Queen Elizabeth presents the Imperial State Crown video

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Last edited:
Thank you for posting this in this section, Warren. I'm one of those people who don't visit the Royal Jewels threads too often.:) It's fascinating how much of the UK's history is tied up in that one crown. It's also interesting to hear again how "clipped" the Queen sounded during the 70s. Her speech really has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great clip! I loved hearing HM talk about the different members of her family and how each of the gems came to the crown. Thanks for the link! :)

At the moment I can't listen at it: my new LCD monitor has no loudspeakers and I can't connect the earmuffs directly to the PC because it's very near the wall and I can't move the table (let alone that the cable is too short and, in any case, I could hear but not see). I should remember to do something about it! :bang:

In the meantime I watched the video. It's nice too see Her Majesty speaking about somethinng different than her usual sppeches.
The images of the crown are amazing. :)

The close-up of the jewels is magnificent, I can imagine what they look like up close

The series from which this clip was taken- Royal Heritage- is outstanding.
It was shown on PBS here in America in the early 80s. I would definitely recommend the entire program.

What a fantastic clip, well worth a look.

Her Majesty sounds so proper!

its crazy how when they showed the pictures of past kings and queens their eyes all stayed basically the same shape.

its crazy how when they showed the pictures of past kings and queens their eyes all stayed basically the same shape.

I assume that's the family resemblance!

Overall, it was a great video, although I didn't think The Queen did things like this.

:previous:
Only once in the 57 years of her reign.
The clip was made in 1976 as part of the Royal Heritage series.

I loved seeing the Queen do something like this, I loved the ending with taking a look at past Kings and Queens.

The Queen's voice

The Queen's voice is somewhat mellifluous and does not have the high-pitched tone which she acquired as she aged. It is a pity that the only recording of Victoria's voice, a greeting to some chieftain in Africa, was destroyed after the phonograph was played to the Chief. This was the Queen's express command but her contemporaries tell of the "bell-like" sound of her voice and how it remained youthful even as she aged.

:previous:
I believe the "chieftan in Africa" was the Emperor of Ethiopia.

Warren, thank you so much for posting this video, I never even knew it existed! :flowers:
Although most of the stories (of the stones and gems) are well-known, it is completely different to actually hear Her Majesty talk about them.

Interesting bit of trivia. The Black Prince's Ruby, it turned out, was actually a spinel and not a ruby at all.

:previous: I have to thank you for providing the above video. I've been looking for something like this lately. I have to say QEII was a beauty, in her very own way, in her youth.

that was an amazing clip i liked when she was talking about the past kings and the ending was great.

Great set of links. All of the royals they showed in the Crown video did share similar eyes - except one (I don't know who he is), who really stood out as different. The similarity was much more pronounced in the earlier royals, and while Queen Elizabeth II has something of the same orbital distance and shape, she doesn't look as astonishingly similar as, say, Elizabeth I does to her father and the earlier monarchs. (That's a good thing, IMO).

I love Her Majesty the Queen and the entire Royal Family. May Her Majesty have long life and reign. God Save the Queen !!!

A grand video - thank you

I so enjoyed HM explaining the history of the crown and its use, her personal narrative was truly special

What absolutely fantastic clips! I enjoyed them so much, a big thanks indeed. So much history and splendor. Im always learning something new and I thank all of you for all your hard work and passion for all things royal.:flowers:

What a glorious looking crown. I do believe that the British State Crown is the greatest looking crown in the world.

Hello Busy Lady, if you go to the first post of this thread (on Page 1) you will find a link there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy lady - click on the link in Warren's post (the first post of the thread).

And Warren - thanks for posting this! :flowers:
I never even know Her Majesty had done a video like that. Gorgeous video and great introduction.

Last edited:
Fantastic!
OMG, I can listening to Her voice all the time...

That got tears welling. Why? I don't know. Why do these royals feel kind of like family? I don't know. Same with the Japanese Royals. I suppose that is the way Monarchy is supposed to leave you feeling kind of like. That is what keeps the Monarchy strong, people feeling like that for them. I guess the respect you give kind of depends on how you grew up. She'll always be that young Queen that reminds people of a school teacher and someone's mom. How you take that I guess depends on how you took school and other people's parents. Know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom