Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for tommorow to arrive!

I read a day ago or so than a certain journalist said the queen hasn't done anything so extraordnary but keeping on the "firm" or something along those line. Well, isn't that one of the major achievements that a monarch is supposed to do?

My congratulations ma'am...

I read that the bells on Big Ben are going to toll at the exact time she surpasses the record. Does anyone know exactly when that moment is?

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

I read that the bells on Big Ben are going to toll at the exact time she surpasses the record. Does anyone know exactly when that moment is?

No, since it's not known when Victorias uncle passed away, they can only make an estiment.

No, since it's not known when Victorias uncle passed away, they can only make an estiment.

I know for a fact he died at 2:12 am on June 20th, 1837, and Victoria died around 7 pm or so (not sure) on January 22nd, 1901.

Actually it not known what time the Queen father passed away as he died in his sleep. It was for sure after 1AM. Queen Victoria Uncle William IV died at 2:12am. Victoria died at 6:35PM

Actually it not known what time the Queen father passed away as he died in his sleep. It was for sure after 1AM. Queen Victoria Uncle William IV died at 2:12am. Victoria died at 6:35PM
Ah, I mixed it up :p The effect is the same though :p That there is only an estimated time :)

Ah, I mixed it up :p The effect is the same though :p That there is only an estimated time :)

Around midnight, George VI was seen fiddling with the window latch, so it had to be sometime after that. He was found dead in his bed in the morning, when he did not rouse to the sound of his bath running.

Last edited:
BBC news announced live that The Duke and Duchess are in residence in Cambridge at Balmoral ahead of H.M's historic day tomorrow.

Can't wait for tommorow to arrive!

I read a day ago or so than a certain journalist said the queen hasn't done anything so extraordnary but keeping on the "firm" or something along those line. Well, isn't that one of the major achievements that a monarch is supposed to do?

My congratulations ma'am...
. Do you mean the historian David Starkey? The BBC mentioned him again tonight and how The then, Princess Elizabeth spoke out allegedly against divorce in 1949, I believe but upon becoming Queen never discussed her personal opinion again.

Congratulations to Her Majesty and the British people.

One fact that most of us knew about Queen Victoria was that she was the longest reigning British monarch. That is true no longer. This week, Queen Elizabeth II surpasses her illustrious predecessor’s 63 years and seven months on the throne, a timespan that defined an era. Although she had initially intended to spend the day quietly at Balmoral, Her Majesty has acknowledged the clamour for her to be seen on such a momentous occasion.

But she has eschewed any celebration and has opted to perform another of those duties that many of her age might find onerous by opening a new railway line in the Scottish Borders. It is characteristic of the Queen that she should mark this achievement by emphasising her commitment to public service. She has been the most dutiful of monarchs, and even ardent republicans cannot fault her selfless dedication to the country and its people.

During her reign she has probably met and been seen by more people than any other figure in history. Queen Victoria might have been the empress of almost half the world but she lived much of her later life in self-imposed isolation after the untimely death of Prince Albert.
Read more: We are lucky to live in the New Elizabethan Age - Telegraph

More from this article

Telegraph View: A fixed point in an ever-changing world, Queen Elizabeth II has anchored and sustained her subjects

In this democratic age, it is easy to be cynical about hereditary rule. Is it not anachronistic and irrelevant in the 21st century? And yet, as Charles Moore pointed out at the weekend, those countries whose heads of state are constitutional monarchies are among the most stable, secure and democratic in the world.

Being above politics, a monarch is free from the taint that can attach to presidents, since even those who are ceremonial figureheads will invariably have had a political career. With no such baggage to carry around, the Queen has scrupulously observed her constitutional role while dispensing wisdom and advice in private to the 12 prime ministers of her reign. By dint of her longevity, most people alive today were born during the Queen’s reign.

As with Victoria, she may also come to be associated with an historical era, the New Elizabethan Age, one marked by an unparalleled period of economic growth, technological advance and political stability. Arguably, this may all have happened without the Queen; but for most of this time the nation has felt more at ease with itself knowing she was there, a fixed point in an always uncertain world.

And here's papers. Although there is no official celebration, The Telegraph, The Sun and The express is going big, and most papers have souvenir editions.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COaLeuoUsAAhvYI.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COaTlmmUAAAmUG4.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COaDOYnUkAA6QlI.jpg:large

Queen Set To Become Longest-Serving Monarch

The Queen's official picture released on day her reign surpasses that of Victoria | Daily Mail Online
An official picture of the Queen still hard at work has been released on the day she becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history.

The Queen was described as a 'beacon of womankind' by celebrity photographer Mary McCartney who captured the image of her sitting at a desk in Buckingham Palace working on matters of state.

Later today, she will pass the record set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria, who reigned for 63 years and 216 days between 1837 and 1901.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/08/23/2C13654300000578-0-image-a-16_1441751418526.jpg

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II becomes Britain's longest-reigning monarch later when she passes the record set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.

The Queen will have reigned for 63 years and seven months - calculated at 23,226 days, 16 hours and approximately 30 minutes at about 17:30 BST.

Prime Minister David Cameron will lead tributes in the House of Commons and there will be a River Thames salute.

The Queen, who is 89, will spend the day on official duties in Scotland.

The exact moment the Queen reaches the milestone is not known because her father, George VI, passed away in the early hours of 6 February 1952.

Business in the Commons will be postponed for half an hour so MPs can pay tribute to the Queen.

On the Thames, a flotilla of historic vessels, leisure cruisers and passenger boats will take part in a procession between Tower Bridge and the Houses of Parliament.

The bridge will lift as a sign of respect and HMS Belfast will sound a four-gun salute.

The BT Tower in central London will scroll the message "long may she reign".
Read more: Queen Elizabeth II becomes longest-reigning UK monarch - BBC News

Queen hailed as 'rock of stability' as she prepares to become longest-reigning monarch - ITV News
The Queen has been hailed as a "beacon of womankind" and a "rock of stability" as tributes poured in on the day she is due to become Britain's longest-reigning monarch.

Although the exact time she will achieve the record is not known, but the Palace estimates that Her Majesty will surpass her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria by a few minutes at 5.30pm, having reigned for approximately 23,226 days, 16 hours and 30 minutes.

To mark the occasion, a new picture taken by celebrity photographer Mary McCartney - the daughter of former Beatle Sir Paul - has been released.

It shows the head of state sitting at her desk in Buckingham Palace undertaking official business.

With quiet diplomacy, the Queen single-handledly saved monarchy | The Times
Today, as the Queen passes Queen Victoria’s record as Britain’s longest reigning monarch, history is being made. Yet amid all the talk of her longevity, historians and biographers have pointed to an achievement of far greater significance — that it is thanks to the Queen that the monarchy has survived at all. They argue that it is the Queen’s greatest accomplishment that not only is the monarchy still with us but that it is at the centre of national life, while republicanism struggles to be anything other than a minority concern.

Even today’s event, when the Queen travels from Edinburgh on a steam train with Nicola Sturgeon to open the Borders Railway, is an opportunity to see her “quiet diplomacy” at play.

Two women united by a love of Scotland and separated by how they see the future of the country: on paper a disaster but, says Robert Lacey, who has written a number of biographies of the Queen, it will be another triumph.

The Cambridge historian Robert Tombs, author of The English and Their History, said that the “healthy survival” of the monarchy was due to the Queen.

Queen Elizabeth II set to become Britain's longest-serving monarch | Royal | News | Daily Express

Queen Elizabeth II celebrates becoming our longest-serving monarch | Royal | News | Daily Express

As Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II surpasses Queen Victoria’s record as the longest reigning monarch on Wednesday, celebrating the simple endurance of this redoubtable, duty-bound sovereign offers a chance to consider the benefits Canada receives from her mere presence as our head of state, and to explain the continuing importance of the Crown in Canada...

...Trying to persuade the monarchy’s detractors is not unlike trying to explain an opera to someone fixated on the plot and for whom the music is irrelevant. Nevertheless, here goes. Let’s establish three unassailable facts:

The Crown exists;

It is virtually impossible to eliminate; and

It works better than most Canadians appreciate.

I presume I don’t have to prove that that the Crown of Canada exists and has existed since the first European incursions in the New World. It was against the Crown that the First Nations waged war, made peace and signed treaties. It existed in both the French and British colonial periods. It existed and was crucial throughout the period leading up to and after Confederation. It infuses our parliamentary, social and geographical history.
Read more: John Fraser: Long live the Queen and the values her institution upholds | National Post

The Queen in 1952 could not have imagined the Britain of today, DOMINIC SANDBROOK says | Daily Mail Online
There is a lesson there for Britain’s politicians. Perhaps the route to public affection lies not, as they often think, in slavishly following fashion, but in sticking to the values of service, responsibility and self-discipline that the Queen learned as a child in the Twenties.

I know that i've posted this picture here before, but she is so beautiful on it, so I post it again.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/09/00/004F04E200000258-0-image-a-121_1441755809693.jpg

Must be special for The Queen to have the Cambridge's at Balmoral with her on this great day.

Must be special for The Queen to have the Cambridge's at Balmoral with her on this great day.
I agree! I wouldn't be surprised if they'll end up talking (well, listening to her) about alot of past events during this visit. Usually around things like this one tend to get more philisophical and how nice for her to share that with them :)

Elizabeth became Queen when I was just a few months old.
I fully appreciate the historic significance of this milestone in her reign - and in our lives.
I'm grateful to live in a country where, as the old Book of Common Prayer has it, "that under her we may be godly and quietly governed."
God bless Her Majesty.

Maybe is stupid question but behind the queen is a photo of a bride who is it?

The black and white photo?

I believe its her late mother,H.M.The Queen Mother.

Yes, it's the Queen Mother, but not as a bride - just an oval shaped photo, which from a distance looks like she is wearing a veil!

I agree. When I looked at the photo initially, it did look like a bride, therefore the wedding pictures for the Queen Mother do not match but when I enlarged the photo it isn't a wedding photo, therefore it does look like the Queen Mother :flowers:

Last edited:
This photograph of The Queen by the renowned British photographer Mary McCartney has been released to mark the moment Her Majesty becomes the longest reigning British Monarch later today.

The photograph was taken at Buckingham Palace in July in The Queen's private audience room. Her Majesty is seated at her desk, with one of her official red boxes.
https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=cd2ccb821bbb585182603a1cdd1917dc&oe=565D77CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom