book about Wolfsgarten and he had asked Philip to write a preface. But then Philip came into the Hospital and he didn't ant to remeber him so he had already given up. then one Thursday he received a Letter from Buckingham Palace with the preface. And on the next Philip died.

https://www.hr-fernsehen.de/sendunge...mix67CLqwgJCsg
very interesting, thank you for sharing, do you recall what year HM and the Duke of Edenborough made this visit?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
very interesting, thank you for sharing, do you recall what year HM and the Duke of Edenborough made this visit?
I found this picture of a visit in 1965. It was the wedding of prince Ludwig and princess Margaret that Philip's sister was about to attend when their plane crashed.

This story on Royal Musings about Philip's youth provides some background information about the social circles of Philip's family. Most interesting detail: his mother had lunch with Elizabeth's grandparents (the king and queen) on the day of Elizabeth's birth.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I found this picture of a visit in 1965.
The Queen and Prince Philip paid their first official state visit to Germany in 1965. While there they visited Wolfsgarten as well as his sisters Theodora at Salem and Margarita at Langenburg.

Source: Gyles Brandreth, Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Royal Marriage (2004), p. 293.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I have read (but it was Wiki!) that the present Landgrave, Donatus, lives at Schloss Wolfsgarten. Perhaps, as it is quite a large building, various members of the von Hesse family live there at various times and that would include Prince Rainier. The family own various homes and maybe the same arrangements pertain in each? I don’t know, just asking!
Interesting observation. I looked it up -also on wikipedia- and it seems that like the Bavarians the Hessens have several castles in a foundation (Hessische Hausstiftung). It seems likely indeed that they allow members to live in a property, rather than letting it stand empty.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I found this picture of a visit in 1965. It was the wedding of prince Ludwig and princess Margaret that Philip's sister was about to attend when their plane crashed.
Included in this photograph is Princess Christina of Hesse. Was not Princess Christina once mentioned as a possible bride for Prince Charles of Great Britain?
Old 04-25-2021, 05:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Included in this photograph is Princess Christina of Hesse. Was not Princess Christina once mentioned as a possible bride for Prince Charles of Great Britain?
By today's standards she is too closely related. Maybe the press speculated something like that.

Princess Beatrix von Hohenlohe-Langenburg, Philip's niece who is also in the photo, was engaged to her first cousin Margrave Max of Baden, who was also Philip's nephew, although the engagement was late cancelled for "personal reasons".
Old 04-25-2021, 06:17 AM
Majesty

I dont think that there was much speculation on any royal brides for Charles apart from the report about Marie Astrid of Lux... who was impossilbe as she was Roman Catholic. I dotn think that by the time P Charles was marriagable people thought of him marrying a foreign royal bride...
Old 04-25-2021, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Christina was 15 years older than Charles and married Prince Andrej of Yugoslavia in 1956.

I believe it may actually be her younger sister Clarissa who is pictured. She was 21 years old in 1965 (four years older than Charles).
Old 04-25-2021, 06:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Christina was 15 years older than Charles and married Prince Andrej of Yugoslavia in 1956.

I believe it may actually be her younger sister Clarissa who is pictured. She was 21 years old in 1965 (four years older than Charles).
Gawin, You have identified the correct sister! The sister was Princess Clarissa. Thus, had she and Charles married, there may have been a Queen Clarissa.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Out of the subject. Isn't Princess Clarissa of Hesse who was one of the bridesmaids in the wedding of King Constantine and Pcs Anne-Marie?
Quote:
Gawin, You have identified the correct sister! The sister was Princess Clarissa. Thus, had she and Charles married, there may have been a Queen Clarissa.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Out of the subject. Isn't Princess Clarissa of Hesse who was one of the bridesmaids in the wedding of King Constantine and Pcs Anne-Marie?
Yes. Princess Clarissa of Hesse was a bridesmaid.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:26 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Interesting that they don't say where it was taken, but I suppose "Germany" would have been the safe answer.
Was that photo not taken at Sophie's 2nd marriage to Georg of Hanover in April 1946?

Here's another photo from the wedding - Sophie appears to be wearing the same outfit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sophie 2nd wedding.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	302537  

Tags
cecilie grand duchess of hesse, duke of edinburgh, margarita princess of hohenlohe-langenburg, prince philip, prince philip's sisters, princess cecilie, princess christoph of hesse, princess george william of hanover, princess margarita, princess sophie, princess theodora, theodora margravine of baden