Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
Now that some details are starting to emerge about potential celebrations for the Platinum Jubilee in 2022, I thought we could have a thread dedicated to that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54911550

A "once-in-a-generation show" over a four-day bank holiday weekend will mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2022.

The Queen, 94, hopes as many people as possible will have the opportunity to join the celebrations, Buckingham Palace said.

She will have reigned for 70 years on 6 February 2022 but plans are in place to stage a series of events from 2-5 June.

The culture secretary said it would be a "truly historic moment" and deserved a "celebration to remember".

Oliver Dowden said it will "bring the entire nation and the Commonwealth together."

The events will reflect the Queen's reign, the longest of any British sovereign, and her impact on the UK and the world since her accession to the throne in 1952.

To create the four-day weekend in June 2022, the late May Spring Bank Holiday that year will be moved to Thursday 2 June and an additional Bank Holiday on Friday 3 June will be created.

Members of the Royal Family are expected to take part in the celebrations over the extended weekend and in the run-up to it.

In keeping with tradition established with previous royal milestones, a Platinum Jubilee medal will be awarded to people who work in public service, including representatives of the Armed Forces, the emergency services and the prison services.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: "The Platinum Jubilee offers an opportunity for the Queen to express her thanks for the support and loyalty Her Majesty has received throughout her reign.

"The Queen hopes that as many people as possible will have the opportunity to join the celebrations."

Like for the Queen's Golden and Diamond Jubilees, the first week in June has been chosen for the celebratory weekend, with the summer offering a better chance of good weather than February.

The Queen also became monarch on the day of the death of her father King George VI and and is known not to want to celebrate on the specific day of his anniversary.

The Royal Household and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) are organising the commemorations.

The DCMS has said "spectacular" moments in London and other major cities will be complemented by events in communities across the UK and the Commonwealth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! In these times where the light at the end of the tunnel has usually been an oncoming train, we now have something glorious and wonderful and positive to look forward to. This really should be the Jubilee of Jubilees and all stops pulled out for it. A 70 year reign is remarkable and probably will never be seen again.

Great! In these times where the light at the end of the tunnel has usually been an oncoming train, we now have something glorious and wonderful and positive to look forward to. This really should be the Jubilee of Jubilees and all stops pulled out for it. A 70 year reign is remarkable and probably will never be seen again.

Very well said, Osipi. It has been a difficult year, and the announcemnt of the celebrations is very much the light at the end of the tunnel that will keep us all going.

Last edited:
Indeed, I can’t wait to hear about all the events that will be planned for this long weekend.

I travelled to London for the Diamond Jubilee with a friend and have such wonderful memories of being in The Mall for the concert with all those people and standing in the rain all day for the river pageant! The mood was so wonderful, taking turns to paint each other’s faces while we waited on the carriages to pass on their way to St Paul’s. I was so tired after it all but delighted to have been a part of it!

Will the other european royal families be invited to some of the events?

Will the other european royal families be invited to some of the events?

Difficult to tell, but it may be unlikely. These big set-piece events tend to be for the British public.

There may be a separate event for visiting royals. In 2012, the Queen hosted a lunch at Windsor for monarchs reigning and deposed, whilst C&C hosted a dinner that very evening at BP.

For the 2002 jubilee, the royal contingent was welcomed to a black tie event at Windsor.

From reading through the Oral Statement of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary and subsequent debates in House of Commons, there has not been any more details on the events in The Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Some MP have suggested ideas, particularly on local events.

2022 would also be the year for Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.

The Speaker has announced that members in both Houses (Commons and Lords) will be able to contribute a Platinum Jubilee gift to the Queen. Apparently, "preliminary arrangements are being made and a cross-party project board has been established". Michael Ellis (Conservative MP for Northampton North) will be leading the project. Like 2012, the gift will be funded by personal contribution from the members of the Houses with no public funds. For Silver Jubilee in 1977, "the fountain in New Palace Yard was built". For Gold Jubilee in 2002, "sundial in Old Palace Yard was installed". For Diamond Jubilee, "stained glass window in Westminster Hall was created".

Link to the Hansard of Her Majesty the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...8E0545C33/HerMajestyTheQueen’SPlatinumJubilee

The Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2022 is defiantly something to look forward to.

That report about the Queen's Platinum Jubilee probably puts paid to the rumours that she is going to abdicate April next year.

If only someone would contribute some massive diamonds like Victoria got. :D

Just a bit of wishful thinking.

I certainly hope the public aren't expected to contribute to any part of it...

This sounds like a wonderful celebration, and I’ll make sure I’m up to watch, but it seems ...unfortunate to encourage crowds (enormous crowds) during a pandemic. Are things that good in the U.K.?

Well, it is set for 2022. So who knows what will remain of covid by then.

Well, it is set for 2022. So who knows what will remain of covid by then.

Oh wow, I can’t believe I missed that....thank you!

So, my enthusiasm for this is now unabashed ...I think it’s wonderful to give people something to look forward to!

This will be a great event to look forward to hopefully once the pandemic has died down. I hope it can go ahead.

Queen Elizabeth II did not use the Gold State Coach for her Diamond Jubilee. Which coach will she use for the Platinum Jubilee?

I know that these two articles were published on the 25th September, before the announcement of four-day Bank Holiday for the Platinum Jubilee in 2022. The context of both of these articles is on the movement of "toppling/removing statues that links to the slave trade", which are mentioned predominately, rather than the Platinum Jubilee itself. Queen Victoria's statue in Hyde Park, Leeds and Sydney were vandalised this year. This kind of explain the title of The Telegraph article.

The Telegraph article mentioned that Matt Warman (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and MP for Boston and Skegness) supported the campaign for a statue of the Queen on her Platinum Jubilee.

Minister backs campaign for jubilee statue of the Queen following summer of memorial vandalism
Matt Warman said he was 'appalled to see pictures of the protests earlier this year'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...mpaign-jubilee-statue-queen-following-summer/

The idea of erecting a statue of The Queen is initially put forward by The British Monarchists Society, who then suggested it to Sir David Amess (MP for Southend West). The royal sculptor, Christian Corbet, has already made preliminary sketches for the monument, which is planned "for a prestigious suitable position in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Westminster". Unlike the personal gifts from MPs and Peers in 2012 and 2022 (as announced by The Speaker of the House of Commons), this monument and statue project is possibly going to be funded by public subscription. Sir David Amess also suggested "a UK equivalent of the Hollywood Walk of Fame" and campaigned for a statue of Dame Vera Lynn to be commissioned.

Celebrate Queen’s Platinum Jubilee with a statue, urges MP
The Queen’s forthcoming Platinum Jubilee should be marked with a statue of her in central London, MPs have heard.
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/celebrate-queens-platinum-jubilee-with-a-statue-urges-mp/

Queen Elizabeth II did not use the Gold State Coach for her Diamond Jubilee. Which coach will she use for the Platinum Jubilee?

I wonder if there is going to be a new coach like the Diamond Jubilee State Coach for commemorating Queen Elizabeth's diamond jubilee? Having said that, according to wikipedia with a citation to a Telegraph artice, the Diamond Jubilee State Coach was initially made to commemorate The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006. The completion however, was delayed for nearly eight years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Jubilee_State_Coach
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1550097/Britannia-the-time-machine-fit-for-a-Queen.html

From looking at the pictures on the BBC website, The Gold State Coach was used in The Queen's Coronation, Silver Jubilee and Gold Jubilee
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00tbn38/p00tbplt

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there is going to be a new coach like the Diamond Jubilee State Coach for commemorating Queen Elizabeth's diamond jubilee? Having said that, according to wikipedia with a citation to a Telegraph artice, the Diamond Jubilee State Coach was initially made to commemorate The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006. The completion however, was delayed for nearly eight years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Jubilee_State_Coach
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1550097/Britannia-the-time-machine-fit-for-a-Queen.html

From looking at the pictures on the BBC website, The Gold State Coach was used in The Queen's Coronation, Silver Jubilee and Gold Jubilee
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00tbn38/p00tbplt

I do not think there will be any new coaches.

I don't think there will be either. Even though the celebrations are planned for the summer of 2022, it's going to take a long while for people worldwide to recover financially from the effects of this pandemic.

What I am sincerely hoping for is a world climate such that travel and tourism is wide open for the Platinum Jubilee. That will go a long way towards boosting the economy of the UK.

My guess is that the Queen will use the Gold State Coach that she used on her coronation day 70 years ago.

I don't think there will be either. Even though the celebrations are planned for the summer of 2022, it's going to take a long while for people worldwide to recover financially from the effects of this pandemic.

My guess is that the Queen will use the Gold State Coach that she used on her coronation day 70 years ago.

Actually they have enough carriages in the Royal Stables which are nowaday only used rarely unfortunatley. I think the only time in the year when the closed carriages are used is for the State Opening of Parliament.
Wouldklike to see the Queen use the Golden State Coach again but i think it is a bnit unlikely as she didnot use it for the Diamond Jubilee. Found the procession in Cars a bit disappoinintg when compared to the procession for the Golden Jubilee 10 years earlier.

This will be a great event to look forward to hopefully once the pandemic has died down. I hope it can go ahead.

The pandemic won't be the problem. Vaccines are already available and everyone will have access to one. The problem, as I see it is, will the Queen still be alive to celebrate. The woman will be 96 by then. That's old even for a pampered royal.

Actually they have enough carriages in the Royal Stables which are nowaday only used rarely unfortunatley. I think the only time in the year when the closed carriages are used is for the State Opening of Parliament.
Wouldklike to see the Queen use the Golden State Coach again but i think it is a bnit unlikely as she didnot use it for the Diamond Jubilee. Found the procession in Cars a bit disappoinintg when compared to the procession for the Golden Jubilee 10 years earlier.

Yes the procession in cars was rather prosaic. Unworthy of HM I thought. Though the later procession from Westminster Hall to BP was in open landaus.

It would be grand to use the Golden State Coach.

Last edited:
From Chris Ship's twitter, the Cool Earth and Woodland Trust has announced the “Queen’s Green Canopy” campaign for planting trees to mark The Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2020.

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
[Deciduous tree] Plant a tree for the Jubilee [Evergreen tree]
Announcement by ⁦⁦@coolearth and ⁦@WoodlandTrust for the “Queen’s Green Canopy” to mark her Platinum Jubilee (70 years) in 2022.
9:06 PM · Nov 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Public urged to plant a tree to help mark monarch’s 70-year reign
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-28/public-urged-to-plant-a-tree-for-the-queens-platinum-jubilee

The pandemic won't be the problem. Vaccines are already available and everyone will have access to one. The problem, as I see it is, will the Queen still be alive to celebrate. The woman will be 96 by then. That's old even for a pampered royal.

Yes, but her mother was even older.
And it looks like Philip is still going strong.
So I expect the Queen will still be around to celebrate.

Yes the procession in cars was rather prosaic. Unworthy of HM I thought. Though the later procession from Westminster Hall to BP was in open landaus.

It would be grand to use the Golden State Coach.

There's one thing that should be taken into consideration too: comfortability. The Golden State Coach may look grand, but, say, how its suspension system is?

There's one thing that should be taken into consideration too: comfortability. The Golden State Coach may look grand, but, say, how its suspension system is?

Fair point, plus awkward for getting in and out of.

Indeed, I'm not sure the Golden State Coach will be used for the Platinum Jubilee. According to the Queen, the coach is "not meant for travelling in at all":

I wonder whether this was the reason for not using it during the Diamond Jubilee due to the Queen's advancing age even back then?

There are more updates on the MPs and Lords' present (lead by Speaker of the Houses of Commons and Lords) for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Parliament want to install “a pair of unique bronze sculptures of the heraldic beasts of the UK” with new inscription on the on the staircase leading to the fountain in New Palace Yard. A letter was sent to MPs and Lords with a picture of this design and notifying the total cost of £175,000. The politicians were "asked to consider making a contribution to these sculptures”. This project also mentioned that “no public funds be spent on the commission” like the stained glass window in the Diamond Jubilee. The deadline for the donation is 15th July. Michael Ellis (Conservative MP for Northampton North) is involved in the fundraising.

Picture of the letter with the drawing/design and heading "The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Gift": https://i0.wp.com/order-order.com/w...t-2021-02-23-at-12.27.09-copy.jpg?w=832&ssl=1

Source from Guido Fawkes (Right-wing political website)
https://order-order.com/2021/02/23/mps-told-to-raise-175000-gift-for-queens-platinum-jubilee/

Like the article mentioned, it's no longer a "surprise" gift, when the design of the sculptures and inscription are leaked. But then, I would not be writing this post if this politician (most likely MP in HoC) did not secretly send the picture of the letter (with the drawings) to Guido Fawkes. :lol: ? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom