Queen Elizabeth as Monarch, Mother and Grandmother

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the article Lumutqueen. It's always interesting to read about insights to the Queen's life, even though it is the Daily Mail, of which I am not a great believer in. I would love to see the Queen off duty more often, but I think she likes it that way; the less we know of her private life, the better.

This is my favorite part:

And it is one of the reasons why this long, strong and very happy marriage has sailed through its diamond anniversary and is heading for platinum.

‘There are some people who don’t need many friends,’ says a close friend of the family. ‘And those two, they’re just a real love story —taking tea together every day, talking about everything. He might take out a letter and read it to her, or crack a joke. They just adore each other.’

:in_love:

I think that William (as a future Monarch) would always have his calls answered.

Many successful marriages are based on the couple spending most of its time together, preferring each other to friends. It's certainly a tradition in my family - especially on my mom's side.

I think the Queen and her Prince always look very happy together.

She may be Queen of the united kingdom and the commonwealth realms but to her husband the duke of Edinburgh she Is lillibet, to her children she is mom and Queen and to her grandchildren she is granny:)

:previous: Hahahahaha! While reading that, I began to have a craving for a bacon sandwich. Will "turkey breakfast strips" do, I wonder? That's all that I have in the freezer.:lol:

She may be Queen of the united kingdom and the commonwealth realms but to her husband the duke of Edinburgh she Is lillibet, to her children she is mom and Queen and to her grandchildren she is granny:)

Based on Charles' speech at the Golden Jubilee to her children the Queen is 'Mummy' just as the Queen Mum was still 'Mummy' to the Queen even when she was into her 70s.

We do have a number of references to Philip calling her 'cabbage' as well.

BMC said:
Absolutely amazing to actually hear HM comment on her work and life.

I love this video! Especially the dancing!

What a great video. It seems you learn so much from seeing these videos, what her thoughts are and how she feels about things. It makes you feel a litter closer to her, like you get to know her as just Elizabeth. :)

Delightful articles! Thank you for sharing. It's lovely to read about Eugenie's relationship with her Granny. I remember raspberry picking as a child, and it's a lot of fun, especially when you're doing with someone who's an expert :D. I bet Her Majesty loves hearing about her granddaughter's time at uni. She definitely strikes as a very doting, devoted and fun grandmother.

The costs of being QEII

There is no doubt , that the Queen has made many sacrifices over the past 60 years to be able to do her duty. My question is: Has it been worth it?
I know she has not had any choice in the matter of her job. I just wonder, being a mother of 4, she might wish to have done things differently.

What do you think?

Her uncle abdicated when she was 10, or there about. From that point on, she knew her fate, and did her best to do it to the best of her ability. I don't think there is another person past, present or future could have done a better job in this time in our history. She may not remember what she wanted to do when she grew up. After all, she was just a child.

Differently in what way? Different in the way she would have spent more time with her kids? Or her husband? I dont quite understand the question.

I am in no way meaning to demean the Queens devotion too duty or her country. I am not British and as such have an outside perspective on her. It just seem to me that her devotion may have had serious consequenses for her children and therefore she perhaps feel the price has been to high.
I myself am a carrier woman and I constantly live with a guilty conscience towards my family

Her uncle abdicated when she was 10, or there about. From that point on, she knew her fate, and did her best to do it to the best of her ability. I don't think there is another person past, present or future could have done a better job in this time in our history. She may not remember what she wanted to do when she grew up. After all, she was just a child.

There is no doubt , that the Queen has made many sacrifices over the past 60 years to be able to do her duty. My question is: Has it been worth it?
I know she has not had any choice in the matter of her job. I just wonder, being a mother of 4, she might wish to have done things differently.

What do you think?

She's made sacrifices in her life but she's also been privileged in a way that the majority of us can only dream of, both in terms of wealth and status but also in terms of the people she's met, the places she's been and the role she's played as a world figure. I think Elizabeth, the person, has been fortunate enough to be inherently well suited to her role, in that she seems to be quite content to play the hand she's dealt and do what's expected of her, without over thinking things.

I don't believe she and Prince Philip would have had a drastically different family life if she hadn't been Queen. My impression is that their children's upbringing wasn't atypical when compared to that of their peers in the British upper class.

I think you are right. She has lived an, extremely, privileged life. Even if she never became queen, she would have never had to worry about where her children would go to school, have jobs, how she could afford to pay her mortgage. She has done her job well and many people would have loved to do a job that had all the perquisites. She doesn't make any arrangement for trips, how she would get there, pack her own clothes. Her children, have inherited great wealth and power and live lives that suit them. No one is scrubbing floors. Her husband, possibly would not have married her, if she was not the heir. But she would have found someone. She seems to be a kind, decent woman and that is her inherent personality. I don't, beleive she has change life in this world for the better or the worse.

To regret the actions one takes is to imply that there was a choice to be made. For the Queen there was no choice, no question of not devoting herself body and soul to the duty which she believes God has given her.

I don't think the Queen has ever been a 'what if?' kind of person. She's of the same generation as my grandparents and they were taught not to dwell on what might have been. They just 'got on with it' and I think the same can be said of the Queen. Her first and foremost job has been to ensure that the monarchy remains relevant and valued so that she can pass on the baton to the next in line. I think she has more than succeeded in doing so.

Really? Her advice, positive or negative has contributed to the decisions made by the last 12 PMs of one of most powerful countries in the world. She has done this for 60 years. No contribution Good or Bad?

Her advice, positive or negative has contributed to the decisions made by the last 12 PMs of one of most powerful countries in the world.

We don't know that, whatever advice HM gives to those PMs could be ignored at the drop of a hat. They don't have to take on what she says.

The only cost is that HM hasn't been able to be the daughter of the second son of a monarch, and we know that if Edward hadn't abdicated but hadn't married Elizabeth would have become Queen anyway. Her life as the daughter of the second son, I imagine would not have been that different from the life she leads now, it would have been controlled, organised and ruled just like today.

Elizabeth was never going to have a normal life like most of us do, so what has she actually lost?

Back
Top Bottom