Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are regularly rehersals for state funerals, held in the middle of the night in London.
The BBC also allegedly does practice runs, on one occassion allegedly the Queen Mothers death was leaked, much to her amusement. The one major occassion they were wrong footed was when Diana, Princess of Wales died. On every foreign trip members of the Royal Family have suitable mourning packed, just in case.

The Royal House will celebrate this special time of the reign of Queen?

There are regularly rehersals for state funerals, held in the middle of the night in London.
The BBC also allegedly does practice runs, on one occassion allegedly the Queen Mothers death was leaked, much to her amusement. The one major occassion they were wrong footed was when Diana, Princess of Wales died. On every foreign trip members of the Royal Family have suitable mourning packed, just in case.

That makes sense to travel with suitable mourning clothing, particularly with the age Philip and Elizabeth are, but I can't imagine how odd it must feel every time they go on a trip and they have to make sure their black suit and tie or dress are packed just in case. Must be such an odd feeling.

That makes sense to travel with suitable mourning clothing, particularly with the age Philip and Elizabeth are, but I can't imagine how odd it must feel every time they go on a trip and they have to make sure their black suit and tie or dress are packed just in case. Must be such an odd feeling.
My same feeling. But packing for a tour is probably a huge enterprise so I doubt they pack all the bags themselves. So it could be that the person helping them always packs the mourningclothes in a way to avoid that feeling :) I hope so at least!

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 8h8 hours ago
The BBC will show a documentary called "The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria” marking HM becoming UK’s longest-reigning monarch.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7h7 hours ago
The documentary, broadcast on 6th September, will compare the long reigns of both Elizabeth II and her great-great-grandmother Victoria.

BBC to broadcast special documentary as Queen becomes longest-reigning Monarch
On the 9th of September this year, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will make history as she becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history. To mark the occasion, BBC One will be airing a documentary, ‘The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria’.

Until September 9, Queen Victoria, the current Queen’s great-great-grandmother, is the longest reigning monarch, having sat for 63 years and seven months on the throne.

The hour long documentary, which will be presented by Sophie Raworth, looks at the reigns of both Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria, asking how they have managed to provide such enduring stability in an ever-changing world.

Head of BBC Events, Phil Dolling, says: “For all of us alive, today, September 9th, is something we will not know again in our lifetimes – a British monarch reigning for more than 63 years and seven months. It’s a remarkable achievement and we’re delighted to be able to pay tribute to Her Majesty the Queen with this documentary.”

I would expect The BBC to pull their fingers out and create something wonderful. It is an incredible achievement and a part of the countries history.

Sounds like it has potential :) I wonder if it's "just" old clips put together in a new way or if they have been able to make interviews with some "significant" poeple or some exclusive clip :)

My guess is it's low cost look back. They really do have a lot of archive footage and even contemporary commentary on that will/should not come at too high a price. But it is also illuminating to hear how the pundits saw it in the archived footage. Just because you and I see it in a certain way today, does not mean it was seen that way 20, 30, etc. years ago. :whistling:

More about the new BBC documentary.

BBC - BBC One documentary to mark Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II becoming the longest-reigning monarch in British history - Media Centre
Including contributions from Professor Kate Williams, Lord Professor Peter Hennessy, Sir Roy Strong, William Shawcross, Lord Julian Fellowes, Robert Lacey, AN Wilson, and Matthew Dennison among others, the film highlights the challenges and achievements the Queen has faced - and compares her reign with that of her great-great grandmother, Queen Victoria.

When asked if abdication were a possibility, a senior palace source told Reuters: “Life means life.”

The religious overtones to a British coronation are deeply symbolic for Elizabeth, who as queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

“The queen won’t abdicate, she must not abdicate, there’s absolutely no reason for her to abdicate and indeed constitutionally and religiously she cannot abdicate: she is an anointed queen,” royal historian Hugo Vickers told Reuters.

Nothing else need be said. Our Queen is one of a kind.

Why abdicate ; Where can perform its tasks. Besides needs to grow the record :flowers:

I don't think personal records or personal milestones really are a big concern of the Queen's. There is not one thing, in my opinion, that shows either HM or the DoE as people concerned with their own self importance in the scheme of things.

Philip, however, did rue the fact that he was the only father that wasn't allowed to pass on his name to his children. HM did correct that. That's a right that every father should have. :D

I agree with you Osipi. I don't think Queen care so much about records. I say that with a little humor. I think Queen have humor or no? :)

As we mostly see HM when she is in "Queen mode" and very regal in her demeanor, we just have to take the words of some of the people close to her that have remarked that she is quite a humorous and witty person and is excellent at mimicking people.

Mimicking people the Queen ? Oh must we see that :lol:

Very beautiful tribute indeed. I want to see and Charles how the honor to his mother.

If the British people actually had a choice, I bet many of them would actually vote to skip over Charles, although I cannot tell if they would be a majority or not.

Having said that, a referendum can only be called in the UK if Paliament passes a law authorizing it to happen (there is no such thing in the UK as "popular initiatives" as in Switzerland or the United States). And, of course, no prime minister or major party leader will ever suggest skipping over Charles unless Charles himself tells them he doesn't want to be king, which I don't think will happen.

Charles' position is pretty safe then as far as I can tell. The major risk he faces is being too old when he actually ascends the throne and having to accept a regency a few years later (if he becomes ill or incapacitated).

I believe and I charles excluded not want to be king even for one day. But is not it a little "unfair"? Look belgium. If he had not resigned King Albert who also knows when Philip would become king. And I mean not only Elizabeth I speak generally.

Beautiful pictures. What memories must Queen has for all this years.

Maybe is stupid question but behind the queen is a photo of a bride who is it?

This thought too but not like very much with the Queen Mother.

Congratulations to her Majesty.

She is sooooo beautiful. Rudolph send me immediately a letter please :)
with this post of course ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That article is nonsense. There is no mechanism for a quickie abdication or skipping Charles. Britain isn't going to be a republic after the Queen dies.

If the Queen becomes ill then there is a regency with Charles.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Why abdicate ; Where can perform its tasks. Besides needs to grow the record :flowers:

I don't think personal records or personal milestones really are a big concern of the Queen's. There is not one thing, in my opinion, that shows either HM or the DoE as people concerned with their own self importance in the scheme of things.

Philip, however, did rue the fact that he was the only father that wasn't allowed to pass on his name to his children. HM did correct that. That's a right that every father should have. :D

That article is nonsense. There is no mechanism for a quickie abdication or skipping Charles. Britain isn't going to be a republic after the Queen dies.

If the Queen becomes ill then there is a regency with Charles.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thank you! I have no idea where people conjure up the stuff about Her Majesty considering abdication, or the plan to skip over Charles. No indications of either have surfaced, and I doubt that they will.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree with you Osipi. I don't think Queen care so much about records. I say that with a little humor. I think Queen have humor or no? :)

As we mostly see HM when she is in "Queen mode" and very regal in her demeanor, we just have to take the words of some of the people close to her that have remarked that she is quite a humorous and witty person and is excellent at mimicking people.

I would love to see her do an impression of a few US politicians. I'm sure she'd nail each one, since I've read she's pretty much spot on with voices, and accents.

Queen only days away from becoming longest-reigning British Monarch
The Queen is just 19 days away from becoming the longest-reigning monarch in British history, overtaking great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.

According to Royal Central‘s calculations, The Queen will overtake Queen Victoria on 9th September at 4.18pm.

Reliable records show Queen Victoria’s reign spanning from 2.12am on 20th June 1837 to 6.30pm on 22nd January 1901, a total of 23,226 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes!

The time of Queen Elizabeth’s accession however is slightly more obscure to calculate, as George VI had died in his sleep. Best estimates suggest he died around midnight on 6th February 1952.

Limited edition book set announced marking The Queen’s record reign
Illustrated London News have announced the publication of a special limited edition book set in recognition of Her Majesty The Queen becoming Britain’s longest reigning monarch on September 9th. As Royal Central previously reported, The Queen will overtake her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, on Wednesday 9th September at exactly 4:18pm.

The new limited edition set of books, entitled The Record Reign: Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II, from ILN will draw on previously unseen archive footage from the publication and its sister titles and will also feature a Foreword from Prime Minister, David Cameron. The new publication will also feature a brand new portrait of The Queen, painted in oils by Alastair Barford, and commissioned exclusively for the brand new book set.

ILN will also publishing a softback ‘bookazine’ that is set to be sold on newspaper stands from September 3rd. The Illustrated Record Reign will provide a popular account of The Queen’s reign including image led features and entertaining vignettes. The ‘bookazine’ follows the success of the 2012 publication, The Illustrated Diamond Jubilee.

http://i1.wp.com/royalcentral.co.uk...EIGN-BOOK-SET-ILN.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=680,623

http://i2.wp.com/royalcentral.co.uk...NE-COVER-ILN-2015.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=320,438

Spending such a momentous day with Nicola Sturgeon? Oh my. If I was in Her Majesty's position, Sturgeon is the last person I would want to see on such a momentous day. Maybe a weekend at Balmoral since she so dearly loves it there?

Spending such a momentous day with Nicola Sturgeon? Oh my. If I was in Her Majesty's position, Sturgeon is the last person I would want to see on such a momentous day. Maybe a weekend at Balmoral since she so dearly loves it there?

She does not need to do a weekend at Balmoral, she is already spending the summer there, and will be staying at Balmoral, as usual, on 9 Sep.

Prince William pays tribute to the Queen's 'life of service' - Telegraph
The book comes as the country prepares to celebrate the moment, on September 9, when the Queen’s becomes Britain’s longest-reigning monarch – overtaking the record set by Queen Victoria.

Elizabeth II: The Steadfast will be published on August 27 by Penguin Books, as part of series of short histories of Britain’s sovereigns entitled Penguin Monarchs.

From the British Monarchy facebook page.
The Duke of Cambridge has written the following preface to Elizabeth II: The Steadfast, a biography by former Home and Foreign Secretary Lord Hurd, which recounts the reign, character and family life of The Queen...

"Over the last ninety years, the world has changed more rapidly than at any time in history.

When my grandmother The Queen was born in 1926, the wounds of the Great War were still healing, but few would imagine how soon they would be reopened.

The confidence of the previous century had morphed into uncertainty and many worried – as they still do – about the challenge presented to our communities by rapid technological and social change.

After almost ninety years, we find ourselves in a world that has changed dramatically, almost beyond recognition to the world that The Queen was born into, but where the role of charity, family, duty and compassion perseveres.

I think I speak for my generation when I say that the example and continuity provided by The Queen is not only very rare among leaders but a great source of pride and reassurance.

Time and again, quietly and modestly, The Queen has shown us all that we can confidently embrace the future without compromising the things that are important.

From a personal point of view, I am privileged to witness the private side of The Queen, as a grandmother and great-grandmother.

The Queen’s kindness and sense of humour, her innate sense of calm and perspective, and her love of family and home are all attributes I experience first-hand.

I should add that no mention of The Queen is complete without paying tribute to my grandfather Prince Philip, who has devoted his life to supporting her.

All of us who will inherit the legacy of my grandmother’s reign and generation need to do all we can to celebrate and learn from her story. Speaking for myself, I am privileged to have The Queen as a model for a life of service to the public."

HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, 2015

Last edited:
I just posted this in William's thread lol. The mods can move it to here if they like.

I just posted this in William's thread lol. The mods can move it to here if they like.

Oh, I posted it here, since it is about the Queen becoming the longest reigning British Monarch.

Very movingly written by William to his grandmother.

This is probably the correct thread. I agree, very movingly written by William.

This is a very beautiful tribute. His Highness captured his grandmother perfectly. I'm sure she is very proud of him, and touched by his words.

Beautiful tribute... Hope William will indeed take the leaf out his granny's book...

Thank you! I have no idea where people conjure up the stuff about Her Majesty considering abdication, or the plan to skip over Charles. No indications of either have surfaced, and I doubt that they will.

If the British people actually had a choice, I bet many of them would actually vote to skip over Charles, although I cannot tell if they would be a majority or not.

Having said that, a referendum can only be called in the UK if Paliament passes a law authorizing it to happen (there is no such thing in the UK as "popular initiatives" as in Switzerland or the United States). And, of course, no prime minister or major party leader will ever suggest skipping over Charles unless Charles himself tells them he doesn't want to be king, which I don't think will happen.

Charles' position is pretty safe then as far as I can tell. The major risk he faces is being too old when he actually ascends the throne and having to accept a regency a few years later (if he becomes ill or incapacitated).

History will be made in a little over two weeks’ time, when Queen Elizabeth II becomes our longest reigning monarch.

At about 5.30pm on Wednesday, September 9, she will pass her great-great grandmother Queen Victoria’s record of 63 years, seven months, two days, 16 hours and 23 minutes.

To coincide with this momentous occasion, we will be publishing a special tribute to Elizabeth II, charting not only her six decades as our Queen, but her early life and the chain of events which led to her becoming heir before acceding to the throne.

A rich vein of Royal history runs through Norfolk. Successive generations of the Royal Family have divided their time between London, Windsor and affairs of state, and their country retreat at Sandringham, near King’s Lynn.

When King George VI died there, on February 6, 1952, Princess Elizabeth became Queen.

Since then, the Queen and her family have been regular visitors to our county, both to relax amid their estate’s parklands and pine forests, and to carry out engagements of all kinds. As Norfolk, Fenland and North Suffolk’s newspaper, the EDP has archives bulging with pictures and cuttings recording countless Royal occasions.
Read more: Celebrating the Queen’s long, happy reign over us - News - Eastern Daily Press

Very meaningful and lovely pics! Thanks for posting them... My fav is the pcitures in which the Queen was reading cards sent by kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom