Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Ireland - May 17-20, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, was it just me, but watching the news yesterday I thought that I saw one or two people introduced to HM in a line-up actually make small bows of acknowlegement?

Alex

I noticed that too,that was at Trinity College yesterday.

Why thank you An Ard Ri - I tend to 'watch the News' whilst catching up with the 101 things I have to do when I get home from work, with the result that I don't always 'look up in sufficient time' to catch the interesting bits of the transmission.

I therefore think that it was a very nice gesture on the part of those who acknowledged the Queen in this way; as a Republic, Irish Citizens are of course not duty-bound to do so, and in my very humble opinion this ranks as indicative of a very warm welcome.

Why thank you An Ard Ri - I tend to 'watch the News' whilst catching up with the 101 things I have to do when I get home from work, with the result that I don't always 'look up in sufficient time' to catch the interesting bits of the transmission.

I therefore think that it was a very nice gesture on the part of those who acknowledged the Queen in this way; as a Republic, Irish Citizens are of course not duty-bound to do so, and in my very humble opinion this ranks as indicative of a very warm welcome.

The vast majority of Irish people have welcomed the visit,from media reports the visit has so far gone very well.

Ofcourse there are people on both sides of the bitter divide that cannot move on,but thats their problem & they won't drag us down to their level.

I see this visit as another significant step forward for Anglo-Irish relations.

The British PM will be in Dublin later today.

Okay, I'm not one to be concerned with the clothes worn by royal ladies. But if I understand correctly the Queen went to lunch at the Irish presidential residence and then she and the President went to the Garden of Remembrance. Somewhere along the way she and the President both changed clothes. It just seems odd to me that, after a high profile lunch, they'd both scurry off to some odd room and change clothes. Am I missing something or does anyone else find that strange?

Okay, I'm not one to be concerned with the clothes worn by royal ladies. But if I understand correctly the Queen went to lunch at the Irish presidential residence and then she and the President went to the Garden of Remembrance. Somewhere along the way she and the President both changed clothes. It just seems odd to me that, after a high profile lunch, they'd both scurry off to some odd room and change clothes. Am I missing something or does anyone else find that strange?

Perhaps you should look to the sombreness of the occasion which took place after lunch.

Last edited:
I haven't got used to the "new" Taoiseach, Enda Kenny yet.

He cuts a good figure, compared with his predecessors.

I see this visit as another significant step forward for Anglo-Irish relations.

I do so hope you are right An Ard Ri. Without wishing to take the thread too off-topic, I do hope that a respectful way can be found to take Anglo-Ireland relations forward. For my own part, I often visit Dublin and did so at the height of the troubles; despite my very English accent, I was always treated with the utmost courtesy and politeness by everyone I encountered, and I do hope that the difficulties can now be put behind our two nations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do so hope you are right An Ard Ri. Without wishing to take the thread too off-topic, I do hope that a respectful way can be found to take Anglo-Ireland relations forward. For my own part, I often visit Dublin and did so at the height of the troubles; despite my very English accent, I was always treated with the utmost courtesy and politeness by everyone I encountered, and I do hope that the difficulties can now be put behind our two nations.

I'm very glad to hear that Diarist,I believe the majority here always treat our British visitors with respect & warmth that they deserve.(I have paternal British ancestry myself.)

The Queen & Duke visit the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin.

Getty Images

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Last edited:
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip during a tour of the Guinness Storehouse, one of Ireland's most popular sites, in Dublin, Wednesday May 18, 2011. Both the Queen and Prince Philip, on the second day of the first-ever state visit to Ireland, declined to taste the Irish stout.

Daylife gallery

What a lovely spring/summer outfit on the Queen.

Will there be an international incident because Liz and Phil declined to taste Guinness ?? :)

This from a huge fan of the beverage....

They seem genuinely interested in the GAA. Although I hope they don't freeze sitting out on the pitch

They seem genuinely interested in the GAA. Although I hope they don't freeze sitting out on the pitch

And the Irish weather seems to behaving itself Grace Chic,its cool but sunny !

Will there be an international incident because Liz and Phil declined to taste Guinness ?? :)

This from a huge fan of the beverage....

They might tonight at the State Banquet,personally I hate Guinness,so I don't blame them :p

Just looked at the (very good) RTE coverage, and it seems that some groups of protestors are quite small, such as the Republican party Eirigi who had fisticuffs with some members of the UDA....

Is it fair to say that both groups were actually not interested in the Queen but their own wranglings?

Garda expect further royal visit protests - RT News

Hi,

Very diplomatic of The Queen to arrive in green....

It would be great to see her in emeralds for the State Dinner.
I know of the Cambridge Emeralds but can someone post a picture of the Greville Emeralds, please??

Larry

I love the aquamarine clips with the blue outfit! Hurray!!!

As for Guiness, I hate it too. I had it when we were in Dublin and thought, hmmmm, no. Could I have a cold beer? Needless to say I got the strangest looks. :ROFLMAO:

Just looked at the (very good) RTE coverage, and it seems that some groups of protestors are quite small, such as the Republican party Eirigi who had fisticuffs with some members of the UDA....

Is it fair to say that both groups were actually not interested in the Queen but their own wranglings?

Garda expect further royal visit protests - RT News

There were around 30 protestors,the Republican party Eirigi are against the State Visit & will do anything the can to try & disrupt it.

To me their a bunch of hostile attention seekers,I always try to ignore them.

Last edited:
I'm listening to the news report on the BBC and there was a jeweller who said that the visit was a positive and they needed as much positivity as they could get at the moment. A local MP around the area of Croke Park said "we need as many friends as we can get at the moment" and that the visit by the Queen is a positive step.

Guests have started to arrive at Dublin Castle ahead of tonights State Dinner at St Patrick's Hall.

:britflag2: :irelandflag:

I've been watching the BBC news coverage of the banquet tonight and it's just so exciting to see such wonderful coverage of a state visit. I really am very impressed and delighted to see the President of Ireland interact so well with the Queen, and in such a friendly way. I hope that people around the world will see what a friendly welcome they would receive in Ireland and what lovely place it is to visit.

:potofgold:

Today was the first day in my life that I've been disappointed in the Queen as my head of state. She chose to lay a wreath at the 'Garden of Remembrance' which will have been very upsetting for many of her most loyal subjects here in Northern Ireland. The men commemorated there were trying to deny people like me and my family my British identity, thank God on this part of the island at least they failed.

I know these events are planned for the Queen by the government but I had hoped that she would refuse. I am very deeply disappointed that she did not.

I agree. A very political gesture, IMO, for one who is not supposed to be political. Shame on the government.

Politics could hardly have been avoided on this state visit, laying the wreath at the Garden was a beautiful simplistic gesture. The visit is designed to heal old wounds between the countries.

Politics could hardly have been avoided on this state visit, laying the wreath at the Garden was a beautiful simplistic gesture. The visit is designed to heal old wounds between the countries.

Agree with you Lumutqueen.

The arrival of Her Majesty The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh at Dublin Castle.

Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342905

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342869/WireImage

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342908

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342904

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342902

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II The Duke of Edinburgh on their State Visit to Ireland.
May 18, 2011

PPE Agency Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom