Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On September 9 2015, Queen Elizabeth II, at the age of 89, will become the longest-reigning monarch, male or female, of the British Isles.

She will also become the world's longest-reigning female monarch.

Elizabeth's tenure will exceed the reign of her great-great-grandmother, Victoria, who reigned from June 20 1837 to January 22 1901.

Elizabeth inherited the throne on her father George VI's death on February 6, 1952.

Even though people now live much longer, just as in Victoria's time, many British citizens will have been born, grown up, had families and died without knowing any other figure on the throne, other than Elizabeth.
Read more: A tale of two monarchs- Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II | Kent and Sussex Courier

Photo exhibition and official souvenir china will mark day Queen overtakes Victoria as longest reigning monarch - Telegraph
The Queen had insisted she wanted no fuss to be made when she becomes Britain's longest-reigning monarch, but the landmark on September 9 will now be marked with a range of souvenir china and photographic exhibitions at three royal palaces.

The Royal Collection Trust announced today that displays of some of the most memorable photographic portraits taken during the Queen's 63-year reign will go on display at Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse on the day she reaches the special date.

Visitors will also be able to mark the occasion by buying official merchandise. A plate, tankard and pillbox with the words "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Our Longest Reigning Monarch" will go on sale at Royal Collection Trust souvenir shops.

The interesting thing of course is the discussion: was Queen Elizabeth II a good monarch also? Some say that under Elizabeth I England started to become a world power, under Victoria Great-Britain reached the absolute top of its glory. Under Elizabeth II the vast Empire crumbled, the United Kingdom experienced long periods of stagnation and unrest (The Troubles, the economic depression in the 1970's and the 1980's culminating in the Winter of Discontent and "The Enemy Within").

The reign of Queen Elizabeth II initially saw the start of the Welfare State but since the 1980's also a growing disparity between the haves and the have-nots. In her "glorious Reign" (as the Anthem says) also the backbone of British economy became dismantled and sold-out into foreign ownership: British Railways, British Steel, British Telecom, British Energy, British Gas, British Airways, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, British Petroleum, Britsh Aerospace, Cable & Wireless, British Leyland, etc. etc.

Of course, one can say: Queen Elizabeth was not responsible for all this. But Queen Victoria was not responsible either for the amazng expansion of her Empire which is nevertheless associated with her long Reign. So, many congratulations Your Majesty, with reaching such a long Reign. How the Second Elizabethan Era will be remembered by the generations to come, that is an interesting question.

Last edited:
A very interesting question. But I guess all the world has the same problems more or less not just the ones ruled by HM

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thanks Rudolph. I believe for alot of people this is a significant moment in time. Some of us have lived through Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilee's, seen in not just a new century but the millennium and now, hopefully will live to see this milestone. Whatever anyone thinks of H.M. and her reign, I doubt anyone can question this woman's sense of duty and work ethic.

For the majority of the people on this planet, HM Queen Elizabeth II has been a permanent fixture throughout their lives and no matter what the situation or what is happening around her in both her public and private life, she has always been an impeccable example of "keep calm and carry on" and genuinely committed to her country, the commonwealth and the people she serves.

Of course, to HM, this milestone probably seems to be just another day in the life of a Queen that's doing what she's supposed to be doing as she has unfailingly for 63 years. To those of us that muse on the life and times of a monarch that has been on the throne as long as we can remember, it gives us a pause to reflect and realize and appreciate a truly remarkable woman of character, strength and dedication.

There will never be another like her. Ever.

:previous: This would say people in the age of Victoria. Nothing like her. But Elizabeth came. Who knows who will be next. Woman of course. (Men kings in England are not so lucky)

I've changed my avatar for the occasion, even though it's still August, I just find this photo of HM so beautiful and elegant.

The Queen is due to become Britain's longest-reigning monarch next month, and to celebrate, a new exhibition charting her years on the throne is to open next month at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.
Entitled Long To Reign Over Us, the exhibition will open its doors on the 9th September - the same day the Queen passes the record of 63 years, 216 days set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.
A mixture of formal portraits and relaxed family photos, the collection includes the first official photograph of Her Majesty, who is now 89, a black and white profile taken just three weeks after she took the throne in January 1952.

