The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Majesty

The last picture in ROYAL NORWAY's post has to be my favorite. Her smile lights up her whole face. Just more proof that a simple gesture, such as a hand-made card really means a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Majesty

Monarchist League @monarchist
The list of celebrations of the Queen’s Reign continues to grow: now at 114. Thanks to all who make this possible. :

Reign Celebration | The Monarchist League of Canada

Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Commoner

On one article it says the Queen will pass Queen Victoria's record on September 10th and on another article in says September 9th. Which is it?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Majesty

It's rather difficult to work out because of course no-one knows exactly when the Queen's father King George VI died, only that it was in the early hours of the morning of February 6th 1952. The Palace has apparently worked it out that the Queen will surpass Victoria's record in the evening of September 9th.

There's quite an interesting article in connection with this.

When will Queen Elizabeth II have reigned for longer than Queen Victoria? | Martin Willis - Academia.edu
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

There have been a number of different dates put forward over the years but the 'official' date is now the 9th. It all comes down to counting days - which meant taking account of days in the various months as well as leap years and then working out the approximate hour that King George VI died due to no one really knowing but the evidence suggesting it was shortly after he retired that night rather than closer to when he was found dead.

In terms of simple years and days the date is different than when counting the exact number of days. Victoria, for instance, lived through 15 leap years or February 29th (1900 wasn't a leap year as it isn't divisible by 400) while Elizabeth has been Queen for 16 leap years - remembering that she had 1952 as the first and again had 2000 as a leap year). That is one extra day which also helps bring back the date from the 10th to the 9th.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Courtier

This will not be the joyous occasion it was for QV. QV took the throne from an uncle she was not particularly fond of, and who despised her mother. QE2 succeeded a father who died too young, and she loved dearly.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 AM
Royal Highness

On the contrary, Victoria and King William got along just fine. It was her mother he had issues with.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If anything, both George VI and Elizabeth II can both be looked at as monarchs that came to the throne unexpectedly as far as timing but they both put one foot in front of the other and did what they had to do with dedication and a desire to serve their people to the best of their abilities.

Although the Queen loved and admired her beloved father, I'm sure that looking back over her long reign, one thing she can be assured of is that she's made her parents proud. She was very fortunate to have her mother so close to her for so long. QEQM had to have been a very strong anchor for her daughter.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth set to overtake Queen Victoria's record on the throne, with no sign of abdication-
http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/556...er-become-king

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

A wave of applause for The Queen at a river based tribute marking her historic reign
Quote:
People in London are being encouraged to line the banks of the Thames on September 9th 2015 to cheer The Queen as she becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history. Organisers of a special flotilla of boats which will take to the river to mark the occasion are asking residents and visitors alike to stand along the Thames and clap The Queen into history on this very special day.
What's the point? She will be in Scotland, and I am planning to be there too.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
A wave of applause for The Queen at a river based tribute marking her historic reign

What's the point? She will be in Scotland, and I am planning to be there too.
Although I see your point and the Queen, herself, will be no where near the Thames, it can and does give the people something to participate in and feel a part of this historic occasion.

Lucky you being in Scotland. Can you drive over and pick me up on the way there? Its only a hop, skip and a jump across the Pond. Turn left at the White House and follow the trees.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There have been a number of different dates put forward over the years but the 'official' date is now the 9th. It all comes down to counting days - which meant taking account of days in the various months as well as leap years and then working out the approximate hour that King George VI died due to no one really knowing but the evidence suggesting it was shortly after he retired that night rather than closer to when he was found dead.

In terms of simple years and days the date is different than when counting the exact number of days. Victoria, for instance, lived through 15 leap years or February 29th (1900 wasn't a leap year as it isn't divisible by 400) while Elizabeth has been Queen for 16 leap years - remembering that she had 1952 as the first and again had 2000 as a leap year). That is one extra day which also helps bring back the date from the 10th to the 9th.
Hmm very interesting! that probably explains why as of today The Queen has been reigning for 23,212 Days (and Queen Victoria of course having reign for 23,226 but yet when it comes to years and days The Queen has been reigning for 63 Years and and 201 days with Victoria being 63 Years and 216 Days.

So in Days she has 15 days but yet in Years and days she has 16 days.

Kind of the same problem when it comes to Longest lived Monarch. Victoria lived just a few days longer then Her grandfather George III however when George III was born Britain was still on the Julian Calendar so with the Gregorian calendar Victoria lived longer then George III however with the Julian Calendar George III lived longer.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Although I see your point and the Queen, herself, will be no where near the Thames, it can and does give the people something to participate in and feel a part of this historic occasion.

Lucky you being in Scotland. Can you drive over and pick me up on the way there? Its only a hop, skip and a jump across the Pond. Turn left at the White House and follow the trees.
Yes, lucky me, and I hope it doesn't rains again. I remember the Diamond Jubilee. My brother, me and some friends got soaked, and we saw nothing because of the fog.

Top chefs battle to make the nation's favourite Elizabeth Sponge - 3am & Mirror Online
Old 08-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Crassly commercial. Edwards' lemon meringue looks like a multi-nippled alien life form. Schreager included passion fruit because she had been to Grenada and the Queen had been to islands. No kidding, read it - that's how it was written. Just tell the kiddies they can't eat the whiskey cake. Roses mean longevity. Choc biscuits are the family fav. Textures coarse for the early years and fine for the latter. And on and on.
But, do go and vote for your fave on the Kenwood FB page!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hmmm the paragraph about Diana will not please everyone ...
Old 08-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Hmmm the paragraph about Diana will not please everyone ...
Maybe not, but the concept that Di, the POW and the QM were stars to the Queen's asking "Where does that leave me?" is insightful.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, she's Queen, she's above the stars!

Other than Diana being made the manure for the article, others came out well.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Majesty

That's why I say the Queen and Charles don't want/like the younger royals overshadowing them. People always dismiss this suggestion but I think it does weigh in on decisions surrounding the 'role' of the younger royals during this current reign.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
That's why I say the Queen and Charles don't want/like the younger royals overshadowing them. People always dismiss this suggestion but I think it does weigh in on decisions surrounding the 'role' of the younger royals during this current reign.
Many of those who know The Queen, in a more personal way, way will tell you that she's very secure in her role as Queen and don't mind those who may outshine her. I remember, many people argued that Catherine would be kept in the background during The Queen's Diamond Jubliee. They said, the palace officials wanted The Queen to be the main focus, because it was her year to be featured in the spotlight. Well, who was the first member of the royal family to accompany Her majesty & Prince Philip on a tour around the UK? Catherine.

As for Charles- people use his early issues with his former late wife to assume he don't care for the younger, attractive and popular royals to be seen much, because he likes the spotlight to be on him. He's come a long way since those days and I really don't think he minds it.

A.W. TOZER