Queen Elizabeth as Monarch, Mother and Grandmother

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What Elizabeth and Philip did to Charles was awful, but I know that is what was done at the time, to leave them in the hands of a nanny and go of to do her royal duties.
She has learnt her lesson with her grandchildren, and I think takes a lot of time to be with them.

I also think that since the death of Diana, HM has felt it is her duty as grand mother to spend a bit more time with W & H, and that has probably broiught them all a bit closer

My grandparents seldom hugged or kissed my mother or my uncle. They loved them but the cultural backgrounds (Sweden, Northern and Eastern Europe) that they came from kissing and hugging was something which was not done on a regular basis. It was believed at the time that hugging or kissing a child too often would spoil them or make their chilldren too dependent on them. They showed their love in other ways. For example by having all kinds of pictures everywhere of family members was one way. The Queen, like my parents and grandparents grew up in a different era.

Royal child or children of very wealthy individuals are raised very differently than your average person. I was raised by my mother and maternal grandmother (my dad left when I was 5 years old). They were very hands-on as far as day to day parenting. A lot of royal children or children of wealthy individuals don't always get hands-on parenting (they usually have nannys that do the day to day parenting).

I remember many years ago talking to a woman who was from Belgium and who grew up in a upper class background. She had a nanny who basically took the role of mother. If I didn't know that she had a nanny growing up, I would have thought that the nanny was her mother (her parents were distant). When she had problems or difficulties, she would call her nanny (who she was very close to years after she left her parents employ), rather than her mother. She went to college near where her nanny lived. She had lunch with her and often had dinner with her. Her parents didn't seemed to be upset by the arrangement which to me was very strange. She thought my mother and grandmother were strange for being hands-on parents.

I have read that QEII is a very caring granny and especially William has close ties with her.

Grandmothers dotes on their grandchildren. It's very interesting when you hear your parents tell you that your grandparents are not as strict with you as they were with them. I'm sure that Prince Charles could probably attest to that in relationship to his sons.

I think the people who criticize the Queen for her actions at Di's death forget something: She was doing what her GRANDSONS needed--not what her self-absorbed subject needed. It's very telling, too, that only Charles has ever complained about his parents--the other 3 have only spoken out with the good. I do think the Queen/Philip should have removed Charles from the misery of Gordonstoun and let the press say what they want---I think that may be why Edward was able to quit the Marines. People also forget that Di had nannies for her boys, sent them to boarding school at age 8 and was a very typical upper class Mom. Her boys may not have "loved" having to be in all those photo ops with her either!

I think the people who criticize the Queen for her actions at Di's death forget something: She was doing what her GRANDSONS needed--not what her self-absorbed subject needed. It's very telling, too, that only Charles has ever complained about his parents--the other 3 have only spoken out with the good. I do think the Queen/Philip should have removed Charles from the misery of Gordonstoun and let the press say what they want---I think that may be why Edward was able to quit the Marines. People also forget that Di had nannies for her boys, sent them to boarding school at age 8 and was a very typical upper class Mom. Her boys may not have "loved" having to be in all those photo ops with her either!

I think you have raised a number of very interesting points.

People also forget that Di had nannies for her boys, sent them to boarding school at age 8 and was a very typical upper class Mom. Her boys may not have "loved" having to be in all those photo ops with her either!

Quite right.

Symbolism of the Queen in british society

Hello everyone! My name is Sanjin & I from Bosnia, and I'm writing an essay on "Symbolism of the Queen in british society". I would appreciate if you could help me and write your opinion on this subject and if you would be so kind as to answer my survey for class.Thank you for taking the time to complete this brief survey for my class project.

LINK: Survey provided by FreeOnlineSurveys.com

Thank you once again!

Could I just point out that there is one problem with the survery, the last question you have to rank The Queen's importance, it doesn't say whether 1 or 5 is the highest.

Could I just point out that there is one problem with the survery, the last question you have to rank The Queen's importance, it doesn't say whether 1 or 5 is the highest.

Sorry, but there was no option for this, when I was creating this survey. Anyway, 5 is the highest. Thank you!

Hello Sanjin, Welcome to the royal forums. My mothers family is from Mostar as well, with the family name of Markic and Knesovic. I hope you will enjoy it here.

Thanks Sanjo, I just completed this. Good luck with your essay, and if you would like to do any more surveys or ask questions about Britain/The Monarchy feel free to message me.

I am sure some of you have seen this but I think it is great to see the Queen enjoying time as a Grandmother!

‪The Queen with grandchildren at Balmoral‬‏ - YouTube

That was adorable :).

Some of my favorite moments included the 'Ow! That's my foot you're standing on!' said I believe to Princess Eugenie. I also loved the moment when Beatrice wanted to follow her older cousins on the trail, and Granny kept telling her that one day, when she's bigger, she'll go with them too. Though it would appear that when it became obvious the child was going to get a little more upset, she decided to have them venture out a little farther on the trail. I really enjoy watching those types of clips. They give a small glimpse inside the family dynamic.

And was that William who was leading Beatrice's horse? If so, what a gentleman, even at the young age.

Thank you for sharing.

LMAO, Eugenie had to weigh like 25lbs when she was standing on her grandma's foot.

What Elizabeth and Philip did to Charles was awful, but I know that is what was done at the time, to leave them in the hands of a nanny and go of to do her royal duties.
She has learnt her lesson with her grandchildren, and I think takes a lot of time to be with them.
I have no experience personally with this- my grandparents were doting on my parents, and they were doting on me. But I have heard of plenty of people, who said that they felt they were better grandparents than parents.
I have also read this in several press interviews with several older people in the public eye. So I do not think the Queen was alone in this.
What she and Phillip did to Charles was awful, but she did her best, with what she knew at the time, with a huge burden on her shoulders. What she did was unacceptable now, but back then, that was not the case.
I agree with you about how she is now as a grandmother.

Enjoyed watching the video.

It's interesting when you parents tell you that your grandparents were stricter with them than you. That's what I was told. Grandparents seem to have a lot more patience than the parents do. When you are a grandmother, you've raised children, so you know how they operate.

Perhaps I have an odd perspective on Her Majesty but I'll post it anyway.

My Mother was raised a Japanese aristocrat. In some ways, the Japanese were very much like the British. When my brothers and I were growing up, my Mother was never one for open displays of affection. She and I used to fight about it all the time when I was a teenager. I had the comparison of my father who was very open about displaying affection to us kids and to Mom as well.

Three months after my older son was born (and UI had a niece and nephew that were 11 months old), my oldest brother committed suicide. That event completely changed my Mom. It's a hell of a way to learn but in the aftermath of his death, she learned to value open, physical displays of affection such as hugging. As a result, my sons and the other grand-kids never felt the same lack of affection from my Mom that my brothers and I did when we were growing up. They never knew the doubt of whether she loved them because she was not typically American in her demonstration of affection.

I think the Queen had the same type of restraint when it came to showing affection. I also think that as times changed, she was able to change some along with it and become more openly affectionate. She will probably never be what one could call "doting" in public but if you are accustomed to dealing with a more restrained type of person, you can see all through her married life that she had genuine and deep feelings for both her children and her grandchildren. Naturally, being affectionate comes easier the longer you do it and I think that's a lot of what we are fortunate enough to get a peek into.

One of my favorite "Granny Lillibet" videos that I have ever seen is on YouTube. It is a short footage taken through a window showing Her Majesty and Prince William dancing together in a hallway or some such. They are dancing modern dance and you get glimpses of HM's face. She is having a wonderful time. If anyone wants, I'll dig it up and post it.

I am also going to take the opportunity to say something that has stuck in my craw for years. The so-called "cold speech" she gave after Diana's death....if you are familiar with that sort of restrained personality, you could see a ton of emotion in her face and voice. You could see and hear how much she was personally grieving and holding up for the sake of the Princes. I think she acted correctly in a nearly untenable position of choosing between her grandsons' needs and the desires of her subjects.

The one thing I have always gotten from her appearances is how deeply she loves and cares. I'm glad that she has lived long enough to be able to express her feelings more freely in private, if not always in public.

VictoriaStyles said:
Perhaps I have an odd perspective on Her Majesty but I'll post it anyway.

My Mother was raised a Japanese aristocrat. In some ways, the Japanese were very much like the British. When my brothers and I were growing up, my Mother was never one for open displays of affection. She and I used to fight about it all the time when I was a teenager. I had the comparison of my father who was very open about displaying affection to us kids and to Mom as well.

Three months after my older son was born (and UI had a niece and nephew that were 11 months old), my oldest brother committed suicide. That event completely changed my Mom. It's a hell of a way to learn but in the aftermath of his death, she learned to value open, physical displays of affection such as hugging. As a result, my sons and the other grand-kids never felt the same lack of affection from my Mom that my brothers and I did when we were growing up. They never knew the doubt of whether she loved them because she was not typically American in her demonstration of affection.

I think the Queen had the same type of restraint when it came to showing affection. I also think that as times changed, she was able to change some along with it and become more openly affectionate. She will probably never be what one could call "doting" in public but if you are accustomed to dealing with a more restrained type of person, you can see all through her married life that she had genuine and deep feelings for both her children and her grandchildren. Naturally, being affectionate comes easier the longer you do it and I think that's a lot of what we are fortunate enough to get a peek into.

***One of my favorite "Granny Lillibet" videos that I have ever seen is on YouTube. It is a short footage taken through a window showing Her Majesty and Prince William dancing together in a hallway or some such. They are dancing modern dance and you get glimpses of HM's face. She is having a wonderful time. If anyone wants, I'll dig it up and post it.***

I am also going to take the opportunity to say something that has stuck in my craw for years. The so-called "cold speech" she gave after Diana's death....if you are familiar with that sort of restrained personality, you could see a ton of emotion in her face and voice. You could see and hear how much she was personally grieving and holding up for the sake of the Princes. I think she acted correctly in a nearly untenable position of choosing between her grandsons' needs and the desires of her subjects.

The one thing I have always gotten from her appearances is how deeply she loves and cares. I'm glad that she has lived long enough to be able to express her feelings more freely in private, if not always in public.

** is this the video you are referring to? I hate to say but I'm pretty sure it's not real and is two actors pretending to be William and the Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu813iOsMdw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I completely agree with you about the Queen simply being a person with much restraint on her emotions IN PUBLIC. My father is the same way, I have no doubt he loves me and cares about me but he's not the hugging, etc type since that was the type of family he was brought up in. The Queen acted as she should after Diana's death -- plain and simple IMO. She took notice of those who matter (William and Harry) instead of the people outside the palaces who expected her to do something that was unprecedented and not in William or Harry's best interests.

That is the video I was referring to. I certainly hope it's really them and not a pair of actors because it is charming and quite a bit of fun. Of curse, if it really is them, then they are obviously having invaded what little privacy they do manage to get. :::sigh::: I guess there's no right in this one.

There are a number of things that say 'false' to me.

One the fact that it is through windows. Given how far the windows etc are from public viewing areas there is no way that anyone would be able to take that sort of footage.

Two - William doesn't really look like him.

The room looks fake - not as rich as the rooms at any of the palaces really are and too cramped.

Finally - at the end of the video it is 'created by xxxxx'.

Sorry but this simply screams false and fake to me.

I believe it's one of a series of videos made to spoof security breaches at the palace.

Rats, and it was such a charming video. Oh well, at least I have the consolation that their privacy was not invaded in that manner.

The creator of that video, Alison Jackson, is known for making video and photographic spoofs of the Royal Family. I think she did the one spoofing the Royal Wedding, the one where Prince Harry does hand-springs down the aisle.;)

Fake, but cute. I remember, some time past, that either Wills or Harry were filmed dancing with the Queen. Anyone else remember that???

Back
Top Bottom