Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip: Visit to Northern Ireland - March 18-20, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessofEurope

Heir Apparent
City
Wiltshire
Country
United Kingdom
Pics 19.3.2008

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh
during their visit to Queen's University in Belfast,
Northern Ireland, 19 March 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Day 2 Visit to Northern Ireland
East Belfast Mission on the Newtownards Road
Her Majesty the Queen visits East Belfast Mission Hall // Northern Ireland Office // Media Centre / Media Detail

Private meeting at the Lodge of Queen's Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter Gregson where she meet Mary McAleese
Unveiling a stone engraved with a stanza written by Nobel laureate Seamus Heaney in the Lanyon building at Queens to mark the 100th anniversary of granting university status
Naughton Gallery at Queens to see anew exhibition featuring Northern Irish landscapes and the artwork for a new set of stamps issued by the Royal Mail to mark St Patrick’s Day
Luncheon in the Great Hall at Queens
Her Majesty The Queen attends centenary celebrations at Queen's University // Northern Ireland Office // Media Centre / Media Detail
Reception at Hillsborough Castle with Northern's Ireland's sporting greats
Her Majesty The Queen meets Northern Ireland Sports Personalities // Northern Ireland Office // Media Centre / Media Detail

BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Justice move key to royal visit
Queen's University Belfast | Press Releases
Queen's University Belfast: Centenary, 1908 - 2008

This is truly a historic visit which marks a closening of relations between the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain. Ever since the peacemaking accord between Ireland and Great Britain in 1998, observers have speculated that soon the Queen will make a state visit to the Republic of Ireland.

Here is an article from the BBC with a conversation from the Irish prime minister on why a British royal visit to the Republic of Ireland is inevitable.

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Irish Royal visit is 'inevitable'

The Queen met with the President of the Republic of Ireland, Mary McAleese on the second day of this week's visit in what was widely believed was a meeting to iron out the details for a future Royal Visit to the Republic of Ireland. McAleese ran into criticism for suggesting the Queen's visit had a link to for the transfer of policing and justice powers from the British authorities to the Stormont power-sharing executive. I'm not quite sure what Stormont is.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh unveiling the Centenary Stone to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Royal Charter of the Queens University in Belfast.

Following the ceremony Her Majesty was presented with a signed limited edition of “The Blackbird’s Nest”, an anthology of Queen’s poets. This must have been really interesting. I would if we could read that book for our book club. :D I wonder how many Poet Laureates the Queen has had in her reign. I do know that Daniel Day-Lewis' father who has some Irish blood was one of them.

I'm not quite sure what Stormont is.

Stormont is the metonym for the Northern Ireland Assembly. Just like "Westminster" refers to the British Parliament.

I think it's fantastic that relations have cooled from the boiling point to merely 'warm', and HM was able to visit. Let's hope the hotheads on both sides of the dispute keep their calm as well.

And to those who say that monarchy serves no purpose... there, right there, is the utility of monarchy. Send the Head of State into a situation which would be political suicide for an elected official. With absolutely no partisan ties to any specific government, and without beng required to answer to an electorate, a monarch head of state has the freedom (and yes, we know this was at the behest of both governments) to tread where the elected officials fear to, in order to bring stability, calm, and goodwill.

Three cheers for Her Majesty the Queen!

Well apparently some loyalists in the north have some issue with the Irish President's statements about the joint policing in Northern Ireland. I don't know whether the Irish President would have discussed such matters with the Queen even if they are high on the agenda.

The Queen is a figurehead and I would assume that if such discussions were on the agenda, Her Majesty would not be a part of them.

Stormont is the metonym for the Northern Ireland Assembly. Just like "Westminster" refers to the British Parliament.

Thanks wbenson. So I assume from your statement that Northern Ireland does not have complete self-rule?

That's correct. I'm not sure what powers the Assembly has, though. I think it's along the lines of the Welsh Assembly.

I agree with you, PrinceofCanada about the value of a non-partisan monarch. I wonder whether she'd be received with the same courtesy by all parties in the Republic of Ireland, though?

I think it's fantastic that relations have cooled from the boiling point to merely 'warm', and HM was able to visit. Let's hope the hotheads on both sides of the dispute keep their calm as well.

And to those who say that monarchy serves no purpose... there, right there, is the utility of monarchy. Send the Head of State into a situation which would be political suicide for an elected official. With absolutely no partisan ties to any specific government, and without beng required to answer to an electorate, a monarch head of state has the freedom (and yes, we know this was at the behest of both governments) to tread where the elected officials fear to, in order to bring stability, calm, and goodwill.

Three cheers for Her Majesty the Queen!

Well, some of the hardliners would of course barf out the usual BS that hardliners of all stripes tend to ooze. I think that by and large she would be received with appropriate respect.

Day 3 of Northern Ireland Trip
Visit ot the Royal School Armagh to mark the 400th anniversary of the 5 Royal schools in Ulster - by that i mean the 9 provinces north and south of the border ie Down, Antrim, Londonderry, Armagg, Tyrone, Fermangh, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal. The 5 Royal Schools are The Royal School Armagh, Portora Royal School, Enniskillen, The Royal School Dungannon, Cavan Royal School, and The Royal and Prior School Raphoe
Her Majesty The Queen visits Royal School Armagh // Northern Ireland Office // Media Centre / Media Detail

Maundy Service at St Patrick's Cathedral
The Queen attends Royal Maundy Service in historic visit to Armagh // Northern Ireland Office // Media Centre / Media Detail

Afterwards to the Deanery for a reception hosted by the Lord Chamberlain’s office for those taking part in the planning and delivery of the Royal Maundy Service. Later Her Majesty was guest of honour at a lunch in the Robinson library in the Deanery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom