The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere on the East Coast., United States
Posts: 695
Wasn't there something once said that Charles and/or Anne claimed they did not have a good childhood or that their parents were cold?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just hoping to clear up my own memory.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Wasn't there something once said that Charles and/or Anne claimed they did not have a good childhood or that their parents were cold?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just hoping to clear up my own memory.
I believe Charles did mention something of the sort in the Dimbleby book. There was a lot about Charles' early years he was unhappy with besides his parents.

Home life really had to be a horse of a different color when Charles and Anne were both small. Its a monumental change to go from being Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh to HM, The Queen and, as I've been reading, there were certain quarters that thought perhaps she wasn't ready or fit to be Queen. All of a sudden too, another woman went instantly from HM, The Queen to Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother and that in and of itself had to be a tremendous change. A family that sticks together can overcome these obstacles and I think the Windsor family did just that. Like any family, there are things that the kids didn't like or occasions where it was impossible to all be together and in the long run, the House of Windsor has not only survived but will survive for generations to come.

The contrast between Charles and Anne growing up and Andrew and Edward's childhood, I think, happens in a lot of families. With the first kid, you're playing with a blank rule book and with #2 coming relatively soon, its all trial and error and with the top job the parents had, a lot of criticism. When #3 and #4 came along it was more the case of "been there... done that" and was far more relaxed.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere on the East Coast., United States
Posts: 695
Thank you, Osipi. As always, you know the answers.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 08-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,733
Ah my dear grasshopper, its not knowing all the answers but being in the right place to learn some.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,804
The Jonathan Dimbleby biography about Charles claimed he felt pressured by Philip to marry Diana and that he was never in love with her, and that the Queen was a distant mother.

The book also claimed that he was bullied by Phillip, something I can believe.

I am no fan of Prince Philip, because he is not the kind of person that I usually like. I see him as a pretty cold person, and I don't think he was a good father. But he has been a great support too the Queen, and he he was a great support to William og Harry when their mother died.

And let's oss be clear, the Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as Anne said, she was not a bad / cold mother.
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 3,846
I found this video, about the christening of Zara Philps, the queen has Zara in her arms, lovely grandma


Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 08-27-2015, 03:17 PM
BritishRoyalist's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Jonathan Dimbleby biography about Charles claimed he felt pressured by Philip to marry Diana and that he was never in love with her, and that the Queen was a distant mother.

The book also claimed that he was bullied by Phillip, something I can believe.

I am no fan of Prince Philip, because he is not the kind of person that I usually like. I see him as a pretty cold person, and I don't think he was a good father. But he has been a great support too the Queen, and he he was a great support to William og Harry when their mother died.

And let's oss be clear, the Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as Anne said, she was not a bad / cold mother.



Very true. They may not have been a hands on mother but they were not cold and distance. And by the time they had their last two kids HM had been Queen for 8 years and Anne was by then 10. So some time had passed but she became queen when Charles and Anne were very young

I read somewhere King George V and Queen Mary were pretty cold and distance. That was quit different from George Parents as Albert Edward and Alexandra were the opposite of that. From what I have read Edward and Alexandra were loving and caring parents and pretty hands on but not as much as Charles and Diana were or even William and Catherine are now.

And of course we know what kind of Parents Victoria and Albert were. Queen Victoria was a adoring Grandmother but not with her own children.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,379
I think the late 1940's, 1950's when Charles and Anne were children was a very different era to the 1960/70's and the childhoods of Andrew and Edward. When Charles was a small child the court was a very formal one run by the grey men who had been there since before the war. The new Queen was very influenced by their advice on how to run things.

Nannies ruled the nursery. Mabel Anderson, Charles's first nanny was a very firm minded and rule driven person, it was said. She was devoted to her charges, Charles and Anne , but Princess Elizabeth/the Queen was cowed by her, apparently. She only screwed up the courage to challenge her when Nanny Anderson decreed that some food ordered for Charles by his mother was unsuitable. It resulted in Miss Anderson's dismissal.

I do think that, like Anne, the Queen isn't really a touchy-feely person, who hugs a lot. The Queen Mother probably was. I think Charles as a child probably needed a lot of hugs and demonstrations of love from his parents and didn't get it.

Nevertheless, the Queen was certainly relaxed enough to allow young Edward to play with his toys in a corner of her study while she was working, so it's very clear that things did change for the better over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,804
As my grandfather says "Anne is like her father. The Queen isn't like that at all. The Queen is shy and reserved, but she is very kind, warm, caring, forgiving, non-judgmental, calm and wise."

And according to the Robert Hardman book Our Queen, Phillip once said something like "The problem is that they (the children) are like me and not the Queen."

I agree with this, and as my grandfather says "they have all four inherited their father's stubbornness, temper, the feeling that they have to intervene in matters that don't benefit the monarchy, and the ability to be rude towards their staff.

And to those who say that the Queen is not emotional, they're wrong. She is raised to not show emotion in public, but she does in private. And we've seen her show emotion in public a few times. She wept When Britannia was taken away from her, she was close to tears, when she stood on the balcony for her Golden Jubilee in 2002 and she was in tears during the British Legion Remembrance Service at Westminster Abbey in 2002.

As Kent Gavin said "You don’t see the Queen crying very often. This was the first Remembrance Day service after her mother died – the Queen mother used to lay the wreath every year.

The Queen stood in for her and was visibly upset. I felt quite emotional as I saw the tears roll down her face.

Prince Philip has laid the wreath ever since."

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e5b4d598c...57s1o2_500.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...4/247132_1.jpg

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...ance%20Service

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/ar...-Elizabeth.jpg

From 3:40
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 08-28-2015, 05:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981



While this is very nice how do we know what she's like in private ? The fact that private means without us or cameras etc we haven't got any idea. She might a lovely person or she might not. We will never really know


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 08-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 680
If my recollection serves me correctly, Princess Anne also made a comment that growing up it was clear one was.not the first priority and H.M has spoken about how one cannot divide the job from ones life and occasionally resenting how much time the boxes take up.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 08-28-2015, 06:32 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,804
I wrote a bit more in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
While this is very nice how do we know what she's like in private ? The fact that private means without us or cameras etc we haven't got any idea. She might a lovely person or she might not. We will never really know


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Look at what the children and grandchildren says, look at what William wrote about her last week.
Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015 - Page 6 - The Royal Forums

And look at this post.
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh - Page 15 - The Royal Forums

I could have given you many more examples, but I will not discuss more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
If my recollection serves me correctly, Princess Anne also made a comment that growing up it was clear one was.not the first priority and H.M has spoken about how one cannot divide the job from ones life and occasionally resenting how much time the boxes take up.
And as I wrote in an previous post, the Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as Anne said, she was not a bad / cold mother.

This article is from 2002
My loving mother, by Princess Anne | Daily Mail Online
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
As my grandfather says "Anne is like her father. The Queen isn't like that at all. The Queen is shy and reserved, but she is very kind, warm, caring, forgiving, non-judgmental, calm and wise."

And according to the Robert Hardman book Our Queen, Phillip once said something like "The problem is that they (the children) are like me and not the Queen."

I agree with this, and as my grandfather says "they have all four inherited their father's stubbornness, temper, the feeling that they have to intervene in matters that don't benefit the monarchy, and the ability to be rude towards their staff.

And to those who say that the Queen is not emotional, they're wrong. She is raised to not show emotion in public, but she does in private. And we've seen her show emotion in public a few times. She wept When Britannia was taken away from her, she was close to tears, when she stood on the balcony for her Golden Jubilee in 2002 and she was in tears during the British Legion Remembrance Service at Westminster Abbey in 2002.

As Kent Gavin said "You don’t see the Queen crying very often. This was the first Remembrance Day service after her mother died – the Queen mother used to lay the wreath every year.

The Queen stood in for her and was visibly upset. I felt quite emotional as I saw the tears roll down her face.

Prince Philip has laid the wreath ever since."

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e5b4d598c...57s1o2_500.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...4/247132_1.jpg

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...ance%20Service

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/ar...-Elizabeth.jpg

From 3:40
You truly are a gem! Thank you for sharing the videos, and pictures. Her Majesty also showed emotion when in Westminster Abbey for her Diamond Jubilee. You could see how effected she was by Philip's absence. She shows emotion, but not in a dramatic, theatrical manner. It's dignified, yet very obvious that she's moved.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 10,139
In the title of the thread should be "and great-Grandmother"
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,379
I don't know whether this has ever been posted before. Apologies if it has but I thought it was quite an interesting discussion on the Queen as mother (and Philip as a father), if a bit long. (I found the comment by the Dean of Windsor regarding Anne's engagement as quite revealing, actually.)

The real Elizabeth II - Telegraph
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 04-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
What a great read thanks so much for posting. There is so much in there I agree about.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 04-25-2016, 12:32 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know whether this has ever been posted before. Apologies if it has but I thought it was quite an interesting discussion on the Queen as mother (and Philip as a father), if a bit long. (I found the comment by the Dean of Windsor regarding Anne's engagement as quite revealing, actually.)

The real Elizabeth II - Telegraph
I hadn't read that article in a while. The chaos of those days would make one's head spin. I bet they're happy those days are long behind them and things are in a more calm and stable state now.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 4,096
Thanks for posting that link, Curryong. I hadn't read the article before. I found it very interesting and consistent with the views I've formed about HM over the years.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 04-25-2016, 01:31 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
No matter if you're running a business or even a family, it needs an authoritative figure at it's helm to keeps everything and everyone in line and in check. Ignore problems, everything falls apart at some point.

The Windsors have been through some stuff indeed. I think The Queen learn some hard lessons since those days.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
elizabeth ii, family life, her children, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Brides Who Were Commoners CharlotteAmalia British Royal History 70 07-01-2011 03:07 AM
Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings Duchessmary Royal Jewels General Discussion 1392 04-29-2011 05:52 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names biography birth britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness coronation daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree gemstones george vi gradenigo hello! henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs japan jewellery kensington palace książ castle list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess eugenie queen louise royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech sussex suthida taiwan thai royal family united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×