Queen Elizabeth II's Titles and Styles in Languages other than English

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbruno

Majesty
City
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
I was doing some research on titles and styles currently or previously held by Queen Elizabeth II in languages other than English. So far, I have found:

1) In Canada, under the Royal Style and Titles Act (Loi sur les titres royaux).

English: Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith;

French: Elizabeth Deux, par la grâce de Dieu Reine du Royaume-Uni, du Canada et de ses autres royaumes et territoires, Chef du Commonwealth, Défenseur de la Foi.

2) Previously in the Union of South Africa, under the Royal Style and Titles Acts (Wet op Koninglike Styl en Titels).

English: Queen of South Africa and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth;

Afrikaans: Koningin van Suid-Afrika en Haar ander Koninkryke en Gebiede, Hoof van die Statebond;

Latin: Africae Australis regnorumque suorum ceterorum Regina, consortionis populorum Princeps.

Does anybody know of any other foreign language title Her Majesty may have held ? Perhaps in India or Pakistan for example ?

Some of the other African countries maybe but not India and Pakistan as she was never the Queen of these countries. Her father lost the title of Emperor of India when India gained independence and even he never held a title in Pakistan as Pakistan didn't exist until separation in 1947.

In the United Kingdom, her title is also in Latin:

"Elizabeth II, Dei Gratia Britanniarum Regnorumque Suorum Ceterorum Regina, Consortionis Populorum Princeps, Fidei Defensor."

It's not an official title in Canada, but Canada doesn't use either official language on coins, and uses the Latin "Elizabeth II D. G. Regina." (Although most other realms/territories seem to just use "Elizabeth II [country] [year]" so it's not really necessary.)

Some of the other African countries maybe but not India and Pakistan as she was never the Queen of these countries.

She wasn't ever the queen of India as it became a republic in 1950, but she was the queen of Pakistan until 1956. I don't think Pakistan ever adopted a separate title for her, though, as by 1953 it was seen as inevitable that Pakistan would become a republic sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
The Queen might have had an official title in Sinhalese when Queen of Ceylon, and Maltese when Queen of Malta, but I haven't been able to find anything. Not surprisingly, it looks like most of her multi-lingual realms, past and present, use English for constitutional/legal purposes.

I found this page that lists a purported Maltese title:

¹Full style:
(a) 21 Sep 1964 - 18 Jan 1965: Ghall-Grazzja t’Alla tar-Renju Unit tal-Britannja l-Kbira u ta’ l-Irlanda ta’ Fuq u tar-Renji u t-Territorji l-Ohra Taghha, Regina, Kap tal-Commonwealth u Difenditriċi tal-Fidi ("By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith");
(b) 18 Jan 1965 - 13 Dec 1974: Ghall-Grazzja t’Alla, Regina ta’ Malta u tar-Renji u t-Territorji l-Ohra Taghha, Kap tal-Commonwealth ("By the Grace of God, Queen of Malta and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth").

Edit: I also found the first on a Maltese government website. I don't know if the original was in Maltese or if it's just an after-the-fact translation. (I put it in Google Translate and it's the letters patent allowing Prince Philip to open the first parliament of Malta.)

Last edited:
Some of the other African countries maybe but not India and Pakistan as she was never the Queen of these countries. Her father lost the title of Emperor of India when India gained independence and even he never held a title in Pakistan as Pakistan didn't exist until separation in 1947.

True, she was never Queen of India, but she was Queen of Pakistan until 1956, wasn't she ? I believe she was also Queen of Ceylon until 1972.

BTW, does anybody know if Her Majesty currently hold an official NZ title in the Maori language ?

Last edited:
I can't find any information on a Maori title for the Queen, but my boss is from New Zealand and he has an interest in the New Zealand honours system, so he might know. I'll ask him next week. The Treaty of Waitangi is in English and Maori. In English Queen Victoria is "Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland", but in Maori she is Ko Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani Victoria, the Queen of England. Here's an interesting portrait of the Queen called Royal Moko. The distinctive Maori facial tattoo is called ta moko. The date behind the Queen is 6 February 1840, the day the Treaty of Waitangi was signed.

QueenNewZealandTaMoko.jpg

I found the same information like wbenson
Full style:
(a) 21 Sep 1964 - 18 Jan 1965: Ghall-Grazzja t’Alla tar-Renju Unit tal-Britannja l-Kbira u ta’ l-Irlanda ta’ Fuq u tar-Renji u t-Territorji l-Ohra Taghha, Regina, Kap tal-Commonwealth u Difenditriċi tal-Fidi ("By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith");
(b) 18 Jan 1965 - 13 Dec 1974: Ghall-Grazzja t’Alla, Regina ta’ Malta u tar-Renji u t-Territorji l-Ohra Taghha, Kap tal-Commonwealth ("By the Grace of God, Queen of Malta and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth").

I can't find any information on a Maori title for the Queen, but my boss is from New Zealand and he has an interest in the New Zealand honours system, so he might know. I'll ask him next week. The Treaty of Waitangi is in English and Maori. In English Queen Victoria is "Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland", but in Maori she is Ko Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani Victoria, the Queen of England. Here's an interesting portrait of the Queen called Royal Moko. The distinctive Maori facial tattoo is called ta moko. The date behind the Queen is 6 February 1840, the day the Treaty of Waitangi was signed.

View attachment 292197

Her Majesty with Ink! I have seen it all. My mother told me that when she had her senior yearbook photo taken (ca 1948), they gave you this blue lipstick that in a black and white photographed nicely as a well-made-up-lip. They use the same lipstick in the days before color films. But that tat is a whole other thing.

Back
Top Bottom