Queen Elizabeth as Monarch, Mother and Grandmother

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a film of the royal family there was a wonderful scene in Balmoral of the family doing a Scottish reel. The Queen mother dancing, and Prince Andrew almost whirls Princess Anne off her feet with the queen looking a bit worried and seems to be standing ready to catch the princess in case she falls. Charming.
I think the Queen may be more affectionate than people think, she saves all her emotions for when she is out of the public eye.

:previous: Unless it was the above spoof, I don't remember seeing anything like that. But that, of course, doesn't mean that it didn't happen.:flowers:

In a film of the royal family there was a wonderful scene in Balmoral of the family doing a Scottish reel. The Queen mother dancing, and Prince Andrew almost whirls Princess Anne off her feet with the queen looking a bit worried and seems to be standing ready to catch the princess in case she falls. Charming.
I think the Queen may be more affectionate than people think, she saves all her emotions for when she is out of the public eye.

Here is the video: The dancing starts at 9:04

Queen Elizabeth II Reflects on her life, rare footage - YouTube

:previous: Unless it was the above spoof, I don't remember seeing anything like that. But that, of course, doesn't mean that it didn't happen.:flowers:

This one isn't a spoof. I remember the documentary quite well.

I was answering KittyAtlanta's post, Iluvbertie. I couldn't remember a video of the Queen dancing with William or Harry, although I do remember the Balmoral one.:flowers:

This one isn't a spoof. I remember the documentary quite well.

That clip of Andrew and Anne is charming and is exactly what a lot of brothers would do to their sisters! I can imagine my own brother doing the exact same thing, spinning me round much faster than normal, laughing at it all. What a lovely clip.

I think it's hard to tell what kind of a mother the Queen is, as she is ever so private. We are able to see her interact with her grandchildren, which is always lovely to see. The video of her with the grandchildren at Balmoral is lovely, particularly her interactions with them all. The image she chose of her with Louise and James for the Windsor Horse Show was another sentiment at how much she adores her grandchildren. I think perhaps it is her way of showing her own children she loves them, in her own little way.

As someone previously mentioned, it is difficult to be a Queen and raise children, which is why they are often raised by Nannies. They still use nannies for Royal grandchildren as Edward and Sophie's nanny is ALWAYS with them when they are with their children. It must have been difficult for the Queen when she became Monarch because, as much as she would have loved to have stayed with her young children, she had duties to carry out which she pledged to do so. In earlier images you can see the Queen with young Charles and Anne on swings and playing; they all look very happy. One image I have in my mind is the one of Prince Charles pushing Princess Anne into a window which the Queen is standing by. Quite adorable.

This is such a happy video. It gives me the "warm fuzzies."

Yes, same here :wub:. They're just a family, celebrating the newest member, with children running around and being themselves, and adults taking pleasure in watching them.

Yes, same here :wub:. They're just a family, celebrating the newest member, with children running around and being themselves, and adults taking pleasure in watching them.

I think the most revealing video I've seen (and I'm sure its around here somewhere) is Andrew and Sarah's wedding day when they are starting to leave on their honeymoon from BP and you actually see HM chasing after the carriage. If I remember right, its not so visible but who she was chasing was William who decided to run after it. I'd LOVE to see that one again.

I love the interaction between Her Majesty and Zara in this video. It deals with Harry's Christening, and the clip I'm talking about is a little further into the video.

Prince Harry's Christening & William Being A Little Devil! - 1984 - YouTube
Never seen this before- 3 things strike me about this video-
- How loving and warm Charles and Di were with their kids. Yes, they had nannies, but they knew their kids. Charles was so warm toward William- surprising to me, because that is not the way he was portrayed in the media. But you can tell he genuinely loves his sons in this video.
Diana with her boys- well she was Diana...;)
- Love Zara and the Queen talking about Dash the dog.:lol:
- Never heard the Queen Mum's voice before, no doubt she and the Queen are related, their voices sound so much alike!

- How loving and warm Charles and Di were with their kids. Yes, they had nannies, but they knew their kids. Charles was so warm toward William- surprising to me, because that is not the way he was portrayed in the media. But you can tell he genuinely loves his sons in this video.

This was one of the things that Diana promoted unfortunately - that she was the loving parent and that he wasn't, even though anyone who truly looked at Charles with the boys could see things differently. Diana never said - Charles is hopeless with the boys and anything like that but she never came out and publicly acknowledged how good he was with the boys. The media, on Diana's side in the War of the Wales, then promoted this idea as well - as it was another way to attack Charles.

Always looked good with the boys but still spent relatively little time with them once they started boarding school as they spent the majority of their time at school and by then she and Charles were separated so spent about 6 weeks a year with them.

Always lovely to see the Queen connecting with her children and grandchildren.

- Never heard the Queen Mum's voice before, no doubt she and the Queen are related, their voices sound so much alike!

She only ever gave one interview so unless you met her or heard a speech that she gave it isn't strange that you haven't heard her speak.

I think the most revealing video I've seen (and I'm sure its around here somewhere) is Andrew and Sarah's wedding day when they are starting to leave on their honeymoon from BP and you actually see HM chasing after the carriage. If I remember right, its not so visible but who she was chasing was William who decided to run after it. I'd LOVE to see that one again.

Yes, my mother absolutely loves that moment as well, and it shows how concerned the Queen is about her grandchildren. I can't seem to find the video either though...:ermm:

Always looked good with the boys but still spent relatively little time with them once they started boarding school as they spent the majority of their time at school and by then she and Charles were separated so spent about 6 weeks a year with them.
RR-I would think she wished she could spend more time with them, but they had to attend school of course, and they had to spend time with Charles.
It's not like she saw them only 6 weeks a year, because she disliked seeing them.
Most important, was not time spent, but that Di and Charles were loving parents.

She only ever gave one interview so unless you met her or heard a speech that she gave it isn't strange that you haven't heard her speak.
Seems to me she also did a video recording about her life for the Royal Archives at Windsor.

Last edited:

I loved when Zara asked if the puppy would bite, and Her Majesty said that he might after he's done with her :ROFLMAO:. You could tell she was having a blast by the animation in her voice, and Zara looked at her Granny with such adoration.

I loved when Zara asked if the puppy would bite, and Her Majesty said that he might after he's done with her :ROFLMAO:. You could tell she was having a blast by the animation in her voice, and Zara looked at her Granny with such adoration.

I adored that moment! Little Zara was so adorable and Peter had such a shock of blonde hair. Blonde hair is definitely a Windsor trait! The little moment when Diana calls Zara to her and Peter and Zara are talking to baby Harry - so cute.

I love the image of HM running after William at Andrew and Sarah's wedding. William looked a picture in his sailor's outfit, so adorable. I also think there's a moment in that clip where Charles has Harry or William on his shoulders I believe.

I adored that moment! Little Zara was so adorable and Peter had such a shock of blonde hair. Blonde hair is definitely a Windsor trait! The little moment when Diana calls Zara to her and Peter and Zara are talking to baby Harry - so cute.

I love the image of HM running after William at Andrew and Sarah's wedding. William looked a picture in his sailor's outfit, so adorable. I also think there's a moment in that clip where Charles has Harry or William on his shoulders I believe.

I was shocked at how light-haired all the kids were. Zara seems to be the only one from that set of grandkids that still has hair color similar to that of her childhood.

Zara had so much fun tickling Harry :wub:. I think she'll be a great Mom when the time arrives.

I was shocked at how light-haired all the kids were. Zara seems to be the only one from that set of grandkids that still has hair color similar to that of her childhood.

Zara had so much fun tickling Harry :wub:. I think she'll be a great Mom when the time arrives.

I think the blonde hair may come from Philip's Greek side perhaps? Anne and Edward were both very blonde as children. Louise is also very blonde. I think she'll be like Zara and maintain her light hair as her mum also has light hair. Obviously Zara and Sophie dye their hair but you can see it's quite light underneath. I think the blonde hair looked lovely on all on the young Royals - they looked angelic!

I think the blonde hair may come from Philip's Greek side perhaps? Anne and Edward were both very blonde as children. Louise is also very blonde. I think she'll be like Zara and maintain her light hair as her mum also has light hair. Obviously Zara and Sophie dye their hair but you can see it's quite light underneath. I think the blonde hair looked lovely on all on the young Royals - they looked angelic!

The Queen was blonde as a child as well so it is just as likely that the blonde hair comes from her as it is from Philip - and as they have so much common ancestry that would only strengthen that gene.

Remember Phillip's Greek family, were Danish and German. The Greek Royal family had no Greek blood.

Thank you Lumutqueen. What an absolutely wonderful article. I do love all the photographs they selected to represent all the different moments in her life.

Last edited:
I would've loved to have seen the pic of HM throwing stuff at Prince Phillip!! :ROFLMAO:

If I were the hostess I would have said, " I thought you looked familiar." Or " I thought I recognized you Ma'am".:lol:
Mind you, couldn't do it with a straight face!:lol:

Last edited:
Wonderful article. Thank you very much for posting this link, Lumutqueen. :)

Back
Top Bottom