Queen Elizabeth prepares to overtake Victoria as the UK's longest-reigning monarch | Daily Mail Online

She will be remembered as the dutiful Queen who dedicated her life to the service of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy. It's the Prime Minister and politicians who are responsible for what happens, and I would say that living standards for most people is much better now than in 1952.

I've changed my avatar for the occasion, even though it's still August, I just find this photo of HM so beautiful and elegant.

I agree, Have you seen her during the Royal Variety Performance? I posted some videos about her appearances in the 1950s.
Royal Variety Performance - Page 3 - The Royal Forums

The Queen was stunning in the 1950s, Margaret in the 60 and 70s, Diana in the 80 and 90s and now we have Kate.

And I loved this picture, taken in 2012.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...in_her_study_at_Balmora-a-8_1439914132204.jpg

In my opinion DOC has not to date hit the glamour stakes of H.M, Princess Margaret or Diana, Princess of Wales. Not by a long chalk, nor does she have the affection levels of H.M or Diana, Princess of Wales amongst the public. People are interested, she sells papers but it doesn't resemble The Diane Mania, I remember. I could be very wrong, that is just my opinion and observation.

You are not wrong. She is popular with some people but there are many who question her commitment. Diana still sells more than she does and Diana has been dead for nearly two decades.

She will be remembered as the dutiful Queen who dedicated her life to the service of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy. It's the Prime Minister and politicians who are responsible for what happens, and I would say that living standards for most people is much better now than in 1952.

I agree, Have you seen her during the Royal Variety Performance? I posted some videos about her appearances in the 1950s.

Royal Variety Performance - Page 3 - The Royal Forums

The Queen was stunning in the 1950s, Margaret in the 60 and 70s, Diana in the 80 and 90s and now we have Kate.

And I loved this picture, taken in 2012.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...in_her_study_at_Balmora-a-8_1439914132204.jpg

And look at whose portrait is behind her and to the left? I've always loved Queen Victoria's Coronation Portrait. I always think I can see a bit of apprehension in her eyes behind the confident "air", for lack of a better term, of the Portrait. As if she's wondering, "Can I really do this?"

She certainly proved she could, didn't she?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

And look at whose portrait is behind her and to the left? I've always loved Queen Victoria's Coronation Portrait. I always think I can see a bit of apprehension in her eyes behind the confident "air", for lack of a better term, of the Portrait. As if she's wondering, "Can I really do this?"

She certainly proved she could, didn't she?

Interesting point. I didn't even notice that. Her Majesty has done a marvelous job. On a completely random note, is that a corgi plushy sitting on a side table? Wonder if she received it from a family member, or on one of the walkabouts...

The Queen apparently has a fondness for a Corgi plushy, don't we all? A photograph previously showed one, ever since her first, Susan she has loved them and allegedly has a flair for dog training. I know she is on every stamp in the land but wouldn't it be nice post the event, to have a special set of commerative stamps?

You are not wrong. She is popular with some people but there are many who question her commitment. Diana still sells more than she does and Diana has been dead for nearly two decades.

I have no doubt about her commitment.

I have no doubt about her commitment.

This thread is not about Diana or Kate, but I agree with you in this. I have no doubt about her (Kate's ) commitment either.

Last edited:
The Queen apparently has a fondness for a Corgi plushy, don't we all? A photograph previously showed one, ever since her first, Susan she has loved them and allegedly has a flair for dog training. I know she is on every stamp in the land but wouldn't it be nice post the event, to have a special set of commerative stamps?

I have two corgi plushies: one that I bought in Buckingham Palace gift shop, and another that my husband gave me back when we were dating, so I can definitely relate to Her Majesty :D.

I love how the room in that photo is just cluttered with stuff. From the tartan carpet, that has to be Balmoral?

I love how the room in that photo is just cluttered with stuff. From the tartan carpet, that has to be Balmoral?

Dearest Skippydoo, this photograph was unearth a few years ago, if my memory serves me correctly and yes I believe you are right it was taken at Balmoral. If one has spent six decades on the throne, what does a gal do with the assorted gifts one is given? One has to store the descendants belongings as well? Balmoral is her home and where HM goes to relax? If one can't have a plush Corgi and as you have proved all the best people do, along with other odds and ends there well it would be sad?

Dearest Skippydoo, this photograph was unearth a few years ago, if my memory serves me correctly and yes I believe you are right it was taken at Balmoral. If one has spent six decades on the throne, what does a gal do with the assorted gifts one is given? One has to store the descendants belongings as well? Balmoral is her home and where HM goes to relax? If one can't have a plush Corgi and as you have proved all the best people do, along with other odds and ends there well it would be sad?

I think I remember that picture being put out not too long ago alongside a photo taken of HM out on the grounds of Balmoral in full Order of the Thistle (I believe) regalia.

IIRC, it was also mentioned that HM had a pillow in that room which read "Its good to be Queen". :D

Well, we know that they love to give gag presents for Christmas. She could have got the stuffed corgi from the family.

I have a friend with 2 corgis - a tan/white one and a black tricolor. Last Christmas, I got her salt and pepper shakers in corgi form that kiss because there were magnets in their noses. What was cool, the shakers were colored just like 2 her two dogs.

I think I remember that picture being put out not too long ago alongside a photo taken of HM out on the grounds of Balmoral in full Order of the Thistle (I believe) regalia.

IIRC, it was also mentioned that HM had a pillow in that room which read "Its good to be Queen". :D

You're right, but she has other clothes on, so its must have been taken on another day.

This is the room where she holds her Balmoral audiences. This room appeared in the documentaries Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work (audience with Tony Blair 2007) and Our Queen (Audience with David Cameron 2013).

Queen documentary goes behind the scenes during Jubilee - BBC News

Cosy and comfy, one's sitting room: Cluttered with treasures and just a little bit messy, the Queen's private retreat | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
LONDON: After 63 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth next month becomes Britain’s longest-ruling monarch but there is little prospect of her stepping aside, as other ageing European crowned heads have done, in favour of her son, Charles.

Those close to Elizabeth - who on Sept. 9 takes the long-service record from her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria - say the 89-year-old has no intention of succumbing to the European fashion for abdication.

That means Prince Charles, 66, already a record-holder himself as Britain’s longest-serving heir apparent, will have to wait longer still until he becomes king.

“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family,” Elizabeth said in a 21st birthday broadcast to the nation in 1947.

The milestone of overtaking Victoria has already prompted speculation as to whether Elizabeth might step aside.

When asked if abdication were a possibility, a senior palace source told Reuters: “Life means life.”

The religious overtones to a British coronation are deeply symbolic for Elizabeth, who as queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

“The queen won’t abdicate, she must not abdicate, there’s absolutely no reason for her to abdicate and indeed constitutionally and religiously she cannot abdicate: she is an anointed queen,” royal historian Hugo Vickers told Reuters.

Read more: Nearing milestone, Queen Elizabeth shows no sign of stepping aside

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 8h8 hours ago
The BBC will show a documentary called "The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria” marking HM becoming UK’s longest-reigning monarch.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7h7 hours ago
The documentary, broadcast on 6th September, will compare the long reigns of both Elizabeth II and her great-great-grandmother Victoria.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 8h8 hours ago
The BBC will show a documentary called "The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria” marking HM becoming UK’s longest-reigning monarch.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7h7 hours ago
The documentary, broadcast on 6th September, will compare the long reigns of both Elizabeth II and her great-great-grandmother Victoria.
Nice :) Will be fun to see :) (God forbidd something happens on like... the 7th!)

Nice :) Will be fun to see :) (God forbidd something happens on like... the 7th!)

You read my mind. In Russia, it's considered bad luck to celebrate any personal milestones before they actually occur. I was thinking that if something (heaven forbid) were to happen, we'd be preparing for something entirely different. I'm crossing my fingers that all will be well, and we'll see Her Majesty reigning for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom